The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by sufiaan saeed
Hi
Anyone here done a lvl3 btec extended diploma in applied science and got into or done biomed at uni
Just wantto know how difficult the course was?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,do u knw any uni in australia which has diploma in biomed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 681
Original post by Joshalos
As I will be going to Brighton for biomedical science in September, I was wondering, to those at or who have now finished university, how did you organise yourselves and your notes? What was your prefered method of note taking and keeping (i.e. did you use notebooks per module, folders and file paper or something else?). I just want to get a rough idea on the best way to organise so I can plan what I will need!

I've just finished my first year at Brighton studying Biomedical Science. Message me :smile:
Hi, can someone please answer my query? So I want to learn about genes and go into cancer research after getting PhD. But is the degree too easy considering it is just molecular biology and not something harder like chemistry or physics? Can something like moecular biology involve stuff to do with quantum chemistry or biophysics (Something I am interested in but I feel research is more productive in biomed sciences). Also, what is the potential of molecular bio in cancer research? Do medical doctors know as much about molecular biology as someone who studies pure molecular biology? Is it a respectable degree? I need some opinions please!
Original post by YB101
I've just finished my first year at Brighton studying Biomedical Science. Message me :smile:

Sent you a PM - it will be nice to hear from someone has been there and done that! :cookie:
Hi
Anybody doing/done biomedical science at university with a lvl 3 btec extended diploma in applied science
Just want to know how difficult you found it
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asfpr3
Hey,do u knw any uni in australia which has diploma in biomed

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi any one doing master of science in Immunohaematology . Please let me know how difficult you have found it .. kind regards
Hey guy, I am shortly due to be started Biomedical Science at Aston University but was wondering, is it more common, for graduated, after their degree to go into Graduate Entry Medicine or a Job in a lab (e.g. an NHS Pathology Lab)?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by DavidYorkshireFTW
Hey guy, I am shortly due to be started Biomedical Science at Aston University but was wondering, is it more common, for graduated, after their degree to go into Graduate Entry Medicine or a Job in a lab (e.g. an NHS Pathology Lab)?
Thank you :smile:

well usually biomeds go in many different directions, the most common thing i've seen is continuing on to do masters.

I personally want to apply to GEM (anyone else applying this year, hit me up!)

A lot of people in my year have now started working as lab assistants.

Some people have gone on to do teaching training.

One girl I know has done a law conversion course and she is doing really well.

So your possibilities are endless if you do well. Im not a fan of working in a lab as the job is mainly laborious now, the machines do most of the job for you. So no thinking is involved.

As you go through the course, you will begin to see the areas that interest you, for me it was my stem cells module.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jaqenH'ghar
well usually biomeds go in many different directions, the most common thing i've seen is continuing on to do masters.

I personally want to apply to GEM (anyone else applying this year, hit me up!)

A lot of people in my year have now started working as lab assistants.

Some people have gone on to do teaching training.

One girl I know has done a law conversion course and she is doing really well.

So your possibilities are endless if you do well. Im not a fan of working in a lab as the job is mainly laborious now, the machines do most of the job for you. So no thinking is involved.

As you go through the course, you will begin to see the areas that interest you, for me it was my stem cells module.

Thank you for the comment :h:
That's really good to hear, that there are so many different routes that I could take!
I like the sound of GEM also to be honest :rolleyes:
Yes, I have heard that, maybe I will get steered in a different direction, who knows :dontknow:
Just out of interest what have you got far in your degree? (First/2.1/2.2...)
Thank you for the comment :h:
That's really good to hear, that there are so many different routes that I could take!
I like the sound of GEM also to be honest :rolleyes:
Yes, I have heard that, maybe I will get steered in a different direction, who knows :dontknow:
Just out of interest what have you got far in your degree? (First/2.1/2.2...)

Funnily i didn't choose to do biomed to get into medicine afterwards, I think it just happened after finishing the course! exactly who knows.

I finished last year and i got a 2:1
Funnily i didn't choose to do biomed to get into medicine afterwards, I think it just happened after finishing the course! exactly who knows.

I finished last year and i got a 2:1

But it is definitely a promising thing to go into :rolleyes:
Ah well done, that's really good! How hard is it to get a First in Biomedical Science just out of interest? :smile:
But it is definitely a promising thing to go into :rolleyes:
Ah well done, that's really good! How hard is it to get a First in Biomedical Science just out of interest? :smile:

thank you, lets hope i get in :redface:

it's not hard at all, tbh I had no experience of studying before going into uni so I struggled with learning how to study at first, I mastered it by second year. Also, I had really bad life circumstances at the time so I think I could have got a 1st if I pushed just a little harder.

I found the degree wayyy easier than A levels again this could be because I had no idea how to study during my A levels.

Btw there was one guy in my year who got into medicine with a 2:2 as he got a really high UKCAT.

