The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

"Where IS Teddy Hall?": The Oxford Postgraduate Chat Thread

A place for Oxonian postgraduates to moan about deadlines, lack of sleep and other things which might be better described as #OxfordProblems :work:

Please (as goes for the other Oxford chat thread) no wannabes, offer holders or future applicants.

Enjoy! :biggrin:

P.S. If anyone thinks of a better (funnier) thread title, PM me and I can change it! The creativity well is a little dry today :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there, thought moving this would help the thread get some use. :smile:

Original post by kittyb99
Oh, that's cool! Hoping I can get the funding to stay on too :smile: How many years in are you? Ah yes, I think that might have been the one :smile: Are the research seminars that the faculty run good?

There are, yes, as one giant handbook exists. However, much of a couple of the currencies that I was looking at was calculated incorrectly, so I went back and fixed the data. But I think the stuff I will be doing this year will be more a case of sifting through mint records. Quite a bit of the key stuff has, at some point, ended up in an appendix of a secondary source (or so I found for some of the undergrad stuff). What about you? Are you more focused on manuscripts?

I think the classes would be the mandatory ones for the course, but yeah, especially on the Friday they appear to be covering extremely relevant stuff, so hoping to get to it! I shall have to ask :smile:

I generally find the seminars good to attend, though I don't make it to them as much as I might like. Especially easy to skip them when it feels like there's too much work to do. I tend to generally go to the Monday ones at All Souls and the Medieval Church and Culture ones on Tuesdays. There's almost ridiculous numbers of variety though, not sure if you've seen any of the old schedules, but here's last Trinity Term's: http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/research/centre/medieval-history/seminars-lectures.html

Going into my third year, and I'm using a combination of printed editions and manuscripts for the thesis. Some of them are digitised on the Early English Laws website which is always nifty for doing work at odd hours and not having to go and see them in the BL.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
Oo dilemma. As a clinical medic I'm not sure if I identify more with grads or undergrads! Might just lurk in the shadows of both :colone:
Original post by nexttime
Oo dilemma. As a clinical medic I'm not sure if I identify more with grads or undergrads! Might just lurk in the shadows of both :colone:

Come join the grad dark side :wink: Also - another history postgrad here. Hi everyone!
Reply 4
Original post by ktr
Hi there, thought moving this would help the thread get some use. :smile:

I generally find the seminars good to attend, though I don't make it to them as much as I might like. Especially easy to skip them when it feels like there's too much work to do. I tend to generally go to the Monday ones at All Souls and the Medieval Church and Culture ones on Tuesdays. There's almost ridiculous numbers of variety though, not sure if you've seen any of the old schedules, but here's last Trinity Term's: http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/research/centre/medieval-history/seminars-lectures.html

Going into my third year, and I'm using a combination of printed editions and manuscripts for the thesis. Some of them are digitised on the Early English Laws website which is always nifty for doing work at odd hours and not having to go and see them in the BL.

Thank you! I was worried no one would join and then I'd be lonely :tongue:

Ooohhh, I will have to go to the Monday ones just to take a peek at All Souls! Ah, yeah, thanks for the list :smile: i had to root through those when writing my Statement of Purpose, but you are right- there is loads of variety and I think it will be hard to not be overwhelmed by it all.

Oh, it's useful that you can get material online :smile: So do you think you will wrap up your DPhil this year, or will you have a fourth year too? So how do you find working with manuscripts, and do you find that there is generally everything you need in Oxford?

Well you are certainly welcome here :biggrin: I still plan to lurk on the other thread too, but I thought we could whinge about being old here :wink:

Original post by Incarnadine91
Come join the grad dark side :wink: Also - another history postgrad here. Hi everyone!

Hi! :hi: Nice to see more history postgrads! So what do you study? :smile:
Reply 5

stop by, i think we might need some more science-y people to balance out the historians in the new thread :smile:

Oh, it's useful that you can get material online :smile: So do you think you will wrap up your DPhil this year, or will you have a fourth year too? So how do you find working with manuscripts, and do you find that there is generally everything you need in Oxford?

If I can finish this year that'll be great, though thinking perhaps part (though not all) of the following year. Most of my manuscripts are in the BL actually, though I did get to go to Cambridge and the Bibliotheque Nationale to look at others which was pretty exciting
Reply 6
Original post by ktr
stop by, i think we might need some more science-y people to balance out the historians in the new thread :smile:

If I can finish this year that'll be great, though thinking perhaps part (though not all) of the following year. Most of my manuscripts are in the BL actually, though I did get to go to Cambridge and the Bibliotheque Nationale to look at others which was pretty exciting

Oh, that's really good then! It must have been handy to not have to do huge amounts of hopping about to get the data you need.

So are you in Oxford at the moment? I am literally killing time at home until I move in on Sunday :tongue:
Reply 7
Hellooo! As ktr said, thought I'd try and science up this postgrad thread, haha. Thanks for making it, kittyb99! As much as I wish I was an undergraduate again to some extent (and although I'm definitely going to pretend I am during freshers' week, haha) it does seem like postgrad life is going to be a little different.

When's everyone moving into their houses? I'm heading up to Oxford next Friday- can't believe how quickly it's come round!

And I'll pop my thinking cap on for a fun thread title, though this is definitely a difficult one...
Reply 8
Original post by llacerta
Hellooo! As ktr said, thought I'd try and science up this postgrad thread, haha. Thanks for making it, kittyb99! As much as I wish I was an undergraduate again to some extent (and although I'm definitely going to pretend I am during freshers' week, haha) it does seem like postgrad life is going to be a little different.

When's everyone moving into their houses? I'm heading up to Oxford next Friday- can't believe how quickly it's come round!

And I'll pop my thinking cap on for a fun thread title, though this is definitely a difficult one...

Ooh, Freshers' will be awesooommeeeee :biggrin: has your college got much planned?

Moving in this Sunday! Dreading having to cart everything (potentially) up flights of stairs. Summer has gone so fast! How have you been passing the time?

I thought, given ktr was the first proper post, we could honour Teddy Hall and have a title referencing it's Room of Requirement-esque location, like "Where IS Teddy Hall?", or something wittier?

Hi! :hi: Nice to see more history postgrads! So what do you study? :smile:

Witchcraft generally, metamorphosis (people turning into animals) specifically :wink:
Reply 10
Witchcraft generally, metamorphosis (people turning into animals) specifically :wink:

Daymmmmmm, and I thought the tourists had it wrong when they were asking if Oxford was Hogwarts!

S'pose the postgrad gowns do look quite wizardy though :tongue:
Reply 11

Well you are certainly welcome here :biggrin: I still plan to lurk on the other thread too, but I thought we could whinge about being old here :wink:

I do remember how in awe of the seemingly all-wise 6th years I was when I arrived. Somehow, now that's me!

I want to volunteer to help out with the new grad freshers, but can't until I know when I can go home to see the dentist as I'm still registered there even though I'm in oxford at least 48 weeks per year. That counts as a grad problem right?
Reply 12
Ooh, Freshers' will be awesooommeeeee :biggrin: has your college got much planned?

Moving in this Sunday! Dreading having to cart everything (potentially) up flights of stairs. Summer has gone so fast! How have you been passing the time?

I thought, given ktr was the first proper post, we could honour Teddy Hall and have a title referencing it's Room of Requirement-esque location, like "Where IS Teddy Hall?", or something wittier?

Well, the undergrads seem to have a whole bunch of stuff organised for them, but I've heard very little from our MCR at the moment beyond some sort of a welcome dinner! Fingers crossed stuff will be happening when we turn up, haha. How about you, what has your college got planned? (And which college will you be at, for that matter? Haha.)

Aah, exciting! Are you living in a house or in halls? (And by house, I mean college-owned house, which just makes things more complicated, haha). Ack, yes, stairs are no fun- I know for certain that I'll be dragging my stuff up a flight.

I've been working most of this summer, but aside from that I've been seeing friends, and I was lucky enough to go on a couple of holidays. But aside from that, not much. How about you, had a good summer?

Haha, I like that, good idea! :biggrin:
Reply 13
I do remember how in awe of the seemingly all-wise 6th years I was when I arrived. Somehow, now that's me!

I want to volunteer to help out with the new grad freshers, but can't until I know when I can go home to see the dentist as I'm still registered there even though I'm in oxford at least 48 weeks per year. That counts as a grad problem right?

Woah, a six-year course? I didn't know they did those, but then, I know little of the science courses :tongue: Is this your last year and what qualification will you get at the end of it- surely you get a DPhil if it's been that long?

I think that is certainly a grad problem! having to go to the dentist alone constitutes a problem :tongue: did Merton not make you register with an Oxford one? Woosta made me register with their college doctor and I think I might have to do the same for the dentist, but I don't wanna :tongue:

Original post by llacerta
Well, the undergrads seem to have a whole bunch of stuff organised for them, but I've heard very little from our MCR at the moment beyond some sort of a welcome dinner! Fingers crossed stuff will be happening when we turn up, haha. How about you, what has your college got planned? (And which college will you be at, for that matter? Haha.)

Aah, exciting! Are you living in a house or in halls? (And by house, I mean college-owned house, which just makes things more complicated, haha). Ack, yes, stairs are no fun- I know for certain that I'll be dragging my stuff up a flight.

I've been working most of this summer, but aside from that I've been seeing friends, and I was lucky enough to go on a couple of holidays. But aside from that, not much. How about you, had a good summer?

Haha, I like that, good idea! :biggrin:

Booooo, they need to hurry up and dish out the info! Yeah, we've the same sort of stuff planned- dinners, punting, walks round gardens and drinks with tutors etc. And a couple of bops too. Have you got your college parents/siblings yet? I'm at Woosta :biggrin: But I am jealous that you Hildabeasts have such a cool nickname for college members.

Yeah, I'm in college accommodation, just outside the gates :smile: Can't wait to see my room- should be pretty good as they are certainly charging enough for it! Are you in college housing too? Dragging my brother along to help be haul stuff up the stairs because I hurt my arm last week :frown:

Ooh, where did you go on holiday to? Lucky you could squeeze some work in too! I just mainly holiday'd, to France, Italy, Scotland and France again :smile: T'was good fun on the most part :smile: Excited for moving in?
Daymmmmmm, and I thought the tourists had it wrong when they were asking if Oxford was Hogwarts!

S'pose the postgrad gowns do look quite wizardy though :tongue:

Never heard that one before :wink: But doing the history of magic is pretty cool. There's an exhibition of books on the subject on in the bod at the moment, if you're interested.
Reply 15
Never heard that one before :wink: But doing the history of magic is pretty cool. There's an exhibition of books on the subject on in the bod at the moment, if you're interested.

Oh, you actually study the history of magic?! I thought you were joking :tongue: That's actually one of the coolest (if not the coolest) research areas I've ever heard of! Imma get my behind down to the Bod to have a look at the exhibition- it sounds awesome :biggrin: So you're a DPhil student?
Reply 16
Woah, a six-year course? I didn't know they did those, but then, I know little of the science courses :tongue: Is this your last year and what qualification will you get at the end of it- surely you get a DPhil if it's been that long?

I think that is certainly a grad problem! having to go to the dentist alone constitutes a problem :tongue: did Merton not make you register with an Oxford one? Woosta made me register with their college doctor and I think I might have to do the same for dentist

Medicine is a bit unique. Technically its undergrad and we get a bachelor's degree, but it allows you to practice medicine so it doesn't really matter. We're treated as grads by oxford though, members of grad common rooms etc, hence how I can justify posting here :tongue:

Doctor yes. Dentist/optician no. My visits to both have been very erratic over the last few years!
Reply 17
Medicine is a bit unique. Technically its undergrad and we get a bachelor's degree, but it allows you to practice medicine so it doesn't really matter. We're treated as grads by oxford though, members of grad common rooms etc, hence how I can justify posting here :tongue:

Doctor yes. Dentist/optician no. My visits to both have been very erratic over the last few years!

Ahh, I see! So at what point in the six years do you become classed as a grad and join the MCR- I would guess after three?

Blagh, the dentist is never a fun day out anyway :tongue: I couldn't remember what the rules were on medical registration, but I wasn't chuffed about having to register with the college one!
Reply 18
nice thread title... :laugh:

So are you in Oxford at the moment? I am literally killing time at home until I move in on Sunday :tongue:

Only a few more days until Sunday! I'm currently in Oxford. But pretty excited to feel like I'm actually going away somewhere for the 1st time in 5 months, even if it's just that I'm staying overnight at a friend's because I have to be in London all this weekend.

And yes, definitely go take a look at the exhibit in the Bod when you get here.
Reply 19
Original post by ktr
nice thread title... :laugh:

Only a few more days until Sunday! I'm currently in Oxford. But pretty excited to feel like I'm actually going away somewhere for the 1st time in 5 months, even if it's just that I'm staying overnight at a friend's because I have to be in London all this weekend.

And yes, definitely go take a look at the exhibit in the Bod when you get here.

Yup, totally counting down! So bored of the summer now. One of my best friends just started his MPhil at Cam a few days ago, so I feel jealous. But the silly muppets still have me on their class list even though I declined the offer months ago!

Ooh, is it an academic trip, or might you be able to squeeze in a bit of theatre too?

Woop! Can't wait to have a good look round the Bod :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending