The Student Room Group

"Second" class Universities

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Sir Fox
Should've had a quick look at the website, there is a section for most countries with all information on the grades:

http://www.dundee.ac.uk/admissions/international/your_home_country/greece.htm

Yes,but I'm not sure what Pathway and option stream is,that's why i send an email to dundee in order to distiguinsh the clear entry requirments xD
Reply 41
Original post by eleanna
Hi!

I am a student from Greece, I finished highschool this year, and I'm starting my course in September. Since I went recently through all the university stuff, I have a little experience on the topic. Edinburgh and Glasgow don't accept the greek apolytirion on its own merit.Unless you also take the panhellenic exams. But they usually ask for additional A levels. Are you taking any A levels? Or doing the IB programme?

Stirling was one of my 5 university choices. I applied there but I withdrawn my application before I get an answer from them, because I decided I wanted to be in England. Dundee, Heriot Watt and Aberdeen are also very good ones.

Happy to hear that eleana :smile: No i'm not gonna take A levels or lb..so what will you study and where? if you don't mind (I'm looking for universities that don;t want panhellnic exams only apolytirion..because i find that process so stressful and extremely difficult :/ )
Reply 42
Original post by GermanScientist
If you're wanting to stay in Glasgow:

University of Glasgow is well-known for their infection biology courses- Immunology, Microbiology, Parasitology and Virology. Glasgow has three world-class research centres specifically for these areas. If you're wanting to do biomedical science with an aim to working in the NHS it'd be easier for you to do an accredited course (I'm not sure if Strathclyde's is) but Caledonian is I believe.

In general Strathclyde is known for it's business department, engineering, maths, chemistry and physics (along with pharmacy). Glasgow is stronger in the biological sciences, earth sciences, psychology and the arts/humanities inc. Law.

Yep :smile: As fas as i understood strathclyde is known for buisness,economics etc. and not for biomedical courses
You mentioned about caledonian right? Is that a good uni.? I hear about that,for first time
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by georgexD
Hi guys :smile: I'm from Greece and I will be entering last year of senior high school this year. I want to study abroad and specifically in Scotland. I've done my research about the universities in Scotland and I've realised that most of the people are vilifying unis like Stirling,Heriot watt,Edinburgh Napier. Why are the doing that? Is there any reason? Personally I want to study Biology.I want to hear your opinions on that unis or other suggestions. All opinions are welcome :smile:

It's nothing personal but I do want to let you know that many people are extremely irritated about the surge in interest of EU nationals in studying in Scotland.

Many people are unhappy at having to bankroll education for immigrants which they would have to pay for themselves.

Nothing personal. But it's only fair to let you know before you arrive.
Reply 44
Y
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ
It's nothing personal but I do want to let you know that many people are extremely irritated about the surge in interest of EU nationals in studying in Scotland.

Many people are unhappy at having to bankroll education for immigrants which they would have to pay for themselves.

Nothing personal. But it's only fair to let you know before you arrive.

I guess it is as you say so. This is one of the many difficulties that someone is facing when is moving to another country
Yep :smile: As fas as i understood strathclyde is known for buisness,economics etc. and not for biomedical courses
You mentioned about caledonian right? Is that a good uni.? I hear about that,for first time

It's an ex-polytechnic university and so people regard it less since it's not traditional (I'm not saying this is my view). It's good for allied health courses such as biomedical courses for employment in the NHS, radiography, nursing, dietetics etc. If you're looking for pure theory/lab without application in a health system I'd aim for Glasgow.
Reply 46
Happy to hear that eleana :smile: No i'm not gonna take A levels or lb..so what will you study and where? if you don't mind (I'm looking for universities that don;t want panhellnic exams only apolytirion..because i find that process so stressful and extremely difficult :/ )

Yes, I agree with you! I didnt take the panhellenic exams either! I will study criminology and sociology at University of Surrey, they accepted my apolytrion with a grade of 19.1 . They also asked for the IELTS exams, but those were pretty easy. So don't panic if you are asked to take the IELTS! If you would like any further information don't hesitate to sent me a private message (even in Greek, since all this stuff can be better explained in our mother tongue). :wink:
Original post by WeeGuy
Strathclyde is known for business/mathematics. though doing any degree there is good. Strathclyde is a good uni.

And Engineering, but yes I agree a good university.
Reply 48
Original post by OMGWTFBBQ

And many English people are pretty pissed off having to pay for Scottish free education why they have to fork out the usual 9k to study at Scottish universities.

And every Scot could go to any country in the European Union and pay the same fees this country's citizens pay. In case of Germany, Italy, France and many others that means it's virtually for free.
Reply 49
And by the way, I'm a EU student and have never experienced any sort of negative attitude towards me for not being British. Never.
Reply 50
Guys i think that i'll put stirling as my top preference...! Have you heard anything about the biology course there or the english(my friend wants to study english) :smile:
Original post by Sir Fox
And many English people are pretty pissed off having to pay for Scottish free education why they have to fork out the usual 9k to study at Scottish universities.

And every Scot could go to any country in the European Union and pay the same fees this country's citizens pay. In case of Germany, Italy, France and many others that means it's virtually for free.

Scotland contributes to around 12% of the UK's GDP and in returns receives around 8% back from westminster.....I dont study maths at uni but by my calculations that means Scotland funds part of the english education,health etc system :wink:
Reply 52
Original post by rotterdamhibs
Scotland contributes to around 12% of the UK's GDP and in returns receives around 8% back from westminster.....I dont study maths at uni but by my calculations that means Scotland funds part of the english education,health etc system :wink:

What kind of comparison is that? How does it receive the 8% back, in public spending? Contributing to GDP is something entirely different, it's its overall share of the whole economy. You are comparing two totally different indicators :wink:

However you are generally right, Scotland generates 9.9% (£56.9bn) of the UK's tax revenues and receives 9.3% (£64.5bn) back in public spending. That's because the UK is still a unified state at the moment and the treasurer looks at the overall budget and how to spend it, if one region generates a surplus this is used to subsidise other regions or to reduce the budget deficit or whatever. Scotland still has a considerably higher public spending per head than the rest of the UK.

And not all of this difference in spending is going into the higher education sector, so the £9,000 pa contribution English, Welsh and Northern Irish students make towards studying in Scotland probably comes in higher (>£200 mill.) than the proportion of Scotland's excess contribution to the UK spent on English education.
Reply 53
Hey again guys! :-) i've decided to reopen the thread as you can see! I have almost completed my ucas application but I'm not sure about my 5th university choice. I've registered for Edinburgh, Stirling, Aberdeen and Dundee( if you don't remember I want to study general biology). This is the reason actually why I don't choose Glasgow. I want to hear yor suggestions! ( would it be Napier?)
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
Hey again guys! :-) i've decided to reopen the thread as you can see! I have almost completed my ucas application but I'm not sure about my 5th university choice. I've registered for Edinburgh, Stirling, Aberdeen and Dundee( if you don't remember I want to study general biology). This is the reason actually why I don't choose Glasgow. I want to hear yor suggestions! ( would it be Napier?)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, Stirling are very good choices.

Glasgow and Strathclyde are out are they?

What about Heriot Watt?
http://www.undergraduate.hw.ac.uk/programmes/C120/
Reply 55
Well strathclyde has only biomedical science and glasgow doesn't have general biology ( c-100). I would register the heriot watt but unfortunately it requires only apolytirion of lykeio and not panhellenic exams that i'm studying. Here in Greece our system is so comlicated!
Reply 56
Well strathclyde has only biomedical science and glasgow doesn't have general biology ( c-100). I would register the heriot watt but unfortunately it requires only apolytirion of lykeio and not panhellenic exams that i'm studying. Here in Greece our system is so comlicated!

too bad.

what is you university preference order?
Reply 57
Original post by WeeGuy
too bad.

what is you university preference order?

Do I have to put them with preference order? Anyway 1. Edinburgh 2.Aberdeen 3. Dundee 4. Stirling

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Do I have to put them with preference order? Anyway 1. Edinburgh 2.Aberdeen 3. Dundee 4. Stirling

Posted from TSR Mobile

no you dont.
Reply 59
Do I have to put them with preference order? Anyway 1. Edinburgh 2.Aberdeen 3. Dundee 4. Stirling.

No, at least not on UCAS. You put five choices down, get offers/rejections and then choose a 'firm' (the uni you want to go to) and 'insurance' (in case you do not get the grades required by your 'firm') out of your offers. No need for a preference list.

WeeGuy was probably just interested in your personal preference.

Quick Reply

Latest