The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Original post by lieseldante
I usually go out in Newcastle or Manchester (divorced parents) a.k.a Madchester, so yeah, I was already expecting it to be slightly different. Obviously us Northerners just know how to party. I'm happy as long as I can sing along and be slammed. Hip hop is my usual poison of choice, just cause it's the best to bust a move to. There's a Full Moon party at one of the clubs on the 6th, complete with neon, I with any luck there will be like-minded people at Fitz who'll come out with me!

5th Ave/Factory is fairly decent in Manchester so I usually end up on the second floor of Lola Lo in Cambridge (thursday night). The only warning I'll say is that some clubs (i.e. Fez) don't like it if you turn up a bit pissed, I've been turned away from there before (managed to get in a bit later using my northern charm...). I'm sure you'll find people who enjoy having a few (?!) drinks, and end up going out :tongue:

Original post by Oboe1994
Me too, it's the only way I can overcome my dislike of people I don't know D: also my dancing's pretty ****ing fabulous. And by that I mean the kind that actually causes guys to come out with "you're weird." Yep... Also high five for northerner x)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah man, I'm renowned for chucking out geometric shapes (a la Big fish Little fish Cardboard box :tongue: )
Original post by wibletg
A fellow northener! Shame you didn't pick the right college :wink: I'm at Jesus :tongue:

It's not as good as Newcastle, I have to say, but it's not about the place and more about the people you're with really :wink: plenty of cheesy stuff to belt your heart out if you fancy it, or more 'edgy' stuff elsewhere. Depends what music you like really!

To each, their own :tongue: Subject dinners are always great fun (the food is usually brilliant, and the free wine is often a bonus if you want to take advantage of it, but beware of making an idiot of yourself in front of your DoS!) but lectures during freshers aren't much fun :tongue:

Free wine doesn't interest me, but free food always does. :tongue: And I'll have all year to make an idiot of myself in front of the DoS, if that hasn't already been achieved by them looking at my STEP papers. :lol: The lectures I have are only introductory ones in college but they're still something.

Original post by Natalie21
Haha I'm with you on that one! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

This said after hearing the list of freebies a friend of mine got at their freshers fair (They even managed to get a brand new laptop bag :redface: ) I'm quite interested in that too. :lol:
Reply 402
Original post by wibletg
5th Ave/Factory is fairly decent in Manchester so I usually end up on the second floor of Lola Lo in Cambridge (thursday night). The only warning I'll say is that some clubs (i.e. Fez) don't like it if you turn up a bit pissed, I've been turned away from there before (managed to get in a bit later using my northern charm...). I'm sure you'll find people who enjoy having a few (?!) drinks, and end up going out :tongue:

Ah man, I'm renowned for chucking out geometric shapes (a la Big fish Little fish Cardboard box :tongue: )

Interpretive dancing to edm is my specialty...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Me too, it's the only way I can overcome my dislike of people I don't know D: also my dancing's pretty ****ing fabulous. And by that I mean the kind that actually causes guys to come out with "you're weird." Yep... Also high five for northerner x)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, defo, vodka is my sole method of socializing. All my mates at other Unis are already getting on with their Freshers and it look like so much fun! Then I look at my line-up and it's like "Fitzwilliam: A Brief History." Whoa, slow down, guys.

Same, I get a lot of "nice gesticulating". If you're not using your arms, you're not dancing. If I see another crazy dancer in the clubs, I'll know it's you.
Reply 404
Interpretive dancing to edm is my specialty...

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair, noone I know can dance :tongue:

Original post by DJMayes
Free wine doesn't interest me, but free food always does. :tongue: And I'll have all year to make an idiot of myself in front of the DoS, if that hasn't already been achieved by them looking at my STEP papers. :lol: The lectures I have are only introductory ones in college but they're still something.

Fair enough :tongue: yes, I ended up being called a 'blithering idiot' by my DoS but I think it was a term of endearment :tongue:
Original post by wibletg

That surprised me, 5th Ave and Factory are not the clubs I'd have thought someone would single out in Manchester. Deaf Institute and Antwerp Mansion are my favourites. Factory Thursdays are good because it's like a quid for the entire bar, though.

Cheers, I'll check out Lola Lo then! But dammit, predrinking is great.
Reply 406
Haha, defo, vodka is my sole method of socializing. All my mates at other Unis are already getting on with their Freshers and it look like so much fun! Then I look at my line-up and it's like "Fitzwilliam: A Brief History." Whoa, slow down, guys.

Same, I get a lot of "nice gesticulating". If you're not using your arms, you're not dancing. If I see another crazy dancer in the clubs, I'll know it's you.

Paha at least you don't have a book discussion group as part of your freshers. Not that that won't be interesting, but it's the only event I've heard of so far, and the amount of stick it's got me from my mates...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 407
That surprised me, 5th Ave and Factory are not the clubs I'd have thought someone would single out in Manchester. Deaf Institute and Antwerp Mansion are my favourites. Factory Thursdays are good because it's like a quid for the entire bar, though.

5 quid bottle of wine sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 408

Really? :tongue: why not?

I wouldn't worry though, if your Freshers' Timetable was anything like mine, they only had the clubbing events as a footnote at the end of each day, the rest of it was stuff like 'introduction to the Chapel' :smile:

You can predrink, as long as you don't overdo it, or if you do make sure you can convince the bouncer that you're not as drunk as you really are... (easier said than done :tongue: ). I've gotten into places when I couldn't read my phone screen properly anymore, and that's the last stage for me...
reading this thread i am so glad there are other people who like going out/drinking, i was worried everyone would be that stereotypical cambridge student (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not me!). i'm loving that the clubs in cambridge play cheesy music, there's nothing like belting out the lyrics to a classic on the dancefloor!
Original post by wibletg
To be fair, noone I know can dance :tongue:

Fair enough :tongue: yes, I ended up being called a 'blithering idiot' by my DoS but I think it was a term of endearment :tongue:

Why did they call you it? :tongue:
Reply 411
Original post by mischief-managed
reading this thread i am so glad there are other people who like going out/drinking, i was worried everyone would be that stereotypical cambridge student (not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not me!). i'm loving that the clubs in cambridge play cheesy music, there's nothing like belting out the lyrics to a classic on the dancefloor!

Awkward when you realise you know the words against your better judgement, like when One Direction came on and I realised I knew the verses...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 412
Original post by mischief-managed

Glad to be allaying some fears :tongue:

Original post by DJMayes
Why did they call you it? :tongue:

Er, I don't remember exactly what I did but I think I messed up a simple integration after 2 hours of supervision in a row :tongue:
I really hope there's gonna be actually partying and clubbing at Freshers. My timetable looks pretty dull and doesn't even mention themes for anything. Drinking is how I make friends!

I'm at Fitz too, from what I've gathered most people are like you there so don't worry :tongue: Have you checked out the Fitz Ents facebook page? That's basically entirely clubbing.

I'll be interested to see what Cambridge has to offer though - I'm strangely liking the idea of it being a bit cheesy, maybe I'm a little weird :tongue:
Original post by DJMayes
This discussion is an interesting juxtaposition to me - I'm looking most forward to the subject lunches and was ecstatic when I found out I was getting lectures during freshers...

Haha, same here! Honestly, I'm looking forward to just getting to work and doing some proper reading :biggrin:
Reply 415
Anybody started packing yet. ? All my mates have gone off to Uni and in middle of freshers week . I'm getting bored as last one left at home. Though going up to see a mate for the night who has just started at Leeds to sample freshers week tonight.
Paha at least you don't have a book discussion group as part of your freshers. Not that that won't be interesting, but it's the only event I've heard of so far, and the amount of stick it's got me from my mates...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hear you...

That being said, so far the other fresher's on the facebook page have got the plan down. Not looking forward to the whole matriculation and photo saturday morning...and the book discussion :lol:
Reply 417
Original post by Oromis263
I hear you...

That being said, so far the other fresher's on the facebook page have got the plan down. Not looking forward to the whole matriculation and photo saturday morning...and the book discussion :lol:

Is the book discussion not... optional? :tongue:
Original post by wibletg
Is the book discussion not... optional? :tongue:

Attendance isn't. Discussion is. :tongue: Reading the book also is (but I did read it like a month ago, and remember none of it..)
Reply 419
Original post by Oromis263
Attendance isn't. Discussion is. :tongue: Reading the book also is (but I did read it like a month ago, and remember none of it..)

So... don't attend if you don't want to...? :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending