The Student Room Group

Debenhams Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by ZarqaaX
I got the group interview coming up but i wanted to know what to expect when i have the 1 to 1 interview with it? What kind of questions do they ask in it? Luckily i've been already told what to expect with the group activity lol

I did not have a group task but my 1 to 1 interview involved a bit about myself, although the interviewer just chatted to me and wrote down that I go to college and what I study. The earliest and latest I could work and what days. Qualities I have, why I want to work for them, if I wanted to add anything else to support myself, and a few others but I can't remember them. My interview was quite laid back and probably one of the best ones I have. (bare in mind I have only had 4 interviews!)
Hello, I just passed my telephone interview today for the Xmas temp role as a sales advisor, and have the group and 1-to-1 interviews in two weeks. Just wondering if anyone knows what the group tasks and solo interview will involve? I've been told there will be 10 of us there so it's not too many, but this will be my first job interview so I'm a bit nervous and don't know what to expect.
Any info would be much appreciated! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had my interview this moring and just got offered a job :biggrin: its only 8 hours but does anyone know if theres any chance of over time or anything???
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 563
Just heard i got the job at Debenhams 16 hours a week i heard back after 10 days but i start 12th october whereas other people start end of september
Reply 564
What is the chance of Debenhams keeping you after the Christmas period?
So as I said yesterday I managed to get in of the Christmas temp jobs but she said she would phone me back tomorrow (which is today) at 12ish but she still hasn't rang so does anyone know which number i have to ring???
Reply 566
Original post by beccac94
So as I said yesterday I managed to get in of the Christmas temp jobs but she said she would phone me back tomorrow (which is today) at 12ish but she still hasn't rang so does anyone know which number i have to ring???

I'm not sure if I can post phone numbers in here, but it's the number that you would have had your phone interview on :smile:

I know I have a job (unless they change their mind) but I don't know where or what hours yet, so I'm just waiting for a phone call :tongue:
Original post by NiallD
I'm not sure if I can post phone numbers in here, but it's the number that you would have had your phone interview on :smile:

I know I have a job (unless they change their mind) but I don't know where or what hours yet, so I'm just waiting for a phone call :tongue:

Its okay, I just phoned the general job phone thingy and she said if she doesn't phone me by half 5 I'm to phone again tomorrow.

Thats why she said she was going to ring me back because even know I applied for the upper hour limit I've only got 8 hours and I'm meant to start at like 6am but I have to get the train and the first train isn't till 10 past 6 so she was having to chat to the accessories manager.
Reply 568
Had my interview this moring and just got offered a job :biggrin: its only 8 hours but does anyone know if theres any chance of over time or anything???

Hey that's great! I've passed the telephone interview but got my group/one to one on friday! It will be really helpful if you could give me some advice on this as I really need this job :smile:

Thank you!
Original post by MLogan
Hey that's great! I've passed the telephone interview but got my group/one to one on friday! It will be really helpful if you could give me some advice on this as I really need this job :smile:

Thank you!

I think the best thing you can do it just be yourself, just talk to everyone and seem friendly get really involved in the group things and be confident!!! Don't just sit there and let everyone else do the work cause they're looking for a team player and even when you've finished a tast make conversations with the other people cause its a bit about how you get along with other people and how you can work in a group. I didn't have a one to one interview so I can't help you on that bit :smile:
Reply 570
I think the best thing you can do it just be yourself, just talk to everyone and seem friendly get really involved in the group things and be confident!!! Don't just sit there and let everyone else do the work cause they're looking for a team player and even when you've finished a tast make conversations with the other people cause its a bit about how you get along with other people and how you can work in a group. I didn't have a one to one interview so I can't help you on that bit :smile:

That's the thing, I'm really not that confident but if it means getting this job then i shall try and be confident! What kind of tasks do they make you do? So as soon as we go in there all we do is just speak and people will be looking at how well we get along with everyone else? How many people were there for your group interview?

Sorry about so many questions! Just nervous, still don't know how i managed to pass the telephone interview.

Thank you by the way :smile:
Reply 571
Original post by MLogan
That's the thing, I'm really not that confident but if it means getting this job then i shall try and be confident! What kind of tasks do they make you do? So as soon as we go in there all we do is just speak and people will be looking at how well we get along with everyone else? How many people were there for your group interview?

Sorry about so many questions! Just nervous, still don't know how i managed to pass the telephone interview.

Thank you by the way :smile:

There where about 11 people at my group assessment 1 didn't turn up we went in and sat around a large table and we did a couple of activities which i will list below.

-First we did and ice breaker they didn't test us on this we said our name and said a little bit about ourselves

-Secondly we discussed with the person sitting next to us what the phrase customer delight meant to us as well as good and bad customer service which we have experienced as customers ourselves.

-Then we matched customer profiles to designers which would match their choice and budget ( i didn't know anything about the designers but this was done as a group so didn't have much problem.

-Then we went on to the shop floor to see which were the positive things about the store and which were the negative things about the store after this you went back to the assessment and then from there we were taken to the staff room were we were told to wait until we were called for our one to one.

this happened at my group assessment your may be similar but from looking through other peoples experiences it does vary from store to store but something may be similar.

Don't worry about it even i am not that confident but i still got the job here are some of the things you may want to do to increase your chances like i did.

Dress smart i was way over dressed and i got complimented by the interview who was actually the manager

Try to participate in all tasks

Don't talk over anyone

Help other when you see them struggling shows that you are a team player.

Say that you can work efficiently in a team don't say you can cause that would put them off they always employ people who work well in a team.

Take a deep breath before asking any questions the interview will understand that you need a couple of minutes to prepare your answer.

Also to give you a heads up these are the questions which i got asked

Why do you want to work for us

How will this position benefit you

Tell us a bit about your self (don't say any negative things)

Give an example when you would require the help of a member of staff ( say a supervisor when a customer has a complaint i forgot this but was still successfully)

Have you got any holidays booked (should not book any or have booked as this would be a great disadvantaged as they would like you to be ready at all times Christmas is a busy period)

P.S sorry for the long post or any spelling or gramatical mistakes but hopefully you will be successfully and you will get it BTW which store did you apply for
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 572
Original post by MO&*^
There where about 11 people at my group assessment 1 didn't turn up we went in and sat around a large table and we did a couple of activities which i will list below.

-First we did and ice breaker they didn't test us on this we said our name and said a little bit about ourselves

-Secondly we discussed with the person sitting next to us what the phrase customer delight meant to us as well as good and bad customer service which we have experienced as customers ourselves.

-Then we matched customer profiles to designers which would match their choice and budget ( i didn't know anything about the designers but this was done as a group so didn't have much problem.

-Then we went on to the shop floor to see which were the positive things about the store and which were the negative things about the store after this you went back to the assessment and then from there we were taken to the staff room were we were told to wait until we were called for our one to one.

this happened at my group assessment your may be similar but from looking through other peoples experiences it does vary from store to store but something may be similar.

Don't worry about it even i am not that confident but i still got the job here are some of the things you may want to do to increase your chances like i did.

Dress smart i was way over dressed and i got complimented by the interview who was actually the manager

Try to participate in all tasks

Don't talk over anyone

Help other when you see them struggling shows that you are a team player.

Say that you can work efficiently in a team don't say you can cause that would put them off they always employ people who work well in a team.

Take a deep breath before asking any questions the interview will understand that you need a couple of minutes to prepare your answer.

Also to give you a heads up these are the questions which i got asked

Why do you want to work for us

How will this position benefit you

Tell us a bit about your self (don't say any negative things)

Give an example when you would require the help of a member of staff ( say a supervisor when a customer has a complaint i forgot this but was still successfully)

Have you got any holidays booked (should not book any or have booked as this would be a great disadvantaged as they would like you to be ready at all times Christmas is a busy period)

P.S sorry for the long post or any spelling or gramatical mistakes but hopefully you will be successfully and you will get it BTW which store did you apply for

Hey Thank you So Much! I couldn't care less about the spelling/grammatical mistakes if i did notice any after all the help you gave! Thank you so much and I applied for the Ilford Store :smile: What about yourself?
Reply 573
So I missed a phone call yesterday from Debenhams telling me to ring a phone number to do a telephone interview, yet when I ring the number it re-directs me to tesco top up service o.O

EDIT: Nevermind, used the home phone and got through
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 574
Hey does anyone know what makes debenhams stand out from its competitors?
Reply 575
Original post by MLogan
Hey does anyone know what makes Debenhams stand out from its competitors?

My group answered a few different things to this question, but the answer that seemed to please them the most was when we talked about all the 'in house' designers that Debenhams have. As all the stuff they do is Debenham's exclusive, it's an obvious thing that makes them stand out.

The other things we mentioned were the usuals, such as good customer service, a clean and tidy store etc. etc.

Had my assessment day today, hope I get the job !
Reply 576
Original post by joefish15
My group answered a few different things to this question, but the answer that seemed to please them the most was when we talked about all the 'in house' designers that Debenhams have. As all the stuff they do is Debenham's exclusive, it's an obvious thing that makes them stand out.

The other things we mentioned were the usuals, such as good customer service, a clean and tidy store etc. etc.

Had my assessment day today, hope I get the job !

Oh okay, Thanks for that! Got any tips for my assesment day which is tomorrow like potential questions...

Any help is appreciated! Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 577
Original post by MLogan
Hey does anyone know what makes debenhams stand out from its competitors?

My assessment day ended up being just an icebreaker activity and then straight onto 1 on 1 interview, but when I was preparing for it the night before I was planning to say things about all the extra things they have and do, such as the cafe and things like wedding planners and personal shoppers and also club cards, and they also have 'The Debenhams Foundation' which is like a handful of charities that Debenhams donate to, all of those things make it stand out from competitors such as John Lewis :smile:

Found out today I have an 8 hour contract on the gift department, the only induction dates offered were on Mondays which I'm not able to do as I have college so the woman said she's going to try and arrange some weekend ones and then call me back, the dates she gave me weren't until the end of October though so I think I have a bit of time before I start, which I'm kind of relieved about because I have such a busy period at college at the moment :tongue:
Reply 578
Original post by NiallD
My assessment day ended up being just an icebreaker activity and then straight onto 1 on 1 interview, but when I was preparing for it the night before I was planning to say things about all the extra things they have and do, such as the cafe and things like wedding planners and personal shoppers and also club cards, and they also have 'The Debenhams Foundation' which is like a handful of charities that Debenhams donate to, all of those things make it stand out from competitors such as John Lewis :smile:

Found out today I have an 8 hour contract on the gift department, the only induction dates offered were on Mondays which I'm not able to do as I have college so the woman said she's going to try and arrange some weekend ones and then call me back, the dates she gave me weren't until the end of October though so I think I have a bit of time before I start, which I'm kind of relieved about because I have such a busy period at college at the moment :tongue:

Hey that's great! Well done, you must of been amazing at the 1 to 1 interview! I hope mine is as easy as your assessment day :smile:
Reply 579
Original post by MLogan
Hey that's great! Well done, you must of been amazing at the 1 to 1 interview! I hope mine is as easy as your assessment day :smile:

Thanks! Haha well I guess I got on well with my interviewer so that made things easier, I only had 4 people in my group so there wasn't really any point in doing the group activities so I guess that's why they scrapped them, best of luck with your assessment day! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending