The Student Room Group

How to spend £50 notes?

I think this is not only a big problem to a foreign student (like me) but also to UK people as well. The bank will always give you £50 notes when you do the currency conversion ..and I know somehow British doesn't like using £50 and always consider they are fake...

I can't just put all my money in the bank account because you need some cash with you anyway. So I need some ideas and advises helping me spend them or break them up.

Scroll to see replies

Put it all in the bank, then get it out at the cashpoint, I don't think any cashpoints give out £50 notes.
Reply 2
Any big supermarkets including aldi normally takes then. Even if you buy just a pack of gum or a feddo

Posted from TSR Mobile
go to the strip club and make it rain
Reply 4
Use it when you are buying something expensive or put in the bank. You can end up looking very suspicious buying a pack of gum with a £50.
Reply 5
Put it in the bank, use your debit card to get out money. I usually keep £20 on me all the time. Or go to the bank and ask if they can swap the £50 for tens?
Go to the self serve checkout at a supermarket and stuff it in the machine when you buy something. I do this to break bigger notes into smaller ones, and also to get rid of my small change. (When I buy something on the self serve checkouts I just stick all my change in and see what's left to pay.) It means you don't have to feel guilty by giving the checkout assistant a handful of change.
I remember once when I was serving at my local Cancer Research till and I scanned a woman's stuff (a few toys and baby clothes). It came up to a total of like £15 and she gave me a £50 note:angry: Had to tell her to get something smaller from the bank because I couldn't provide her with the change, who the **** pays with a £50 unless your buying something expensive.
Reply 8
Original post by Runninground
Go to the self serve checkout at a supermarket and stuff it in the machine when you buy something. I do this to break bigger notes into smaller ones, and also to get rid of my small change. (When I buy something on the self serve checkouts I just stick all my change in and see what's left to pay.) It means you don't have to feel guilty by giving the checkout assistant a handful of change.

Self scans in sainsburys don't accept £50 notes. Not sure if other stores do either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BttrLtThnNvr
go to the strip club and make it rain

wicked !!
Reply 10
Sure you could change them for 20s and 10s at a post office or a bank.
Original post by pinda.college
I remember once when I was serving at my local Cancer Research till and I scanned a woman's stuff (a few toys and baby clothes). It came up to a total of like £15 and she gave me a £50 note:angry: Had to tell her to get something smaller from the bank because I couldn't provide her with the change, who the **** pays with a £50 unless your buying something expensive.

Maybe not at a local Cancer Research but I think that is fine anywhere else. Its only a 20, a 10 and a 5, not much cash at all. Surely that isn't a problem for most places.
Original post by SophieSmall
Put it all in the bank, then get it out at the cashpoint, I don't think any cashpoints give out £50 notes.

I haven't seen a bank one but some of the ones not owned by banks will give out 50s.
Reply 13
All the cash machines over here in the Netherlands give out 50's, it's annoying because i'm so used to people in shops being bothered by me using a £50 note that I presume they'll do the same here. I've said a few times to bartenders or people at the checkout "I only have a 50 is that alright?", just out of habit. They've always taken it. Even if i'm just buying one drink at a bar or something.
Imagine how bad this would be if we had the equivalent of the 500 Euro note!
Reply 15
Original post by Cll_ws
All the cash machines over here in the Netherlands give out 50's, it's annoying because i'm so used to people in shops being bothered by me using a £50 note that I presume they'll do the same here. I've said a few times to bartenders or people at the checkout "I only have a 50 is that alright?", just out of habit. They've always taken it. Even if i'm just buying one drink at a bar or something.

brit shopkeepers really hate having a lot of cash in the till.
Maybe we have more stick ups than other countries or something :unsure:
Reply 16
Original post by Squishyy
I think this is not only a big problem to a foreign student (like me) but also to UK people as well. The bank will always give you £50 notes when you do the currency conversion ..and I know somehow British doesn't like using £50 and always consider they are fake...

I can't just put all my money in the bank account because you need some cash with you anyway. So I need some ideas and advises helping me spend them or break them up.

When you convert your currency tell the bank you do not want any £50 notes, you are not obliged to accept what they might want to give you, just state at the start of the transaction that you dont want anything larger than a twenty.
Original post by confusedmother
wicked !!

didn't think I'd receive a positive response from female :P but wicked it would be!

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Imagine how bad this would be if we had the equivalent of the 500 Euro note!

the way people look at you when you hand over a £100 is if your an alien
Original post by BttrLtThnNvr
didn't think I'd receive a positive response from female :P but wicked it would be!

the way people look at you when you hand over a £100 is if your an alien

I feel genderless , ageless ..besides I have seen too much of life and its eccentricities, hence I see nothing but the folly...no rest for the wicked eh? ha ha ....out of gradient answers ....anytime !
Reply 19
Two fifties = big fur coat and a pimp stick.

Now nobody will doubt the legitimacy of your remaining fifties, unless then want a pimp slap upside the head.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending