The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Funtry
Just got into Imperial for Chemistry, and recieved all 5 of my offers (they're in my description) so if you have any questions, ask!

Well done on your place.

What was the interview like? I've heard that you get grilled by like 3 academics at once?? :s-smilie:

What did you get at the end of A level if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 101
Original post by Coral Reafs
Well done on your place.

What was the interview like? I've heard that you get grilled by like 3 academics at once?? :s-smilie:

What did you get at the end of A level if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you :smile: It was 2, one lecturer and one PostDoc (so researcher that is on a fixed term contract but doesn't lecture), and despite being the most formal of my 3 interviews, it was the one I felt most relaxed at. Then again I've heard the complete opposite from some people. They were both really friendly, and actually asked me about something different, not just to answer a general question which was nice (I had to structure my own question in a way and then also I had to come up with my own ideas).

I was predicted A*AA (although it should have been AAA, it was an error in my opinion), but got A*A*A* somehow! In Chemistry, Maths and Physics.
Original post by Funtry
Thank you :smile: It was 2, one lecturer and one PostDoc (so researcher that is on a fixed term contract but doesn't lecture), and despite being the most formal of my 3 interviews, it was the one I felt most relaxed at. Then again I've heard the complete opposite from some people. They were both really friendly, and actually asked me about something different, not just to answer a general question which was nice (I had to structure my own question in a way and then also I had to come up with my own ideas).

I was predicted A*AA (although it should have been AAA, it was an error in my opinion), but got A*A*A* somehow! In Chemistry, Maths and Physics.

Hi, sorry if you have already answered this, but what grades did you get at AS?

I got ABBB at AS, and I am just a bit nervous about my predictions.

Reply 103
Original post by freshypot♥
Hi, sorry if you have already answered this, but what grades did you get at AS?

I got ABBB at AS, and I am just a bit nervous about my predictions.

The exact same, with the A being low (I think 4 UMS over the boundaries?!) in Maths, and the B's being mid-low,
Original post by Funtry
The exact same, with the A being low (I think 4 UMS over the boundaries?!) in Maths, and the B's being mid-low,

Wow, then you got 3A* as A2 :eek:

That fills me with hope now! My A is also in maths, then Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths are my Bs.

Chemistry and Physics were borderline As, but Further was a mid B.

Thanks again!
Reply 105
Original post by freshypot♥
Wow, then you got 3A* as A2 :eek:

That fills me with hope now! My A is also in maths, then Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths are my Bs.

Chemistry and Physics were borderline As, but Further was a mid B.

Thanks again!

Aha yeah, I just worked much harder this year, and although I did resits in Chemistry and Physics (both exams for both :frown: ) I don't think they helped me get an A*? (I'd have to work it out, it would have been much closer, but from the UMS I got I think it was less than the difference between my UMS and the A boundary, 480, that I gained through resits).

Really, genuinely put your head down this year, and you should do fine.
Original post by Funtry
Aha yeah, I just worked much harder this year, and although I did resits in Chemistry and Physics (both exams for both :frown: ) I don't think they helped me get an A*? (I'd have to work it out, it would have been much closer, but from the UMS I got I think it was less than the difference between my UMS and the A boundary, 480, that I gained through resits).

Really, genuinely put your head down this year, and you should do fine.

Oh okay. I'm trying to avoid resits as much as possible, I don't want to heap on any extra pressure for June! I'm not resitting any chemistry or physics modules, just my chemistry AS coursework.

That way I can focus on just doing well on the A2 papers. Ha ha definitely, 'head down, and stay focused' is basically my mantra this year!

Thanks a lot, and good luck at Imperial with your degree! :biggrin:
Mature student (left school in 2003) applied for Chemistry at Glasgow and Strathclyde.
Hello all :wavey:

Can fairly confidently say now where I'm applying, as I've been to all my open days now: Durham, UCL, York, Bath, Nottingham. All for Chemistry with a year abroad. :smile:
Original post by ethery
Hello all :wavey:

Can fairly confidently say now where I'm applying, as I've been to all my open days now: Durham, UCL, York, Bath, Nottingham. All for Chemistry with a year abroad. :smile:

I'm applying to all the same apart from UCL. Didn't get a chance to go to Bath; what was it like?
Original post by andyt8765
I'm applying to all the same apart from UCL. Didn't get a chance to go to Bath; what was it like?

Ooh, what's your other choice?

Bath was nice, but it's probably my least favourite out of the five. I love the city and the course, but there were a couple of things that I didn't love so much. But I know I'd still be happy there if that's where I ended up. :smile:
Original post by ethery
Ooh, what's your other choice?

Bath was nice, but it's probably my least favourite out of the five. I love the city and the course, but there were a couple of things that I didn't love so much. But I know I'd still be happy there if that's where I ended up. :smile:

Warwick! :biggrin:

Sounds good. Bath is also my '5th' choice. I'll be applying for the year industry rather than the year abroad though. :smile:
Warwick! :biggrin:

Sounds good. Bath is also my '5th' choice. I'll be applying for the year industry rather than the year abroad though. :smile:

Ah, I visited Warwick! Quite liked it there too, just not for me.

That's probably the sensible option. :tongue:
Original post by ethery
Ah, I visited Warwick! Quite liked it there too, just not for me.

That's probably the sensible option. :tongue:

While I loved the idea of studying abroad, I probably wouldn't be able to cover all the costs :mad:
Hey guys,

I got BBBC at AS, and got predicted ABB, but hopefully these predicted grades would go up to AAA/AAB .. do you think I have a chance of doing chem at york, warwick ..?? =/
Original post by lingorawww
Hey guys,

I got BBBC at AS, and got predicted ABB, but hopefully these predicted grades would go up to AAA/AAB .. do you think I have a chance of doing chem at york, warwick ..?? =/

Well, Warwick's entry requirements are ABB, so you definitely stand a chance there. York's are something like AAB if you have another science as well as chemistry to A2 and AAA otherwise (not sure on the specifics but it's along those lines), so a bit tougher, but still worth a shot!

Where else are you thinking of applying? :smile:
Reply 116
Hello everyone :hello:
I am applying for Chemistry at Oxford, Imperial, Nottingham and I am not certain on the other choices yet :smile:
Currently finishing up my personal statement, having left it til the start of September!
Original post by Gotzz
Hello everyone :hello:
I am applying for Chemistry at Oxford, Imperial, Nottingham and I am not certain on the other choices yet :smile:
Currently finishing up my personal statement, having left it til the start of September!

Well you haven't got long if you're applying to Oxford! :wink:

Any ideas for your 4th and 5th choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 118
Well you haven't got long if you're applying to Oxford! :wink:

Any ideas for your 4th and 5th choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, I know, but I'm nearly done and I'm very happy with it :smile:
Umm UCL/Surrey/KCL. I'm not worrying about them too much yet as I don't have to put all my choices down at the same time.
Original post by ethery
Well, Warwick's entry requirements are ABB, so you definitely stand a chance there. York's are something like AAB if you have another science as well as chemistry to A2 and AAA otherwise (not sure on the specifics but it's along those lines), so a bit tougher, but still worth a shot!

Where else are you thinking of applying? :smile:

Well, I'm considering Sheffield, warwick, nottingham, edinburgh and Idk about my 5th choice =/ I'm opting for the option with industrial experience .. fingers crossed :smile: .. wbu?

Quick Reply