The Student Room Group

Leicester Medical Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Guys, do you reckon the threshold for international students will be the same as the Home/EU students? or higher/lower?
Reply 341
Original post by Slsam
a ukcat of 2500-2599 scores 5 according to the score sheet.
Are you a pharmacist?

Ah...right I see, where did you find the score sheet?

and yes I am a pharmacist. You?
Reply 342
Original post by Ama2007
Ah...right I see, where did you find the score sheet?

and yes I am a pharmacist. You?

I'll see if I can attach it, never done it before though so we shall see.
That's cool, I'm a paediatric nurse :smile:
Reply 343
Original post by Slsam

Wrong attachment - thats the A100 sheet.

here is the grad score sheet
Reply 344
Original post by Slsam

Thanks.

Paediatric nurse, I very much appreciate their work:wink: without you guys hospitals could fall apart, honestly!

I did my training in kids hospital and worked very closely with paeds nurses, they were amazing they knew everything, everyone and were just awesome. PLUS they always made very nice cup cakes and chocolate cookies :biggrin: At least thats my experience!

I guess you guys have a lot of patient contact, so what made you go for medicine?
Reply 345
Original post by Ama2007
Thanks.

Paediatric nurse, I very much appreciate their work:wink: without you guys hospitals could fall apart, honestly!

I did my training in kids hospital and worked very closely with paeds nurses, they were amazing they knew everything, everyone and were just awesome. PLUS they always made very nice cup cakes and chocolate cookies :biggrin: At least thats my experience!

I guess you guys have a lot of patient contact, so what made you go for medicine?

Thanks, I should probably say I've only just qualified and only start my job on monday :P But yeah, lots of patient contact as a student. Haha sounds like you had a good experience of us :biggrin: I've only had a few -ve experiences with pharmacists, on the whole you lot are lovely. I don't envy you though.

A few reasons.. the skills/knowledge/specialties available compared to that of nursing in a nutshell.
Reply 346
Original post by Slsam
Thanks, I should probably say I've only just qualified and only start my job on monday :P But yeah, lots of patient contact as a student. Haha sounds like you had a good experience of us :biggrin: I've only had a few -ve experiences with pharmacists, on the whole you lot are lovely. I don't envy you though.

A few reasons.. the skills/knowledge/specialties available compared to that of nursing in a nutshell.

Well good luck for your job!
Every year someone from the NHS area I work for decides to leave pharmacy and go to medicine, I actually feel sorry for them because they train us (pre-reg) and all that stuff and then we turn into docs :colone: (hopefully!)

To be honest I know we are a grumpy bunch to work with because we end up cleaning after other people, like we are always chasing docs, nurses to change scripts and add new drugs and moan at them to not prescribe really expensive drugs. I would say pharmacist are the last safety net before the med gets to the patient.

In general I enjoyed working with other members of the team (docs, nurses, physio, comedians) more than with other pharmacists, just personal experience. I knew I was more suited to be a doc than a pharmacist than minute I found myself taking so much attention with patients, their diagnosis and physical examination. Plus I loved going into theater. It was pretty cool, but not as cool as in Holby city :tongue:

Is this your first time applying to medicine?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 347
Original post by k1rby
Which subjects got what grades at gcse?

Bio, chem, phys, maths, business studies, language, literature, pakistan studies -- A*
Art, additional maths, islamic studies, urdu -- A
Reply 348
Original post by Sazam
Bio, chem, phys, maths, business studies, language, literature, pakistan studies -- A*
Art, additional maths, islamic studies, urdu -- A

You've got 58 points then :smile:
Reply 349
Original post by Ama2007
Well good luck for your job!
Every year someone from the NHS area I work for decides to leave pharmacy and go to medicine, I actually feel sorry for them because they train us (pre-reg) and all that stuff and then we turn into docs :colone: (hopefully!)

To be honest I know we are a grumpy bunch to work with because we end up cleaning after other people, like we are always chasing docs, nurses to change scripts and add new drugs and moan at them to not prescribe really expensive drugs. I would say pharmacist are the last safety net before the med gets to the patient.

In general I enjoyed working with other members of the team (docs, nurses, physio, comedians) more than with other pharmacists, just personal experience. I knew I was more suited to be a doc than a pharmacist than minute I found myself taking so much attention with patients, their diagnosis and physical examination. Plus I loved going into theater. It was pretty cool, but not as cool as in Holby city :tongue:

Is this your first time applying to medicine?

I followed a pharmacist at a weekend once, enough to put me off ha :P
Yeah, theatre is pretty ace. I've been a scrub nurse, but i'd much rather have a go at being the one operating.

Yeah first time applying :smile:
Reply 350
Original post by Slsam
I followed a pharmacist at a weekend once, enough to put me off ha :P
Yeah, theatre is pretty ace. I've been a scrub nurse, but i'd much rather have a go at being the one operating.

Yeah first time applying :smile:

Dam! I made it sound so horrible!