So with biomed I think the harder you work the better your chances, but it's never the end of the road:tongue:
thank you, lets hope i get in :redface:

it's not hard at all, tbh I had no experience of studying before going into uni so I struggled with learning how to study at first, I mastered it by second year. Also, I had really bad life circumstances at the time so I think I could have got a 1st if I pushed just a little harder.

I found the degree wayyy easier than A levels again this could be because I had no idea how to study during my A levels.

Btw there was one guy in my year who got into medicine with a 2:2 as he got a really high UKCAT.

So with biomed I think the harder you work the better your chances, but it's never the end of the road:tongue:

Yes, best of luck my friend :smile:
I am literally exactly the same, I found A level fine because I didn't study during GCSE's, whereas people who aced GCSE's struggled with A levels :eek: I hope like you, I properly learn during my degree, I really would like a first, but I suppose everyone wants one, it's just a case of getting one :colondollar: That's unlucky, but I am sure you still have a great chance, what universities are you looking at for GEM? Also, have you done UKCAT?
That's really impressive I must say :eek::rolleyes:
Yes, that is one of the reasons as to why I picked the degree :smile:
Yes, best of luck my friend :smile:
I am literally exactly the same, I found A level fine because I didn't study during GCSE's, whereas people who aced GCSE's struggled with A levels :eek: I hope like you, I properly learn during my degree, I really would like a first, but I suppose everyone wants one, it's just a case of getting one :colondollar: That's unlucky, but I am sure you still have a great chance, what universities are you looking at for GEM? Also, have you done UKCAT?
That's really impressive I must say :eek::rolleyes:
Yes, that is one of the reasons as to why I picked the degree :smile:

Thank you :h: same to you!
you will, it's all about what you make out of it. You can mature greatly in uni and this course is actually very interesting and will help you understand the fundamentals of medicine. Also you will get one if you really want, its really not hard.
yeah Im trying my absolute best to prepare, but im not a typical medicine applicant and by no means competitive! Everything right now depends on my UKCAT, which is in one week's time :afraid:
ive got a blog on my medicine entry process :http://khaleesiofmedicine.blogspot.co.uk/
my university of choice would be newcastle but they look for a really high UKCAT.
You should make the most out of the chance you have, I wish I could have gone to such a prestigious university! :colondollar:
...Although I do hear they manufacture pricks! :mmm:
Thank you :h: same to you!
you will, it's all about what you make out of it. You can mature greatly in uni and this course is actually very interesting and will help you understand the fundamentals of medicine. Also you will get one if you really want, its really not hard.
yeah Im trying my absolute best to prepare, but im not a typical medicine applicant and by no means competitive! Everything right now depends on my UKCAT, which is in one week's time :afraid:
ive got a blog on my medicine entry process :http://khaleesiofmedicine.blogspot.co.uk/
my university of choice would be newcastle but they look for a really high UKCAT.
You should make the most out of the chance you have, I wish I could have gone to such a prestigious university! :colondollar:
...Although I do hear they manufacture pricks! :mmm:

Thanks you :smile:
Yes, I guess everything is what you make of it, yes, I am really interested in Biology, I hope to do really well, and actually really try at something for once instead of being half assed :L
Well seriously, good luck on your UKCAT, you have been extremely helpful, you sound like you deserve a high score!
I will have to check it out :wink:
Newcastle has a very good medical school, good luck, ahahah :biggrin:
What university are you currently at? Do you mean make sure I try and get into a prestigious medical school when it come to it?
Thanks you :smile:
Yes, I guess everything is what you make of it, yes, I am really interested in Biology, I hope to do really well, and actually really try at something for once instead of being half assed :L
Well seriously, good luck on your UKCAT, you have been extremely helpful, you sound like you deserve a high score!
I will have to check it out :wink:
Newcastle has a very good medical school, good luck, ahahah :biggrin:
What university are you currently at? Do you mean make sure I try and get into a prestigious medical school when it come to it?

I think anything you do with interest, you will do well at, so don't worry! exactly you might as well try as well as hard as you can:biggrin:
aww thank you :tongue: ill let you know how I do!
Haha and that! but its certainly more prestigious than where i went. So no worries if people from my uni excelled im sure you will too!
Ill pm you my uni :tongue:
I think anything you do with interest, you will do well at, so don't worry! exactly you might as well try as well as hard as you can:biggrin:
aww thank you :tongue: ill let you know how I do!
Haha and that! but its certainly more prestigious than where i went. So no worries if people from my uni excelled im sure you will too!
Ill pm you my uni :tongue:

Thanks, I'll be interested :smile:
That's good, at least you are consciously making progress :rolleyes:
I would have to agree, things you have an interest in and much easier to learn than those that stimulate monotony :colondollar:
Awesome, cheers! I am going to Aston :cool:
Reply 697
Any biomedical schools that accept medical ps? And which ones interview?
About to start my masters and still feeling stressed about how I'm going to get a job afterwards.
I don't know anything about science jobs.
Reply 699
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
About to start my masters and still feeling stressed about how I'm going to get a job afterwards.
I don't know anything about science jobs.

yeh jobs are tough. But hopefully a masters should help :yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending