The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hello, I'm really worried about making the wrong choices so I'm in need of a little help. With 665 on my ukcat, I wanted to apply to Queen Mary's but my ucas tarrif points would JUST be 460, so i don't know whether to apply. Any insights from people who applied last year??

Would you apply to leicester with a 55/56 out of 60?

Would you apply to Manchester with my ukcat?

Southampton?
Guys, would my line manager / employer as a HCA be required to provide a reference?
Original post by Shaimaa95
Hello, I'm really worried about making the wrong choices so I'm in need of a little help. With 665 on my ukcat, I wanted to apply to Queen Mary's but my ucas tarrif points would JUST be 460, so i don't know whether to apply. Any insights from people who applied last year??

Would you apply to leicester with a 55/56 out of 60?

Would you apply to Manchester with my ukcat?

Southampton?

Barts is risky, I wouldn't apply there.
Leicester cut off was 57 last year I think but some people with 56 got an interview through their PS.
Southampton are rankin by UKCAT solely and I'm not sure what the minimum score will be required.

How about UEA, Aberdeen, st George's, Exeter, Plymouth, Cardiff, bsms.
Original post by babychocolate
For those who work in the nhs were you automatically enrolled in the pension schemes and did you opt out? Also gor those whobare HCAs did you join any unions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be automatically enrolled unless you opt out which I did (for each new NHS job I got). You can withdraw from the scheme up to 2 years after first joining and get a refund of you payments (minus the additional national insurance you would have paid if you hadn't joined). As another poster said, no need to be joining a pension scheme at 18, make sure you opt out, though some have used it as a method of enforced saving.

I also didn't join a union, don't think it'd be worth the money for such a short time in the job.

Original post by hawflo
To anyone that has written about their role as a HCA in their ps,

Did you talk extensively about the skills you gained from the experience or about your role. I've focused my ps on the latter because I plan on talking about the skills I gained etc at interview, if I even get offered on e this time around (fingers crossed.) I hope that I'm not making a mistake.

I'd say that was a mistake. If I'm interpreting your post correctly you will be just talking about the tasks you complete as part of your job. I'd say this wouldn't qualify as reflection on your experiences. As many people say, over and over, the important thing with work experience is your reflection on what you've learnt and gained, and how you've developed, not just what you did or how long for. Also the HCA route for reapplicants is quite well established now. If you're working on a normal ward or outpatients department they should be fairly familiar with your role. This is especially important to realise if you're applying to PS heavy med schools.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1744
Original post by manupalace
You'll be automatically enrolled unless you opt out which I did (for each new NHS job I got). You can withdraw from the scheme up to 2 years after first joining and get a refund of you payments (minus the additional national insurance you would have paid if you hadn't joined). As another poster said, no need to be joining a pension scheme at 18, make sure you opt out, though some have used it as a method of enforced saving.

I also didn't join a union, don't think it'd be worth the money for such a short time in the job.

I'd say that was a mistake. If I'm interpreting your post correctly you will be just talking about the tasks you complete as part of your job. I'd say this wouldn't qualify as reflection on your experiences. As many people say, over and over, the important thing with work experience is your reflection on what you've learnt and gained, and how you've developed, not just what you did or how long for. Also the HCA route for reapplicants is quite well established now. If you're working on a normal ward or outpatients department they should be fairly familiar with your role. This is especially important to realise if you're applying to PS heavy med schools.

You're right, that makes a lot of sense. My problem is that I don't want to sound like I'm repeating myself by harping on about what skill/s I gained. I've got two weeks left to refine my personal statement, which isn't a lot of time but thanks for the advice :smile: Also, you got into Imperial, which is my dream medical school so congrats!!
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hawflo
You're right, that makes a lot of sense. My problem is that I don't want to sound like I'm repeating myself by harping on about what skill/s I gained. I've got two weeks left to refine my personal statement, which isn't a lot of time but thanks for the advice :smile: Also, you got into Imperial, which is my dream medical school so congrats!!

I wouldn't worry about repeating yourself at interview. Interview will be a chance to elaborate on the skills/learning mentioned in your PS, and will give you a chance to provide specific examples of situations where you demonstrated these skills (these types of interview questions are quite common). Also at some places (not sure where you're applying) the interviewers won't have seen your PS.

Thanks, can't wait to get started now. In that case, good luck with the BMAT as I've heard Imperial are very strict with their cutoffs (I didn't take it as they use the UKCAT for grad entry).
Original post by NikoB
Barts is risky, I wouldn't apply there.
Leicester cut off was 57 last year I think but some people with 56 got an interview through their PS.
Southampton are rankin by UKCAT solely and I'm not sure what the minimum score will be required.

How about UEA, Aberdeen, st George's, Exeter, Plymouth, Cardiff, bsms.

thank you, do you think the cut off will go up??
thank you, do you think the cut off will go up??

Cut offs usually rise :/
For Bart's and Leicester, the most competitive students will surpass the cut off by a good margin.
Anyone else feeling a bit doom and gloom now all the friends are off to university? Instagram / twitter / facebook are becoming my worst enemy 8)
Original post by ameelia22
Anyone else feeling a bit doom and gloom now all the friends are off to university? Instagram / twitter / facebook are becoming my worst enemy 8)

Feeling very teary ahah, think I'm gonna have to avoid fb/instagram for atleast a month. :frown:

This is why I like working 40 hour weeks as a HCA, takes my mind of the fact about half my friends are partying it up at uni whilst i'm at home.
Guys, would my line manager / employer as a HCA be required to provide a reference?

Short answer: Some places will ask for this. You'd have to contact your choices to find out if it will/might be needed.

Examples:

Spoiler

Feeling worse then that. I dropped off my twin at uni today and happened to bump into someone who I met at interview moing in. I couldn't help feeling that should have been me. Oh well at least when I go next year (hopefully) I won't be broke like my sister :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1752
Do you guys think any more Universities will come onto the resit Universities that allow you to resit for 2015 entry.

I was thinking Leeds since its changing to the BMAT but Im not sure what are your views?
Feeling worse then that. I dropped off my twin at uni today and happened to bump into someone who I met at interview moing in. I couldn't help feeling that should have been me. Oh well at least when I go next year (hopefully) I won't be broke like my sister :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Christ, your twin! Am struggling myself and finding it really hard to muster up the strength to go to work, or do any UKCAT prep :frown:
Reply 1754
Christ, your twin! Am struggling myself and finding it really hard to muster up the strength to go to work, or do any UKCAT prep :frown:

How you coping? :smile:

My KAPLAN course day2 is tommorrow and so far I haven't learnt anything new!
How have you been performing on the medify mocks?

How you finding HCA work? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was on Dundee's wesbite and noticed students in the EU can have their fees paid for by the Scottish government like Scots can but why on earth do people from the rest of UK still have to pay £9000? It seems a bit ridiculous! How can they be allowed to pay for people from entirely different countries but not people from inside the United Kingdom. :confused: Some weird politics going on here. I'm half Scottish, wish I could get Uni for free!
Original post by SusieShire
I was on Dundee's wesbite and noticed students in the EU can have their fees paid for by the Scottish government like Scots can but why on earth do people from the rest of UK still have to pay £9000? It seems a bit ridiculous! How can they be allowed to pay for people from entirely different countries but not people from inside the United Kingdom. :confused: Some weird politics going on here. I'm half Scottish, wish I could get Uni for free!

Thats what I thought, but someone told me it was because the RUK universities charge £9000 to their Scottish applicant so its only fair to do the reverse. Also if the didn't the rest of the uk applicants will apply to scottish universities as fees would be cheaoer leading to a msssive increas in applicants to scotland

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thats what I thought, but someone told me it was because the RUK universities charge £9000 to their Scottish applicant so its only fair to do the reverse. Also if the didn't the rest of the uk applicants will apply to scottish universities as fees would be cheaoer leading to a msssive increas in applicants to scotland

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I guess that makes sense but I do think the uni fees should be the same throughout the UK. The same price everywhere or free everywhere. Even Welsh students get cheaper fees than English! But I suppose this is because Wales and Scotland have devolved governments to fight for them whereas we only have Westminster who don't fight for anyone but themselves :frown:
Hello everyone! Hope your re-applications are going okay!

I'm really unsre of where to apply. I want to apply to Manchester, but I have a 665 UKCAT average but their cut off was 662.5 last year! :/
Hello everyone! Hope your re-applications are going okay!

I'm really unsre of where to apply. I want to apply to Manchester, but I have a 665 UKCAT average but their cut off was 662.5 last year! :/

Don't apply, the cut off will most likely rise by more than 5 if not 10 points

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending