The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

I think my personal statement is finally polishing up quite nicely... however I'm on 46 lines and 3991 characters so there's no way I'll be able to fit lines in between paragraphs! I've already done so much painful cutting of things from volunteering and work experience etc to get it under the character limit!
Reply 1701
Original post by SusieShire
I think my personal statement is finally polishing up quite nicely... however I'm on 46 lines and 3991 characters so there's no way I'll be able to fit lines in between paragraphs! I've already done so much painful cutting of things from volunteering and work experience etc to get it under the character limit!

Haha same, managed to get 3999 characters and 47 lines, it's so hard chopping stuff out let alone fitting lines between paragraphs :tongue:
Reply 1702
Original post by lmccormick
Hey could anyone offer me some advice please. Ive got 780 in my ukcat, A*AA at a level and 5A*6A at GCSE. So far I think I am applying to Queens' Belfast, Glasgow and Newcastle, but I can't decide on the last one i'm . Does anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer a course thats not entirely PBL, just don't think it would suit my learning style! Thanks in advance!!

You could apply to both Durham and Newcastle, I'm pretty sure that would guarantee you 2 instant interviews. Durham is not PBL, it is integrated using case based approach too :smile:
Original post by Gulzar
Thank youuuuu. One of the unis is actually my top choice...EXETER :biggrin:
Where r u applying?

I have a place at Sheffield, but I've had to defer for a year for family/personal reasons. Should have started next week :frown:
Original post by PG593
You could apply to both Durham and Newcastle, I'm pretty sure that would guarantee you 2 instant interviews. Durham is not PBL, it is integrated using case based approach too :smile:

Original post by Pastaferian
Southampton has switched this year to being UKCAT-heavy - you could think about them. You've got good grades and a very good UKCAT score - the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' might suggest some more possibilities. Good luck!

Thanks!! I'll definitely take a look into those two!
Original post by tdx
from what I'm aware UEA set no cut off for the UKCAT and they look at it alongside your school academic record, GCSE's, A-Levels e.t.c. ... so basically someone with a relatively low score may still be interviewed on the basis of strong academics elsewhere and vice versa, someone with low GCSE's/AS grades (but still within the minimum requirements) may be offered an interview on the basis of a high UKCAT score :smile:

Thanks!
I'm thinking of applying to Manchester for Midwifery for my fifth choice - problem is, I'm applying to Manchester for Medicine as well. do you think it'll adversely affect my application in any way since the uni will be able to see that I've applied to them twice?
Reply 1707
Original post by SusieShire

I didn't use lines between paras, but made sure the last line of each para was a short one so visually it was quite easy to tell paras apart and not hit you with a wall of text.
Original post by MadamePuddifoot
I'm thinking of applying to Manchester for Midwifery for my fifth choice - problem is, I'm applying to Manchester for Medicine as well. do you think it'll adversely affect my application in any way since the uni will be able to see that I've applied to them twice?

If your PS is directed towards medicine, it will not affect your med application. However, it is very likely, considering the competition of those wanting to be midwives, that it will affect your midwifery application.
Original post by MadamePuddifoot

No, it won't have any adverse effect for medicine. Med schools know that every candidate has to choose a fifth non-medicine course - it's routine, and they won't interpret it negatively. I applied for medicine and biomed at a single university, partly in the hope that they might think I was more committed to study at their university - I got offers for both courses. Good luck!
Original post by bluepanda123
Is anyone applying as a graduate for the 5 year course? Good luck everyone!

Maybe head over to the grad entry applicants thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1711
Hey guys! Need some help.

For anyone who has started work, if you didn't have all the vaccinations for the OH check before employment what do you do???

Do I arrange to get my GP to do it or does the OHdepartment deal with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Hey guys! Need some help.

For anyone who has started work, if you didn't have all the vaccinations for the OH check before employment what do you do???

Do I arrange to get my GP to do it or does the OHdepartment deal with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The OH department should deal with it. Most people don't have all the vaccines done before their first NHS job.

You should have an OH assessment form to complete and then possibly an appointment for new starters after which your vaccines should be arranged. Incidentally you should also take advantage of the free flu jabs that'll be available around November time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1713
Original post by manupalace
The OH department should deal with it. Most people don't have all the vaccines done before their first NHS job.

You should have an OH assessment form to complete and then possibly an appointment for new starters after which your vaccines should be arranged. Incidentally you should also take advantage of the free flu jabs that'll be available around November time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright thanks :smile: so I just send the OH questionnaire with everything I have and then expect an appointment? Or should I leave a note to let them know I'm a starter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1714
Done my UKCAT yesterday, thinking of Aberdeen, Barts, Keele but dunno about the last option..
Just popped in to wish you all good luck! :smile:
Original post by Zaphod77
Just popped in to wish you all good luck! :smile:

Thanks from me! Im sure others will appreciate it too aha :tongue:
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Alright thanks :smile: so I just send the OH questionnaire with everything I have and then expect an appointment? Or should I leave a note to let them know I'm a starter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They should know you're a new starter (by that I mean someone who is starting a new job) as they're the only people who have to complete that form. They may then ask you to come in for an appointment but this varies between different trusts, some only do that if there is something concerning on the form (e.g. an illness that may affect your ability to do your job) so there's no need to add a note as all the info they need should be in the questionnaire, if not they'll contact you. Either way they'll let you know about which vaccines they want you to have and arrange it for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1718
Original post by manupalace
They should know you're a new starter (by that I mean someone who is starting a new job) as they're the only people who have to complete that form. They may then ask you to come in for an appointment but this varies between different trusts, some only do that if there is something concerning on the form (e.g. an illness that may affect your ability to do your job) so there's no need to add a note as all the info they need should be in the questionnaire, if not they'll contact you. Either way they'll let you know about which vaccines they want you to have and arrange it for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Alright, thank you very much :smile: much appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1719
Done my UKCAT! Did so much better than last year, I got 615 last year but got 685 band 1 this year! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending