The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Psychology reading list

Hi, wanted to know whether anyone knows what's on the reading list, or has already purchased any books for the course? =)
Reply 1
Hi, I emailed the psychology department asking for a reading list and they emailed me back saying that you get the reading list when you get there?. X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
I've uploaded the course handbook that was given to use for 12/13. Some things will be the same, some things would have changed. E.g. Dr Coral Dando is no longer there so the Forensic and Criminal Psychology part of the course will be changed by whoever is the new lecturer.
Also, brace yourself Psychology freshers, the Psych dept. is perceived as hugely incompetent by most students as they often take the most counter-intuitive route with their course.
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies!
Reply 4
Original post by ryse
I've uploaded the course handbook that was given to use for 12/13. Some things will be the same, some things would have changed. E.g. Dr Coral Dando is no longer there so the Forensic and Criminal Psychology part of the course will be changed by whoever is the new lecturer.
Also, brace yourself Psychology freshers, the Psych dept. is perceived as hugely incompetent by most students as they often take the most counter-intuitive route with their course.

Any specifics on how the department is incompetent?
Reply 5
Original post by WWEGirl
Any specifics on how the department is incompetent?

They bombard you with cousework, in the first two terms: for 102 there are 15 web based assessments (WBA), and for 101 there are 10. Each WBA has 15-30 multiple choice questions, and thought you do them outside of class, they are not simply questions you can google, they are set in such a way that they require you to read long articles and reports. It's worth 20% of the first term and 20% of the second term. Whilst you have that to do, they also give you two reports and two essays to do, one in each term. Then there are also 4 class tests each term. With all these converging deadlines, you feel suffocated. They told us they believe there is psychological evidence to back up their constant testing mentality. Coming out of the first year, neither myself or my peers understood this, all it did was create too much stress.

They don't upload sufficient material onto their website that makes it clear what the essay or report requires. The WBA questions very frequently have mistakes in them, they can seem so awkwardly written that they come off as brainteasers, or they are just questions for the sake us asking questions. Here is an example of an odd question:

Spoiler

The correct answer was "wanting to make the other better". That doesn't make any sense, "A prosocial motive involves wanting to make the other better". How were we expected to select that as the correct answer if the answer make sense?
Prosocial behaviour are those directed towards another person that promote or sustain positive benefit to that person. So I don't see why our motive for that couldn't be 1. being rewarded for good behaviour 2. seeking to avoid own distress 3. thinking the other's distress is your own. So the answer could have been anything but the last answer, as it didn't make sense. This is just not one erroneous question out of many sound ones. There were many questions with problems. Sometimes it will be corrected by and the marks adjusted by the department, other times it won't. Even though overall the WBAs aren't worth much, we try to use it as reference to see how we're doing and when the questions let you down it's demoralizing.

When I flagged this up with the department on the board, the response I got was "this WBA is part of the 101 course. You have to take Hoffman's definition of a prosocial motive, and then I think the question does make sense, although I agree the language used could be more elegant! Best, Dina", The question did not tell us to go by Hoffman's definition, and Hoffman does not define it that way regardless, that sort of definition would not even make sense.

The department also seems to have a problem with making available the answers to the WBAs. Again, they have another philosophical justification just like their philosophy with obsessive compulsive testing. The response I got when I wanted to review WBA with correct answers was: "In general, we do NOT provide the correct answers as these are seen as a motiviation to revisit the questions you got wrong and to revise the areas. If after such a procedure you still cant determine the correct answer then you need to ask the tutor in the appropriate lab to explain." This sort of thinking is hugely flawed, as there are a number of reasons the answers need to be available, one big one being transparency. It is quite realistic that we can revisit a topic and still make the same errors. It takes far too long long to find a needle in a haystack looking for the where the right answer is.

When we were asked to produce an essay, we were given one example of one that was written very poorly and received a poor grade. When I requested an example of a well written essay, I was told that they won't provide this as it does not promote originality. I fail to see how an example of an essay on a different topic would affect the originality of our set essay. There are certain standards they expect, certain ways of writing and structuring which we do not have have innate knowledge of, yet they won't give us an example of this because of their counter-intuitive philosophy.

I hope you see what I'm saying here. The department has many 'beliefs' and when this seeps into your course you will often find yourself asking 'why?'.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
I did psych as a minor and completely back up what the above user says about WBA. They're poorly written and absurd at times.
Reply 7
Oh I'm really worried now, maybe I'll have to change my course! =(
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
You'll be fine I'm sure. For psych 101 the WBA are worth less than 10% :smile:. It's not that bad haha!
Reply 9
Don't worry, i took psych as a major last year and although sometimes the department does appear incompetent it's not too hard to get by on your own and still receive a decent grade. The main issue is communication, the rest of the course is interesting and engaging although essay and lab report writing really needs to be improved, it's something that if you are a pro-active student you shouldn't have issues finding another psychology student or an older one or even your tutor (although i still haven't been contacted by mine >.< ) but yeah, if psychology is what you are interested in and you are set on going to lancaster, don't let the departments reputation stop you! You'll do fine!
Reply 10
Hello!

I want to study Psychology at Uni and I went round Lancaster University yesterday at the open day and really liked it. It's one of my top choices at the moment. However after reading this I'm a bit concerned! Does anyone have any positive points about this course at Lancaster!! The university looks so nice but obviously if the course isn't up to standard then I'll have to reconsider!
Reply 11
Turns out they've changed the WBA's now so that we get instant feedback if we get the question wrong and a second chance to answer it correctly then and there!

Original post by ryse
They bombard you with cousework, in the first two terms: for 102 there are 15 web based assessments (WBA), and for 101 there are 10. Each WBA has 15-30 multiple choice questions, and thought you do them outside of class, they are not simply questions you can google, they are set in such a way that they require you to read long articles and reports. It's worth 20% of the first term and 20% of the second term. Whilst you have that to do, they also give you two reports and two essays to do, one in each term. Then there are also 4 class tests each term. With all these converging deadlines, you feel suffocated. They told us they believe there is psychological evidence to back up their constant testing mentality. Coming out of the first year, neither myself or my peers understood this, all it did was create too much stress.

They don't upload sufficient material onto their website that makes it clear what the essay or report requires. The WBA questions very frequently have mistakes in them, they can seem so awkwardly written that they come off as brainteasers, or they are just questions for the sake us asking questions. Here is an example of an odd question:

Spoiler

The correct answer was "wanting to make the other better". That doesn't make any sense, "A prosocial motive involves wanting to make the other better". How were we expected to select that as the correct answer if the answer make sense?
Prosocial behaviour are those directed towards another person that promote or sustain positive benefit to that person. So I don't see why our motive for that couldn't be 1. being rewarded for good behaviour 2. seeking to avoid own distress 3. thinking the other's distress is your own. So the answer could have been anything but the last answer, as it didn't make sense. This is just not one erroneous question out of many sound ones. There were many questions with problems. Sometimes it will be corrected by and the marks adjusted by the department, other times it won't. Even though overall the WBAs aren't worth much, we try to use it as reference to see how we're doing and when the questions let you down it's demoralizing.

When I flagged this up with the department on the board, the response I got was "this WBA is part of the 101 course. You have to take Hoffman's definition of a prosocial motive, and then I think the question does make sense, although I agree the language used could be more elegant! Best, Dina", The question did not tell us to go by Hoffman's definition, and Hoffman does not define it that way regardless, that sort of definition would not even make sense.

The department also seems to have a problem with making available the answers to the WBAs. Again, they have another philosophical justification just like their philosophy with obsessive compulsive testing. The response I got when I wanted to review WBA with correct answers was: "In general, we do NOT provide the correct answers as these are seen as a motiviation to revisit the questions you got wrong and to revise the areas. If after such a procedure you still cant determine the correct answer then you need to ask the tutor in the appropriate lab to explain." This sort of thinking is hugely flawed, as there are a number of reasons the answers need to be available, one big one being transparency. It is quite realistic that we can revisit a topic and still make the same errors. It takes far too long long to find a needle in a haystack looking for the where the right answer is.

When we were asked to produce an essay, we were given one example of one that was written very poorly and received a poor grade. When I requested an example of a well written essay, I was told that they won't provide this as it does not promote originality. I fail to see how an example of an essay on a different topic would affect the originality of our set essay. There are certain standards they expect, certain ways of writing and structuring which we do not have have innate knowledge of, yet they won't give us an example of this because of their counter-intuitive philosophy.

I hope you see what I'm saying here. The department has many 'beliefs' and when this seeps into your course you will often find yourself asking 'why?'.
Reply 12
Original post by WWEGirl
Turns out they've changed the WBA's now so that we get instant feedback if we get the question wrong and a second chance to answer it correctly then and there!

No turns out they didn't. I'm in 2nd year and there's still no correct answers for the WBAs.
Further to this, speaking to third year students, I hear they did statistics surgeries last year for 2nd year students. They do not have this anymore. They also used to have a function where you can discuss your grade on a piece of coursework with the marker. They've taken that away. And believe me, that would have been incredibly useful and there are a LOT of people who feel their coursework was marked unfairly when they were just doing what they were instructed, this is particularly the case on the reports we have to write.
It does tell you straight away if the answer you've given is wrong and you get to have three more chances to get some points for that question. For first years we do still have a 'statistics surgery' every friday and I'm sure you could always go and talk to the marker during their office hours if you really wanted to and were proactive about it =).
Reply 14
If anyone is really interested in what all the 2nd year psychology students are complaining about, and what you as a potential psychology student at Lancaster will have to deal with, I suggest you check out the Facebook page for "Lancaster Psychology Second Years". There is complaint after complaint about how bad the course is. No other Facebook page for a course is like this and the people who've I've spoken to on other courses have all be satisfied with how their courses are being run. If you come here to do Psychology, you will regret it. Don't just take it from me, take it from all the students.
Reply 15
Original post by WWEGirl
Oh I'm really worried now, maybe I'll have to change my course! =(

Just saying when I was there in December, two girls did psychology, and one is transferring to a diff uni to do it, and the other dropped out...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending