The Student Room Group

When does the driving adrenaline wear off?

I have always loved driving. I have been driving for a year now and I still love it, so I find it weird when people say they find driving really boring, like my mum. She hates driving long journeys and driving in general so I thought maybe its an age thing. Ie the rush will wear off soon.

What are your experiences? Do you enjoy driving? For people who have driven for a long time, did the rush ever die down?

Edit; Hmm, I just realised this question would be more suited for the motoring section...if a mod is reading can you move it? Thnx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Why does that matter? I have a vauxhall corsa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2710
I have always loved driving. I have been driving for a year now and I still love it, so I find it weird when people say they find driving really boring, like my mum. She hates driving long journeys and driving in general so I thought maybe its an age thing. Ie the rush will wear off soon.

What are your experiences? Do you enjoy driving? For people who have driven for a long time, did the rush ever die down?

Edit; Hmm, I just realised this question would be more suited for the motoring section...if a mod is reading can you move it? Thnx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everytime you get in the car, are you like "OH YEAH!! WOOO! I F****** love driving!
Reply 3
Nah just a normal corsa :P
Original post by wookierookie
Everytime you get in the car, are you like "OH YEAH!! WOOO! I F****** love driving!

Yes I am lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2710
Nah just a normal corsa :P

Yes I am lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then imagine what you are going to be like when you become a train driver.
I'm in my early 20s, been driving for a few months now and I find it tedious as ****. Lessons were fun and the first few drives on my own were exciting, but the novelty wore of very quickly.
I've been driving a year and I still like it. Don't really like driving in unfamiliar areas but I enjoy the buzz of driving in rush hour, dodging bad drivers and getting onto a clear road after you've been stuck in traffic. Sounds odd aha.
Reply 7
Depends what you're doing...

Sitting @ 70-80mph on a motorway for mile after mile is incredibly boring.
However, if you happen to be taking the scening route and giving it large between corners - well, that's a bit different.

Having said that, you don't always want to be driving at 100% and having a car that you have to really "drive" isn't always what you want. Doing motorway speeds in something that rides quite harshly isn't a particularly nice experience. Similarly, trying to press on down a B road in something big and comfy is just like being in a boat when the swell is quite large.

Wait 'til you've got two or three cars. Chances are you're the sort of person that might enjoy track days and sprint / hill climb events.
Entirely depends upon my mood I guess...

But on the other hand, driving to the supermarket somewhat sucks. :smile:
I've had my license for a month and a half.. I love driving my car around. Being able to get from A to B independently is good in itself, but fundamentally I find driving really fun..
Reply 10
I enjoy driving because I enjoy cars. I've been driving for just over 2 years and don't find it boring at all. At the same time I don't get into my car and wet my pants a little bit with excitement.

I drive to work, I drive to friends, I regularly go on the motorway. Sounds more like you're just enjoying being an 'adult' than driving.

Plus there's two kind of people, ones who use their cars to get from A to B and ones who use their cars because they love cars. Your mum is clearly in the first category.
Original post by JC.

However, if you happen to be taking the scening route and giving it large between corners - well, that's a bit different.

Having said that, you don't always want to be driving at 100% and having a car that you have to really "drive" isn't always what you want. Doing motorway speeds in something that rides quite harshly isn't a particularly nice experience. Similarly, trying to press on down a B road in something big and comfy is just like being in a boat when the swell is quite large.

Wait 'til you've got two or three cars. Chances are you're the sort of person that might enjoy track days and sprint / hill climb events.

I like sitting on the motorway aha. For some reason I enjoy overtaking and swapping lanes lol.

I also like going fast.
Reply 12
Original post by JC.

I do understand what you mean, ive had many long journeys >2.5 hrs. I guess its physical exhaustion for me, but after a lil rest im all fired up again. And also, this is my second car. My first one broke after a few months, was a second hand car

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by 2710
I do understand what you mean, ive had many long journeys >2.5 hrs. I guess its physical exhaustion for me, but after a lil rest im all fired up again. And also, this is my second car. My first one broke after a few months, was a second hand car

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know how many cars I've had. Got to be getting on for 60 or so now.
Reply 14
After 20 years of driving this year, I'm quite happy to sit as a passenger especially now that my eldest can drive.

Each time I'm in England for business or work I normally take the train as I can't be bothered with driving cars I don't enjoy driving and my company doesn't pay for me to have a nice rented car. If I'm visiting my eldest I automatically head to the passenger seat, my eldest sometimes thinks I must be so tired that I forgot in Britain the cars are RHD. I'm insured to drive the car, in fact we spent a bit more to get her a nicer car as I thought I'd be driving it every now and then... heh for the last 11 months I drove it twice.

In Norway, when the weather is nice enough I normally ride my bicycle around Bergen. If it isn't that nice then I take one of the cars out and usually drive it just to the nearest public car park then use public transport. Sometimes I do drive in to the city if there is a need for it. If I'm going for classes, then I don't even bother I get my missus to drop me off when she sends off the kids to school. If I go out of town usually to Oslo then I will drive my Volvo C70 out if I'm going to be there for more than 2 days, usually will take the longest route and take my time to admire the scenery, usually use the car within Oslo for convenience purposes as I usually try to stay at one of the suburban local family owned inns rather than one of the big hotel chains. If we are going out together with the kids, then usually have to take turns to drive as my missus wouldn't approve if I made her the family driver........Scandinavian equality for you......sigh. However if my eldest is around then I get her to drive the Volvo XC90 and I tell her the journey there she is driving for me and the journey back she is driving for mamma :smile: I just sit at the back where I can't see the instrument panel and enjoy being a passenger, I just tell her not to put a dent or scratch on it or her mamma will be giving her an earful............just like old times :biggrin:
The only thing I don't like about driving is sharing the roads with people who can't ****ing drive!!

People who "enter their automobile" and haul it from A to B at precisely 28.5 MPH... usually young girls and old people.

1234 5555555555555555, brake, 432, turn, 1234 5555555555555555555555...

No wonder they get bored...

I jockey around almost every corner, 1 series is perfect for it, and nothing beats doing 120 down the M60 at 3 in the morning with no traffic blasting chillstep dreams vol.3
I have a motorcycle and have been riding a large bike for several years. I have to admit that I am getting fed up of biking to be honest. It seems there are too many drivers that think the speed limit is the edge of the earth, and I have to suffer due to the lack of opportunity to overtake. Today was a classic case in point, I overtook a car in a built up area (somethin I never do) without exceeding the speed limit. Theres also the caravans, tractors and other large and slow vehicles on the road. When ever im out on my bike I spend the vast majority of the time waiting for an opportunity to pass slower traffic. This is annoying as hell. On top of all this you get the erratic or dangerous drivers aswell as unpredictable animals or people that can interfere with a ride.
Reply 17
i am a rider too and i must say that i get a rush everytime i take it out.... never ceases to amaze me how happy riding makes me. hell i get a small rush driving home in my car when i know im going to go out riding
Original post by Laomedeia
I have a motorcycle and have been riding a large bike for several years. I have to admit that I am getting fed up of biking to be honest. It seems there are too many drivers that think the speed limit is the edge of the earth, and I have to suffer due to the lack of opportunity to overtake. Today was a classic case in point, I overtook a car in a built up area (somethin I never do) without exceeding the speed limit. Theres also the caravans, tractors and other large and slow vehicles on the road. When ever im out on my bike I spend the vast majority of the time waiting for an opportunity to pass slower traffic. This is annoying as hell. On top of all this you get the erratic or dangerous drivers aswell as unpredictable animals or people that can interfere with a ride.

Wow I drive at the speed limit and I am always being overtaken. The last time I had to overtake whilst travelling at the limit on the roads around here was a good few (6+) months ago (excluding motorways)
Reply 19
Original post by JC.
However, if you happen to be taking the scenic route and giving it large between corners - well, that's a bit different.

I mainly agree with this.
-The thing I like about driving is the freedom, driving down good roads on a nice day, turning into a friends driveway with everything I need for the weekend.
-What I struggle with, is as said, hours of motorway, when its dark, raining, heavy traffic, it can make you scream, I also get pains in my elbows which makes it worse.

That said, while I would hate to drive my daily commute here in Delhi, I am look forward to being able to drive myself again when back in the UK even on a crap motorway drive!

Rather oddly, I also quite like towing. It does wicked awful things to my average mpg on a trip (like 14, down from 38) but it sort of feels cool.
And obviously, there is just about nothing better in life than jumping in the kitcar and going for a drive in the sun. Cures even the worse blues!

Daniel

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending