The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6680
fancy this...Mikel has scored more than Torres, Ba and Etoo combined! :awesome:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6681
Original post by mikelewis777
Mate it is Swindon. Even I would look world class against Swindon.

Then Eva would be all impressed and be like ooh take me for dinner, and i'd be like k then

you like football women, do you like hope solo?
Original post by jam277
you like football women, do you like hope solo?

nope but Heather Mitts does tickle my pickle
Original post by UnWise
fancy this...Mikel has scored more than Torres, Ba and Etoo combined! :awesome:

And half as many as Welbeck! :ahee:
Baines is quality. If the board doesn't decide to give him Cole a new contract we get him (or Shaw? If Bertrand doesn't succeed, but he's 24 and he isn't going to prove to be a good player if he doesn't gametime soon)

Mate it is Swindon. Even I would look world class against Swindon.

Then Eva would be all impressed and be like ooh take me for dinner, and i'd be like k then

:cool:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
But tbf, at the same time fulham were trying to hit us on the counter and we need to pressure them high up the pitch and work hard defensively in order to keep the ball well. Worst thing would be us high up the pitch, losing the ball and someone not tracking back especially with mata on the wing in this scenario

I have three problems with Jose's idea concerning Mata as a winger

1) Mata has changed a lot since his Valencia days. He's no longer a winger. His mentality is that of a #10 now. Put him on the wing and he'll still drift to the middle to play the way he likes to play (puppet master of the final 3rd of the pitch). If Mata ends up drifting towards the middle, then he's not providing width (which is one of Chelsea's main problems atm).

If Jose wants to convert Mata back to a winger again and get him to provide width, that's not a great idea. Mata's not as quick as he used to be and is not as fast as the other wingers in your squad. So what use is Mata as winger during counter attacks? And Mata hasn't got the pace to dribble past multiple players when cutting inside like Robben can. So it makes Mata's job harder if he's played as a RW. Even if he plays LW, his lack of pace will still be a problem when it comes to getting past players.

2) It's clear that one of Jose's biggest problem with Mata is his poor defensive ability/not tracking back and getting stuck in. Well, if Mata is such a defensive liability, why not play him in the #10 role where he doesn't have to do too much tracking back and just play someone else on the wing instead? Surely that makes more sense logically than playing Mata on the wing where he'll be more of a defensive liability?

Even worse is that Mata hasn't got the biggest lungs in the world. I don't think he is fit enough to bomb up and down the wings to attack and defend all game. It doesn't make sense that Jose would want someone like Mata, who isn't the fittest player around, to be tracking back to defend all game.

And while Mata can improve defensively in the #10 position, it's hardly the most important position to defend from. And it's not that hard for Jose to coach Mata to do a better job defending from the front, is it? It's not like Mata has to be Baresi-esque when defending from the front, does he?

And anyone remember the Spurs 2-4 Chelsea game last season? Remember when Mata pressed Walker and made him fall over, then went on to set up Sturridge for the 4th goal iirc? How awful from Mata, eh? :rolleyes:

3) Lastly, Mourinho has clearly stated he thinks Oscar is better at #10 than Mata. Now, I'm willing to admit that opinions can be subjective. But when Mata has been your player of the year for two seasons, I think it's fair to say that Jose is talking BS about Oscar being a better #10. Yes, Oscar might be playing well. But it's not about the individual. It's about the team. Mata provides better creativity in the #10 role and in the last two seasons, he has been better at pulling the strings in the final 3rd of the pitch than Oscar.

Jose can keep talking about changing the philosophy of the club blah blah blah. But if he truly is on the same page as most fans about playing attractive but equally effective football, then Mata has to play #10. All Jose has to do is coach him to be better at defending from the front even though he won't be as good as Oscar at doing it. Let the other midfielders and wingers do the major defending.

1) It's either Jose is being a prick deliberately to throw his weight around the dressing room.

2) Or he genuinely thinks Oscar is better than Mata in #10 in the system that he envisions for Chelsea.

3) Or he hates Spain after his time managing Madrid. So he's treating the Spanish players in Chelsea like pieces of ****. Hence why Azpilicueta hasn't got a game yet to try and prove himself (however Ivanovic has generally played well so far).

We should all give Jose a chance to prove himself. But even if Chelsea get good results with Mata not playing as #10, I will still disagree with Jose on this matter. I will always believe that Chelsea can get even better results and performances with Mata as #10.

My 2 (rather long) cents.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6686
nope but Heather Mitts does tickle my pickle

Yeah her and alex morgan are hnng tbf! Why do the USA have hot chicks in their team?
Original post by G0d Cable

Yeah pretty much the same thoughts. No manager in the world would play Oscar ahead of Juan Mata. I mean, 21 goals and 39 assists in all comps last season is arguably world class. Something did happen behind the scenes and hopefully it's behind them. All the rumours as to what actually happened is still just conjecture.

But I have been impressed with Oscar so far in the no.10 role. Glad to hear Juan will get to play against Swindon though - I hope he shows Jose what he's missing out on. We also need him back for set piece taking. And we need Luiz back because of his free kicks and the fact that he's a ****ing psychopath.
Reply 6688
I have three problems with Jose's idea concerning Mata as a winger

1) Mata has changed a lot since his Valencia days. He's no longer a winger. His mentality is that of a #10 now. Put him on the wing and he'll still drift to the middle to play the way he likes to play (puppet master of the final 3rd of the pitch). If Mata ends up drifting towards the middle, then he's not providing width (which is one of Chelsea's main problems atm).

If Jose wants to convert Mata back to a winger again and get him to provide width, that's not a great idea. Mata's not as quick as he used to be and is not as fast as the other wingers in your squad. So what use is Mata as winger during counter attacks? And Mata hasn't got the pace to dribble past multiple players when cutting inside like Robben can. So it makes Mata's job harder if he's played as a RW. Even if he plays LW, his lack of pace will still be a problem when it comes to getting past players.

2) It's clear that one of Jose's biggest problem with Mata is his poor defensive ability/not tracking back and getting stuck in. Well, if Mata is such a defensive liability, why not play him in the #10 role where he doesn't have to do too much tracking back and just play someone else on the wing instead? Surely that makes more sense logically than playing Mata on the wing where he'll be more of a defensive liability?

Even worse is that Mata hasn't got the biggest lungs in the world. I don't think he is fit enough to bomb up and down the wings to attack and defend all game. It doesn't make sense that Jose would want someone like Mata, who isn't the fittest player around, to be tracking back to defend all game.

And while Mata can improve defensively in the #10 position, it's hardly the most important position to defend from. And it's not that hard for Jose to coach Mata to do a better job defending from the front, is it? It's not like Mata has to be Baresi-esque when defending from the front, does he?

And anyone remember the Spurs 2-4 Chelsea game last season? Remember when Mata pressed Walker and made him fall over, then went on to set up Sturridge for the 4th goal iirc? How awful from Mata, eh? :rolleyes:

3) Lastly, Mourinho has clearly stated he thinks Oscar is better at #10 than Mata. Now, I'm willing to admit that opinions can be subjective. But when Mata has been your player of the year for two seasons, I think it's fair to say that Jose is talking BS about Oscar being a better #10. Yes, Oscar might be playing well. But it's not about the individual. It's about the team. Mata provides better creativity in the #10 role and so far, he has been better at pulling the strings in the final 3rd of the pitch than Oscar.

Jose can keep talking about changing the philosophy of the club blah blah blah. But if he truly is on the same page as most fans about playing attractive but equally effective football, then Mata has to play #10. All Jose has to do is coach him to be better at defending from the front even though he won't be as good as Oscar at doing it. Let the other midfielders and wingers do the major defending.

1) It's either Jose is being a prick deliberately to throw his weight around the dressing room.

2) He genuinely thinks Oscar is better than Mata in #10 in the system that he envisions for Chelsea.

3) He hates Spain after his time managing Madrid. So he's treating the Spanish players in Chelsea like pieces of ****. Hence why Azpilicueta hasn't got a game yet to try and prove himself (however Ivanovic has generally played well so far).

We should all give Jose a chance to prove himself. But even if Chelsea get good results with Mata not playing as #10, I will still disagree with Jose on this matter. I will always believe that Chelsea can get even better results and performances with Mata as #10.

Agree generally what you're saying.

Although with oscar, one can argue that he's 22 years old, 3 or 4 years younger than mata, therefore now he has the engine and defensive work rate he can improve his attacking side of the game while it may be harder for mata to do so at the age of 25/26. I was always of the opinion that oscar had great technique and a great engine, but needs to improve on his passing and dribblling as it can be erratic/slightly ineffectual, now as a no.10 he can make up for a lack of either attribute(dribbling or incisive passing) by improving on one of them, most likely his passing attributes will improve.

Although coming to think of it at madrid ozil wasn't really the hardest working player defensively, although I'd say he wasn't a sneijder who you see walking until he gets the ball ozil wasn't really great at tracking back. At inter you can argue that he needed to play that way and use sneijder as a trequartista while cambiasso and motta run around the rest of the match due to the lack of money, although you could say no such excuses for madrid. Who essentially just attacked

Although no.3(he hates spain) I won't agree with. The way in which he's treated torres so far has been rather well tbh. He's played him a lot and he has said that he'll try to help his career, while azpi is in the unfortunate position of having ivanovic who's generally a reliable player playing in his position.

Personally I'd rather it be a system where the players swap positions, although that wouldn't do much for our lack of width, personally I think we bought an AM too many and someone has to suffer for it. Somewhat similar to the situation at bayern and who starts for them in DM. Its just a rather perculiar situation. The thing is in this game while oscar was the no.10 He did go to the wings for a bit and hazard went into the middle.
Original post by Isometrix
Yeah pretty much the same thoughts. No manager in the world would play Oscar ahead of Juan Mata. I mean, 21 goals and 39 assists in all comps last season is arguably world class. Something did happen behind the scenes and hopefully it's behind them. All the rumours as to what actually happened is still just conjecture.

Yeah.

But I have been impressed with Oscar so far in the no.10 role.

As have I. He's one of my favourite players in the world atm.

But I'd like Mata to get a run of games as #10 while Oscar plays CM/DLP. Won't happen though.
Glad to hear Juan will get to play against Swindon though - I hope he shows Jose what he's missing out on. We also need him back for set piece taking.

Agreed. I kept cringing at Oscar's corners. And Mata may have done better with the free kicks.
And we need Luiz back because of his free kicks and the fact that he's a ****ing psychopath.

:lol: That's why we all love Luiz.

:lol: That's why we all love Luiz.

[video="youtube;nW-X-YgPrSY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW-X-YgPrSY[/video]

Outrageous. He had no right to attempt that.
Original post by jam277
Agree generally what you're saying.

Although with oscar, one can argue that he's 22 years old, 3 or 4 years younger than mata, therefore now he has the engine and defensive work rate he can improve his attacking side of the game while it may be harder for mata to do so at the age of 25/26. I was always of the opinion that oscar had great technique and a great engine, but needs to improve on his passing and dribblling as it can be erratic/slightly ineffectual, now as a no.10 he can make up for a lack of either attribute(dribbling or incisive passing) by improving on one of them, most likely his passing attributes will improve.

Although coming to think of it at madrid ozil wasn't really the hardest working player defensively, although I'd say he wasn't a sneijder who you see walking until he gets the ball ozil wasn't really great at tracking back. At inter you can argue that he needed to play that way and use sneijder as a trequartista while cambiasso and motta run around the rest of the match due to the lack of money, although you could say no such excuses for madrid. Who essentially just attacked

Although no.3(he hates spain) I won't agree with. The way in which he's treated torres so far has been rather well tbh. He's played him a lot and he has said that he'll try to help his career, while azpi is in the unfortunate position of having ivanovic who's generally a reliable player playing in his position.

Personally I'd rather it be a system where the players swap positions, although that wouldn't do much for our lack of width, personally I think we bought an AM too many and someone has to suffer for it. Somewhat similar to the situation at bayern and who starts for them in DM. Its just a rather perculiar situation. The thing is in this game while oscar was the no.10 He did go to the wings for a bit and hazard went into the middle.

Looking back on my post, I think I was harsh on Jose. You're right about Oscar having the potential to be much better than he currently is and that Jose hating the Spanish players is BS.

Yeah, I noticed Schurrle on the left, Hazard in the centre and Oscar on the right sometimes. So I guess Jose's not lying about Mata having a place in the team as Mata can always interchange with Oscar to play in the middle anyway. It's just that Mata has to improve defensively.

Anyway, we can all agree that Oscar has played well in the #10 role so far. And it's not as if playing Maya as #10 will solve all of Chelsea's problems. Chelsea still need some threat from wide areas (which they did to some extent against Fulham) and more people making runs off the ball to distort the opposition's defence and create space in the middle.

So yeah, we should all back Mourinho, be patient and keep the faith. Very good interview from him today btw.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Isometrix
[video="youtube;nW-X-YgPrSY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW-X-YgPrSY[/video]

Outrageous. He had no right to attempt that.

I know. Couldn't believe my eyes when he scored it. What a goal.

That's why he's so important to Chelsea. He's so nuts that he can do amazing stuff with the ball that normal footballers wouldn't try.

Remember his penalties as well? Complete bonkers. But I love it.
Reply 6693
Looking back on my post, I think I was harsh on Jose. You're right about Oscar having the potential to be much better than he currently is and that Jose hating the Spanish players is BS.

Yeah, I noticed Schurrle on the left, Hazard in the centre and Oscar on the right sometimes. So I guess Jose's not lying about Mata having a place in the team as Mata can always interchange with Oscar to play in the middle anyway. It's just that Mata has to improve defensively.

Anyway, we can all agree that Oscar has played well in the #10 role so far. And it's not as if playing Maya as #10 will solve all of Chelsea's problems. Chelsea still need some threat from wide areas (which they did to some extent against Fulham) and more people making runs off the ball to distort the opposition's defence and create space in the middle.

So yeah, we should all back Mourinho, be patient and keep the faith. Very good interview from him today btw.

I get you here.

One thing that's rather intriguing was when he said that he doesn't like the way the club has been playing the past few years. That article on the independent I posted(don't know how reputable it is but I've heard a lot of the quotes in other sources) was pretty interesting, he didn't criticize rafa and said he did well, but he criticized some of the decisions and the way in which we played football since ancelotti left. He said that the board were not happy with the way we played our football. But all agreed that this was the right way to do it after a meeting.
“The situation is pure,” Mourinho said. “I don’t like the way Chelsea were playing in the last couple of years. The club doesn’t like it. We want to change. We have the players with the profile to change. We want to play a different style.”

Now the article then goes to say
With Mourinho there will always be a cunning plan unfolding in the background but there is no doubt he is being more open. He conceded that there will be occasions when he will have to park the proverbial bus. “I went to Barcelona with Inter and, for 60 minutes, we played with 10 men,” he said. “If we needed to be there longer, we’d have played for another 60 minutes. But I don’t want my team to play like that.”
I'm probably reading a lot into this, but obviously this means that we're going to be playing a positive style of football, but it seems like it's different to the way in which we play now. So does that mean we play a full on possession game? where the likes of oscar press the opposition and give them no space to play out like barcelona? We know that RA loves the possession game and also I remember jose saying he likes the possession game too(but with a goal) when he was talking about spain playing 4-6-0 against italy. Or do we play on the counter attack, the way in which bayern did under heynckes and totally dominate the opposition from start to finish while switching the lights on and off with maximum german-like efficiency?

He said that the problems last season were oscar out wide chasing fullbacks and luiz longballing it to torres in midfield(who ended up isolated for the most part due to this) so I guess that's fair enough as I don't want us to be playing that football either, the europa league final was pretty testament to that and we were dominated for 90mins and I can think of at least 3/4 other occasions against the big teams where we ended up like that(united, arsenal home and away, liverpool at anfield). A problem with our play was that it was rather slow, so we struggled to break down narrow teams(see swansea bus parking in the league cup e.g.). but we also then go to buy more playmakers, then buy a striker(like rooney) who works the channels and is able to run at defenders with their physique.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Yeah her and alex morgan are hnng tbf! Why do the USA have hot chicks in their team?

Mass migration to the land of opportunity, coupled with the hypersexualisation of the media, and the acceptance of sex out of marriage has turned the States into a breeding ground for mixed raced beauties (especially those with dat dere Italian ancestry)

That said, Irina Shayk is the hottest woman in the world.

well this might just be my most constructive post so far :rolleyes:
Seems like we enjoy giving out our better strikers. Lukaku was beastly for Everton
When Eto'o and possibly Torres leaves this summer, we should consider buying back Sturridge if he scores 15-20+ league goals. He's quick and hungry to score goals. Would cost us 30 million (if he's successful) and if Liverpool don't get Champions League Football and we do, Mourinho could convince him to come back.

Either that or we sign Lewandowski who would cost us nothing (hopefully he doesn't want to go to Bayern)
Reply 6696
Mass migration to the land of opportunity, coupled with the hypersexualisation of the media, and the acceptance of sex out of marriage has turned the States into a breeding ground for mixed raced beauties (especially those with dat dere Italian ancestry)

That said, Irina Shayk is the hottest woman in the world.

well this might just be my most constructive post so far :rolleyes:

she reminds me of angelina jolie in her prime fam. The italians :sogood:
You're actually spot on here though. Mixed girls= :dice: damn I need to go to america man.
Reply 6697
Original post by 9MmBulletz
Seems like we enjoy giving out our better strikers. Lukaku was beastly for Everton
When Eto'o and possibly Torres leaves this summer, we should consider buying back Sturridge if he scores 15-20+ league goals. He's quick and hungry to score goals. Would cost us 30 million (if he's successful) and if Liverpool don't get Champions League Football and we do, Mourinho could convince him to come back.

Either that or we sign Lewandowski who would cost us nothing (hopefully he doesn't want to go to Bayern)

Tbh I think we should buy back sturridge if we sell those two :rolleyes: make a profit on a player then buy him for 3 times the price 18 months later. Only at chelsea :rolleyes: I'd put in a 20-25m bid and that's it otherwise we'll look even more like mugs. Annoying thing about this is looking at our system somebody like sturridge would do well for us.

Hopefully we can get lewandowski though :moon:
Original post by jam277
Tbh I think we should buy back sturridge if we sell those two :rolleyes: make a profit on a player then buy him for 3 times the price 18 months later. Only at chelsea :rolleyes: I'd put in a 20-25m bid and that's it otherwise we'll look even more like mugs. Annoying thing about this is looking at our system somebody like sturridge would do well for us.

Chelsea be like 'who is this amazing Liverpool striker, lets buy him, £50 million!'

oh wait...
Reply 6699
Original post by jam277

I thought that he had already said that he was moving to Bayern, he was just waiting until his contract runs out.

Latest