The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6520
Original post by cleveradam
List can go on for 100s of pages if we were to think of it that way.
I don't mind conceding 1-2 goals here and there BUT the biggest problem is not being able to penetrate defenses and create valid and clear cut chances which we were able to last season with ease.
Juan Mata looks like a lost soul everytime he gets subbed on - feel sorry for him.
Team has no organization, leadership, balance in formation/play. There is no real plan in the build up or gameplay, every player is hoping for the other to create and no one is.
Problem is Jose Mourinho thinking Etoo can play Drogba role. We don't have a Drogba type player in our team - Lukaku is out for another year. Need January to come and just buy Benteke or someone like him. If Benteke can play this well with Aston Villa, I'm sure he can play the same if not better at a top club.
Willian = 30 Million
Benteke - would have been 20-25 million and we'd have had 5 million in the bank.
Talk about priorities.

So buy benteke when we have the exact same type of striker on loan so will therefore lead to animosity in the future, are you on crack? I've not read the last few pages, but it's going to be full of absolutely laughable moronic comments I'm sure.
Reply 6521
Original post by fallen_acorns
dodgy start for moriniho..

He does slightly seem filled with negativity these days, even when things arent going badly - he doesnt look positive.. and seems to have grown a habbit at madrid of blaming players to much..

Cant help but think he is causing to much of a bad atmostphere amoungst players, and its causing them to not play or function like a cohesive team..
Tell me, are you close to the players, do you watch their training sessions. Please tell me what hazard and terry think of the manager, and who's the most likely out of the player personnel to bang eva holland while we're at it
though if he does loose his place.. (lets be honest, 2-3 more lossess and it could happen) then he will go down for one mistake above all others:

Why the hell is mata not the first name on the team-sheet, for every single game he is fit?
This is the most ridiculous part of the thing, mata was unfit in preseason after playing 70 games last season, why should we then go and play him again at the start of the season and risk long term problems(especially when he didn't even have pre-season for us), even messi got overused last season and you could see what it did to the team.
He was chelseas best player last year, and arguably one of the top3 in the whole league... the single most decisive man in chelseas team.. who is being benched???

Its like moyes coming in and benching RVP each game..
No it's not, as RVP was fit every single game, this is a homegame to basel, where he rested players in order for us to cope with the demands of playing football 2 times a week, how about when rafa benched mata and that when we lost to QPR, when we didn't have good enough players to come in. He did it because he thought we could win the game against them and also give them a rest as we had a very heavy fixture schedule.

Bits in bold. Personally I think that people have a vendetta against us and want to watch us fail under mourinho. In fact I'm sure of it. Full of haters. It's increasingly pitiful that some people in this thread wait for us to lose then go in meltdown. Look at guardiola's start at barca, yet he won a treble the same season. Matter of fact is that we are still in every competition, on the same points total as all the teams we're most likely going to title challenge with. Looking at it in this sense, we're not doing as badly as people would like us to think.

2 defeats in a row is bad for a team like us yes, but it does happen.
Give Mourinho time..I still think Chelsea will come good this season, and as an Arsenal fan out of all the 5 teams I'm most afraid of it's Chelsea. Utd, City, Liverpool and Tottenham are all 'meh' to me due to knowing almost exactly what they will bring this season. Liverpool might be a surprise though.
Original post by jam277
Bits in bold. Personally I think that people have a vendetta against us and want to watch us fail under mourinho. In fact I'm sure of it. Full of haters. It's increasingly pitiful that some people in this thread wait for us to lose then go in meltdown. Look at guardiola's start at barca, yet he won a treble the same season. Matter of fact is that we are still in every competition, on the same points total as all the teams we're most likely going to title challenge with. Looking at it in this sense, we're not doing as badly as people would like us to think.

2 defeats in a row is bad for a team like us yes, but it does happen.

the bit with mata, I did fairly clearly say 'should be started if fit'

Dont get me wrong, I dont hate chelsea, and im certianly not assosiated with the group of people who came here last night to make fun of chelsea fans..

That was just my casual thoughts after the game, nothing to serrious so dont take it as such :smile:

- with the atmostphere, was just casual observation from watching the morhino's interviews over the past few years, his whole persona and presence seems to have changed for me since being at madrid.. it almost feels to me like a little bit of him broke there, and he slightly lost his confidence and way..
(once again though, replying with 'oh so do you know morhino? and what he is thinking??? - is just stupid, as these are just, as said, casual observations.. not presented as fact, or as anything but my random football thoughts)

There is a strong vendetta against chelsea though.. arguably its understandable why people would dislike the club, but I take issue with people who take it out on the chelsea fans - taunting them after losses, and miss-dirrecting thier anger from the owner of the club, to its fan base.
Reply 6524
Original post by Dogwithwings
Yeah more delusion. Don't think you'll be able to refute anything I've said. :laugh:

So you think that a striker is more influential in a park the bus system, especially considering the striker was rather average in his first 2 seasons for us, and you'll give no credit to the defence, makalele, the midfield or the wingers in duff and robben. Bet drogba was the reason we conceded 15 goals in the 04/05 season init?

For a forum that supposedly has the average iq higher than the average population, you guys basically sound like the people I meet in the pub, only do it in a slightly more eloquent manner. Some people really really really need to learn something about football before talking about it.

I watched the leverkusen game vs united e.g. and when bayer equalized a guy said that destroys peoples accumulators, I said that united will win the game and he said 'don't underestimate german teams,' I basically said that I watch them and that they had pretty much 1 source for goals and he's facing a physical defence and that I've actually watch them play before unlike he has. United scored, I gave him a look and he walked off knowing I was right.
Reply 6525
the bit with mata, I did fairly clearly say 'should be started if fit'

Dont get me wrong, I dont hate chelsea, and im certianly not assosiated with the group of people who came here last night to make fun of chelsea fans..

That was just my casual thoughts after the game, nothing to serrious so dont take it as such :smile:

- with the atmostphere, was just casual observation from watching the morhino's interviews over the past few years, his whole persona and presence seems to have changed for me since being at madrid.. it almost feels to me like a little bit of him broke there, and he slightly lost his confidence and way..
(once again though, replying with 'oh so do you know morhino? and what he is thinking??? - is just stupid, as these are just, as said, casual observations.. not presented as fact, or as anything but my random football thoughts)

There is a strong vendetta against chelsea though.. arguably its understandable why people would dislike the club, but I take issue with people who take it out on the chelsea fans - taunting them after losses, and miss-dirrecting thier anger from the owner of the club, to its fan base.

Yes, but you were comparing it to RVP being benched when it's clearly a different case as I said.

Sorry about the arrogant retort there. Just channeling my annoyance about the situation. :colondollar:

I do agree that mourinho feels a bit different after the madrid spell, but it happens with every manager. Personally think that mourinho was very unlucky at madrid, he didn't do too badly in terms of what a madrid manager is expected to do, but because mourinho has the reputation of a trophy machine and he has the same expectations of himself it may have affected him.

I know there is a vendetta against chelsea, hence why I made the comment. But even if you don't like a team(not you but in general), is there a need to make false uninformed statements in an attempt to piss people off?
I think you just sign Robin Van Persie to score some goals #my2cents
Original post by jam277
Yes, but you were comparing it to RVP being benched when it's clearly a different case as I said.

Sorry about the arrogant retort there. Just channeling my annoyance about the situation. :colondollar:

I do agree that mourinho feels a bit different after the madrid spell, but it happens with every manager. Personally think that mourinho was very unlucky at madrid, he didn't do too badly in terms of what a madrid manager is expected to do, but because mourinho has the reputation of a trophy machine and he has the same expectations of himself it may have affected him.

I know there is a vendetta against chelsea, hence why I made the comment. But even if you don't like a team(not you but in general), is there a need to make false uninformed statements in an attempt to piss people off?

the point I was trying to get at, was that if both fit, they should be the first name on a team-sheet.. it seems for many, that even though mata may have some fitness issues this year, he is not getting the priority he should be.. (as RVP does)

Whether that is stupid, as mata is not match fit, - is second to the point, though many chelsea fans ive spoken to now im back at uni, seem to be very suspicious that him being un-fit is not the reason he is missing games..

+ I did feel sory for morinho at madrid.. he looked so sad, especially towards the end.. and that final year now seems to have over-rulled the great record-setting year, he had before.. and his more then admirable record against barca..

I do think he will do well at chelsea, and I would hate to see him go.. but I do think he needs to adapt and get settled pretty quickly.. (hard for any manager to do with a set-up like chelsea though)

Just have a bad feeling negative press will spiral, his attitude wont be as resliant as it once was, the players will suffer -and things could go a bit wrong, a bit quickly.. - but hopefully not.. (especially with the chelsea players I have in my FF tea :biggrin: )

- as for your final point.. it depends on the intention.. ofcourse if its just to piss people off, then yeah, its stupid.. - if its just expressing an opinion, especially from the casual/less serrious fans on here, after a game.. then no, I dont think there is anythinr wrong with that :smile:
Reply 6528
Original post by G0d Cable
I'd like to apologize for my kneejerk reaction yesterday. It doesn't help that I was slightly drunk as well.

Everyone has every right to be disappointed with Chelsea's relatively poor start so far. But we all have to be patient. Jose's record speaks for itself and you can't keep sacking managers every season. Chelsea need some stability and have to hope that they will be rewarded if they stick it out with Jose.

Jose's main problem atm is that he doesn't know his best team yet. If he keeps tinkering around with the team, the team won't gel and function as a unit. If the team don't gel, then more bad results will follow. Furthermore, even though Chelsea have created and missed some great chances in most of their games so far this season, I have never felt confident that Chelsea were gonna score more than 1 goal in half of their games. This is mainly due to a consistent lack in creating clear cut chances. Jose cannot rely on his defence as he was able to in his first stint at Chelsea. He has to adjust his tactics to improve Chelsea's chance creation, which should enable them to outscore their opponents. The central midfield is also critical. He has to find his best CM pairing soon, so that they can develop some chemistry between each other and dominate the midfield.

I would be lying if I said I have been impressed with Eto'o so far. But I see no reason why he can't score a fair amount of goals for Chelsea if Jose can sort out Chelsea's chance creation tactics (e.g. addressing their lack of width). Eto'o certainly looks a better bet up front than Torres or Ba.

On a more positive note, I thought Willian had a good debut. Hazard was poor and looks like he needs a rest. I would like it if Hazard is on the bench on Saturday.

P.S. I was planning on taking a break from TSR but it's hard to stay away from the Football Forum. So I made this account specifically for the Football forum.

Lol, yeah it's hard to stay away from the forum. I tried taking a break from TSR a few months ago.

The problem with the lack of width is that I think our fullbacks need to push higher up and we may need a more natural winger(inverted but can play both sides). Not an inside forward playmaker like hazard is. I said that robben would have been a great option for us and still think so. Shame we didn't go for him tbh but oh well.

If we were trying to address lack of width, I think we'll have to go with bertrand and azpi as the fullbacks, they work well attacking wise and both deliver great crosses into the area. Tbh I see positive signs though, the chance creatiion has been poor, but I think we have to look at it in context of the teams we face as well, it's going to be hard when you face villa, who narrow down with 3 in midfield and hit on the counter. When we find his first 11. I think it'll be similar to last seasons one tbh. Oscar has had a good start to the season, so while I was advocating him being dropped for de bruyne, I think oscar should start if he plays in the AM position.
the point I was trying to get at, was that if both fit, they should be the first name on a team-sheet.. it seems for many, that even though mata may have some fitness issues this year, he is not getting the priority he should be.. (as RVP does)

Whether that is stupid, as mata is not match fit, - is second to the point, though many chelsea fans ive spoken to now im back at uni, seem to be very suspicious that him being un-fit is not the reason he is missing games..

+ I did feel sory for morinho at madrid.. he looked so sad, especially towards the end.. and that final year now seems to have over-rulled the great record-setting year, he had before.. and his more then admirable record against barca..

I do think he will do well at chelsea, and I would hate to see him go.. but I do think he needs to adapt and get settled pretty quickly.. (hard for any manager to do with a set-up like chelsea though)

Just have a bad feeling negative press will spiral, his attitude wont be as resliant as it once was, the players will suffer -and things could go a bit wrong, a bit quickly.. - but hopefully not.. (especially with the chelsea players I have in my FF tea :biggrin: )

- as for your final point.. it depends on the intention.. ofcourse if its just to piss people off, then yeah, its stupid.. - if its just expressing an opinion, especially from the casual/less serrious fans on here, after a game.. then no, I dont think there is anythinr wrong with that :smile:

Fair enough, I get you here, tbh the same thing was said about david luiz, personally I think it's just rumours, and the player not starting or playing as often just exacerbated the rumours and now everyone is playing chinese whispers. The problem(although I see it as a plus) is that we have people capable of filling in for mata, when we didn't have that last year. But I think we needed a mata replacement who fills in well. Bayern did that the previous season and tbh that squad depth won them the treble. That's what we needed, it was rather obvious last season under benitez we had to use weaker teams than we should have used because it was important for the season as a whole, we sacrificed 2nd place so we could go on a good cup run and tbh I would have taken a cup and 3rd over 2nd and trophyless.

I would have loved real to have won the CL the year we won it tbh, they were absolutely fantastic, and tbh real 2011-12 and bayern under heynckes were one of the best teams to watch play.

I don't think the bad press will happen yet. I really hope he does well. I would like to see him stay here long term. Would be the perfect manager to do so, he's the best manager we've ever had and in the world atm and it's only fitting for him to be our first long term manager. He's walked into some of the toughest jobs in the world and has come out well from it. He's left every team being stronger than it was before he came.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6529
We're playing as a group of individuals, not as a team. We're lacking that edge in the final third; we're misplacing passes, the final balls just aren't happening and there seems to be a general reluctance to take a shot, everyone seems to prefer to attempt to lay it off for someone else to take a shot which usually results in the ball being cleared in the process or the attack breaking down. We need to start playing as a team, I think the main reason we're not is that we're trying to shoehorn in too many new players at once who aren't used to playing with each other. Mourinho needs to establish his best 11 (which is difficult given the players we have), and I think we should be bleeding newer members into the team more slowly than we have been so far (although that isn't to say we've been doing it fast, I just think we need more time). I'd like to see something like this lineup against Fulham on Saturday:

--------------------Cech------------------
Ivanovic----Cahill----Terry----Cole
---------Lampard----Ramires----------
KDB------------Mata------------Schurrle
-------------------Torres-----------------

Would ideally prefer Hazard to start over Schurrle (and wouldn't mind Oscar over Mata) but his most recent 2 performances don't warrant a start tbf, so I think he should be on the bench alongside Eto'o, Oscar, Mikel and Luiz. Would quite like to see Bertrand or Azpilicueta start too as they're both good going forward but I doubt we'll see that just yet. I think Torres should start over Eto'o as he has more experience playing with the team, although I would like to see Eto'o become first choice eventually, I think once he sharpens up and gets used to the team/league he'll be our best striker (who isn't out on loan anyway :rolleyes:), would be good for him to perhaps play 30 minutes though, but not alongside Torres, I don't really see the benefit of bringing on another striker when we need a goal, in both games where we've done this I think KDB would have been a much more effective sub; Torres was completely anonymous against Everton and I don't see the point in playing a striker out of position when we have so many AM options. Lampard and Ramires is our most tested midfield partnership this season so I'd be inclined to stick with them for the time being, we can start to experiment more when we actually start playing well as a team.

I don't know why we bought Willian. I thought he was decent yesterday, but I think we should have just kept Moses, or even loaned him out anyway leaving us with five AMs; allowing everyone to get more game time and more time playing together, we could always have recalled him should injuries strike anyway. Don't think we should have loaned out Lukaku either but tbh you can't really argue with the logic behind it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6530
I'd quite like to see Schurrle and Oscar play simply because Oscar is in goal scoring form and Schurrle has been very close a number of times - at least he's prepared to take shots on. Mata or De Bruyne as well, both need a chance at 90 minutes to prove they can be decisive. Lampard & Ramires is the only partnership that has really accomplished anything in midfield so I wouldn't mind that, or another chance for Van Ginkel or Luiz in there.

Maybe stick with Eto'o for a bit to see if he can find some form, we kind of need him to if we have any aspirations for the season beyond simply getting top 4.
Original post by mhsc
I'd quite like to see Schurrle and Oscar play simply because Oscar is in goal scoring form and Schurrle has been very close a number of times - at least he's prepared to take shots on. Mata or De Bruyne as well, both need a chance at 90 minutes to prove they can be decisive. Lampard & Ramires is the only partnership that has really accomplished anything in midfield so I wouldn't mind that, or another chance for Van Ginkel or Luiz in there.

Maybe stick with Eto'o for a bit to see if he can find some form, we kind of need him to if we have any aspirations for the season beyond simply getting top 4.

Luiz will never be played in Midfield by Jose. And yes, without Etoo top 4 is out of the equation because how how well other teams are doing.
Reply 6532
Luiz will never be played in Midfield by Jose. And yes, without Etoo top 4 is out of the equation because how how well other teams are doing.
Don't be ridiculous. We've taken the same number of points in the league as City and United, and we dropped our points at Everton and United, unlike for instance City who dropped their points at Cardiff and Stoke. We did play **** against Basel and Everton, but we've played 4 league games ffs, it's still early days. I think November has just come early for us.

No one is doing particularly well IMO. Liverpool and Tottenham are getting results but haven't been particularly convincing, United and City are in a similar situation to us. Arsenal have been doing well, and probably have looked the most dangerous, but now they're playing 2 games a week I think their thin squad and injuries will start to take their toll.
Joao Moutinho has only had one appearance with Monaco so far. He'd get loads of game time for us if we had signed him :cry:

(probably not loads but he'd have been useful!)

Oh and, Romeu hasn't had a single appearance at Valencia. Dukic play him you ****! :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6534
Original post by Nickini
Don't be ridiculous. We've taken the same number of points in the league as City and United, and we dropped our points at Everton and United, unlike for instance City who dropped their points at Cardiff and Stoke. We did play **** against Basel and Everton, but we've played 4 league games ffs, it's still early days. I think November has just come early for us.

No one is doing particularly well IMO. Liverpool and Tottenham are getting results but haven't been particularly convincing, United and City are in a similar situation to us. Arsenal have been doing well, and probably have looked the most dangerous, but now they're playing 2 games a week I think their thin squad and injuries will start to take their toll.

Thank you, I wish people looked at things objectively here.
The basel defeat was disappointing, I'm watching the full match now and by the 55th min it looks like there's a lack of team cohesion, but we're not in a bad position. I see a few positives from the game. Oscar in particular has been doing well, eto'o may not have had the best start but I do feel that he's getting used to the movements of the team, he seems like he works hard for the team, so at least if he doesn't do well he can run around and pressure the defenders at least.

Our main problem is that we don't move the ball quick enough in the final third and the lack of width to stretch the defenders who will undoubtedly just narrow down against us, personally feel we need to work harder in that respect, and while our DM situation is a weird one, I feel like once he finds his best 11, he can then start to make tactical alterations and our DM's will start to dominate games better. But I think it's way too early on in the season to make judgements on our team.

Like your team of individuals comment btw, hazard in particular was like this. Been disappointed with cole as well, the annoying thing about cole against salah is that cole wasn't even doing that great going forward, in the match last year vs basel we got cole to stay back at all times to prevent salah on the counter attack.

Oh and sorry for longing out the post, but cole so far this season hasn't been great, what I hate about cole is when he gets the ball and pressured by a defender he spends too much time on the ball trying to play it out, he's unable to dribble past the defender and eventually it ends up in cech being pressured to boot the ball up the field, which will end up going to the opposition anyway so we've wasted 15 or so seconds when really he should look to play it to the keeper quickly as possible so he has time to pick out a pass or put it out for a throw in. It's really frustrating, at least when luiz does it he passes the ball quickly and his distribution is good anyway usually.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6535
We shouldn't judge Mourinho so much just yet.. he's just playing around with the squad, and needs time to figure out his best 11.

The biggest problem for me is Mata, if he is fit, I really don't understand why he's hardly playing. He's been our best player for few seasons, and it's really sad to think that Jose may not favour him..
Reply 6536
Original post by silver0
We shouldn't judge Mourinho so much just yet.. he's just playing around with the squad, and needs time to figure out his best 11.

The biggest problem for me is Mata, if he is fit, I really don't understand why he's hardly playing. He's been our best player for few seasons, and it's really sad to think that Jose may not favour him..

Read my reply to fallen acorns. Mata will get the adequate gametime.
Original post by The Assassin
Joao Moutinho has only had one appearance with Monaco so far. He'd get loads of game time for us if we had signed him :cry:

(probably not loads but he'd have been useful!)

Oh and, Romeu hasn't had a single appearance at Valencia. Dukic play him you ****! :biggrin:

Obviously would be a lovely idea considering there are already countless midfielders in the team and 4-5 players competing for a spot in cdm.
Obviously would be a lovely idea considering there are already countless midfielders in the team and 4-5 players competing for a spot in cdm.

Moutinho isn't a CDM. And after we signed Van Ginkel, that was more the case. Why would it have been a bad idea? Ramires is limited, Lampard can't play many games, Essien...?
Reply 6539
Original post by The Assassin
Moutinho isn't a CDM. And after we signed Van Ginkel, that was more the case. Why would it have been a bad idea? Ramires is limited, Lampard can't play many games, Essien...?

Yeah since we have rather average DM options, I would like to see us get a top player into the team.
Personally feel that romeu will probably end up going to a midtable club for gametime and beasting it later on in his career tbh.

Was a shame, benitez liked him and he started to pick up form like he was in his AVB days, I feel that di matteo didn't use him well enough though, which ultimately has stunted his development.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest