The Student Room Group

TSR Non-Drinkers Freshers Thread 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Original post by textbookloser
completely agree with you guys, I'm a non-drinker at bristol uni (starting in a week) and I hope I find people who like doing things other than getting drunk and partying, like cultural activities, going for coffee and anything fun which doesn't require drinking. Really quite afraid of being the outcast when I go and having to justify my decision.

I feel the same. I will also be at Bristol and I really don't want to be forced to do something I don't like just so people will be friends with me.
Reply 781
Original post by truecolours995
No I'm not doing the Viking Raid - not my kind of thing either so don't see the point in doing it, I'm sure that there will be plenty of other people who don't go on it either :smile:

Yeah it's catered, I wanted self-catered but the accommodation system mess meant that there weren't any self-catered left anywhere, grrrr.

Yeah, I expect so. There probably aren't enough tickets for everyone anyway :smile:. Even during Fresher's Week in the college they have 'alternative' events on during the day. Have you got a James wristband?

Oh, that's annoying! I actually wanted Alcuin college :P but I've basically got the room I asked for, so I don't mind :smile:.
Eeeegh. Yeah, tried alcohol... I ended up groping my friend and getting yelled out of the party after 2 pints. Tasted like absolute ass too...

Guess all I can do now is hope she doesn't remember, because I'm torn up by guilt right now :/
Reply 783
I don't drink at parties but that's because I don't need to. I go crazy without alcohol and of course it attracts a lot of attention, in a good way of course. I get respected for it and that's pretty much all I need. As long as people don't criticise me not drinking then I'm fine with that.

I'm starting the 2nd year of uni and the partying will slow down but during freshers week I just go to have fun. I'm just glad I don't drink like some of my friends do... I don't think i'd survive lol!
Original post by em_cart
Yeah, I expect so. There probably aren't enough tickets for everyone anyway :smile:. Even during Fresher's Week in the college they have 'alternative' events on during the day. Have you got a James wristband?

Oh, that's annoying! I actually wanted Alcuin college :P but I've basically got the room I asked for, so I don't mind :smile:.

I'm getting it today I think, the events at night aren't my cup of tea but don't want to be seen as antisocial. It was annoying but I'm sure it will turn out alright :smile: The wristband is for the daytime activities and any 'alternative' events as well right?
Reply 785
Original post by GingerShortcake
I'm going to York and I don't really drink (I'm quite small so physically cannot drink that much!) I'm doing environmental geog and I'm at Derwent! What are you doing? :smile: Have either of you bought the uni fresher tickets things for the three main events?

Hey. I'm going to York as well. Was so pleased to find other people going to York on this thread! Getting a bit nervous too as Facebook is full of people discussing drinking and clubbing... Also noticed in the posts that you guys were talking about being 4"10... me too!!
Original post by MissElMo
Hey. I'm going to York as well. Was so pleased to find other people going to York on this thread! Getting a bit nervous too as Facebook is full of people discussing drinking and clubbing... Also noticed in the posts that you guys were talking about being 4"10... me too!!

Which college? So that makes 3 shorties!!? Which subject ? :smile: I know, drinking really isn't my thing!
Reply 787
Original post by Unfair Life
No one going to Surrey? :tongue: Although, I did see people on the Facebook page who had similar concerns, so it should be fine :smile:

Oooh, sorry this is a really late post, but I'm going to Surrey and I don't really drink either! :smile: Haha, I saw that conversation on facebook too where they were talking about forming a non-drinkers club, I would totally be up for that :tongue:
Original post by yousef95
Oooh, sorry this is a really late post, but I'm going to Surrey and I don't really drink either! :smile: Haha, I saw that conversation on facebook too where they were talking about forming a non-drinkers club, I would totally be up for that :tongue:

Yeah me too. People in my building are already talking about having a "massive pre-drinking session" :tongue:

But yeah it's good to find people who are also not drinking. What are you studying btw?
Reply 789
Original post by Unfair Life
Yeah me too. People in my building are already talking about having a "massive pre-drinking session" :tongue:

But yeah it's good to find people who are also not drinking. What are you studying btw?

Haha, I'd be the guy cracking out the orange juice for pre-drinks :tongue: I've met one other person in my flat who isn't big on drinking so that was reassuring :smile: I'll be studying maths, how about you? :smile:
Reply 790
Original post by GingerShortcake
Which college? So that makes 3 shorties!!? Which subject ? :smile: I know, drinking really isn't my thing!

I'm in James in catered accommodation. Haha yes I think so!! Economics and finance, you?? Apparently the uni hosts alternative evening events so I'm looking forward to them and to joining societies. :smile:
Reply 791
Original post by MissElMo
I'm in James in catered accommodation. Haha yes I think so!! Economics and finance, you?? Apparently the uni hosts alternative evening events so I'm looking forward to them and to joining societies. :smile:

Hey! I'm also in James college! Studying Biology :smile:. Have you got a wristband then? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 792
Original post by em_cart
Hey! I'm also in James college! Studying Biology :smile:. Have you got a wristband then? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! Are you catered?? I haven't got a wristband yet, but I plan to and then I can decide which events I go to. Have you got a wristband? :smile:
Reply 793
I'm at university campus Suffolk, anyone else going here who doesn't drink?
Original post by lilGem
I'm not alone :woo:

Future biologist here :hi:

Are you sure you are not a failed medic?
Reply 795
Original post by nothepreacher
Are you sure you are not a failed medic?

Yeah. . .
Original post by lilGem
Yeah. . .

I am sorry that was harsh and I didn't mean it. I was just testing the stereotype that someone who does biomed is automatically a medicine reject. Hope this brightens your day. :bath:
Hi guys! I don't really drink, have the occasional cider but never been drunk. :redface: I'm going to University of Bath on Saturday :smile:
Don't worry about not drinking - uni isn't based on alcohol (as much as some people would lead you to believe)
You will always find people who go out every night, people who go out once a month, and people who go out once a term. Like-minded people are everywhere... it's a melting pot of personalities.
Original post by yousef95
Haha, I'd be the guy cracking out the orange juice for pre-drinks :tongue: I've met one other person in my flat who isn't big on drinking so that was reassuring :smile: I'll be studying maths, how about you? :smile:

Lol yeah exactly. And that's good that you've found someone :smile: I'm studying accounting & finance. What accommodation do you have?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending