The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

That's very brave at you :redface: IT GCSE was way too stressful at me....Probably because for the first half of year twelve my friends and I abused the fact we were using computers and spent a good 10/15 minutes each lesson looking at clothes, festivals and random weird facts online and having general banter, and then ended up staying after school multiple times a week for a couple of months and going into school in the holidays to complete our coursework :redface:
Original post by peaaceandl0ve
That's very brave at you :redface: IT GCSE was way too stressful at me....Probably because for the first half of year twelve my friends and I abused the fact we were using computers and spent a good 10/15 minutes each lesson looking at clothes, festivals and random weird facts online and having general banter, and then ended up staying after school multiple times a week for a couple of months and going into school in the holidays to complete our coursework :redface:

This happened with my IT group at GCSE too, because our teacher left just before the start of year 10, and the school didn't hire anyone else until year 11, so we were stuck with substitutes for a whole year, who had no idea what they were doing.
Hi everyone. I'm doing:

AQA Physics
AQA Psychology
OCR Chemistry A
OCR Biology

But i'm not sure whether i'm going to continue doing psychology. Thinking about dropping it. Want to do Pharmacy at Uni, and the only course that requires a fourth as level is pharmacy at ucl. Does everyone reckon i'll be able to get onto those courses with only three as-levels? Just think i'll be able to get better quality grades if i do three subjects
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by suitable
Hi everyone. I'm doing:

AQA Physics
AQA Psychology
OCR Chemistry A
OCR Biology

But i'm not sure whether i'm going to continue doing psychology. Thinking about dropping it. Want to do Pharmacy at Uni, and the only course that requires a fourth as level is pharmacy at ucl. Does everyone reckon i'll be able to get onto those courses with only three as-levels? Just think i'll be able to get better quality grades if i do three subjects

I'm doing OCR biology too!

My school won't let anyone only do 3 AS subjects - I'm pretty sure 4 is the default. A lot of people will drop one at the end of year 12 anyway, and only do three in year 13. Speak to your head of year or something, they'll be able to help!
Reply 5424
I feel so down at the moment, I don't even know why :frown:

Tomorrow isn't going to be fun if I can't get over myself.
Original post by Tibbz2
I feel so down at the moment, I don't even know why :frown:

Tomorrow isn't going to be fun if I can't get over myself.

Aw :frown: I hope you feel better soon!
ugh. Monday tomorrow :nothing:
Reply 5427
Health issues? Ooh, sounds interesting. It is very much GCSE standard so far but I can imagine there will be a bigger focus on collecting data and referring to collecting fieldwork in the exam. You lucky thing! We just have a night in Bridlington in October :/ Last year we had a day on the Holderness Coast and basically surveyed people, measured the beach width, took pictures and rated the different features of coastal management on a bipolar scale for our controlled assessment. Writing up the controlled assessment as supposed to take 20 hours, but me and my friends took around 40 :/

I think that you are right. I definitely think that we'll be tested on our analytical skills with map and graph work this year. I can sympathise with the controlled assessment stress. Most people in my year had to keep going to the catch up sessions to complete it- pages and pages of graphs! I remember how the fire alarm went off during the middle of one of the write up sessions, which somehow caused the switch to short circuit and my computer shut down. I nearly died because my of most of my work had disappeared! >.< Also, It was so embarrassing surveying local residents outside Morrisons, randomly pointing at cars for the traffic count and creepily taking pictures of people's houses. Ahh cool, we studied the Holderness Coast case study last year too.
Original post by thelizzister
ugh. Monday tomorrow :nothing:

My feelings too. I have double maths and chemistry, with a double free in between.. I haven't got enough work to do in a two hour free yet ugh
Original post by lulagreenleaf
My feelings too. I have double maths and chemistry, with a double free in between.. I haven't got enough work to do in a two hour free yet ugh

im the opposite, i have way too much work that i wont be able to do in the two hour free, and this weekend just flew by...
well all in all, hope u have an ok day tomorrow :smile:

Myself and a couple of other friends outright refused to take part in the course :mmm: They threatened us with "hurr durr universities want it" and "we'll make you retake it in sixth form".

We never again heard word of the subject after the last lesson :u:

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Maybe he wants to do Computer Science or something like that

IT is not Computer Science :tongue:

Original post by Bude8
Here's a new word for you.
Parvanimity. Can you figure out what it means?
That's definitely going to blow the socks off an examiner :tongue:

Having not done Latin for a few months, I'd forgotten the word "parvus" :tongue:

I'll be using that :awesome:
It's miraculous how much faster I get homework done when I have access to YouTube during My Free periods
Original post by lulagreenleaf
This happened with my IT group at GCSE too, because our teacher left just before the start of year 10, and the school didn't hire anyone else until year 11, so we were stuck with substitutes for a whole year, who had no idea what they were doing.

Oh gosh, that must be awful! You poor thing, I congratulate you greatly for getting a Distinction in spite of that.
Enrolling onto gold duke of Edinburgh award, I'm genuinely excited for it
That does sound like the best way to do it :tongue: Shh, at the beginning of Year Ten when I had little idea of what GCSEs would be like, I regarded reading online articles about The Apprentice and e-mailing my friend who was sat next to me as very important :h:
Original post by MangoFreak
Myself and a couple of other friends outright refused to take part in the course :mmm: They threatened us with "hurr durr universities want it" and "we'll make you retake it in sixth form".

Oh lucky you! Well I took it as an option so I had no choice :tongue: But everyone who didn't take it had to a 1/2 GCSE in it, and school entered them for it two/three times, then just gave up with those who had still not passed :biggrin:
Original post by Red Fox
Enrolling onto gold duke of Edinburgh award, I'm genuinely excited for it

DoE looks great, I hope you enjoy it! :h:
Reply 5437
for my inductions i've gotten AAAE maths chemistry biology and physics. e in physics lol i said in this very forum that i was going to do bad and I did. Oddly enough i'm dropping biology to do further maths
Hello! I'm doing Maths and Biology (Edexcel), Chemistry (OCR B), and Spanish (AQA)
Original post by sos_
I think that you are right. I definitely think that we'll be tested on our analytical skills with map and graph work this year. I can sympathise with the controlled assessment stress. Most people in my year had to keep going to the catch up sessions to complete it- pages and pages of graphs! I remember how the fire alarm went off during the middle of one of the write up sessions, which somehow caused the switch to short circuit and my computer shut down. I nearly died because my of most of my work had disappeared! >.< Also, It was so embarrassing surveying local residents outside Morrisons, randomly pointing at cars for the traffic count and creepily taking pictures of people's houses. Ahh cool, we studied the Holderness Coast case study last year too.
Yes, I can imagine there will be a big focus on research methods. It's a bit boring to be honest, I do prefer getting really deep into case studies, but they can't please everyone :tongue: Oh gosh, that must have been awful! You poor thing. Re-doing work is the worst :frown: I can imagine, yes, when we did our coursework it was raining so obviously there weren't many people on the beach, so if we saw someone then we all just bombarded them :biggrin:

Latest