The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 360
Original post by catface1994
Does anyone know if you're allowed to have one visitor stay ion your room? :/

Yes, though there is technically a limit to the number of nights you're allowed to have guests signed in to your room...
Original post by bellatrixb
Have any NatScis chosen their options yet? I'm planning to take two biology modules along with chemistry, but i'm finding it really hard to decide past that!

Heya :smile: Fairly similar here:
I'm pretty set on taking Chemistry, Cells and Physiology of Organisms (though did consider Computer Science purely for the useful skill) :smile: However can't choose between Mathematical Biology and Maths A (didn't take Further Maths, so probably won't consider Maths B unless I get some hearty reading in!)... You in a similar situation?

The purer Mathematics module looks slightly more challenging (which I want) and I feel it would be easier to catch up on the MB topics in my own time; however MB is probably more relevant to my modules and I don't want to miss out on a useful technique by not taking any stats/not knowing how to use differentiation and integration to biological applications (eg modelling)...

Would it be weird if I emailed my DoS about it now, rather than waiting for term to start?
I know :smile: it's the decision of which biology modules to take that I'm unsure about...

Just saw this - you can probably ignore my last post then :colondollar: Sorry...
What do you want to do in the long run? It was (relatively) easy for me because I have no interest in Ecology (which is amongst the interesting parts of Evolution and Behaviour), but want to either study Neurobiology (for which Physiology is most useful) or epigenetics (for which the Biochemistry aspect of Cells is useful). Also, Cells seems to have a reputation for being a bit of a beast :colone:
Original post by Lost And Confused
Heya :smile: Fairly similar here:
I'm pretty set on taking Chemistry, Cells and Physiology of Organisms (though did consider Computer Science purely for the useful skill) :smile: However can't choose between Mathematical Biology and Maths A (didn't take Further Maths, so probably won't consider Maths B unless I get some hearty reading in!)... You in a similar situation?

The purer Mathematics module looks slightly more challenging (which I want) and I feel it would be easier to catch up on the MB topics in my own time; however MB is probably more relevant to my modules and I don't want to miss out on a useful technique by not taking any stats/not knowing how to use differentiation and integration to biological applications (eg modelling)...

Would it be weird if I emailed my DoS about it now, rather than waiting for term to start?

Hi :smile: I feel the same about the maths modules...I took further maths, and really enjoyed the pure maths stuff (although I didn't do well enough in FP2 for maths B), but I'm worried that if I took Maths A I wouldn't have time to self teach the biology stuff, so I think overall I'm going to have to sacrifice that one. I'm pretty sure emailing is fine- my college definitely says to.

Original post by Lost And Confused
Just saw this - you can probably ignore my last post then :colondollar: Sorry...
What do you want to do in the long run? It was (relatively) easy for me because I have no interest in Ecology (which is amongst the interesting parts of Evolution and Behaviour), but want to either study Neurobiology (for which Physiology is most useful) or epigenetics (for which the Biochemistry aspect of Cells is useful). Also, Cells seems to have a reputation for being a bit of a beast :colone:

Unfortunately, I have no idea....I can think of about 6 areas that I might be interested in...chemistry or genetics or neuroscience or pathology or pharmacology or plant sciences...which doesn't really help narrow down the options! Physiology is probably more relevant, but I really like the look of the Evolution course. I might have to just flip a coin (although then explaining my thought processes to my DoS might be a bit tricky!)
Hi :smile: I feel the same about the maths modules...I took further maths, and really enjoyed the pure maths stuff (although I didn't do well enough in FP2 for maths B), but I'm worried that if I took Maths A I wouldn't have time to self teach the biology stuff, so I think overall I'm going to have to sacrifice that one. I'm pretty sure emailing is fine- my college definitely says to.

Sounds fair enough, I've been down the same thought process and think I'm more likely to be sacrificing Maths A for MB as well...
I didn't even take FM (kinda wish I had) so I'm going to be even further behind... :rolleyes: But I do have a very nice book IF I was going to attempt to learn everything in 3 weeks!

Unfortunately, I have no idea....I can think of about 6 areas that I might be interested in...chemistry or genetics or neuroscience or pathology or pharmacology or plant sciences...which doesn't really help narrow down the options! Physiology is probably more relevant, but I really like the look of the Evolution course. I might have to just flip a coin (although then explaining my thought processes to my DoS might be a bit tricky!)

Interesting how you seem to have nearly exactly the same overall aim as I do (although I'm slightly more weighted to the first three), yet don't have the same clear decision...
Flipping a coin actually sounds like a good idea, as if you're disappointed with the toss then you can just do the other option :smile:
Reply 365
So is anyone planning to create a TSR Fresher blog? :biggrin:
Original post by fluteflute

That looks like great fun!
Reply 367
Original post by St. Brynjar
That looks like great fun!

I want some stories to read about!

I am :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just got my bike all set up, it's been a long while since I've had a ride on it... let's hope I don't crash and die when full term starts :redface: I should probably refresh myself on the highway code as well.

Anyone else arriving a week early or am I going to be all aloooooneeeee?

Awesome idea! :biggrin:
Anyone know what the dress code is for a bop/an entz?
Reply 372
Original post by lieseldante
Anyone know what the dress code is for a bop/an entz?

Depends on the bop. It's usually fancy dress of some description, and is "school disco" roughly 98.5% of the time in Freshers' Week.
Reply 373
Original post by lp386
Depends on the bop. It's usually fancy dress of some description, and is "school disco" roughly 98.5% of the time in Freshers' Week.

What exactly does school disco entail? Glittery clothing and staying in two distinct gender-based groups? :hmmm:
Original post by Etoile
What exactly does school disco entail? Glittery clothing and staying in two distinct gender-based groups? :hmmm:

Hahaha! Ours is disney themed :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 375
Original post by Natalie21
Hahaha! Ours is disney themed :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds awesome! Are you going as a princess or what?
Original post by lp386

Anyone know the Fitz bop theme?
Original post by Etoile
That sounds awesome! Are you going as a princess or what?

Minnie Mouse :smile:

Most of the adult sized princess costumes are fairly raunchy :P.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 378
Original post by Natalie21
Minnie Mouse :smile:

Most of the adult sized princess costumes are fairly raunchy :P.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome :biggrin: To be honest, most women's costumes in general seem to be pretty raunchy! I was considering going as a German to mine and searching on amazon/ebay came up with things like this:
la83688.jpg
all I was looking for was a Tyrolean hat :rofl:
Does anyone know if we should be able to log in using our cambridge email addresses yet/ it won't let me, but I'm not sure whether this is because it isn't available yet, or because I've remembered my password wrong :/

Latest