The Student Room Group

Is 'Calculations in A Level Chemistry' by Jim Clark, good?

I'm not really sure if it's worth buying but it seems very highly recommended. I'm currently on a B/A grade at the moment and need an A/A* at A2, and I don't struggle with the maths tbh, I get the molar calculations frequently wrong though due to silly mistakes. I have an A at maths AS but did find it ridiculously difficult at some points so I could definitely do with improvement. Is it worth buying if you have it, or not?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I was also considering buying this book, the reviews aid this. This is the book that was written by the chemguide guy, if I am not mistaken?
Reply 2
Original post by Magenta96
I'm not really sure if it's worth buying but it seems very highly recommended. I'm currently on a B/A grade at the moment and need an A/A* at A2, and I don't struggle with the maths tbh, I get the molar calculations frequently wrong though due to silly mistakes. I have an A at maths AS but did find it ridiculously difficult at some points so I could definitely do with improvement. Is it worth buying if you have it, or not?

Original post by twisted
I was also considering buying this book, the reviews aid this. This is the book that was written by the chemguide guy, if I am not mistaken?

Best book to get for chemistry calculations! I felt that the calculation questions were not enough for me to practise on (before hitting the exams) and i bought this book as recommended by chemguide and also my teacher. Best thing i ever did and this secured me an A for the paper i sat leading to a A overall.

Cant recommend this stuff enough! best investment you'll make!
Reply 3
Check his website instead of the book
Reply 4
Original post by chemicalX
Best book to get for chemistry calculations! I felt that the calculation questions were not enough for me to practise on (before hitting the exams) and i bought this book as recommended by chemguide and also my teacher. Best thing i ever did and this secured me an A for the paper i sat leading to a A overall.

Cant recommend this stuff enough! best investment you'll make!

Tempting. If it weren't so expensive I'd buy it in a heart beat but the hefty price is leaving me indecisive. Is the book more explanatory through text or through example? Also, does it have a reasonable amount of practice questions? Thanks for the recommendation.
Reply 5
Original post by twisted
Tempting. If it weren't so expensive I'd buy it in a heart beat but the hefty price is leaving me indecisive. Is the book more explanatory through text or through example? Also, does it have a reasonable amount of practice questions? Thanks for the recommendation.

It has both! lots of explanation and lots of worked through examples of every type of question they could give you so its a matter of learning through practise.

Check on ebay, it might be cheaper there.
Reply 6
Original post by chemicalX
It has both! lots of explanation and lots of worked through examples of every type of question they could give you so its a matter of learning through practise.

Check on ebay, it might be cheaper there.

Did you use it mainly for A2 calculations or AS?
Reply 7
Original post by twisted
Did you use it mainly for A2 calculations or AS?

I only got the book in my second module of A2 and it was great. However it has lots of as and a2 content so I am assuming it must be brilliant for all modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
It will be very good for A-level calculations and cover everything easily, with lots of practice questions, but is not a good foundation for studies above A-level. He once assumed that sulphuric acid has 2 strong dissociations.
Reply 9

Yes yes yes! I bought it, its amazing! Buy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Thank you everyone for your opinions, I've ordered it! :smile:
Reply 11

Great, you wouldn't regret it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12

Seems a bit late since you've ordered the book :tongue: I think you don't really need to buy a specific book for calculations. The most complex maths is working out PH of buffers and that isn't hard after some practise. In chem5 you cant really learn the calculations, it's more about deducting what to do with the information you have and you can't learn that.
Reply 13
Original post by Nitrogen
Seems a bit late since you've ordered the book :tongue: I think you don't really need to buy a specific book for calculations. The most complex maths is working out PH of buffers and that isn't hard after some practise. In chem5 you cant really learn the calculations, it's more about deducting what to do with the information you have and you can't learn that.

The mathematics ifself might not be hard but its understanding the calculations that can be a problem. You make it sound like they say given x and y concentrations , solve the equation to find the pH.
It's not a mathematics paper therfore they will not focus too much on mathematical ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Arieisit
The mathematics ifself might not be hard but its understanding the calculations that can be a problem. You make it sound like they say given x and y concentrations , solve the equation to find the pH.
It's not a mathematics paper therfore they will not focus too much on mathematical ability.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know, because I've done it before. Im trying to say that you'll understand the calculations fairly quick after doing some questions. In an exam you'll have to be fully able to understand what a question is asking and what calculations to preform. You can know all the calculations, the hard thing is knowing when to apply them and I think you can't learn these skills through a book.
Reply 15
Loads of people at my college seem to like this book. I don't understand why class notes are not enough tbh :dontknow:
Reply 16
Original post by Nitrogen
I know, because I've done it before. Im trying to say that you'll understand the calculations fairly quick after doing some questions. In an exam you'll have to be fully able to understand what a question is asking and what calculations to preform. You can know all the calculations, the hard thing is knowing when to apply them and I think you can't learn these skills through a book.

Yes you can. I did, I got an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Arieisit
Yes you can. I did, I got an A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough if you prefer a book.
Reply 18

Great book for Hess law, net happy changes etc calculations :smile:. For the wordy stuff you need to learn use his site.:smile:
I bought the book last year, but never used it once for AS since the calculations weren't all that bad. I think it may come in handy at A2 more

Quick Reply

Latest