The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C_Harkin
I got 768 in my UKcat! Is this good enough to apply to Newcastle and Durham with??

Posted from TSR Mobile

No they're only accepting people with 768.5 this year. Sorry.

-_-
I can't decide between Keele, BSMS and St Georges University of London. Which one should I pick?
Reply 642
I'm applying to SGUL, Leicester, Keele and KCL

Do any of the following object to AS re-sits, provided that they are done within the two years?
Original post by ElixirOfLife.
No they're only accepting people with 768.5 this year. Sorry.

-_-

^^^^ This deserves reps. Hahahaha
Reply 644
Original post by Pastaferian
You've obviously got a strong academic record - the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' will tell you which med schools would be a good fit. However, wait until you've got your UKCAT scores before making final decisions, as the UKCAT score could also affect your choices. You will definitely need the English qualification - it's a requirement for every med school. As you won't have it when you apply, make sure it is clear that you plan to take it this year (perhaps your teacher can include this fact in the school's reference?). Good luck!

Thanx indeed :smile:

My teacher will definitely write about me taking the english Gcse along A2 ..

However i e mailed most of the universities, it doesn't seem to be a problem as they gonna add English Gcse to my Conditional offer ( if i get one )

Lets see how UKCAT goes :smile:
Thanks for the help pastaferian. I will defo look into that. Are there any unis that don't look at ukcat as much.
I got 7A* 2A and 1B at gcse and am predicted 3A at A2 but I just can't figure out where to apply in order to have the maximum chance of getting an interview and hopefully an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 646
hi, I was just wondering if anyone knows which unis out of Glasgow and St Andrews has the lower UKCAT cut off or average? thanks :smile:
Original post by (Assassin)
Thanks for the help pastaferian. I will defo look into that. Are there any unis that don't look at ukcat as much.
I got 7A* 2A and 1B at gcse and am predicted 3A at A2 but I just can't figure out where to apply in order to have the maximum chance of getting an interview and hopefully an offer.

Yes, it's very confusing. However, you've got good GCSE grades, and there are some med schools which focus on your best N grades (N=7,8 or 9, typically). Other med schools focus more on AS grades - you could look at those if your AS grades are good. Check the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' which highlights such places - it also highlights places that do/don't emphasise UKCAT. The general advice on deciding where to apply is to make a list (or spreadsheet) of all the med schools, and start crossing them off...

where can you apply (minimum GCSE grades? right AS/A2 subjects? right AS grades? - see wiki articles on GCSE and A level requirements)

where should you apply? where will your application be competitive? see 'applying using your strengths'

where do you want to apply? do you like the course? the campus? the city? etc

Good luck!
(edited 10 years ago)
what are the Unis that dont look at UKCAT?
Original post by MedicalMaureen
what are the Unis that dont look at UKCAT?

Liverpool, Lancaster, Birmingham , bristol, don't use it
Imperial, UCL, Oxford and Cambridge use bmat
BSMS and Keele use it as tie breaker after interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 650
How do King's look at the UKCAT? I am aware that they have very high requirements but do they consider each section individually or the average score?
Thank you!
Original post by Pastaferian
Yes, it's very confusing. However, you've got good GCSE grades, and there are some med schools which focus on your best N grades (N=7,8 or 9, typically). Other med schools focus more on AS grades - you could look at those if your AS grades are good. Check the wiki article on 'applying using your strengths' which highlights such places - it also highlights places that do/don't emphasise UKCAT. The general advice on deciding where to apply is to make a list (or spreadsheet) of all the med schools, and start crossing them off...

where can you apply (minimum GCSE grades? right AS/A2 subjects? right AS grades? - see wiki articles on GCSE and A level requirements)

where should you apply? where will your application be competitive? see 'applying using your strengths'

where do you want to apply? do you like the course? the campus? the city? etc

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just sent my UCAS off to referee

I've applied to Cambridge, Edinburgh, King's and Durham. :smile:

Thanks for all your help - good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 653
Have most people submitted their UCAS yet?
Who's entering their module grades on UCAS? Would it look suspicious if i don't?
Also i got C in AS chem but re-took one of the exams and got a high mark pushing my chem AS overall to A. On UCAS do i put A or C for AS chem? My c in AS chem was certificated though..
Original post by MikeyP96
What sort of work experience/ extra curriculars has everyone got?
I have:

1 week in a pathology lab in a hospital
1 week in various departments in a hospital
1 day observation physiotherapy
1 day observation in radiography

I also volunteer with young adults who have autism, learning disabilities, downs syndrome, physical disabilities and PMLD ( by the time i apply id have been doing that 4 a year)
Im a sexual health peer mentor at school
Im part of a youth council at Bham childrens hospital
Im part of youth department of health panel
Ive been volunteering at a charity shop for 2 years (3 when i apply)
I volunteered at a dementia care home for a week
I did Bronze D.of.E
Ive been doing karate for 6 months
I was part of an Awareness for Alopecia campaign
Im part of a Medical Ethics group and Amnesty international group
I do HE+ and A2P Keele Medicine
I did Tennis for 2 years and Badminton and table tennis for 6 months

WOW!! :O you're sorted!!!
Reply 656
OH so glad I found this thread! My college hasn't been very useful with information on how to apply for medicine, interviews and ukcat!

I'm going to this event at Imperial next weekend which my friend recommended to me. She said it was so helpful when she went last year and now she's starting medicine at imperial soon! If anyone's interested, its at Imperial next Sunday and here's the link to the event. https://www.facebook.com/events/485775341509481/

I contacted the person in charge and she told me that there were going to be doctors available as well as students so it would be really beneficial going to get as much help as I can, which lets face it, we all need!!!
Reply 657
Omg UroosaaM- I am going to this event too!! My sister went 2 years ago and suggested it to me so me and a group of friends are going :smile: Can't wait!! Hopefully will see you there :smile:
Reply 658
Hi, can you tell me the strategy about how to benefit most from this event? I mean what should we bring with us in order to get maximum benefit from this event?
Thank you...
Original post by dadiamondz
Just sent my UCAS off to referee

I've applied to Cambridge, Edinburgh, King's and Durham. :smile:

Thanks for all your help - good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applied to Edinburgh too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending