The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1800
Original post by NikoB
How was the manch interview? Was it tricky? The group interview is certaintly going to be interesting!

I said a bit bout group part above :smile: I think it wasn't my cup o' tea but it wasn't especially 'tricky' in terms of the interview its self same as anywhere really but I'd say because of the relatively short time you get at each station stay focused on medicine- very important- obvs i wasn't successful- I left feeling like it was a bus stop conversation, as in very friendly and nicely paced but I realised I hadn't talked about myself/ medicine very much at all :frown:
Reply 1801
OKAY LADS! I achieved AAAa in my a-levels and suppose I achieve 700+ in my UKCAT, will it make any sense to apply to Barts or Kingsy?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1802
I know for my sure I am not the candidate with beastly stats left right and centre, but truthfully, kings and barts are the unis that I would actually want to go to.
Original post by ynm1
OKAY LADS! I achieved AAAa in my a-levels and suppose I achieve 700+ in my UKCAT, will it make any sense to apply to Barts or Kingsy?

Do you have any other qualifications (EPQ, music, drama etc) that would count for UCAS tariff points? If not, you're going to struggle for Barts as they're looking for a minimum of 460 UCAS points (and many applicants are way above this threshold).

Kings would depend more on GCSEs.
Reply 1804
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Do you have any other qualifications (EPQ, music, drama etc) that would count for UCAS tariff points? If not, you're going to struggle for Barts as they're looking for a minimum of 460 UCAS points (and many applicants are way above this threshold).

Kings would depend more on GCSEs.

Nope and my gcses are fairly weak. I think it stupid that QM are asking for 460 ucas points which is a lot more than there standard offer.
Original post by richtea5
I said a bit bout group part above :smile: I think it wasn't my cup o' tea but it wasn't especially 'tricky' in terms of the interview its self same as anywhere really but I'd say because of the relatively short time you get at each station stay focused on medicine- very important- obvs i wasn't successful- I left feeling like it was a bus stop conversation, as in very friendly and nicely paced but I realised I hadn't talked about myself/ medicine very much at all :frown:

Thanks for your experience, yeah I would imagine some would dominate. I'm not usually loud but I ain't gonna sit back :angry: :tongue:

Yeah I hate MMI but that's how our OSCEs are gonna be like during medical school :/
Reply 1806
OK, my stats are A*A*A*A*BBBBBC and 2 distinctions at GCSEs, AAAa at A-level and yet do the UKCAT. So far I've decided that I will apply to Leeds, Leicester and Belfast. Anyone have any objections or know which one should be my last uni?
Original post by ynm1
OK, my stats are A*A*A*A*BBBBBC and 2 distinctions at GCSEs, AAAa at A-level and yet do the UKCAT. So far I've decided that I will apply to Leeds, Leicester and Belfast. Anyone have any objections or know which one should be my last uni?

Leicester use the UKCAT a lot, so wait until to sit the exam first.
Reply 1808
Original post by NikoB
Leicester use the UKCAT a lot, so wait until to sit the exam first.

Thanks pal! Got any ideas for the last one? I'm thinking of adding glasglow to the list.
Reply 1809
Original post by ynm1
Thanks pal! Got any ideas for the last one? I'm thinking of adding glasglow to the list.

If you get a good score preferably 700+, then yeah Glasgow would be a good choice :smile:
Reply 1810
So excited and relieved, UCAS sent off last night :tongue:, it's going to be a long 6 months from here on out. Must resist checking track/emails every hour :redface:
Reply 1811
Original post by NikoB
How was the manch interview? Was it tricky? The group interview is certaintly going to be interesting!

Heads up for Manchester, they told me a few weeks ago me they're planning on scrapping their interview style this year, no more group interviews, just a pure MMI now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wondering if anyone can give me some valuable advice!

I am reapplying for medicine again this year and am absolutely terrified of not getting in again after working so hard!! :frown:

I got AABC at AS level, and knowing I had to raise my game I managed to get AAA at A2 in Bio Chem and Sociology. This left me with AAAc.

How important are my AS results?

My overall UKCAT score is 2640.

I'm a volunteer at a care home and have just yesterday been offered a job as a carer there as a result. I also have a job as a waitress.
I have 3 weeks of work experience.

I was a "house music captain" in school and took part in a World Challenge expedition.

I really feel my application is completely improved from last year but am still scared it is not competitive enough, although I don't know what else I can give.
My school UCAS deadline is in a week.

I want to apply to Cardiff Liverpool Leeds and Dundee.

So the classic question I am asking... am I good enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kc7
Heads up for Manchester, they told me a few weeks ago me they're planning on scrapping their interview style this year, no more group interviews, just a pure MMI now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's promising, the group interview imo isn't a great representation of teamwork, there's an edge of competitiveness which will skew the results,
Reply 1814
Hey Everyone

Just about to send off my UCAS and thought I might get people opinions on choices... AHHH Its just so hard to pick!! Im an Occupational Therapist with 2years post qualifying experience and a pretty ok personal statement with volunteering bits and different placement experience but I only managed to get 675 on the UKCAT! I was planning on the graduate entry but am thinking now that Id have a much better chance at the 5year. was going with
1. Southampton 4year
2. Leicester 4year
3. Warwick 4year
4. Southampton 5year

From your experince am I being naive??? And if so has anyone got any suggestions on unis that look for experince more than ukcat???
Reall appreciate any feedback!!!
Original post by OT23
Hey Everyone

Just about to send off my UCAS and thought I might get people opinions on choices... AHHH Its just so hard to pick!! Im an Occupational Therapist with 2years post qualifying experience and a pretty ok personal statement with volunteering bits and different placement experience but I only managed to get 675 on the UKCAT! I was planning on the graduate entry but am thinking now that Id have a much better chance at the 5year. was going with
1. Southampton 4year
2. Leicester 4year
3. Warwick 4year
4. Southampton 5year

From your experince am I being naive??? And if so has anyone got any suggestions on unis that look for experince more than ukcat???
Reall appreciate any feedback!!!

You're better asking this in the graduate medicine thread as all of us here are school leavers
Original post by Dr.Ugs
I have just got my login today so il be starting those soon! Have you attempted any mocks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done mocks 1-4, and I've had a bite of a range of results. But I actually lost quite a bit of my progress and didn't get to do all sections the first time round, because I wasn't using a wired connection :colonhash: So I'd advise you to use a wired connection from the start if you can! They will reset the tests for you, but it's really frustrating when you lose your progress cos you can't go through your answers.
When's your exam? :smile:
Reply 1817
Original post by lovelycup7
I've done mocks 1-4, and I've had a bite of a range of results. But I actually lost quite a bit of my progress and didn't get to do all sections the first time round, because I wasn't using a wired connection :colonhash: So I'd advise you to use a wired connection from the start if you can! They will reset the tests for you, but it's really frustrating when you lose your progress cos you can't go through your answers.
When's your exam? :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile:
4th wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1818
Do you think i got a change at manchester?
GCSE: 1A*, 5 as, 4 bs
Already achieved AAAa
Ukcat: 665
Original post by kc7

Posted from TSR Mobile

I cant find any details of the mmi on Manchesters website, where did you get this info?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending