The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7700
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
Aw :blushing:. You couldn't have embarrassed me anymore if you tried. I'm glad what I've said helped you.

Thank you!

Oooo sorry :colondollar: Yeah you have as having someone to talk to is always a nice feeling :h: Even better when they're helpful even if they don't realise it :smile:
Reply 7701
haha don't worry I embarrass easily :tongue:. I agree it can be - particularly when it's just quite random. I think sometimes I overwork myself - that could be the reason for my downness (made up word) - I only did like 37 hours this week of revision on top of school - it doesn't feel like much, but maybe it's just stressing me out.

I didn't realise I was helpful :colondollar:

37 hours a week is hell of a lot for me, but we're all different. Perhaps doing less hours than what you usually revise for has made you stressed out cause you feel like you haven't done enough. But doing too much can also lead to stress and burn-outs. Is there no way you could compromise? Or change it around a bit where you revise for significant period of time and then have a break for a while and then do some more? :smile:

You have been, are being and will be helpful :yep:
Reply 7702
I'm used to 38-40, but right now 40 is too much - I'll do that from like October/November. I just feel constant guilt if I don't revise, and only by revising can I stop feeling that guilt. But then if I work too hard I just end up feeling exhausted and stressed anyway. I can't seem to find a balance - I only feel I've worked well enough if I feel absolutely shattered and I know that's not good. I try to have breaks but I just end up skipping them - cause I panic that I won't finish all my work. I am trying to have more breaks though. Am I a difficult person? Yes :colondollar:

Aw thanks. You're very helpful too :h:

I share that same guilt too with coursework and even bits and bobs in personal life. You feel like you're in a lose-lose situation or a damned if you do and damned if you don't. Perhaps if you speak to a teacher or a head of sixth form about how you're feeling and maybe they could find away to maximise you revision efforts without hampering your learning? They might be able to make a revision time-table for you or find easier ways for you to revise :smile: Hahaaa, I wouldn't say difficult, just someone who wants to succeed really badly :h:

Thank you :blush:
Reply 7703
Original post by octoberbaby
<br />
<br />
Oh no! What's wrong? X :hugs:

everything's just falling to **** and I know I'm going to get worse at uni .. and I'm not even sure I care anymore :/ like I feel like self destruct is the best option atm x
Just moved back to uni. Not feeling very happy. I just want to go back home where things are familiar and clean. It's weird that when I'm at home my parents annoy me, but when I'm not with them I really wish I was back home.
Hopefully I'll feel better once I get used to the house and living here. And when lectures start hopefully I'll have more to do, although I only have like three hours worth of lectures a week.

I dunno, I guess I'm just feeling lonely. And scared, since I don't like unfamiliar places and change.
Welcome to the newbies :h:
Does anyone have experience with bipolar? And how it is diagnosed/ medication?
Feeling very blah today. Really missing my mum and sister atm but i have my boyfriend which i guess is good :smile:

Hopefully find out next week if i get my extenuating circs so i can sort uni out if i get it :smile: but still really scared about it all...

Just want to hide away :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sabertooth
I'm getting therapy with a psychologist every couple of weeks, it's slow progress though if progress at all - hockey tomorrow and I'm already thinking of excuses to miss it :colondollar: I dunno, I just feel like I'm not really getting anywhere, I always talk to the psychologist about hockey and volunteering but then I find it too difficult to put what we discussed into practice. I feel like if I was a stronger person I'd do it fine but I'm not. You're right that my wife knew who she was marrying but I feel like maybe she didn't realize how long it would take to fix things. Nor did I though, to be fair to her.

You feeling any better today? :hugs:

You could point out that you don't think it's going anywhere and ask to change tactics? And what in particular do you find hard to put into practice? And you're an incredibly strong person. :yep:

Yeah, not bad. Did some incredibly boring referencing but also played with the mice again and Grace jumped onto my hand five times. :h:

Original post by Hollyperidol
Hello! This looks like my sort of thread. I recently spent a year in a YPU, being discharged at the beginning of August. It's nice to meet you all. c:

Welcome to the society, and congratulations on the discharge! :smile:

Original post by PonchoKid
Good old feelings :tongue:

Hope your dissertations going well :smile:
Hopefully i find out next week if i get to resit mine!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, it's going ok - nearly done!

I really hope you get to resit - you deserve a second chance. :smile:

Original post by tasha96
Sliding downhill fast and don't know what to do about it. :cry2:

:hugs: What's up?

Original post by Nathanielle
One of the days I think I will never get longterm enployment due to my character. :'( (And not that is sadly not just a mental thing. :frown: )

Do you think there's something actually wrong with your character, or just that it doesn't quite fit in with the world?

Original post by Sabertooth
So I reduced the haloperidol by 1/3, I think I'm entering shark-infested waters. A the gym the girl next to me kept laughing at how fat I am or at least that's what I heard so I came home and the walls are taunting me louder than in weeks. Not sure what to do...need to get off this drug but at what cost??

:jumphug: I'd say give it a while at this reduced dose, see if it eases up, and if not go back to the psychiatrist and say what's going on.

Hey everyone :smile:

Erm...well I can't remember but I don't think I've ever posted here before. I kind of just decided to - I've felt down for a long time, don't know whether you'd class it as a depression of any type - I have no idea to be honest, but in any case I know I don't feel quite right. I'm not particularly sure why either, which I guess isn't even helpful at all. I feel like I'm kind of a pointless person in some ways - well lately I feel that way. I am not really interesting, and I don't really have anything good to say ever. I'm quite boring really. I started feeling this way at the end of June, and it got better like 3 weeks ago, but it seems to have just gotten worse, and this time much worse. I just need something to feel good about, or something to make me feel more cheerful.

Hey, welcome to the society, and I'm sure you're not at all pointless or boring. :nah:

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Welcome to the newbies :h:

How holiday? :teeth:
Original post by superwolf

:hugs: What's up?

Just everything going bad. :cry2: Voices are screaming constantly and I can't make them stop. :frown: The usual distractions aren't working. Mood is so low at the same time.
Hope you're okay. :hugs:
Thanks, it's going ok - nearly done!

I really hope you get to resit - you deserve a second chance. :smile:

Well done :smile:

Well i have the right sick note dates now so the should grant me it... Lots to sort out if i get it, such as finding out where my last dissy is, i think my friend has it, also have to enrol and stuff :s-smilie: and find all my work from a box somewhere :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello :smile:. Well I might not be pointless, but I am boring - I don't do very many interesting things, besides astronomy.

I don't do that many different things either - I don't think that makes me boring though. Maybe you're lacking self-confidence a bit?

Original post by tasha96
Just everything going bad. :cry2: Voices are screaming constantly and I can't make them stop. :frown: The usual distractions aren't working. Mood is so low at the same time.
Hope you're okay. :hugs:

:hugs: Did you start that diary thing yet with the voices? I don't know how feasible this is, but maybe it won't be so bad if you acknowledge the voices' presence, so you're not having to work at ignoring them, but try to be less bothered by them - write down what they're saying, concentrate on if it's nonsensical, manipulative or whatever and try and analyse them rather than ignore them altogether. So basically rationalise what they're saying, and don't let them scare you. :jumphug:

Original post by PonchoKid
Well done :smile:

Well i have the right sick note dates now so the should grant me it... Lots to sort out if i get it, such as finding out where my last dissy is, i think my friend has it, also have to enrol and stuff :s-smilie: and find all my work from a box somewhere :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yy: Hope it all goes well then. Make sure you get lots of help when you need it too.
Original post by JennaEmBee
Does anyone have experience with bipolar? And how it is diagnosed/ medication?

Experience: Yes, but not with myself. (By the way Stephen Fry has made a documentary about it.)

What I would say: Can be controllable or not at all, but as it is one of the worse stuff, it has really to be monitored. In severe cases it may be useful to take action to secure belongings and to develop a crisis plan, so that you won't destroy your life and the one of others. That doesn't have to be the case, you may only have troubles with sleep and not everybody experiences mania with is causing just trouble. (I know I may sound a bit drastic, but it is like with physical illnesses, who can be deadly, although normally no problem. So please don't feel too low, but on the other hand, I don't want to neglect the worse way it can take.)

Diagnosis: I could look up the tests, but that won't help you much.

Treatment: Medication and Therapy or just therapy, but most of the times medication is not optional, I think.

Anyway I am not a psychologist, but it is not unknown to me, so I tried to answer.

Do you think there's something actually wrong with your character, or just that it doesn't quite fit in with the world?

I don't quite understand. :colondollar: What difference do you mean? Isn't both the same?
:yy: Hope it all goes well then. Make sure you get lots of help when you need it too.

Iv got my fingers and toes crossed anyway!

Yeah, I think my PT is taking over my placement tutor roll, and I get on with her a lot so she'll help me with all that, and I think I have the same dishy tutor, but I will make sure I got more help this year :yep: although it will be all long arm so emails and phone calls will do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
:hugs: Did you start that diary thing yet with the voices? I don't know how feasible this is, but maybe it won't be so bad if you acknowledge the voices' presence, so you're not having to work at ignoring them, but try to be less bothered by them - write down what they're saying, concentrate on if it's nonsensical, manipulative or whatever and try and analyse them rather than ignore them altogether. So basically rationalise what they're saying, and don't let them scare you. :jumphug:

I have started it and it's actually helping. :smile: But the psychiatrist advised that I dont fill it in at night because the voices hate me doing it. :cry2: And we're trying to minimise the amount I freak out at night. :s-smilie: I think I'll do it anyway though because it cangt get much worse than this. :bawling: /Thans for the suggestion- I hadn't thought of that. :hugs:
I just feel like everyone else does more interesting things than I do. I think my confidence disappeared like - 7 years ago :erm: - I don't even have any.

:hugs: I suspect that's the problem then - people clearly like you, iDukem thinks you're awesome for instance - just something's wrong where you don't realise that.

Original post by Nathanielle
I don't quite understand. :colondollar: What difference do you mean? Isn't both the same?

Well no - I'm perfectly happy being a bit of a misfit, and if anyone tells me that means there's something 'wrong' with me then I'll quite happily tell them to **** off. :h: You don't have to aspire to be normal, what matters is that you're content with being you. :smile:

Original post by tasha96
I have started it and it's actually helping. :smile: But the psychiatrist advised that I dont fill it in at night because the voices hate me doing it. :cry2: And we're trying to minimise the amount I freak out at night. :s-smilie: I think I'll do it anyway though because it cangt get much worse than this. :bawling: /Thans for the suggestion- I hadn't thought of that. :hugs:

Good luck - hope it helps and if not, come back on here! :jumphug:
Superwolf: telling him it's not working and to change tactic seems like a good idea but I'm not sure there's any different tactic to try; I'm kind of doing cbt atm. A lot of what I'm finding difficult to put into practice is..... basically everything :tongue: for instance I'm meant to talk to just one person at my wife's weekly social events but I always wuss out and talk to noone. Or I'm meant to leave the ice when I'm worried about potentially needing to leave...but I wuss out. $) everything seems impossible to do.

And yeah I'm gonna give the haloperidol a few days to see how it goes. We're going to a hockey game in a bit so I guess I'll find out h ow manageable things are there.

It's great to hear Grace went on your hand hopefully you'll be doing awesome tricks with them in no time. And bleurgh I hate doing referencing rather you than me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7718
feeling pretty terrible so figure im just gonna type and see if that can help for meds to work and sleep.

Went to my thing tonight. Was already feeling very bad and not at all up for being an Actual Person, but my friend came round to pick me up and persuaded me that would be a good thing to go. She doesn't really understand how ****ed I am whereas I obviously do though so should not have gone.
was ok at first -everyone was very friendly and had good crumble and lots of wine. felt a bit overwhelmed and teary and there were lots of hugs, general arms rounds shoulders etc which is hard. then people started talking about sex stuff which is sometimes fine but not today. just went in seconds, couldnt even get off the sofa. after about 10 mins friend and someone else half carried me out and was on floor for 40 mins bad flashback. knew it was coming it had been coming all today and some yesterday.
feel so vile and shamey that the whole room of people saw me like that and so so selfish for making people deal with me. got driven home after it was over cos too drained and ashamed and bad to carry on there so that took more of her time.
am home now and have taken my meds but too much wine and feel sick and dizzy as well as all general after fb feels so cant sleep. this is so bad. this is never going to stop and i cant do it. i cant spend all of my life pretending to live for snippets of time but always always just dying. cant do any more fbs its too bad. is not fair of me cos is terrible for me but also for everyone else. ruined peoples night tonight cos they were forced to help me when i shouldnt be having fbs anyway. i knew this was coming for so long i should have grounded properly its so weak to let this be. i cant go through it again but i know i will have to, i really really dont want to. its not ok that everytime i try and act like i can live even more bad stuff happens.
Original post by Sultana
feeling pretty terrible so figure im just gonna type and see if that can help for meds to work and sleep.

Went to my thing tonight. Was already feeling very bad and not at all up for being an Actual Person, but my friend came round to pick me up and persuaded me that would be a good thing to go. She doesn't really understand how ****ed I am whereas I obviously do though so should not have gone.
was ok at first -everyone was very friendly and had good crumble and lots of wine. felt a bit overwhelmed and teary and there were lots of hugs, general arms rounds shoulders etc which is hard. then people started talking about sex stuff which is sometimes fine but not today. just went in seconds, couldnt even get off the sofa. after about 10 mins friend and someone else half carried me out and was on floor for 40 mins bad flashback. knew it was coming it had been coming all today and some yesterday.
feel so vile and shamey that the whole room of people saw me like that and so so selfish for making people deal with me. got driven home after it was over cos too drained and ashamed and bad to carry on there so that took more of her time.
am home now and have taken my meds but too much wine and feel sick and dizzy as well as all general after fb feels so cant sleep. this is so bad. this is never going to stop and i cant do it. i cant spend all of my life pretending to live for snippets of time but always always just dying. cant do any more fbs its too bad. is not fair of me cos is terrible for me but also for everyone else. ruined peoples night tonight cos they were forced to help me when i shouldnt be having fbs anyway. i knew this was coming for so long i should have grounded properly its so weak to let this be. i cant go through it again but i know i will have to, i really really dont want to. its not ok that everytime i try and act like i can live even more bad stuff happens.

:hugs: Sorry you had such a bad time of it - you shouldn't feel guilty for having a flashback in front of people though - it's not your fault, you're not 'guilty' of anything, and you shouldn't have to hide away just because you have an illness. *hackneyed comparison time* If someone had epilepsy and went out, you wouldn't blame them for having a seizure in front of people would you?

Latest