The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by manupalace
Sorry, for some reason I assumed you were a school leaver. I've no idea how good the PS helpers are on this site as I've never used them. Feel free to send me your PS if you want and I'll look over it (my I'll be doing the Imperial GEM). PM me if you want this (ideally in the next week as I start on the 30th) and I'll send you my email address.

Good luck with the UKCAT, as your right it is really important to do well (especially if you haven't done the GAMSAT). The important thing with Imperial is consistency, as you need 640 in each section, it doesn't seem that high but so many people slip up in at least one section (usually VR).

Also not sure if you're on the GEP applicants thread, but your likely to get better advice there, and no one will assume you're a school leaver :wink:

Thank you again. I would rep you but this site won't let me!!
Original post by SusieShire
I'm probably sending my UCAS off at some point this week but I'm kinda worried about my PS. It's really work experience/voluntary work based, mostly talking about what I learnt from those experiences. There's one or two lines about hobbies and nothing about extracurricular reading/attending lectures which I have done I just don't have the room to fit it in! Do you think it'll be okay? :/ I know I can talk about stuff at interview but I need to get interviews first!

I am the exact same. My PS is sososo work exp based, I don't know what admission tutors will make of it. Particularly as my extra circs really don't add up to much! If it helps, I got an interview at Liverpool last year despite that... and I'm pretty sure the extra cirricular stuff is just a tick-boxing exercise, whereas the "doctor stuff" is more about reflection and what you learnt I guess...

Someone more experienced / PS helper : feel free to chime in!
Reply 1782
Original post by ameelia22
I am the exact same. My PS is sososo work exp based, I don't know what admission tutors will make of it. Particularly as my extra circs really don't add up to much! If it helps, I got an interview at Liverpool last year despite that... and I'm pretty sure the extra cirricular stuff is just a tick-boxing exercise, whereas the "doctor stuff" is more about reflection and what you learnt I guess...

Someone more experienced / PS helper : feel free to chime in!

Well obviously it depends on where you're applying, if it's heavy ones like BSMS and Keele, just focus on nailing the key areas they're looking for in their website. I know this can be a pain as it's so subjective so try get more people to read it to cover your bases. :smile:
Reply 1783
Anyone decided where they are going to apply yet? :smile:
Reply 1784
Hi ,
How do you write personal statement if your applying to different courses? For e.g I want to apply for both biomedical science and physical therapy . Do I generalise and find a similarity in between the two ? These two courses particularly appeal to me and I am not putting neither of them as a last choice .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by richtea5
Anyone decided where they are going to apply yet? :smile:

Yup! St George's, King's, Dundee, Manchester and Newcastle for Biomed! I'm sending my UCAS off this week :eek:
Reply 1786
Can someone help :/, I've made three choices but not my last..
Reply 1787
Original post by MX123
Can someone help :/, I've made three choices but not my last..

Whereabouts you thinking and what are your stats? :tongue:
Reply 1788
Original post by PG593
Whereabouts you thinking and what are your stats? :tongue:

GCSE: A*AAABBB
A Levels: A*A*A*b (chem bio maths and AS history
UKCAT: 720 band 1

so far Aberdeen, Barts, Keele just dont know the last one...
Reply 1789
Original post by MX123
GCSE: A*AAABBB
A Levels: A*A*A*b (chem bio maths and AS history
UKCAT: 720 band 1

so far Aberdeen, Barts, Keele just dont know the last one...

Good stats, esp on your A levels. How about St. Andrews, Exeter or Glasgow? I think you'd stand a good chance at those :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1790
Original post by PG593
Good stats, esp on your A levels. How about St. Andrews, Exeter or Glasgow? I think you'd stand a good chance at those :smile:

Thanks, Yeah I'll look into those schools
Reply 1791
Original post by Shaimaa95
Hello all :smile:

I'm a reapplicant too and this time round I'm thinking of applying for all safe options.
7A*S and 5A's (that includes A's in the english lang/lit, if you're curious) at GCSE, and AAAa at A level. UKCAT 665 (under 500 on VR :frown: but high on all else :smile:)

Just want to know your thoughts on good unis to apply to with my profile :confused:.. would be appreciated!

Check Bristol and Manchester
Has anybody who has been using the Kaplan revision materials been finding the quizzes really difficult? I find the timing and the general difficulty of the questions so much harder than the full mocks/ questions from other resources!!
Reply 1793
Original post by lovelycup7
Has anybody who has been using the Kaplan revision materials been finding the quizzes really difficult? I find the timing and the general difficulty of the questions so much harder than the full mocks/ questions from other resources!!

I have just got my login today so il be starting those soon! Have you attempted any mocks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shaimaa95
Hey, does General Studies a level count towards your ucas points?

Actually I'm not entirely sure. I think you should go the the Barts and The London medicine thread on here and ask there.
Reply 1795
Yup! St George's, King's, Dundee, Manchester and Newcastle for Biomed! I'm sending my UCAS off this week :eek:

noice I had an interview at Manch last year if there's anything general you were wondering about interview :smile:
how come you're already sending it off though? i've only just done UKCAT so finishing off PS and MAKING UCAS account this week :s
Hi guys,

How are you all getting on with your personal statement? I am mainly using last year's one but just making a few changes to it. Also, should I write a separate paragraph for gap year, because I have recently got a job as a care assistant at a care home where I volunteered last year so I was thinking of writing about the two together, meaning in one paragraph write about the volunteer work and job. Do you think that's okay? And any suggestions on how I should start to talk about the gap year?

:smile:
noice I had an interview at Manch last year if there's anything general you were wondering about interview :smile:
how come you're already sending it off though? i've only just done UKCAT so finishing off PS and MAKING UCAS account this week :s

How was the manch interview? Was it tricky? The group interview is certaintly going to be interesting!

Because I decided there's no point waiting until closer to the deadline if there's nothing left to do. My reference has been written, UKCAT done, form filled, choices chosen, all I'm doing now is refining my PS. Once I've sent it off I'm going to really focus my energies on getting a job! How was the group interview? The only group interview I've ever had was at ASDA, managed to pass the interview though :redface:
Reply 1799
x

Fair does :smile: the group interview i thought was challenging and quite daunting but it doesn't really count towards your score- I think don't be too bossy/arrogant basically (some people do try and completely control the discussion) and obviously don't sit there silently, I'm speculating but I think these are the only ways the actual group part could be detrimental to you're chances of offer. I kind of was trying to get a word in but didn't make great points+repeated a bit :s so i'd say wait for oppurtunity and in this time come up with a good point or two :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest