The Student Room Group

Plato's Theory of Forms in terms of Ethics?!

Hi!

I had a task set today to create a presentation on Plato's Theory of Forms, which we are currently learning about in Philosophy.

However, the task was set in Ethics and so I'm not sure how the theory relates to Ethics?

I would go and see my teacher, but the next time I would be able to find her is on the day the presentation is due in.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but could anybody point me in the right direction as to how Plato's Theory of Forms relates to Ethics and how I could show this in a presentation?
Reply 1
Ah a little weird that your Ethics teacher asked you as it is in the Philosophy section.

"Plato's main ethical theory refers to the world consist of two things, such as form and shadow. He also believed in truth and doing the right thing."

As far as I know the 1st paragraph of this website explains his ethics:

http://www.anselm.edu/homepage/dbanach/platform.htm

Good luck!

Original post by Will95206
Ah a little weird that your Ethics teacher asked you as it is in the Philosophy section.

"Plato's main ethical theory refers to the world consist of two things, such as form and shadow. He also believed in truth and doing the right thing."

As far as I know the 1st paragraph of this website explains his ethics:

http://www.anselm.edu/homepage/dbanach/platform.htm

Good luck!

Huh? That's like saying it's weird that someone asked about biology in the science section.

This might be too rigorous and one wouldn't expect you to read all of it, just extract the information that you need: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/plato-ethics/
Reply 3

That's what I thought at the time! I suppose it's supposed to be working on 'linking our thinking'?

Thank you very much that looks great. So do you reckon that I should explain what I know from Philosophy and then introduce the Ethical side of it after? For example, explain what is meant by 'Forms' and the 'World of Appearances' and then delve into what this means for ethics?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TAwesomeTeen
That's what I thought at the time! I suppose it's supposed to be working on 'linking our thinking'?

Thank you very much that looks great. So do you reckon that I should explain what I know from Philosophy and then introduce the Ethical side of it after? For example, explain what is meant by 'Forms' and the 'World of Appearances' and then delve into what this means for ethics?

!!!!! you need some clarification (no offense), philosophy (derived from greek) means love of wisdom and encompasses all subject matters which raise fundamental questions, ethics is a branch of philosophy, not only is it a branch of philosophy but it is one of the most extensively studied, the course is titled philosophy & ethics because it focuses on the relationship between philosophy and ethics rather than any other field of extensive study (e.g metaphysics, aesthetics, epistemology)

You should explain what you know from philosophy in its relationship to ethics, so yes explain what Plato's theory of the forms is and use his analogy of the cave (which appears in his The Republic) and its relationship to ethical concepts.
Reply 5
John Stuart Mill, a very relevant name! You took the words out of my mouth!

But yes I totally agree and make sure you mention Plato's Republic and that he was a duellist.
Original post by TAwesomeTeen
Hi!

I had a task set today to create a presentation on Plato's Theory of Forms, which we are currently learning about in Philosophy.

However, the task was set in Ethics and so I'm not sure how the theory relates to Ethics?

I would go and see my teacher, but the next time I would be able to find her is on the day the presentation is due in.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, but could anybody point me in the right direction as to how Plato's Theory of Forms relates to Ethics and how I could show this in a presentation?

Basically that there exists a perfect template of every particular in the world - chair, table etc. This extended for Plato to concepts such as justice, inasmuch as there are imperfect examples of justice ascertainable through empirical experience, but there is one absolute justice, and, this is the key, which can be known rationally. Knowledge = the good.

Of course there are all sorts of problems with this. The knowledge of the good is solipsistic, and cannot be independently verified as such. If knowledge = goodness, ignorance = badness, but is all crime done out of ignorance of what is the morally good action? The knowledge of the good can only be accessible through the medium of a true philosopher, and there are many people who disagree with the concept of moral experts for obvious reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending