The Student Room Group

No friends at uni

Scroll to see replies

Making true friendship does not happen over night in my opinion.
Sure you can meet someone you are Leo they are Aries,you like cake so do they but true friendship takes a good while to develop.
To the OP,I am not going to tell you it will work out and you will make friends because maybe it is not to be.
You have already said you have tried with some people and they phased you out for shisha.
As long as there is interaction when asked for,seminars and so on,sitting with a book or your music while having a bite to eat at lunch is not so bad.
Maybe your personal path at uni is to focus mainly on your course work and less on friendships,the fact you can make friends and have done suggests you are doing all you can.
The forming,norming and storming process can be quite intense.
I do hope you connect with at least one pal as it is important to you hence your concern here,however to reiterate,even if you find over time it Is just not working maybe look into joining groups here that interest you,I am New so not sure but maybe some of these groups arrange one of latte meets:-)
I nearly forgot,uni has only just begun so..... try not to stress to much.
Reply 161
Original post by Retro Soul
Making true friendship does not happen over night in my opinion.
Sure you can meet someone you are Leo they are Aries,you like cake so do they but true friendship takes a good while to develop.
To the OP,I am not going to tell you it will work out and you will make friends because maybe it is not to be.
You have already said you have tried with some people and they phased you out for shisha.
As long as there is interaction when asked for,seminars and so on,sitting with a book or your music while having a bite to eat at lunch is not so bad.
Maybe your personal path at uni is to focus mainly on your course work and less on friendships,the fact you can make friends and have done suggests you are doing all you can.
The forming,norming and storming process can be quite intense.
I do hope you connect with at least one pal as it is important to you hence your concern here,however to reiterate,even if you find over time it Is just not working maybe look into joining groups here that interest you,I am New so not sure but maybe some of these groups arrange one of latte meets:-)
I nearly forgot,uni has only just begun so..... try not to stress to much.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 162
Yeah, I decided that I'm not ever going to make friends here. Everyone keeps ignoring me and are still in their groups. I don't fit in at all. :cry2:
I'm in my third year and I can completely understand...........I suppose I "know" a lot of people, but in all honesty to me they are just all strangers.
I haven't come across anyone who gets me and are friendly and wanna hang out.

Luckily I still got my college friends who are still there for me, luckily most of us are in London so we do see each other.

Today was my first day back after summer holidays and already depressed.
Reply 164
London uni's dont sound great for social life then?
Reply 165
Original post by ElChapo

Doesn't look like it. I think that for a greater social life, cities like Manchester or Leeds is better. Here, I just don't see it. Makes even a popular kid at school be a loner. :frown:
Original post by ElChapo

Nope. Social life is basically **** at QMUL, no matter what the others say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 167
Original post by Anonymous
Doesn't look like it. I think that for a greater social life, cities like Manchester or Leeds is better. Here, I just don't see it. Makes even a popular kid at school be a loner. :frown:

No offence but were you really so popular at school lol?
Original post by JulietheCat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm, what do you put that down to then?
Original post by ElChapo

Well, more people are lonely there than in any other uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Original post by ElChapo

Yeah, I was. Had a great social life and everything.
The same with my work experience.

I'm thinking that it was just never meant to be. I have success everywhere else but uni.
I like my course but don't like the social life. :cry2: :cry:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ElChapo

I have to agree with her..............I go to the same uni, yet in my 3rd year, I don't really get on people, there just isn't any connection.
Its affected my mentality and my grades....really lonely.
I don't really fit into the uni life. I don't think there is an inbetween. Its either everybody wants to go out and get really really drunk or on the other end of the spectrum they don't want to go out at all and just sit in their rooms alone and clearly don't want to make an effort. Im in between im not a wild party animal but I want to be social I like going out for coffees or out for dinner that sort of thing not clubbing. Im quite lucky that im only 40 minutes from home so if it all gets a bit much I can go home and see my friends or there come up and see me. University was most certainly not what I expected. Im only staying because I need my degree to get the job I want otherwise I would have left.
Reply 173
Original post by SillyMilly
I don't really fit into the uni life. I don't think there is an inbetween. Its either everybody wants to go out and get really really drunk or on the other end of the spectrum they don't want to go out at all and just sit in their rooms alone and clearly don't want to make an effort. Im in between im not a wild party animal but I want to be social I like going out for coffees or out for dinner that sort of thing not clubbing. Im quite lucky that im only 40 minutes from home so if it all gets a bit much I can go home and see my friends or there come up and see me. University was most certainly not what I expected. Im only staying because I need my degree to get the job I want otherwise I would have left.

Me too. I'm in uni, mainly to study an interesting subject and get a good job afterwards. I had loads of school friends and with the atmosphere of school, it was impossible not to make friends. In my work experience, once again, impossible not to make friends either. I don't really know why uni is like this.
Me too. I'm in uni, mainly to study an interesting subject and get a good job afterwards. I had loads of school friends and with the atmosphere of school, it was impossible not to make friends. In my work experience, once again, impossible not to make friends either. I don't really know why uni is like this.

im glad im not the only one. I go back this weekend and im dreading it. I feel like I should be excited because everybody keeps telling me that uni is the best time of my life, Ill make so many friends. Ive never felt so lonely in such a busy place. I don't know if that makes it so much worse. There are so many people at uni yet when you don't have any or many friends it makes you feel a thousand times worse.
Wow, QM has a **** social life. Who ****ing knew?
Reply 176
Wow, QM has a **** social life. Who ****ing knew?

The social life is **** in this uni. I thought we made that obvious, right?

You know, I give up. This is just bashing against the wall with no results. You all win :sigh:
Well, second year and people are still in their cliques!!! :bawling:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 178
Well, second year and people are still in their cliques!!! :bawling:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did try to make acquaintances to start off with but sooner or later I was blown off for their friends. Nice while it lasted though...
I did try to make acquaintances to start off with but sooner or later I was blown off for their friends. Nice while it lasted though...

It seems that it's just the uni. I'm just bearing the loneliness so I could just finish this degree already!

And maybe get a second degree, outside of London

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending