The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography 2013/14

Anyone doing AQA A2 Geography?

Thought I'd create a thread so we can talk about the specification content & exam stuff!

My three topics are plate tectonics, ecosytems and world cities :smile:

(I know this is super-early!!)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ellie_d

Thought I'd create a thread so we can talk about the specification content & exam stuff!

I am! Resitting AS too though, I got a C and unfortunately I need better. I'm doing Cities, Climate, Plate Tectonics and Geographical Conflicts. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by LauraDaniel
I am! Resitting AS too though, I got a C and unfortunately I need better. I'm doing Cities, Climate, Plate Tectonics and Geographical Conflicts. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the exams were really hard! I was only person who got an A and everyone in my class got D's & E's?!

I'm trying to persuade my teacher to do conflicts, it looks so interesting!

4 topics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
you only have to do 3 topics. schools that do 4 aren't helping students, even though they think they are.

I used to teach A2 and still have lots of dealings with 4A. If anyone needs any help let me know.
Reply 4
Original post by clareramos
you only have to do 3 topics. schools that do 4 aren't helping students, even though they think they are.

I used to teach A2 and still have lots of dealings with 4A. If anyone needs any help let me know.

Ah okay thank you!
Original post by ellie_d

I'm doing tectonics, development and globalisation and world cities. I'm doing A2 over two years though so I've already learnt half of the content
Original post by ellie_d

Yep doing a2 goegraphy :biggrin:
I am happy because it seems as though most people are doing the same topics as me for A2 this year.. compared to last year where only a few TSR students were doing Health issues + deserts!

I'm doing:
- World cities
- Development and globalisation
- ecosystems
- plate tectonics

+ 4A :smile:

I'm currently doing HW about the green revolution for D & G! :rolleyes:
Original post by CurtisDean
I am happy because it seems as though most people are doing the same topics as me for A2 this year.. compared to last year where only a few TSR students were doing Health issues + deserts!

I'm doing:
- World cities
- Development and globalisation
- ecosystems
- plate tectonics

+ 4A :smile:

I'm currently doing HW about the green revolution for D & G! :rolleyes:

Why is everyone doing four topics and I'm only doing three?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lauraaaaa
Why is everyone doing four topics and I'm only doing three?

Posted from TSR Mobile

caus some schools think they're helping students by giving them more work than they need to do. You only have to do 3 and is all you should actually be able to do properly.
Original post by clareramos
caus some schools think they're helping students by giving them more work than they need to do. You only have to do 3 and is all you should actually be able to do properly.

Fair enough :smile: I need my A so don't need any more work than is necessary!
Reply 11
Original post by lauraaaaa
Fair enough :smile: I need my A so don't need any more work than is necessary!

Agreed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Blueray2
Yep doing a2 goegraphy :biggrin:

Welcome :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will it be harder to get an A* doing 4?!
I'm also doing 4 A2s! Oh my gosh! :frown:
Reply 14

Do you mean 4 Subjects? It does not matter that you are doing 4A2's. I was also doing 4A2's and everyone was telling me drop one, but I said no.

I achieved A*AAB in geography, Chemistry, Biology and Physics,
Reply 15
Hi!
Im doing plate tectonics,Ecosystems,world cities and Conflict! :smile:

Im struggling to answer the questions as they are so long now D: , especially the 10 markers..Haven't attempted 40 mark essay yet :eek:

Why are you doing 4 if unis say they only want top 3.
Reply 17
Original post by Blueray2
Why are you doing 4 if unis say they only want top 3.

Did you find that answer useful which, I sent you. :smile:
Original post by sport999
Did you find that answer useful which, I sent you. :smile:

I'll Pm you. :smile:
Reply 19
I'm now a second year doing Geography at Oxford, if anyone has questions about geography A level, or about applying for geography at uni, feel free to quote me or send me a message :smile:

As January exams have now ceased, A2 geography is now significantly harder and in my opinion prejudices those taking Unit 4B. The combination of Units 3 and 4B in the summer is particularly difficult because the pre-release for 4B is only released in late April, whereas centres can prepare for 4A throughout the year. If taking 4B, my top tip is to finish your notes for Unit 3 by the time the pre-release comes out, so you can concentrate on the new content of 4B while only needing to do the revision for 3.

4B is incredibly helpful for those wanting to do a geography degree (way more so than 4A). It teaches you academic research skills and the ability to evaluate, synthesise large amounts of information and come to reasoned conclusions. It is a shame that many centres will inevitably drop 4B in favour of 4A, essentially a slightly more advanced version of Unit 2. I personally found 4B to be one of the most stimulating aspects of the A level and it really helped my transition to university.

Good luck to everyone sitting A2 this year :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending