The Student Room Group

Dentistry Graduate Entry 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FingerBang
Got my ukcat tomorrow, and from practice tests, I have done pretty bad =///

You never know with that exam, best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
I'm just starting my third year of Biomed and applying for grad entry dentistry.
What sort of work experience have people got?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
That UKCAT was painful =//

VR 450
QR 670
AR 680
DA 650

SJ Band 1

Average 612

This may put me at a huge disadvantage considering how competitive Sheffield is. Any thougts?
Original post by SET1
I'm just starting my third year of Biomed and applying for grad entry dentistry.
What sort of work experience have people got?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have 2 weeks at a mixed private & NHS clinic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That UKCAT was painful =//

VR 450
QR 670
AR 680
DA 650

SJ Band 1

Average 612

This may put me at a huge disadvantage considering how competitive Sheffield is. Any thougts?

It's a shame that your VR let you down. How heavily do Sheffield look at UKCAT results? It's probably worth having a word with their admissions to see if they have a cutoff mark etc.
My exam is next Thursday, any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by *ChooseToShine*
I have 2 weeks at a mixed private & NHS clinic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. Just wanting to see if I have enough in comparison to other applicants!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 46
*ChooseToShine* If the page is scrollable, it must be scrolled otherwise it won't let you onto the next question. The monitor and resolutions are small at the test centres, so it will commonly occur, compared to doing it on a 24" where I never needed to scroll the page. I left like 10 questions to guess on VR, but in last few seconds I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get onto the next questions and therefore couldn't even guess them!
*ChooseToShine* If the page is scrollable, it must be scrolled otherwise it won't let you onto the next question. The monitor and resolutions are small at the test centres, so it will commonly occur, compared to doing it on a 24" where I never needed to scroll the page. I left like 10 questions to guess on VR, but in last few seconds I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get onto the next questions and therefore couldn't even guess them!

Ah thanks for that!
That is SO annoying about the VR!
Have you been to any open days at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Darsh31
Hey fingerbang and choosetoshine, my UKCAT is on tuesday, which unis are u applying to?

Hope your UKCAT went well today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey i'm applying for dentistry this year too and was wondering does anyone know what to expect on the UClan admissions test? don't know whether to apply there or not.. and do any other graduate entry places have tests like these? or forms/transcripts that you have to submit before applying?
Original post by rosewood_99
hey i'm applying for dentistry this year too and was wondering does anyone know what to expect on the UClan admissions test? don't know whether to apply there or not.. and do any other graduate entry places have tests like these? or forms/transcripts that you have to submit before applying?

Hi, there's a thread from last year with the same title as this one but change the year to 2013. I think i've seen people talk about the interviews and what to expect on there. Maybe it's worth messaging some of last years applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by rosewood_99

From what I've heard it shouldn't be tricky, they are just testing that you have the appropriate prior knowledge. It is supposedly based around the prior knowledge form that has to be filled in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
I'm also considering doing graduate entry dentistry (I'm about to start my final year in a biomedical science degree). I'm also considering applying to Liverpool and King's and also want to take a gap year to gain some experience and save up some money.

My question is regarding the fees... how much are they? do we get student grants/loans/bursaries/scholarships or funding? thanks :smile:
Original post by Hazel92
I'm also considering doing graduate entry dentistry (I'm about to start my final year in a biomedical science degree). I'm also considering applying to Liverpool and King's and also want to take a gap year to gain some experience and save up some money.

My question is regarding the fees... how much are they? do we get student grants/loans/bursaries/scholarships or funding? thanks :smile:

Hello, this is what Liverpool have said about the fees. It applies to all graduate entry courses too:

'Students on the four-year Graduate Entry medical and dental programmes starting their programme in the academic year 2013/14, will have to fund the first £3,465 of their tuition fees in the first year. In the subsequent years of the course, the NHS Bursary scheme will pay £3,465 towards their tuition fees. Throughout the course, eligible students will be able to receive a Student Loan Company loan to cover the difference between £3,465 and the tuition charges of their universities, to a maximum charge of £9,000.'

So you just need i save up £3,465 and the rest you will pay using the NHS bursary and Student Loans Company.

I hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
I want to apply for liverpool but i heard that they check your alevels. Got BCC in alevel but 2.1 in Biomedical science. has anyone had an interview at liverpool for grad dentistry with low A-levels?
Original post by aj_student
I want to apply for liverpool but i heard that they check your alevels. Got BCC in alevel but 2.1 in Biomedical science. has anyone had an interview at liverpool for grad dentistry with low A-levels?

On their site it says the Alevels have to be at grade C & above so you should br fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Original post by aj_student

On their site it says the Alevels have to be at grade C & above so you should br fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi everyone I'm another hopeful applicant. I emailed liverpool re their entry requirements for graduates and the reply stated that applicants must have done well at either A-levels (i.e 2 A's) or GCSE (i.e 5 A's). So with BCC in your A-levels you would need to have achieved 5 A's at GCSE. Hope that helps :smile:.
Reply 57
Hello, this is what Liverpool have said about the fees. It applies to all graduate entry courses too:

'Students on the four-year Graduate Entry medical and dental programmes starting their programme in the academic year 2013/14, will have to fund the first £3,465 of their tuition fees in the first year. In the subsequent years of the course, the NHS Bursary scheme will pay £3,465 towards their tuition fees. Throughout the course, eligible students will be able to receive a Student Loan Company loan to cover the difference between £3,465 and the tuition charges of their universities, to a maximum charge of £9,000.'

So you just need i save up £3,465 and the rest you will pay using the NHS bursary and Student Loans Company.

I hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!!

One more thing, is the actual fee £9000 then like other undergrad courses?
(edited 10 years ago)
You're welcome, yeah it's £9000

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Anyone going to Liverpool open day tomorrow?

Quick Reply

Latest