The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've just found out that my school have decided that they want me to get a remark for AQA English Literature. I'm 5 UMS off an A, is it likely to go up? also, when will I get the result back?
Original post by SH0405
Your results are extremely good, and are good enough to get into Cambridge, HOWEVER; they are borderline (i.e. many people aiming for cambridge get around the 9-14 A* mark). If you work hard, of course you can get into Cambridge, but you'll need to work EXTREMELY hard with "only" 5 A*s at GCSE. Good Luck.

Thanks
guys, if you want to know if it's good enough for cambridge/oxford or any other university, just check the course on their website and what their GCSE requirements are. It depends on what subject you want to do.

For example, the average proportion of A*'s at GCSE for an average medicine candidate at oxford and cambridge is 90%.
Cambridge look mostly at the UMS attained at AS level (usually they want around 93-95% in the 4 subjects) as well as good GCSE's. Oxford don't look at UMS but more at GCSE's, I don't know the specific minimum amount of A's needed but look for it yourselves.
If you want to apply to a certain course, you should have at least the energy to look at the requirements. This will also allow you to gauge how much work you need to put in right now and not leave it 'til the end of the year and find out that you can't apply because your AS levels/GCSE's were not good enough.

This is not to discourage you as these are MINIMUM requirements, because candidates with lower amounts of A*'s have got in but that is because their AS level grades allowed them to be accepted AND also personal statements AND entrance tests AND interview. btw still talking about medicine. other courses want different requirements - look them up!

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that GCSE's are not the sole factor for getting into university. They are just a minimum requirement. In a few months time, no one will really care about what you got at GCSE, so long as you meet the MINIMUM requirements (e.g. 3 A's in sciences and A in eng lang for X course at Y university).
I would say that AS levels are a VERY IMPORTANT factor for university applications so make sure you work hard for those so that you can get predicted high A2 grades, with which, the uni's are more likely to select you.
Reply 8803
Hey guys, does anyone know what AQA are like with remarks? Particularly in french and religious studies? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinjaPandaa
remark came back, I went up one mark but I needed to go up three :colonhash:

what exam..and exam board ?

my english lang and lit ones havent come back yet :frown:
i need to go up 3 marks each ....

ryan
Reply 8805
Original post by Olympiad
I miss geography :frown:

ICT, history and Politics

You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

im taking the exact same subjects:biggrin:
Original post by ryanb97
what exam..and exam board ?

my english lang and lit ones havent come back yet :frown:
i need to go up 3 marks each ....

ryan

AQA English Language, I think I'm one of the only people in my school whose English Lit or Lang mark changed at all during remarking, everyone else has stayed the exact same aha
Original post by NinjaPandaa
AQA English Language, I think I'm one of the only people in my school whose English Lit or Lang mark changed at all during remarking, everyone else has stayed the exact same aha

oh gosh ... i had a bit of hope then

How long did the remark take.... mine was AQAas well ...
i think i put mine in around 2 weeks ago now..

Ryan
Original post by ryanb97
oh gosh ... i had a bit of hope then

How long did the remark take.... mine was AQAas well ...
i think i put mine in around 2 weeks ago now..

Ryan

mine came back in less than a week, I presume my school must have sent it off on the same day I gave the form in
Reply 8809
Hey guys, does anyone know what AQA are like with remarks? Particularly in french and religious studies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8810
I got 9A* and 2Bs in English Language and Literature.
One of the A* was in Japanese ( I am Japanese so realistically 8A*)

I am hoping to read Biological Science at Oxford.
I've been in UK for 5 years so English is my weakness, I am thinking of resitting English so I get at least an A.

There were about 32 people in my school who got more than 8A*.
Are these good enough?
Original post by alexSH

I've been in UK for 5 years so English is my weakness, I am thinking of resitting English so I get at least an A.

Are these good enough?

Nope 8a*s is not enough, you need at least 20!
Reply 8812
Original post by Sonnyjimisgod
Nope 8a*s is not enough, you need at least 20!

I was more worried about 2Bs in English!
Original post by alexSH

Are these good enough?

They seem good to me - if I remember correctly, most Oxbridge applicants offer around 70% A*s GCSE, so you should be fine! The Bs in English Lang + Lit shouldn't be too much of a disadvantage, especially given that you got A*s in the sciences and maths.
If I were you I'd focus on your A-levels now, and try to get the best grades you can - on the whole universities aren't too fussed about GCSE results unless they were abysmal, which yours aren't by any stretch of the imagination.
Original post by alexSH

Are these good enough?

wow those are good, what school you at?
Is 1 A*, 3As, 5Bs and a C abysmal for universities such as Warwick, LSE, Cambridge, Chicago or MIT, despite really, really good A-levels? For Economics & Finance?
Original post by Georgiecat
They seem good to me - if I remember correctly, most Oxbridge applicants offer around 70% A*s GCSE, so you should be fine! The Bs in English Lang + Lit shouldn't be too much of a disadvantage, especially given that you got A*s in the sciences and maths.
If I were you I'd focus on your A-levels now, and try to get the best grades you can - on the whole universities aren't too fussed about GCSE results unless they were abysmal, which yours aren't by any stretch of the imagination.
Original post by Wisefire
Is 1 A*, 3As, 5Bs and a C abysmal for universities such as Warwick, LSE, Cambridge, Chicago or MIT, despite really, really good A-levels? For Economics & Finance?

Your grades aren't abysmal by normal terms, but all the unis you've listed are really hard to get into, so you might find they're slightly below average in the cohort of applicants - but that depends on what you define as 'really, really good' A-levels. If we're talking A*AA and above, maybe even AAA, you should be okay because - if you show significant improvement - universities are prepared to turn a blind eye to GCSE results. You might struggle with MIT, however, because entry is so competitive, but I'm not sure how much American universities look at GCSE results, so I could be completely wrong. As you're applying to Economics and Finance, what grade did you get in maths GCSE? And also, what was the C in?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8817
GCSEs: 4A*s, 7As and 3Bs - my dream is to go to Cambridge. I would love to do maths or something science based. What are the chances of getting in? Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Got an A* in Bio, 3As in Maths, Eng Lit and Geog, the Bs in Spanish, Drama, History, Physics and Eng Lang, and the C in Chemistry. Yeah, my definition is basically just going all out, and bothering and aiming for 90%+ UMS throughout, basically. I also got an A in the HPQ (a shorter EPQ basically).
Original post by Georgiecat
Your grades aren't abysmal by normal terms, but all the unis you've listed are really hard to get into, so you might find they're slightly below average in the cohort of applicants - but that depends on what you define as 'really, really good' A-levels. If we're talking A*AA and above, maybe even AAA, you should be okay because - if you show significant improvement - universities are prepared to turn a blind eye to GCSE results. You might struggle with MIT, however, because entry is so competitive, but I'm not sure how much American universities look at GCSE results, so I could be completely wrong. As you're applying to Economics and Finance, what grade did you get in maths GCSE? And also, what was the C in?
Original post by Wisefire
Got an A* in Bio, 3As in Maths, Eng Lit and Geog, the Bs in Spanish, Drama, History, Physics and Eng Lang, and the C in Chemistry. Yeah, my definition is basically just going all out, and bothering and aiming for 90%+ UMS throughout, basically. I also got an A in the HPQ (a shorter EPQ basically).

Okay, you got a pretty good grade in maths - in that case, the majority of unis should be fine with your GCSE grades, especially if you were to get 90%UMS in all your subjects at A-level!

Latest