The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by legalreality
Good advice as always- thanks very much for the suggestions/addresses :smile:

I just updated the Ebbe's email addresses in my post (it's one confusing website!)
Goodness, it's been busy here!

Original post by greeneyedgirl
If it's any consolation, the whole "uni is best time of your life thing" is massively overhyped...esp during freshers. I hated freshers, and it was only really in second term of uni and then more so in second year when things got better

Freshers' week. Bleh. Never liked it. Apart from the free things.

Original post by navarre
It is some consolation... it usually takes me a few weeks to come out my shell properly with new people, yet I don't think many people have that patience.

I don't think I spoke to anybody for a year...

Original post by IMakeSenseToNone

Not unless you have a weird kink which involves taking a woman back and her reading Bible Verses and singing at you while you stand there awkwardly :biggrin:

That's not weird. That's genuinely arousing.

Original post by ImNew
Is that what Christians do just sing hymns and read bible verses?

Yes.

Original post by Aula
#chastity4lyf

Never, ever spell it "lyf" again. If you do I shall rain down some truly Biblical punishments upon you.

Original post by legalreality
Hahaha that's quite a good way of putting it!

The level of pettiness some of the CU had though was truly ridiculous to the point where it stopped being amusing and was just absolutely ridiculous. Example: When it came to appointing new CU reps (basically 'leaders') for the college for next year it was basically civil war. Of course the simple thing to have done would be just to have a fair vote to decide, but for some reason the previous CU reps got to make the choice. This meant that perhaps one of the most unpopular people in college ended up as one of the reps because they were chums with the previous reps. Sensible eh?

Or how about the huge drama/controversy about whether or not a girl could be allowed to give the main reading at the annual CU chapel service for the rest of college. Nowhere else would people come out with lines such as 'this is too radical' or 'we don't want to RUIN the opportunity to preach to the rest of college by letting a girl do it'.

I still don't think they understand why I ran away and never returned :rolleyes:

Ah. CUs. Here we go again.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 922
Original post by OurSeaBee
Never, ever spell it "lyf" again. If you do I shall rain down some truly Biblical punishments upon you.

I would never spell it lyf in an unironic way, so that's okay. :h:
Greetings from Boston, USA :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

:biggrin: :jumphug: I've just checked - you're safe. Technically you've travelled slightly southwards so you're not in the north :ninja:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Quornslice
:biggrin: :jumphug: I've just checked - you're safe. Technically you've travelled slightly southwards so you're not in the north :ninja:

Oho, so you have a problem with people in the north do you? :tongue:
Original post by tasha96
Oho, so you have a problem with people in the north do you? :tongue:

No, but I know TLG is still not sure whether the north is safe or not so I was just putting her mind at ease. :tongue: :ninja: I, for one, have been up north at least every other year for holidays in Scotland, which have been great holidays i'll have you know :tongue:

Ooh what are you up to? I was in Boston for about ten weeks this Summer :biggrin:
Original post by fluteflute
Ooh what are you up to? I was in Boston for about ten weeks this Summer :biggrin:

I'm visiting my sister, who lives out here :biggrin:

Original post by Quornslice

:rofl: Thanks hun :teehee:
I saw this thread on the main page and thought I'd say hello. I'm kind of a Christian. I was really religious when I was younger, not in a Bible bashing way or fearing God and Hell and all that jazz..I just had a quiet kind of belief that brought me a lot of peace. I loved all kinds of Bible literature and spiritual poetry and symbols and I saw myself being that way forever, then life happened and I kind of lost my faith a little (I hope it's okay to talk about this in here, even though you say no theological debate?). I basically came into contact with a lot of very conservative Christians, and preachers and Christian friends who started campaigns against gay marriage/gay relationships and it rubbed me up the wrong way. Because I'd heard the Bible being used against real life human beings it began to feel tainted for me, and I struggled (I still struggle if I'm honest) to see it as the faith and message that I'd grown to love.

Anyway, I still feel myself drawn to Christianity a lot. I'm just having problems finding out what it means to be a Christian as an adult, now I've seen the not so good side of it.

Now you've had my life story, hello :hello:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by e hine e

Anyway, I still feel myself drawn to Christianity a lot. I'm just having problems finding out what it means to be a Christian as an adult, now I've seen the not so good side of it.

Holla e hine e! Welcome to XSoc :hugs:

If you want, give Soren Kierkegaard a read or Peter Rollins, they were who I read which led me back to Christianity :3 Though Kierkegaard is easier if you read summaries of him, his actual works are enigmas wrapped in alleogry and one massive angsty headache.
I saw this thread on the main page and thought I'd say hello. I'm kind of a Christian. I was really religious when I was younger, not in a Bible bashing way or fearing God and Hell and all that jazz..I just had a quiet kind of belief that brought me a lot of peace. I loved all kinds of Bible literature and spiritual poetry and symbols and I saw myself being that way forever, then life happened and I kind of lost my faith a little (I hope it's okay to talk about this in here, even though you say no theological debate?). I basically came into contact with a lot of very conservative Christians, and preachers and Christian friends who started campaigns against gay marriage/gay relationships and it rubbed me up the wrong way. Because I'd heard the Bible being used against real life human beings it began to feel tainted for me, and I struggled (I still struggle if I'm honest) to see it as the faith and message that I'd grown to love.

Hello and welcome to X Soc! I am so glad you found us and were willing to post your story :hugs: I'm Shan, resident badly-behaved Catholic ( :ninja: :jebus: :angel: ) :yes:

The "no debate" clause is aimed at atheists who would like to debate with us. We have atheists brothers and sisters in this thread who post and contribute to the positive nature of the Society and we love them dearly. Then there are atheists who just want to ask questions rather than contribute to the Soc. To them, we ask that they do not post in here, but post in the 'Ask a Christian' thread. So no need for you to worry about the "no debate" clause. Occasionally between ourselves we might discuss things like gay marriage but we don't get hot-headed about it, and just agree to disagree :yep:

I'm sorry you've come across conservative Christians who have failed to understand the true message of the Bible, which is one of love. I think we must all have come across at least one in our time. Please don't let them shake your faith (easier said than done I know). The ultimate message of the Bible, as I say, is one of love - a love that is eternal and for everyone. It is all-encompassing and self-sacrificing. It is agape :love:
Hello and welcome to X Soc! I am so glad you found us and were willing to post your story :hugs: I'm Shan, resident badly-behaved Catholic ( :ninja: :jebus: :angel: ) :yes:

The "no debate" clause is aimed at atheists who would like to debate with us. We have atheists brothers and sisters in this thread who post and contribute to the positive nature of the Society and we love them dearly. Then there are atheists who just want to ask questions rather than contribute to the Soc. To them, we ask that they do not post in here, but post in the 'Ask a Christian' thread. So no need for you to worry about the "no debate" clause. Occasionally between ourselves we might discuss things like gay marriage but we don't get hot-headed about it, and just agree to disagree :yep:

I'm sorry you've come across conservative Christians who have failed to understand the true message of the Bible, which is one of love. I think we must all have come across at least one in our time. Please don't let them shake your faith (easier said than done I know). The ultimate message of the Bible, as I say, is one of love - a love that is eternal and for everyone. It is all-encompassing and self-sacrificing. It is agape :love:

:love: agape was one of my favourite words for a while when I first learnt it (and then I think I forgot about it). But that's the message I always took from the Bible/Christianity, so I hope I can get that feeling back if I work on it. And I'm always up for a debate on the issues, as long as no one's preaching hate from a pulpit :smile:

Also, we've spoken before (back when I had a different username..or we might have spoken once under this one too, I'm not sure..) :ninja:

Holla e hine e! Welcome to XSoc :hugs:

If you want, give Soren Kierkegaard a read or Peter Rollins, they were who I read which led me back to Christianity :3 Though Kierkegaard is easier if you read summaries of him, his actual works are enigmas wrapped in alleogry and one massive angsty headache.

Thank you for the welcome and recommendations :smile: I'm always looking for theological/philosophical texts to read, so I'll take a look.

Thank you for the welcome and recommendations :smile: I'm always looking for theological/philosophical texts to read, so I'll take a look.

Both of them are actually good if you take a look on iTunes :3 Rollins has some good interviews and on iTunesU there's loads of lectures about Kierkegaard on there if you're feeling nerdy.

Oh and Rollins has the sexiest Irish accent :sogood:
Both of them are actually good if you take a look on iTunes :3 Rollins has some good interviews and on iTunesU there's loads of lectures about Kierkegaard on there if you're feeling nerdy.

Oh and Rollins has the sexiest Irish accent :sogood:

I was using iTunesU the other day to listen to lectures on medieval English. The fact that they were the highlight of my week tells you a lot about me.

Sexy Irish accent though? :woo: I'm there for that.

:wavey: Well hello there! Welcome to X-Soc!

:rofl: Thanks hun :teehee:

:rofl: No problem :tongue:
:love: agape was one of my favourite words for a while when I first learnt it (and then I think I forgot about it). But that's the message I always took from the Bible/Christianity, so I hope I can get that feeling back if I work on it. And I'm always up for a debate on the issues, as long as no one's preaching hate from a pulpit :smile:

Also, we've spoken before (back when I had a different username..or we might have spoken once under this one too, I'm not sure..) :ninja:

I recognised your username but didn't realise we'd talked before :facepalm: Sorry! I've got the memory of a goldfish :colondollar:

Hey. :wavey: Welcome to the soc. :hugs:
Reply 939

It seems, having stalked the last few pages, that the conservative brand of Christianity is driving a great many people away, which is a shame :frown: I think most Christians look at them in the same way as most Muslims look at their extremists; as fringe elements who have moved quite a way away from the core message of the faith.

I see you have already received book recommendations :biggrin: so, I think I'll comment on that because it was a book that set me on the road to converting. I think, whilst Kierkegaard and other philosophical works (Boethius is also great I'm finding) are good for the academic puzzle of why one might believe, I'm going to respect that view but say something different :wink: (soz IMakeSenseToNone :tongue:).
Personally, I too was moved to question atheism by a more philosophical book (Miracles by C.S. Lewis), I would say that since you seem to be someone who became unsure about what Christianity was all about (after seeing people misrepresenting it), perhaps a very good introduction to the Christian story might be in order. By that I don't mean a sort of infant book 'there was a nice man called Jesus who said be very nice to people' :biggrin: I actually had in mind Simply Christian by the great Tom Wright. You may not have heard of him, but he is the top world expert in early Church history, theology, and the new testament, former Bishop of Durham (now lecturing at St Andrews), and author of about 50 books on Christianity, including 3 800 page books on the origins of Christianity, the first being THE case for the resurrection. Not only is he the world expert on what Christianity is all about, but he is a really gifted and engaging writer, and not someone who just popularises traditional teaching, but who challenges anything that is not truly Christian, rooted in the new testament and early church (things like a physical hell, all male priesthood, heaven as the final destination). He also has, in my opinion, an awesome (I hesitate to say 'sexy' :wink:) voice :tongue:
I also got his other book in that series, Simply Jesus, which gives a layperson's explanation of all the research he has done into the historical Jesus.

I found these two 2min videos he did interesting:

On Hell

On the Historical Resurrection

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending