The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

http://search.ucas.com/course/entryrequirements/120888/economics?Lat=53.96230&Lng=-1.08188&Feather=2&Query=Economics&Location=York&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2014&page=1&providerids=2323&ret=results#coursedetailsmenu

It says York offers range from AAB to AAA. When would they ask for AAB?
Reply 1021
Original post by Alex-Torres
http://search.ucas.com/course/entryrequirements/120888/economics?Lat=53.96230&Lng=-1.08188&Feather=2&Query=Economics&Location=York&Vac=1&AvailableIn=2014&page=1&providerids=2323&ret=results#coursedetailsmenu

It says York offers range from AAB to AAA. When would they ask for AAB?

I believe its stuff like mitigating circumstances, not being in a particularly good school etc but very occasionally you can get that a lower if you present yourself to be a very good candidate but are on a ABB/AAB prediction (Borderline basically).
Reply 1022
Original post by Jkizer
I believe its stuff like mitigating circumstances, not being in a particularly good school etc but very occasionally you can get that a lower if you present yourself to be a very good candidate but are on a ABB/AAB prediction (Borderline basically).

No in fact with York I don't think this is the case. I called them and they told me that the AAA offer used to be for people not taking maths, but since they now require maths they will mainly be giving out AAB offers now (with a B in maths)
Original post by SuDa2103
No in fact with York I don't think this is the case. I called them and they told me that the AAA offer used to be for people not taking maths, but since they now require maths they will mainly be giving out AAB offers now (with a B in maths)

Ive sent them an email
Reply 1024
Original post by SuDa2103

Strange, York is a pretty high fly university so I always imagined they made maths a requirement

I just used my explanation as a generalized format after talking to an Exeter student regarding the A*AA-AAB entry requirement which they vary offers such as offering A*AA to high predicted/achievers and AAA/AAB to applicants who may be on the straight road or borderline

Posted from TSR Mobile
How's everyone's applications going so far?
My form tutor has finished my reference and added my predicted grades and she's going to send it to be checked by the school on Monday (hopefully). Not sure how long they will take to check it but I'm hoping it will reach UCAS by this time next week :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloxorus
How's everyone's applications going so far?
My form tutor has finished my reference and added my predicted grades and she's going to send it to be checked by the school on Monday (hopefully). Not sure how long they will take to check it but I'm hoping it will reach UCAS by this time next week :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Almost done my personal statement, just got a few things to change. Apparently our references are done yet still haven't gotten a predicted grade yet.
Original post by Dilzo999
Almost done my personal statement, just got a few things to change. Apparently our references are done yet still haven't gotten a predicted grade yet.

Yeah that must be annoying :mad: especially if you're waiting for your predicted grades before you decide where to apply.
Reply 1028
Hi does any one have any tips on getting into at a top 10 in UK uni for economics? e.g personal statement tips or extra-curricular. Thanks :smile:
Original post by Jkizer

no AAA offers are for those who apply without Maths to A2 level , AAB offers are for those who study Maths ( and they usually want the B in Maths )
Hey guys,question, I was checking out economics courses and I came across economics and econometrics at Bristol Which asks for AAA whereas economics on is own they ask for A*AA. Is there a reason for this? Is economics valued higher by itself to employers and such?

Thanks!
Reply 1031
Original post by blazekid75
Hey guys,question, I was checking out economics courses and I came across economics and econometrics at Bristol Which asks for AAA whereas economics on is own they ask for A*AA. Is there a reason for this? Is economics valued higher by itself to employers and such?

Thanks!

More dudes rather do Straight end Economics rather than Economics and Econometrics i guess, so entry requirement reduces.

Original post by Fas
no AAA offers are for those who apply without Maths to A2 level , AAB offers are for those who study Maths ( and they usually want the B in Maths )

What circumstances would the student get the A*AA offer? o.o
Original post by Jkizer
More dudes rather do Straight end Economics rather than Economics and Econometrics i guess, so entry requirement reduces.

What circumstances would the student get the A*AA offer? o.o

certain York don't do an A*AA offer ?! :/
Original post by Jkizer

So Economics and econometrics isnt viewed lower than straight economics? Especially by employers?
:confused:
Guys is it wise to take 2 insurances with the same requirements? Judging by the "Standard offer"?
Reply 1035
Original post by Fas
certain York don't do an A*AA offer ?! :/

Ma bad. I mentioned Exeter as my overgeneralisation a couple of posts later:smile:

So Economics and econometrics isnt viewed lower than straight economics? Especially by employers?
:confused:

I definitely wouldnt say so. Econometrics is a very respected subject, with tonnes of complex maths - maybe a reason why people like me rather do straight economics :biggrin:

I THINK its basically just applied mathematics and stats in economics, so you instantly show your employers that you have a great logical mind :smile: Good alternative i guess to Maths and economics.
Original post by Jkizer
Ma bad. I mentioned Exeter as my overgeneralisation a couple of posts later:smile:

I definitely wouldnt say so. Econometrics is a very respected subject, with tonnes of complex maths - maybe a reason why people like me rather do straight economics :biggrin:

I THINK its basically just applied mathematics and stats in economics, so you instantly show your employers that you have a great logical mind :smile: Good alternative i guess to Maths and economics.

On the bristol website the modules you do are basically the same but with econ+econometric you have to do some econometrics and you get less module points to choose your own modules.
Hmm Im guessing it might be good to apply then maybe,because I was thinking of taking mathematical modules :smile:
Reply 1037
On the bristol website the modules you do are basically the same but with econ+econometric you have to do some econometrics and you get less module points to choose your own modules.
Hmm Im guessing it might be good to apply then maybe,because I was thinking of taking mathematical modules :smile:

Just make sure you talk a lot about your maths in your PStatement then !

My mate went to an LSE and Exeter(?) open day where he talked to some of the students/admissions and they both talked about how students pick Joint honours such as Econ+Finance/History/Accounting/Econometric due to their usual lower entry requirement than single Economic, which results in students just talking about Economics and nothing about their chosen joint.

Basically i guess they were implying, some students see it as an 'easier way' of getting an offer/in which doesn't impress the admissions at all when they mention nothing about 50% of their chosen course.
Original post by Jkizer
Just make sure you talk a lot about your maths in your PStatement then !

My mate went to an LSE and Exeter(?) open day where he talked to some of the students/admissions and they both talked about how students pick Joint honours such as Econ+Finance/History/Accounting/Econometric due to their usual lower entry requirement than single Economic, which results in students just talking about Economics and nothing about their chosen joint.

Basically i guess they were implying, some students see it as an 'easier way' of getting an offer/in which doesn't impress the admissions at all when they mention nothing about 50% of their chosen course.

Yeah I guess,But anyway I'll see depending on my predictions..Which i still don't have...:angry:
Yeah I guess,But anyway I'll see depending on my predictions..Which i still don't have...:angry:

I know how you feel, it pisses me off how some schools give their predictions on results day/the first week back yet for us it takes them months.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending