The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6700
Original post by The Rusty Spork
I thought that he had already said that he was moving to Bayern, he was just waiting until his contract runs out.

Yeah I think that was what he said. Obviously it's not set in stone as he can only move on a bosman in january. While rather unlikely it's a possibility. Better than buying sturridge back for 3 times the price we sold him for 8 months ago anyway :sigh:.
Original post by The Rusty Spork
I thought that he had already said that he was moving to Bayern, he was just waiting until his contract runs out.

Well he said he wanted to but things change. Flash 150k in his direction and he'd think twice. top top striker though no doubt.
Reply 6702

Spoiler

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8935044/jose-mourinho-snf-interview
Full interview with sky sports btw. He's got a point, but at the same time looked a bit iffy. May be a slightly ulterior motive(but I doubt it's the spanish players thing as torres plays a lot and he's not going to take things that personal seeing as eto'o hated him and deco hated him yet he ended up making them/using them as world class players when he managed them) probably to do with the dressing room influence that mourinho is trying to get early on or something psychological. With Mourinho you know that he's always got something up his sleeve.
Reply 6703
With who he said played next to mata, he says that ramires and oscar used to play next to him, that pairing rarely happened under Benitez(ramires played on the flanks twice under him I think) and never happened under RDM iirc,

Pretty sure Ramires did get played by RDM on the wing from time to time...Quite frequently actually if I remember? It was painful to watch.
Can we move over Eniola Aluko from our women's team to solve our striking problem?
Reply 6705
Original post by jam277
she reminds me of angelina jolie in her prime fam. The italians :sogood:
You're actually spot on here though. Mixed girls= :dice: damn I need to go to america man.

You just can't get any better.

I quite like Schweinsteiger's WAG. :coma:
Original post by iRush
You just can't get any better.

I quite like Schweinsteiger's WAG. :coma:

German girls are :coma:. Been over there the last few weeks and been drooling over quite a few of dem frauleins
Looks like City massacred United. I knew once Pellegrini knew what he was doing with the team and have them gel/adapt, they'd look unstoppable -- and it's still only September. Was hoping it'd be a draw.

Really going to have to find our best team soon and work hard to achieve the right results. I hope we don't play for a draw against Spuds.

Arsenal are also a team we have to watch out for. They actually have a really good starting XI --on par with ours tbh-- but lack sufficient depth. Maybe that could be remedied in January if Wengy goes HAM. Going to be quite nerve-wracking...

Not sure about winning the title this season but next season we'll really need a top class striker that can integrate with our midfield (Lewandowski) as well as someone who can add steel in the pivot, if we want to compete at the top IMO. Early days though; who knows?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6708
Original post by mhsc
Pretty sure Ramires did get played by RDM on the wing from time to time...Quite frequently actually if I remember? It was painful to watch.

Ramires and oscar. Usually hazard, ramires and mata played together. But rarely(if ever) did ramires and oscar play together with mata in the centre. For the most part mata played on the right wing under RDM while oscar was in the middle.
Piazon scored 2 goals for Vitesse. He was playing as a left winger thought which is unfortunate.

EDIT: Well actually he played as a striker according to GOAL
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Assassin
Piazon scored 2 goals for Vitesse. He was playing as a left winger thought which is unfortunate.

EDIT: Well actually he played as a striker according to GOAL

You watching it?

Quite into Dutch football but would struggle to sit through Vitesse/Zwolle tbf, haha
Original post by Zürich
You watching it?

Quite into Dutch football but would struggle to sit through Vitesse/Zwolle tbf, haha

I have to watch Vitesse, mainly because we've got half of our reserve team there haha. But I've started watching the league in general more and more recently.
Is anyone with me? Etoo doesnt deserve to play in Chelsea!
Original post by jam277
Now the article then goes to say I'm probably reading a lot into this, but obviously this means that we're going to be playing a positive style of football, but it seems like it's different to the way in which we play now. So does that mean we play a full on possession game? where the likes of oscar press the opposition and give them no space to play out like barcelona? We know that RA loves the possession game and also I remember jose saying he likes the possession game too(but with a goal) when he was talking about spain playing 4-6-0 against italy. Or do we play on the counter attack, the way in which bayern did under heynckes and totally dominate the opposition from start to finish while switching the lights on and off with maximum german-like efficiency?

From what he said, I guess he may be aiming towards a style similar to Pep's Barca but more direct. So it won't be excessive tippy tappy football (fortunately for the Barca haters).

A problem with our play was that it was rather slow, so we struggled to break down narrow teams(see swansea bus parking in the league cup e.g.). but we also then go to buy more playmakers, then buy a striker(like rooney) who works the channels and is able to run at defenders with their physique.

Agreed that your play was often slow. But I blame that on not enough runs off the ball behind the defence, not enough width and no DLP. If Jose could address this problem, it would have brought the best out of Mata since he has great vision and passing ability.
Original post by jam277
I've watched the whole interview with sky sports, he's saying that he wants us to always play in the high block all the time and be in possession of the ball, he wants us to be better at recovering the ball as well(why he uses oscar instead of mata as a no.10) and wants us to be efficient and ruthless with the ball than aimlessly pass it from side to side when teams just get two banks of 4 out. I can see why he's dropped mata there tbf. May be extreme in the way he's done it(especially since mata's had little gametime to prove himself so wouldn't be fit) but I understand why you'd start oscar over him. He said that our problem was that we didn't get behind defences and our lack of width which schurrle was able to do in this match(see the oscar goal) and that hazard also struggled in doing this as well. Which also is fair enough.

Another problem I have with Jose regarding Mata and changing Chelsea's football style is that if Jose is really aiming for possession football, what is Ramires doing in the team? Possession football and Ramires contradict each other. You can't play possession football when people like Ramires keep giving the ball away, even when he's not under pressure.

Secondly if he wants Chelsea to be ruthless and efficient with the ball, meaning an end to aimless passing side to side (and you also said Chelsea's play was often slow), again what is Ramires doing in the team? What is Mikel doing in the team? All they do is either slow the game down because it takes too long for them to control the ball, too long to decide who to pass to, they end up passing it backwards or sideways most of the time anyway and especially in Ramires' case, he often gives away possession with his crappy ball control or inaccurate passes. How is that ruthless or efficient or helping to speed up Chelsea's game? I personally don't have that much of a problem with Mikel playing, as long as a quality DLP is playing next to him. Instead we have Ramires playing in DM, who looks like regular starter in Jose's first XI.

So already, we can see that there are massive contradictions and inconsistencies within Jose's views. Apparently, it's a big problem if Mata is not great defensively. But it's not a big problem if people like Ramires regularly give the ball away and don't offer ruthless creativity from central midfield.

And what is the point of winning the ball back if you give it away again in less than 30 secs?
He also was saying one problem with our strikers was that ivanovic looked to cross the ball and we don't have such strikers or attacking midfield players for that style of play anymore(hence why he bought eto'o) and that he wanted mata to be more hardworking, said that it wasn't mata's fault, but more a consequence of our defensive style of play that we've been trying to evolve to a more possession based style of play which I can also understand.

Like I said above, there are inconsistencies in Jose's plans. And it makes me wonder where he's got something personal against Mata. I'm not saying he does. But it makes me wonder nonetheless. He talks about how Mata has to prove himself. But it doesn't make sense because Cole has generally been poor so far. Yet Bertrand hasn't gotten a game yet (prior to the League Cup match). Hazard wasn't good against Basel. Yet he got to start again against Fulham. Ramires has also been poor after his first two games and yet he's the first name on the team sheet for Jose. It boggles my mind.

Like I said before, we have to give Jose some time to prove himself. But he hasn't convinced me about his plans. If he wants possession football, then surely he should be playing better technical players than Ramires? And surely he should willingly give Chelsea's most technical player (Mata) a proper chance to claim a spot in the role that requires the most technique and intelligence (#10 role), rather than just writing off Mata for the #10 role and insisting he should be a winger instead? And it's not that hard to coach Mata to do a decent job pressing from the front and be quicker on the ball, is it? If he wants more ruthlessness and efficiency, why not play Chelsea's arguably best set piece taker (Mata) to get more goals? If he wants more ruthlessness in the final third of the pitch, why not play Chelsea's most creative player, who also scores goals (Mata)?

However, even though I disagree with Jose on this matter and how he's going about it, I admit Oscar has been better so far and deserves his spot atm. I'll give my ultimate judgement on Mourinho at the end of the season. Afterall, a change in the club's philosophy and system ain't gonna happen overnight.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6714
Original post by G0d Cable
From what he said, I guess he may be aiming towards a style similar to Pep's Barca but more direct. So it won't be excessive tippy tappy football (fortunately for the Barca haters).

Agreed that your play was often slow. But I blame that on not enough runs off the ball behind the defence and not enough width. If Jose could address this problem, it would have brought the best out of Mata since he has great vision and passing ability.

Another problem I have with Jose regarding Mata and changing Chelsea's football style is that if Jose is really aiming for possession football, what is Ramires doing in the team? Possession football and Ramires contradict each other. You can't play possession football when people like Ramires keep giving the ball away, even when he's not under pressure.

Secondly if he wants Chelsea to be ruthless and efficient with the ball, meaning an end to aimless passing side to side (and you also said Chelsea's play was often slow), again what is Ramires doing in the team? What is Mikel doing in the team? All they do is either slow the game down because it takes too long for them to control the ball, too long to decide who to pass to, they end up passing it backwards or sideways most of the time anyway and especially in Ramires' case, he often gives away possession with his crappy ball control or inaccurate passes. How is that ruthless or efficient or helping to speed up Chelsea's game? I personally don't have that much of a problem with Mikel playing, as long as a quality DLP is playing next to him. Instead we have Ramires playing in DM, who looks like regular starter in Jose's first XI.

So already, we can see that there are massive contradictions and inconsistencies within Jose's views. Apparently, it's a big problem if Mata is not great defensively. But it's not a big problem if people like Ramires regularly give the ball away and don't offer ruthless creativity from central midfield.

And what is the point of winning the ball back if you give it away again in less than 30 secs?

Like I said above, there are inconsistencies in Jose's plans. And it makes me wonder where he's got something personal against Mata. I'm not saying he does. But it makes me wonder nonetheless. He talks about how Mata has to prove himself. But it doesn't make sense because Cole has generally been poor so far. Yet Bertrand hasn't gotten a game yet (prior to the League Cup match). Hazard wasn't good against Basel. Yet he got to play again against Fulham. Ramires has also been poor after his first two games and yet he's the first name on the team sheet for Jose. It boggles my mind.

Like I said before, we have to give Jose some time to prove himself. But he hasn't convinced me about his plans. If he wants possession football, then surely he should be playing better technical players than Ramires? And surely he should willingly give Chelsea's most technical player (Mata) a proper chance to claim a spot in the role that requires the most technique and intelligence (#10 role), rather than just writing off Mata for the #10 role and insisting he should be a winger instead? And it's not that hard to coach Mata to do a decent job pressing from the front and be quicker on the ball, is it? If he wants more ruthlessness and efficiency, why not play Chelsea's arguably best set piece taker (Mata)? If he wants more ruthlessness, why not play Chelsea's most creative player, who also scores goals (Mata)?

However, even though I disagree with Jose on this matter and how he's going about it, I admit Oscar has been better so far and deserves his spot atm. I'll give my ultimate judgement on Mourinho at the end of the season. Afterall, a change in the club's philosophy and system ain't gonna happen overnight.

You know what I fully agree with you, even in the interview he sounded iffy and tried to say things to suit his point. I would guess that he thinks this would not happen overnight. I guess oscar's form does shield any ulterior motives jose may have tbh, but I also mentioned that he said that we played ramires and oscar next to mata at times, that is an absolute lie as I said before only one of the two played next to mata when he was the no.10 under benitez and di matteo.

Saying that he used to play kalou and ramires next to mata when we first changed to the 4-2-3-1 and that may be what he was pertaining to when he said we used workhard players next to mata and to get the best out of him there we need to use players like ramires. I think he's handled the situation rather poorly in fact, but i generally agree with most of what he's saying. I don't agree with not including mata in the squad.

Originally I said that he should stick with the first 11 so they gel mata or not. He's done it without him atm and fair enough. Hopefully we get the results. I'd like to see us against man city tbh. I doubt our performance would be as pitiful as uniteds. But I do think that we'd need to press them ruthlessly and give them no space to play. They're clearly the benchmark atm.

Oh and the likes of ramires in the squad is frustrating as you say. Mikel not so much with the right partner though, but it's not the 11/12 season anymore, we don't need players like ramires starting if he's going to lose the ball majority of the time he's on it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by jam277
You know what I fully agree with you, even in the interview he sounded iffy and tried to say things to suit his point. I would guess that he thinks this would not happen overnight. I guess oscar's form does shield any ulterior motives jose may have tbh, but I also mentioned that he said that we played ramires and oscar next to mata at times, that is an absolute lie as I said before only one of the two played next to mata when he was the no.10 under benitez and di matteo.

Saying that he used to play kalou and ramires next to mata when we first changed to the 4-2-3-1 and that may be what he was pertaining to when he said we used workhard players next to mata and to get the best out of him there we need to use players like ramires. I think he's handled the situation rather poorly in fact, but i generally agree with most of what he's saying. I don't agree with not including mata in the squad.

Originally I said that he should stick with the first 11 so they gel mata or not. He's done it without him atm and fair enough. Hopefully we get the results. I'd like to see us against man city tbh. I doubt our performance would be as pitiful as uniteds. But I do think that we'd need to press them ruthlessly and give them no space to play. They're clearly the benchmark atm.

Oh and the likes of ramires in the squad is frustrating as you say. Mikel not so much with the right partner though, but it's not the 11/12 season anymore, we don't need players like ramires starting if he's going to lose the ball majority of the time he's on it.

Agreed. Especially the part about Jose picking his best XI and sticking to it. That's why I thought I was being a bit harsh on him earlier. Time is passing by and he's got to get points if he wants to challenge for the title. Which means getting his best XI sorted ASAP. He wasn't going to wait for Mata to get back to form when Oscar was already doing the business.

Anyway, it's not all doom and gloom. Even though I have my disagreements with Jose, his record speaks for itself and he generally knows what he's doing. So everyone should back him and give the ultimate judgement at the end of the season.

Regarding Man City, I agree again. You have to press them like hell to stifle their game.
Original post by jam277
I'd like to say goodbye to all you guys for the meantime. Spread the peace and love init. I'll be back. But I must get on with my life. This is a new page of my life. :cool:
Damn.

What am I gonna do without you, my bredrin :cry2:? In fact, I might as well take my leave too.

Good luck with your studies. Wish you all the best, fam.

It's been a blast. :moon:

May the force be with you.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6717
Btw I'm gonna be taking a break from TSR so you won't see me much anymore after tonight lol.

Regarding Man City, I agree again. You have to press them like hell to stifle their game.

This is one thing I'm wondering, how do you beat city when they're in full flow? Their issue was width last season but kolarov/clichy bombing down the left when nasri cuts in and navas on the right side with zabaleta provide that now. I reckon we could have dominated united in possession with who we had tbh.

With city as we need to press them hard, the midfield duo are vital, do we play the wounded dog and do our typical chelsea-esque performance with a lot of pressing hoping for a slip-up/moment of magic catennacio style or do we try to play our game and take it to them? That's the only thing I'm wondering. We can't do something inbetween like united attempted today or we'll be obliterated.
Reply 6718
Damn. What am I gonna do without you, my bredrin :cry:? In fact, I might as well take my leave too. Good luck with your studies. Wish you all the best, fam. It's been a blast. :moon: May the force be with you.

Same bro. learnt a lot from you guys haha. no homo man peace and love :redface:
Original post by jam277
Btw I'm gonna be taking a break from TSR so you won't see me much anymore after tonight lol.

You gonna be back for match days at least? Or are you taking like a hiatus from TSR?

Latest