The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexKay99
OK, thank you for your reply, I have already done a similar qualification so it wont be as if I'm starting from 'scratch' although I heard it is hard. Can you tell me if there are any compulsory subjects I have to take at IB?

Honestly, I am seriously discouraging you from self teaching IB. It doesn't matter how similar it is. You clearly don't know very much about it at all. You couldn't self teach TOK and I don't know how you'd get your Extended Essay supervised. Just because it sounds interesting and different does NOT mean you should do it, if the facilities are not available for you to.
Original post by Calllu-m
Honestly, I am seriously discouraging you from self teaching IB. It doesn't matter how similar it is. You clearly don't know very much about it at all. You couldn't self teach TOK and I don't know how you'd get your Extended Essay supervised. Just because it sounds interesting and different does NOT mean you should do it, if the facilities are not available for you to.

Oh, ok, sounds like a lot of work. What if I take the A levels instead? I'm on my gap year and I really need another qualification to improve my grades to get into Oxbridge. This year was sort of a blur and I didn't do as well as I hoped although I'm appealing my grades. I know Oxbridge policy on resits so I will not be resitting the same qualification as it will affect my chances of gaining an offer. I really want to show them that I can get all A's in one sitting :smile:
Reply 1202
AquisM has given a very complete answer - I would add IB rules very strict it takes two years and a set number of teaching hours. For Oxbridge
they will ask around 40-42 points so unless your A levels were as strong as this (like at least one or two A*) IB is not an option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AlexKay99
Oh, ok, sounds like a lot of work. What if I take the A levels instead? I'm on my gap year and I really need another qualification to improve my grades to get into Oxbridge. This year was sort of a blur and I didn't do as well as I hoped although I'm appealing my grades. I know Oxbridge policy on resits so I will not be resitting the same qualification as it will affect my chances of gaining an offer. I really want to show them that I can get all A's in one sitting :smile:

IB could NOT be done over a year and could not be "just another qualification". I know people who did the IB and did 1 A level in addition. You could possibly do 3 A levels in a year. Possibly. But not 6 IB subjects.
Original post by Calllu-m
IB could NOT be done over a year and could not be "just another qualification". I know people who did the IB and did 1 A level in addition. You could possibly do 3 A levels in a year. Possibly. But not 6 IB subjects.

Ok, thank you for your help! :smile:
Reply 1205
Hey guys my option choices are coming up and I wanted some advice on what to choose for medicine

HL
Bio
Chem

SL
English A
Japanese ab initio
Maths

For the 3rd HL, I'm really interested in History (which I didn't do at iGCSE). Would the workload drag the rest of my grades down and is it really suicide given my other subjects? I realize it'll be difficult because I need 776 at HL to get in, would it substantially easier to just do Geography HL? (Probably A* at iGCSE)
Reply 1206
Original post by CYsuxx
Hey guys my option choices are coming up and I wanted some advice on what to choose for medicine

HL
Bio
Chem

SL
English A
Japanese ab initio
Maths

For the 3rd HL, I'm really interested in History (which I didn't do at iGCSE). Would the workload drag the rest of my grades down and is it really suicide given my other subjects? I realize it'll be difficult because I need 776 at HL to get in, would it substantially easier to just do Geography HL? (Probably A* at iGCSE)

I picked History as my HL, and it's pretty interesting as a subject. I'm managing a grade 6 as my predicted as of now. It is a lot of work, but if you have a good teacher and/or pay proper attention in class, you should be able to do it.

It's also not extremely important to take both, Bio and Chem, at HL level. Medicine would require a higher understanding of Chemistry as compared to Bio, and I think, if you want, you can afford to take Bio at an SL. Some of my friends who want to get into medicine have done that.
Original post by CYsuxx

HL
Bio
Chem

SL
English A
Japanese ab initio
Maths

Isis history go abd got a 7 despite not spongy the gcse, althouhlgh I was not so good at science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys,
I'm currently doing I.G.C.S.E's in India. I will finish it next November. I am probably going to take IB D.P after I finish. I want to study engineering in uni and was wondering what subject choices I should take. Are there any required subjects for SL/HL? What subject combination would be easy to do.

At the moment, I score A* in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and ICT. Missed it by a few points in English (got an A).