Which unis are you going for? Its my second time applying and cannot face another year! My first was right after my pre-registration training year.
Reply 351
Do you think 58 points will guarantee an interview? Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StudentAT
Do you think 58 points will guarantee an interview? Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

The last couple of years it would have done. I wouldn't imagine the cut off would rise by 2 points so you should be pretty safe (it has been 57 last couple of years)
Reply 353
Anyone have any idea what sort of A101 cut off we're looking at for Leicester this year? I did my UKCAT today and didn't do as well as I had hoped which I am devastated about, nerves got the best of me and before I knew it I had lost so much time re-reading things that I had read whilst not concentrating due to panic. I think I have a 17/25 (maybe 18/25 if they decide 14 GCSEs are worth bumping me up a point). I have 6 months as HCA at a forensic mental health hospital and currently working as an HCA at an acute mental health hospital (which I have done 3 months at). Also just started doing some voluntary work with psychology teams for bereavement and in process of application for St John Ambulance. With a UKCAT of 678 I have written off all local universities except MAYBE A101 at leicester. But need some advice on whether it is even worth a try :frown: otherwise I will just wait until next cycle...
Original post by dC_^
Anyone have any idea what sort of A101 cut off we're looking at for Leicester this year? I did my UKCAT today and didn't do as well as I had hoped which I am devastated about, nerves got the best of me and before I knew it I had lost so much time re-reading things that I had read whilst not concentrating due to panic. I think I have a 17/25 (maybe 18/25 if they decide 14 GCSEs are worth bumping me up a point). I have 6 months as HCA at a forensic mental health hospital and currently working as an HCA at an acute mental health hospital (which I have done 3 months at). Also just started doing some voluntary work with psychology teams for bereavement and in process of application for St John Ambulance. With a UKCAT of 678 I have written off all local universities except MAYBE A101 at leicester. But need some advice on whether it is even worth a try :frown: otherwise I will just wait until next cycle...

It is hard to say. I have never seen them clarify exactly what their cutoff is for a101. You could try emailing them and asking what their cutoff was last year.
I do know they put more emphasis on your reference, ps and experience as a grad so it might not be out of the question. But email them and see what kind of cut off they are looking at
Reply 355
Original post by Amyk89
It is hard to say. I have never seen them clarify exactly what their cutoff is for a101. You could try emailing them and asking what their cutoff was last year.
I do know they put more emphasis on your reference, ps and experience as a grad so it might not be out of the question. But email them and see what kind of cut off they are looking at

Yeah I guess I might have to. I'm pretty sure the cut off will increase anyway with the UKCAT scores this cycle by the looks of things with AR and DA :frown:.
Original post by dC_^
Yeah I guess I might have to. I'm pretty sure the cut off will increase anyway with the UKCAT scores this cycle by the looks of things with AR and DA :frown:.

But VR has brought a lot of people down. Don't forget a lot of TSR is undergrad/dentistry and it does tend to have a slightly skewed view of population scores.

It can't hurt to apply, worse thing is you would have to try again next year (which you'll have to do anyway)
Reply 357
Leicester says that the more W/E the better (for grads), but there is only a space for 5 in the UCAS form. I am not sure which one to leave out or which one would be valued as caring role?

Private tutor (4 years) for children (mainly with learning difficulties like ADHD) and home schooling (very demanding kids)

OR

Summer placement (4 weeks) in a hospital pharmacy (dealing with patients all the time in a children's hospital, counselling patients/parents, doing projects, interacting with MDT members etc...)

I dont know which one is worth more or would get more points. I am leaning towards private tutor because its longer and its still ongoing where as the placement was 2 years ago ?

What do you think?
Reply 358
Original post by Ama2007
Leicester says that the more W/E the better (for grads), but there is only a space for 5 in the UCAS form. I am not sure which one to leave out or which one would be valued as caring role?

Private tutor (4 years) for children (mainly with learning difficulties like ADHD) and home schooling (very demanding kids)

OR

Summer placement (4 weeks) in a hospital pharmacy (dealing with patients all the time in a children's hospital, counselling patients/parents, doing projects, interacting with MDT members etc...)

I dont know which one is worth more or would get more points. I am leaning towards private tutor because its longer and its still ongoing where as the placement was 2 years ago ?

What do you think?

I would think the private tutor would be better for the reasons you've said but with A101 they might put more weighting on medically relevant work.
Reply 359
Got another FOI request back:

Previous pre-interview cut-off scores and how many people with a score of 56 got an interview: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/previous_cut_off_score_a100
1) What was the combined academic + UKCAT score cut-offs (out of 60) for interview selection?
We did not use a scoring system out of 60 for 2011 applications. 2011 used a scoring system based on academic, UKCAT, personal statement and reference, giving a combined score out of 40. For 2011 entry, a score of 34/40 was required in order to be invited for interview.
2012 entry was the first year we used a score out of 60. It is also worth noting that our scoring system changes annually and we do not know any threshold until we are in receipt of all applications. This is because applications are ranked and therefore, the threshold depends on the quality and quantity of applications we receive. In 2012 - a score of at least 55 and above was required to guarantee an interview. In 2013 - a score of at least 57 and above was required to guarantee an interview.

2) Which scores out of 60 also had their personal statement scored for interview selection if applicable to that UCAS cycle?
In 2011- As we were not using a scoring system out of 60 in 2011 we cannot answer this part of the request.
In 2012 - A small number of candidates scoring 54 were invited for interview on the basis of a further assessment of their application forms.
2013 - A small number of candidates scoring 56 were invited for interview on the basis of a further assessment of their application forms. Personal statements and references may also have been considered following interview.

3) For the UCAS 2013 cycle only, what percentage of applicants who scored 56 out of 60 (on the combined academic + UKCAT score)received an interview?
We offered invitations to interview to approximately 200 applicants who scored 56 (out of over 800 interviews). However, this may not have been a straight score of 56 from UKCAT and academic qualifications - some of these applicants’ scores will have been boosted if they are Realising Opportunities, had mitigation etc. All applicants who scored 56 were reassessed and some were invited to interview, at the discretion of our admissions tutor. We do not have a record of how many applicants in total scored 56.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending