The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frankenstein
Ahhh ;-)
Yes I walked in on Friday and was overwhelmed because there were loads of secondary people there waiting haha we started on Wednesday and were out n about doings learning outside the classroom on Thursday ;-) did you get free iPad's too? I'm really enjoying the tutors, all seem dead nice, few odd balls on my course tho haha!!

X

Posted from TSR Mobile

No we didn't get ipads I'm sooo jealous!! Someone told me primary get those. :frown:

Haha yeah there's so many secondary that the professional practice lecture was split into two. I bet there's a lot of primary there though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kinda wanting school experience to come quicker. This is better than I had anticipated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by outlaw-torn
No we didn't get ipads I'm sooo jealous!! Someone told me primary get those. :frown:

Haha yeah there's so many secondary that the professional practice lecture was split into two. I bet there's a lot of primary there though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah we got iPad mini's for the year, asif you didn't get one! That's odd,

There's 150 of us :-) can't wait to get into the classroom,

X

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm absolutely exhausted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2404
Original post by sunfowers01
I'm absolutely exhausted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hows it going?

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
Hows it going?

xxx

I've almost survived the first week. Classes have been good, although I need to work on pitching them at the right level.

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2406
I've almost survived the first week. Classes have been good, although I need to work on pitching them at the right level.

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds positive, much moreso than your previous position! Pitch will definitely come with experience... it's so hard to pitch to a class you don't know yet.

I am eagerly awaiting a call about a possible Nursery Teacher job till xmas... they are very very busy atm so it's taking a while understandably, but it's so nerve wracking!!! I want to know, so I can start preparing if I have it. It's scary to think I could start next week and know nothing about the children and very little about the way they work things at that school! But I'm sure I'll manage, at least this would stop me over preparing and stressing myself out before I even start.

xxx
Original post by kpwxx
That sounds positive, much moreso than your previous position! Pitch will definitely come with experience... it's so hard to pitch to a class you don't know yet.

I am eagerly awaiting a call about a possible Nursery Teacher job till xmas... they are very very busy atm so it's taking a while understandably, but it's so nerve wracking!!! I want to know, so I can start preparing if I have it. It's scary to think I could start next week and know nothing about the children and very little about the way they work things at that school! But I'm sure I'll manage, at least this would stop me over preparing and stressing myself out before I even start.

xxx

I teach nursery, if you need any help I am a PM away :smile: xx
I'm a week into my primary pgce, we're starting by doing 3 weeks in uni doing core subjects, teacher studies and PDR, we then have a short placement on phonics and early years reading, I'm excited!

Just reading up on science and subject knowledge and how to deliver it to a class, I really wanna get stuck in now and start planning lessons,

It's quite a long drive to and from my uni, about an hour in a lot of traffic, and you know every time I drive home in the evenings, I really feel genuinely happy and overwhelmed that I've been given a spot on a pgce and a chance to follow my career :-) hard work and determination really do pay off!

X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Completed the 2 weeks of induction on my secondary English course.

Wednesday of next week I will start at my first school placement, initially observing for a few weeks then moving on to shared teaching and then finally solo teaching.

Nervous and excited now! Only found out where I'd be going today and it's quite a reasonable distance from where I live - maybe a 25 minute bus journey if traffic is bad. There were a few myths flying round that someone could be sent to the Isle of Man and other places this morning haha.

Everyone on my course is great, tutor is nice and helpful.

Have very limited experience in schools so it's all a bit overwhelming right now but definitely looking forward to next week and the challenges to come.
Glad you guys are enjoying your PGCE so far. Try to keep hold of the optimism even when it gets harder towards the end of the year, you'll really need it. I was so miserable for my last few weeks but I'm so happy in my job now it's untrue. Feel free to check out the blog I'm keeping about being an NQT, some of what you've got to look forward to, or just some anecdotal stuff to laugh at from someone who's been where you guys are at now :-)

http://wimpynqt.blogspot.co.uk/
Reply 2411
Original post by balloon_parade
I teach nursery, if you need any help I am a PM away :smile: xx

Thank you! I have now got an interview on Tuesday, got to take over for an hour so hoping they'll let me go in to see the routines on Monday as I have no idea what routines and structure they are used to.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finding things very hard today.
Finding things very hard today.

Sorry to hear that. Feel free to vent!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Sorry to hear that. Feel free to vent!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It seems like the honeymoon period is over after 1 week. I just don't know how to get through to the kids in English. All I want is for them to sit and listen for 5 minutes. They're 7 years old, so should be able to follow simple instructions. Today has gone from bad to worse. Firstly my nursery class were just too loud and wouldn't sit still. Then my primary 2 class were too chatty. I feel like I'm loosing the battle already. Really don't want a repeat of last year.
It seems like the honeymoon period is over after 1 week. I just don't know how to get through to the kids in English. All I want is for them to sit and listen for 5 minutes. They're 7 years old, so should be able to follow simple instructions. Today has gone from bad to worse. Firstly my nursery class were just too loud and wouldn't sit still. Then my primary 2 class were too chatty. I feel like I'm loosing the battle already. Really don't want a repeat of last year.

I kind of know how you feel. I'm really struggling with a year 8 maths group, they're off the wall! My advice would be to remain consistent and always follow through if you say you're going to do something. Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2416

That's probably just the excitement of a new teacher wearing off and they're starting to test the boundaries with you a bit more. I understand it's very hard (I find it very hard to stay confident when they aren't doing what I ask!) but you just have to keep ploughing through and being very consistent with the rules. Plus be very positive, praising good behaviour and they will soon pick up on it.

When you say nursery are they the 7 year olds?

If they just won't be quiet as a class for a few minutes, try stopping and doing something else. A friend of a friend shouts 'STOP! Everybody dance!' and then they all get up and do a crazy dance. It gets everyone's attention and wakes them up, plus it avoids the awkwardness of you letting them see that it's getting to you. It's kind of a 'They sense the weakness!' thing lol.

I remember this one lesson with Key stage 1 where I literally couldn't get the class quiet, as soon as one child started listening another would start talking. I tried so many tactics, starting with positiveness and praising good role models... even had a timer on for time missed from break until they were quiet, it ran to more than ten minutes. It was so ridiculous, and incredibly frustrating because I only wanted to explain the lesson for 5 minutes max but instead they ended up waiting for much longer!!! And I felt so bad for the few who sat perfectly waiting. This was on placement and afterwards the teacher had a bit of a rant at the worst offenders, as she was disappointed with them. In hindsight I think I should have been a bit tougher with them, also I could have chosen those sitting well and explained a task to them and sent them off to do it. Or maybe brought up a fun activity and chosen those sitting well to come and do it (eg. game on the IWB... a more concrete reward than just praise). Also I could have followed through more with sanctions for each individual, even if that meant a lot of sanctions! It might have made them stop and realise I really needed them ready to learn then.

I guess what I'm trying to say by sharing this anecdote is, it happens to us all! And it feels awful when it happens. But it doesn't mean you're a bad teacher or you'll never get it. It can even happen when you're usually great at it. You just have to keep going through, don't bear grudges - have a fresh start next lesson/after break to show you believe in them and trust they can make good choices.

xxx
I never feel good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I never feel good enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I don't mean to be mean or discouraging but it seems you've been making posts like this on here for a long time now. Are you sure teaching, at least in your current position, is for you?
It doesn't seem like you're receiving much guidance from colleagues or mentors and you've been talking about these same problems for over a year. It just seems like it's affecting your health and no job is worth that.
The class I'm in for placement now (Y1) uses a tamborine to gain attention when the class is getting rowdy. Works a treat!

Quick Reply