The Student Room Group

3 decisions, appeal grade, redo year or leave with a 3rd no honours...

Hi
so basically i just finished my 3 years at Bournemouth University studying a bsc hons in ecology and wildlife conservation.

It was a tough 3 years but especially the last year as:
- My housemates bullied me repeatedly throughout the year
- I was diagnosed with Tourettes syndrome
- My Dissertation supervisor was not helpful
- A close friend of mine died young and suddenly.
- I had costochondritis (infection of the ribcage) throughout most of the assignment/exams period.

I struggled with my dissertation due to this but completed it (hurredly and due to not eating or sleeping properly the week before) and i ended up with a 38% (40% is a pass)

My other units all came out between 50% and 65%

I asked my supervisors and various others what was wrong and made all the adjustments i was told to do.

Resubmitted it (capped at 40%) happy with the work this time around.

Handed in mitigating circumstances form due to my friends funeral.

Moved up to cambridge to have a gap year earning before doing my masters (with an expected low 2:2)

was so busy forgot to hand in mitigating circumstances evidence until after the grades came out. my result was chairs decision: waiting on results. i had no idea there was a cut off date a week after my friends funeral to hand in evidence for it.

I have now been told i got 38% again. despite putting so much more work and all their adjustments into it.

I'm worried they either didn't mark the resubmission or didn't accept my mitigating circumstances.

I am going to appeal but does anyone have any advice for me on what to say/do.

I need a 2:2 for my masters but does anyone know any with environmental science/ecology degrees that take 3rds?

i now have two options:
1. accept it was rubbish and graduate with a 3rd no honours.
2. pay god knows how much, redo the coursework all over again and re-enrol in a week, oh with it still capped at 40%. With a chance of getting a 2:2.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Reply 1
Hi :smile:
I have no personal experience of any of your life events, but it sounds like you've had it as bad as it gets.
It sounds like getting the 2:2 is really important to you, and if it's going to make a major impact on your future then I think retaking could be the right thing to do. All the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte76
I'm worried they either didn't mark the resubmission or didn't accept my mitigating circumstances.

I would double-check those points with the uni before going any further.

They may not have accepted your mitigating circumstances due to you missing the deadline. Whether you can claim mitigating circumstances for this, is up to the uni. It's at least worth checking and asking.

You can also specifically ask whether the resubmission was marked rather than them taking the original mark. If they didn't accept the resubmission, you can then clarify whether there was a reason, or whether this was an error on their part. Even if you don't get the answer you hope for and the 38% for the resubmission was just a coincidence, then at least you'll know for sure and you won't have that suspicion lurking at the back of your mind.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies.

I wasn't made aware of the mc deadline so I was confused when I saw the result that I was still waiting.

Yes it's not been easy for sure. I have made the uni aware of everything but I'm not sure they even considered it.

I'm going to ask and appeal for certain but have to wait to talk to the right staff tomorrow as they are not in today.
Just sick of uni now.

I'm considering retaking just to get it out of the way and better my chances of a career/masters etc. but it's going to cost me an arm and a leg and be a pain in the **** as I don't live down there any more, and have 2 jobs just to be able to afford the rent so would have to fit it in. But if I retake I can't graduate with my peers so it would be a bit odd.

I don't know, but what I do know is I worked too damn hard the last 3 years to fail and get a 3rd.

It's a big decision to make in a week.
was so busy forgot to hand in mitigating circumstances evidence until after the grades came out. my result was chairs decision: waiting on results. i had no idea there was a cut off date a week after my friends funeral to hand in evidence for it.

While I sympathise with (and relate to) your issues, you have missed the deadline for evidence so that is why nothing has changed.

Realistically, you cannot appeal (unless the university are generous and accept your late evidence, which it doesn't seem they are willing to do). Leaving with a 3rd is career suicide and far more of a waste of money than re-doing the year and getting a 2.2. Just to clarify - you cannot get a 3rd with no honours. The grades are as so: 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd, Pass (i.e. no honours), Fail.
Original post by maskofsanity
While I sympathise with (and relate to) your issues, you have missed the deadline for evidence so that is why nothing has changed.

Realistically, you cannot appeal (unless the university are generous and accept your late evidence, which it doesn't seem they are willing to do). Leaving with a 3rd is career suicide and far more of a waste of money than re-doing the year and getting a 2.2. Just to clarify - you cannot get a 3rd with no honours. The grades are as so: 1st, 2.1, 2.2, 3rd, Pass (i.e. no honours), Fail.

Can you actually resit the final year?
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Can you actually resit the final year?

Sorry, I didn't mean re-sitting the entire year, I meant re-enrolling for final year in order to repeat the dissertation she failed so she can get a 2.2 overall.

Edit: The OP may also want to check that re-sitting final year modules does not mean that her degree classification is capped at Pass/Ordinary (no honours) because that is the rule at some universities, in which case re-doing the year would be completely pointless in her situation as either way she will only get a Pass degree.
(edited 10 years ago)
Sorry, I didn't mean re-sitting the entire year, I meant re-enrolling for final year in order to repeat the dissertation she failed to get a 2.2 overall.

Edit: The OP may also want to check that re-sitting final year modules does not mean that her degree classification is capped at Pass/Ordinary (no honours) because that is the rule at some universities.

I was just wondering what she can do. I don't know what the rules are - my job doesn't stretch beyond getting students into university. I didn't realise there were any ways of salvaging your final grade and I'm interested in what the options are. Reading a lot of postgrad threads seems to suggest finals mean final.
I was just wondering what she can do. I don't know what the rules are - my job doesn't stretch beyond getting students into university. I didn't realise there were any ways of salvaging your final grade and I'm interested in what the options are. Reading a lot of postgrad threads seems to suggest finals mean final.

You can re-sit failed final year modules but (at my university) you will only come out with an Ordinary degree. The OP seems to believe that her re-sit will just be capped at 40% and still allow for an honours degree so maybe that is the case at her university.
You can re-sit failed final year modules but (at my university) you will only come out with an Ordinary degree. The OP seems to believe that her re-sit will just be capped at 40% and still allow for an honours degree so maybe that is the case at her university.

Thank you. That's interesting. Does one failed module capped at 40% tip the balance? I mean, if you passed all the others but failed one, that one carries more weight than all others combined? That's harsh. It's 33 years since I graduated and we were still chipping our exam papers out on stone tablets then, so all this is pretty alien to me.
Thank you. That's interesting. Does one failed module capped at 40% tip the balance? I mean, if you passed all the others but failed one, that one carries more weight than all others combined? That's harsh. It's 33 years since I graduated and we were still chipping our exam papers out on stone tablets then, so all this is pretty alien to me.

If you pass all your modules except one then, depending on the university, you will either get an Ordinary degree (as you need all 360 credits for an honours degree) or you may still be allowed an honours degree if you have passed enough credits for the university to ignore the failed credits, e.g. 330/360.
If you pass all your modules except one then, depending on the university, you will either get an Ordinary degree (as you need all 360 credits for an honours degree) or you may still be allowed an honours degree if you have passed enough credits for the university to ignore the failed credits, e.g. 330/360.
Thank you again. It must be a nail-biting experience these days. I don't think the word 'credit' was heard in academic corridors when I was a student. I only heard the word 'transcript' for the first time when my son was applying for a job. Neither I nor my husband, who has 3 degrees, all extremely ancient, knew what one was.
Reply 12
Hi all,

I see your point with the deadline for mitigating circumstances. The fact is I signed that form in tears at the time. My friend had just passed away and I didn't think to read the form correctly. I was not made aware of a soon approaching deadline at the time. The funeral (which the booklet was my evidence) took place exactly a week before the deadline. His family were even considering delaying it by two weeks as they still did not have a cause of death, but just wanted peace on the matter so decided then. If that had happened i definitely wouldn't have had the evidence in on time.

It's more the fact that despite me seeking advice from the markers and other academics about what to improve and doing all of that and then some, my grade did not rise from the 38, if I literally got the wrong end of the stick then I have been misguided. I even sought advice from my friend and we did very similar structures to our dissertations. Yet she got a 1st.

What really annoys me is that I have put 120% of my effort into work this year, did well in all my other grades but tripped up at this one and receive absolutely no sympathy it seems from the university. Not even to increase it by two tiny marks just to mean a pass would have meant the world to me. And the two main individuals that bullied me are walking away happily with a 2:1 and a 2:2 at this graduation and I am stuck with most likely paying to retake and repeating something i believe i did fairly well in to get a mediocre grade or drop out with a horrendous one.

I honestly feel like i might as well had gone to Ibiza on holiday and destroyed my liver with alcohol instead of doing the retake as I am at exactly the same stage now as if i had. Like nothing I did to rectify the situation mattered to them.

But yes if i retake i must start from scratch on a whole new project for my dissertation, in the knowledge that it will only amount to a maximum of 40% and pay for the privilege of just scraping a 2:2 overall after another year of working with a university that i don't believe supports me as a student.
Reply 13
Hi all,
But yes if i retake i must start from scratch on a whole new project for my dissertation, in the knowledge that it will only amount to a maximum of 40% and pay for the privilege of just scraping a 2:2 overall after another year of working with a university that i don't believe supports me as a student.

After reading this I want to asking you've been to see an academic advocate at your uni's student union. If not, I think it's time to go and seek their advice. They will be able to advise you in ways that are specific to your uni, and can (usually) come with you to any hearings that might take place.

Good luck in a sucky situation.
Reply 14
What a horrid set of circumstances OP!

Probably echoing others a bit...

You need to move quickly on this...(sorry!!)...

Seems what you need is mitigating circumstances for the mitigating circumstances as a matter of urgency .. . Variations of this happen all the time- people have major life events that make it difficult to concentrate/remember and the miss deadlines.

I would seriously note down all the bits of evidence of what happened -and start collating it (although this needs to be a secondary task), did you discuss stuff with your GP/counsellor/any kind of professional (not necessarily seeing you in a professional capacity- it could be a family friend) could draft out a two paragraph letter of support. Think creatively! The more the better.

Two options - I would do both- strike me:

Contact the univeristity's disability office - ask for urgent appt- as in today. (you would come under their remit with your tourettes) . You should be able to do this by phone
They should be able to advocate on your behalf at all levels of the uni. They often have very helpful results - esp of you have been treated less well as a result of your disability - strikes me that tourettes+bullying is a difficult combination to manage and must effect your concentration levels add in your pal's sudden death - you should have all the compassion going - thrown your way!

Contact the student union advisors and also the faculty advisors.

There are probably complaint /appeal processes that need to be started - probably now!

Mostly (obviously don't know your uni) - you can't appeal an academic decision - BUT you can appeal a decision when all the requisite information (your ec) wasn't taken into account at the time. I would have thought the best option would be ask to retake your project 'as a first attempt', cos of your MC your previous efforts would be wiped from the record.

You could also consider a complaint against academic staff/supervisors for the misleading/lack of guidance they gave you! I would discuss the options and advantages/disadvantages of this with the advisors you speak to!

University's can allow you to resit WITHOUT fees - especially when it's for a largely research based module.

Keep your chin up - know easy to say! Please don't give up the battle...
Think it's often a case of finding the right person at the right time!

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply 15
Any decsions/update OP?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
If you have only completed three years in eduction you will have one years additions funding left. So no need to pay anything to retake the year. If you have already used four years you can apply for something called compelling personal reasons (CPR) which due to your health AND bearevement reasons you are very likely to get, which takes the funding spent on your third year and allows you to use it to retake the year again. Call the student finance company. I have am going through the same thing as I took time out due to anxiety reasons.
Original post by Rosierouge
If you have only completed three years in eduction you will have one years additions funding left. So no need to pay anything to retake the year. If you have already used four years you can apply for something called compelling personal reasons (CPR) which due to your health AND bearevement reasons you are very likely to get, which takes the funding spent on your third year and allows you to use it to retake the year again. Call the student finance company. I have am going through the same thing as I took time out due to anxiety reasons.

This thread is over 5 years old and dead. please dont bump old threads.
Reply 18
good morning, I appreciate this is an old thread, but my son has just failed his 3rd year of a 4 year Maths Masters degree. He has been diagnosed with depression and would appreciate any advise with regards appealing to enable him to resit the year.

Latest

Trending

Trending