The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

I was just wondering if anyone here has any advice about social anxiety and how to deal with it? I'm absolutely fine with people I know and like to think I'm quite a bubbly/cheerful person, but I tend to go to pieces when it comes to meeting new people in a social setting. I'm not really sure, I guess it's confidence issues but any experiences/wisdom/advice people have to offer would be really gratefully received. Thanks.
Just spent the past few hours totally melting on my poor mum. :frown: Such a ****ty ****ty person. I'm a waste of air. :cry2: Not functioning as a human being and dont deserve to be here. I'm such a drain on peoples time and resources and I always take take take without giving anything back. Fecking useless. :cry:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tasha96
Just spent the past few hours totally melting on my poor mum. :frown: Such a ****ty ****ty person. I'm a waste of air. :cry2: Not functioning as a human being and dont deserve to be here. I'm such a drain on peoples time and resources and I always take take take without giving anything back. Fecking useless. :cry:

Everyone has moments where emotionally they just need to let everything out- doing it doesn't make you a bad person, simply a normal one. I'd be more worried if I heard you never felt the need to express how you feel to those close to you; it's not healthy to keep things bottled up. You may view that conversation with your mum as a waste of time and a drain but I imagine she found it both very valuable and important in the sense that she got to better understand and support her daughter who she no doubt cares a huge amount about. The fact you have relatives who you can express yourself to is more than many people have- don't be ashamed of the fact you have those people there to support you because it's nothing but a positive :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by tasha96

:hugs:
Your not **** Hun, because you DO give back, you may not think, but you do. You help so many people on here out, you volunteer, your doing the outdoorsy stuff at school which I guess will be volunteering and helping the school out :yep:
Your an awesome human being that deserves lots of butterflies and happiness :tongue:
:penguinhug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by PonchoKid
:hugs:
Your not **** Hun, because you DO give back, you may not think, but you do. You help so many people on here out, you volunteer, your doing the outdoorsy stuff at school which I guess will be volunteering and helping the school out :yep:
Your an awesome human being that deserves lots of butterflies and happiness :tongue:
:penguinhug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, but I know that cant be true. :frown: I really am a ****ty person. My poor mum shouldnn't bVhave to put up with me. :cry2: Even the volunteering makes me bad[- I'm doing it because it distracts me from everything that's going on so that makes me selfish. :cry:
Hopee you're okau. :hugs:
Reply 7665
After a good start, things are going downhill :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tasha96
Thank you, but I know that cant be true. :frown: I really am a ****ty person. My poor mum shouldnn't bVhave to put up with me. :cry2: Even the volunteering makes me bad[- I'm doing it because it distracts me from everything that's going on so that makes me selfish. :cry:
Hopee you're okau. :hugs:

Volunteering is the LEAST selfish thing to do even if you do have personal motives, giving up your own time to help others deffinately isnt selfish :nah:
Your mum loves you and always will so she doesnt put up with you! She helps you and looks after you cos she cares!

So you are super :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by avhhs
After a good start, things are going downhill :sad:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im on skype if you need a chat :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7668
Not doing very well. Need to woman. The ****. Up.
Ignore me, I just need to rant and brain storm so I can psychoanalyse me and also, I have literally no one to go to.

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)
Didn't have to lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unl... ... ... the door this evening! :biggrin:
Little victories at a time but they build up. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tasha96

Well, one could say that everything is selfish, but it is not. It is detrimental to our living as human beings. A person not feeling well, just bottling up will be on the long run not good for the others. I mean you get distracted by helping others. => I definitely can't see anything bad about it, although I know it is difficult to understand in some moods. But would you say your colleagues are selfish? Come on ... :smile:
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm getting therapy with a psychologist every couple of weeks, it's slow progress though if progress at all - hockey tomorrow and I'm already thinking of excuses to miss it :colondollar: I dunno, I just feel like I'm not really getting anywhere, I always talk to the psychologist about hockey and volunteering but then I find it too difficult to put what we discussed into practice. I feel like if I was a stronger person I'd do it fine but I'm not. You're right that my wife knew who she was marrying but I feel like maybe she didn't realize how long it would take to fix things. Nor did I though, to be fair to her.

Go to hockey! Thousands of kids are just there, because their moms sent them there. Yeah, okay, maybe not helpful, but just to encourage you. Force you to think of the feeling and just go. (Do you really only get therapy every couple of weeks? That sounds a bit rare for me to expect a significant prospect? But I am not a health professional, so ... )

Maybe you are not that strong now, but you'll get.

Are you able to help out at home? That is already a big help.

It is okay, that it is hard for you and your wife. She probably feels as helpless as you. And from my experience most people are not able to understand what that takes or gives to someone. But just because she is a bit annoyed you should not retreat.
Reply 7673
Woke up to an extremely bouncy 5 year old. On my bed. :tongue:

Tired but feeling more like I can get through the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
What's wrong? I'm with you on feeling alone, are things due to get better soon? Anything we can help with?

Had a few good weeks and I guess I've come down. Had some time out to myself, feeling as bad but less panicky and unsafe about it. I don't really know what's wrong so nothing anyone can really do, sorry :frown:

Original post by 05autyt
I'm here to talk to if you want!! :hugs:

Thank you, I might take you up on that offer soon. How are you doing?

Original post by Kindred
Big big hugs!! :hugs:

Just seen your first post. Good to see you back. You've just been on holiday haven't you? How was it? We need to catch up. :smile:

Not good at all hearing how down you are atm. :/ PM me if you want so we can talk. I know it may sound silly (but then again it may not), but have you thought about emailing or phoning Samaritans or somebody for support?

As I said, PM me. I'm having all the uni stresses too (all my friends have gone earlier as well). xx

I will give you a PM right now ^^ we do have lots to catch up on xx
Original post by asdfgah
Woke up to an extremely bouncy 5 year old. On my bed. :tongue:

Tired but feeling more like I can get through the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woke up at perhaps 11 to having housework done in my room after falling asleep at 9am then falling back to sleep intermittently trying to get some shuteye. I'm terrible without my sleep.
Hello! This looks like my sort of thread. I recently spent a year in a YPU, being discharged at the beginning of August. It's nice to meet you all. c:
Original post by Hollyperidol
Hello! This looks like my sort of thread. I recently spent a year in a YPU, being discharged at the beginning of August. It's nice to meet you all. c:

:hi: welcome

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7678
Original post by Anonymous
Almost, why did you take it? If you don't mind me asking. I was wondering if it was meant for insomniacs or people who have trouble maintaining a normal sleeping pattern or what.

Well I took it because I was hardly sleeping at all so mostly insomnia, however if I did sleep it was mostly early hours of the morning so I'd only get a couple of hours, which is what it has pretty much reverted too now.. But I think for either one of those it could help!

Thank you! It's nice to meet you.

Has anyone had experiences with tight-fisted, medication-shy GPs? My GP has been prescribing me diazepam for my anxiety, and it's been working a treat. It makes me feel human, something so, so elusive. It makes me functional enough to attend school. However, the latest scrip is of ten 2mg pills to last me two weeks.

Considering I took 10mg last night alone, I don't think this is going to work out... Haha. What can I do to obtain more? Or perhaps I need a higher potency benzo?

Latest