Would really appreciate some help!!!
Original post by Nishanth Kumar
Hey guys,
I'm currently doing I.G.C.S.E's in India. I will finish it next November. I am probably going to take IB D.P after I finish. I want to study engineering in uni and was wondering what subject choices I should take. Are there any required subjects for SL/HL? What subject combination would be easy to do.

At the moment, I score A* in Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and ICT. Missed it by a few points in English (got an A).

Would really appreciate some help!!!

For engineering, you probably want HL Maths and Physics. Other than that, it is pretty much your choice - Chemistry may be useful and more so at HL but is far from critical, and the rest of your subjects should be those you enjoy and think you can get good grades in.
hey i am from cbse board with cgpa 10/10 in my 10 grade and my predicted marks are 95% overall with 95% in maths 96% in economics 96% in business studies and 94% in english i am thinking of applying to oxford, lse, ucl, edinburgh and warwick for economics what are my chances of getting in and my ps is gd backed by gd reference too and also do oxford interview indians via skype or phone since i might nt be able to attend an interview at uk. hlp will b appreciated :smile:
Original post by acidwiredheart
hey i am from cbse board with cgpa 10/10 in my 10 grade and my predicted marks are 95% overall with 95% in maths 96% in economics 96% in business studies and 94% in english i am thinking of applying to oxford, lse, ucl, edinburgh and warwick for economics what are my chances of getting in and my ps is gd backed by gd reference too and also do oxford interview indians via skype or phone since i might nt be able to attend an interview at uk. hlp will b appreciated :smile:

For Economics, the minimum requirement is A*AA and LSE and UCL ask for a 95% predicted overall in the CBSE and Oxford asks for 90+% predicted in each of your 5 individual subjects. So you meet the minimum requirements. This information is available on their website, so please check those out thoroughly in the future, most of your questions will generally be addressed there. :smile:

Yes, Oxford does phone and Skype interviews, so you have nothing to worry about.
Original post by arrowhead
For Economics, the minimum requirement is A*AA and LSE and UCL ask for a 95% predicted overall in the CBSE and Oxford asks for 90+% predicted in each of your 5 individual subjects. So you meet the minimum requirements. This information is available on their website, so please check those out thoroughly in the future, most of your questions will generally be addressed there. :smile:

Yes, Oxford does phone and Skype interviews, so you have nothing to worry about.

thx a lot and yes i did read the minimum requirements its jst tht i m a lil worried about the competition u knw :smile: thx agn
Reply 1213
Hi :smile: I was wondering, If I want to go to law school after my undergrad, is it necessary to do history because it prepares you with a lot of writing and essays? I want to major in economics for my 4 years before law school. So I'll have to take economics HL right? I'm also taking english HL. I'm unsure whether history or psychology HL will help me more for law. I don't think my school will let me drop a science to take all 3 which I think seem equally important for law. Given that everyone says history is vital and psychology has a lot to do with thinking about the way peoples minds work. What do I do? Thanks:smile:
Reply 1214
Hi everyone,
Would doing Spanish HL instead of French HL put me at a disadvantage of pursuing International Relations in the future? I am Venezuelan, so my Spanish is perfect, so I would achieve a 7. But French is really difficult for me at the moment. Would it be better if I did Spanish HL or Psychology HL and French SL?
Original post by N Kay
Hi everyone,
Would doing Spanish HL instead of French HL put me at a disadvantage of pursuing International Relations in the future? I am Venezuelan, so my Spanish is perfect, so I would achieve a 7. But French is really difficult for me at the moment. Would it be better if I did Spanish HL or Psychology HL and French SL?

I don't think it really matters which language you do for international relations, French and Spanish both seem like good options :smile:
Reply 1216
Original post by N Kay
Hi everyone,

I believe it would, as many unis look down upon native speakers doing courses meant for foreign language students. Most unis have a policy of not considering A Levels in the applicant's mother tongue, and given that B HL is commonly considered to be equivalent to A Level, some unis might not count Hl Spanish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1217
Thanks so much guys!
Hi guys,
I want to pursue the sciences at uni. Is it absolutely necessary to take two sciences? I do Film instead of a second science, and am now wondering if I should drop it :/
My other subjects are Physics HL, Further Math HL, Literature HL, Spanish ab SL and a humanity SL (undecided).
What humanity would you suggest I take?
Reply 1219
You don't say which sciences you want to study but certainly for biology you would need two sciences and I suspect the same for physics. However for many courses maths counts as a science. But I think film studies looks a bit weak... Suggest you look at one or two university courses and see what they specify.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest