The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I can't wait for Robocop. In terms of 'superhero' movies this and Kickass are amongst my favourites. The original was dark and holds up so well even today. If the new one tones it down to a 12 or something, it will be awful. I'm curious about the dystopian future they create. The original was brilliant in this regard. I loved all those news bulletins scattered throughout. Nice touch. Corporations running society is always a nice theme :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
I can't wait for Robocop. In terms of 'superhero' movies this and Kickass are amongst my favourites. The original was dark and holds up so well even today. If the new one tones it down to a 12 or something, it will be awful. I'm curious about the dystopian future they create. The original was brilliant in this regard. I loved all those news bulletins scattered throughout. Nice touch. Corporations running society is always a nice theme :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Corporate-run Dystopian futures is one of the niche sub-genres that I love and yet i've never seen Robocop :K: If it has loads of background story-telling though then I need to see it, they're always some of my favourites parts of films, like in Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Shaun of the Dead where the hints of the creatures at the beginning is more fun than the monsters themselves :3 Twin Peaks was pretty legendary for that as well (a group of sailors practising team ball bouncing in the hotel, anyone?).

Speaking of Twin Peaks, 'outsider comes into small town with creepy secrets' and 'murder investigations which go supernatural' are wonderful lil sub-genres along with Corporate dystopias :daydreaming: There's not enough of them although the latter has a lot of duds but any film with a lot of paranoia in it is something I will swoon over :sogood:
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
Corporate-run Dystopian futures is one of the niche sub-genres that I love and yet i've never seen Robocop :K: If it has loads of background story-telling though then I need to see it, they're always some of my favourites parts of films, like in Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Shaun of the Dead where the hints of the creatures at the beginning is more fun than the monsters themselves :3 Twin Peaks was pretty legendary for that as well (a group of sailors practising team ball bouncing in the hotel, anyone?).

Speaking of Twin Peaks, 'outsider comes into small town with creepy secrets' and 'murder investigations which go supernatural' are wonderful lil sub-genres along with Corporate dystopias :daydreaming: There's not enough of them although the latter has a lot of duds but any film with a lot of paranoia in it is something I will swoon over :sogood:

You should definitely watch Robocop. It's essentially a scifi-action movie; a cop that gets gunned down, bought by a corporation who then turn him in to a robot and own him. It's good fun and a little dark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8823
No cinema this week, so my top ten underrated Disney songs instead. :h:

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/top-ten-underrated-disney-songs/
Original post by aja89
No cinema this week, so my top ten underrated Disney songs instead. :h:

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/10/top-ten-underrated-disney-songs/

Very good list. Thanks for adding "Strangers Like Me", I haven't heard it in a while :colondollar:

I agree with the comment on Notre Dame, it's very underrated mainly because it doesn't fit in with Disney's cliches. The film is quite chilling and somewhat satirical.

I always thought "When She Loved Me" (which I sing all the time) and "He Lives in You" were very well received songs.
Reply 8825
Went back to the IMDB bottom 100 list and this time picked Mariah Carey film Glitter from 2001. I have had better evenings. :colonhash:

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/second-chance-saloon-glitter-2001/
Original post by aja89
Went back to the IMDB bottom 100 list and this time picked Mariah Carey film Glitter from 2001. I have had better evenings. :colonhash:

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/16/second-chance-saloon-glitter-2001/

And what did you expect, I wonder? Aren't there more than enough good ones to get through without deliberately wasting your time on the bad ones?
Original post by aja89

Oh dear!

You should make a ticker thing up to 100.
Saw a VW Beetle with the number plate: PU51 WAG...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abiraleft
Watched Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait the other night, and thought it was really well done. The parts subtitled with Zizou's thoughts and recollections in particular were well-executed; the film maybe could have done more with that. I'm not sure how much non-football fans would appreciate it, but it's more an exercise in artsy execution than a football film - in which respect it has perhaps a bit of a niche appeal. :colondollar:

I recorded this film a year of when it came on BBC2 but ended up switching off as I thought I'd find it boring but decided to give it another whirl when it came on BT Sport and like yourself, I enjoyed it.

You're right, it's not a football film but more about artistry and elegance on a football field and Zidane typifies that. I thought it would have been neat to have his thoughts in audio form but more of that would have been ideal.
Saw The World's End. I absolutely loved every minute of it up until the last 20 or so. It was so hilarious and witty but I just felt the ending was unsatisfying. Just tried to throw too many ideas at me and it didn't work tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Prepare to be disappointed http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/robocop/26503/robocop-remake-is-to-be-pg-13

I thought it was fairly obvious from the trailer that this was going to be a generic, 12A, action flick which was nothing like the original.
:frown:
Reply 8832

Perfection?

I think I'm going to have to re-watch Inception pretty soon, watched it when it first came out and then when it first came out on DVD which means I haven't seen it in like 3 years :beard:
Reply 8833
So many films coming out this year that I want to watch. :excited:

Also, I'll be watching Lust, Caution on Tuesday. Might try to get and read the book before that. :holmes:
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Prepare to be disappointed http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/robocop/26503/robocop-remake-is-to-be-pg-13

I thought it was fairly obvious from the trailer that this was going to be a generic, 12A, action flick which was nothing like the original.
:frown:

Totally deflated now. Wtf is the point of making Robocop? Definitely not watching this in cinema. Itccan't possibly be dark or violent at a 12 cert
Totally deflated now. Wtf is the point of making Robocop? Definitely not watching this in cinema. Itccan't possibly be dark or violent at a 12 cert

Hollywood rarely remakes films to add something new to a film, its usually all about the $$$ and nothing else.

The fact he said "We want this to be seen by as wide an audience as possible" shows that they don't care about the film itself.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
Hollywood rarely remakes films to add something new to a film, its usually all about the $$$ and nothing else.

The fact he said "We want this to be seen by as wide an audience as possible" shows that they don't care about the film itself.

Well screw them I'll torrent it :colonhash: ain't getting my money

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8837
Saw rush recently. Really good film. Enjoyed it, the medical scenes were done really well if a tad graphic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Midnight in Paris

Charming little movie. I've never really watched Woody Allen movies before. Enjoyable, well written. I'd recommend it. 8/10

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8839
New blog post. Review of Diana. Spoiler: it's ****ing awful.

http://ohthatfilmblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/diana-oh-dear/

Quick Reply

Latest