The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni: Official Students 13/14!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurenlcollier
Do we need to take our A Level results?? I thought they would already know from ucas? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most people haven't even received their A level results through the post so I don't think you can take them just yet. It's probably a good idea to take your GCSE results though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 901
Will a printer be essential? Or is coursework emailed to lecturers instead of printed out?
Original post by Envelopes
Will a printer be essential? Or is coursework emailed to lecturers instead of printed out?

Bring a printer.. They need to be handed in electronically and in paper form. Or you could just use the ones in the library.. but I personally suggest buying a printer.

You would probably benefit from having your own printer too as you'd be able to print out lecture notes and seminar materials quickly, rather than trekking to the library.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 903
Original post by Envelopes

Don't buy one until you get there, you may find someone living with you that is willing to split the costs with you!
Reply 904
Original post by Orthrus
I just have to show up, sit down and take notes - that sounds like a gentle start to the day for me :') Haha, that extra hour of lost sleep is one of the disadvantages of not living in a more centralised place. Oh god, i'm gonna miss newcastle so much D: i'd like to say i'm doing the same, but my sleeping schedule is steadily getting worse - i'll be ready for late nights! :biggrin: Awwh, your poor mam! I think my mam's doing the same thing, only with nagging and telling me to just leave already... in fact, she's been doing it for years! :lol: he still used to live round the corner from me until not long ago too! It's got my mam playing the lottery like every few weeks now - she simply doesn't believe me when i say that the odds are not good :L I remember learning about all the scheming and secret alliances politicians made that led to WW1 during GCSE history, and our history teacher telling us that they've always been shifty. I almost died of boredom that year D:

Haha i guess it is a gentle start, but I'd rather be in bed :wink: yeah i guess it's pretty out of the way, but be thankful you arent traveling down south or something! then youd have like four/five/six hours :') Leeds is pretty good for being central I must say, centrally north i mean :') hahah I don't mind feeling tired when I'm out, as long as I don't feel tired in the day! Aww I know bless her, but as she keeps saying, she'd be sad if I wasn't going to university so she has to be excited for me :') oh wow thats not very good then! well you never know, she might win one day! Everyones gotta have some hope somewhere! yep scheming and horrid and rich and pretentious and with no idea of what most peoples lives are actually like since theyre all millionaires that went to eton and/or oxbridge :') This is gonna sound weird but I don't actually think it's anything that I've done in history lessons that made me want to do a history degree :') Its just a passion i've always had for knowing things that happened and why etc, had more fun doing my epq than any other history topic! though i did quite enjoy doing A2 coursework, looking at journals etc (not that im nerdy or anything...... :wink: )
Reply 905
Original post by HannahS95
Haha i guess it is a gentle start, but I'd rather be in bed :wink: yeah i guess it's pretty out of the way, but be thankful you arent traveling down south or something! then youd have like four/five/six hours :') Leeds is pretty good for being central I must say, centrally north i mean :') hahah I don't mind feeling tired when I'm out, as long as I don't feel tired in the day! Aww I know bless her, but as she keeps saying, she'd be sad if I wasn't going to university so she has to be excited for me :') oh wow thats not very good then! well you never know, she might win one day! Everyones gotta have some hope somewhere! yep scheming and horrid and rich and pretentious and with no idea of what most peoples lives are actually like since theyre all millionaires that went to eton and/or oxbridge :') This is gonna sound weird but I don't actually think it's anything that I've done in history lessons that made me want to do a history degree :') Its just a passion i've always had for knowing things that happened and why etc, had more fun doing my epq than any other history topic! though i did quite enjoy doing A2 coursework, looking at journals etc (not that im nerdy or anything...... :wink: )

I'd quite simply die if i had to drive down any further or wake up any earlier - like one of my unlucky friends had a 7 hour drive to plymouth a week ago :') Lucky you! Everything's within reasonable distance from leeds in comparison to newcastle... well, everything except for beaches :wink: It must be strange to be a parent in this situation because you're sad your youngest kid is leaving, but proud of them for going off to their uni :frown: Haha, i'll let her have her dreams then, especially since she said i'd get a cut! Then maybe i'll be allowed to join the 'scheming and horrid and rich and pretentious' club... but i might be a bit too old for eton and a bit too average for oxford :lol:
It wouldn't be right if you didn't have a proper passion for the subject you were doing - what would be the point in doing it if you didn't really want to do it! What did you do in your EPQ anyway? Hahaha, I can't make fun of you for all your nerdiness since i spent a lot of A2 reading theoretical books and entered all sorts of national physics and engineering competitions :') (P.s. Neeeeeeeerrrrrrddddd :wink: )
Reply 906
Original post by I.am.bored
Bring a printer.. They need to be handed in electronically and in paper form. Or you could just use the ones in the library.. but I personally suggest buying a printer.

You would probably benefit from having your own printer too as you'd be able to print out lecture notes and seminar materials quickly, rather than trekking to the library.

Original post by DFarrell
Don't buy one until you get there, you may find someone living with you that is willing to split the costs with you!

I would rather have my own printer than share as it could cause problems down the line (dividing costs, etc), but i didn't know that work was to be handed in on paper form. I hope they show us how to use the printers at the library, though.
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Most people haven't even received their A level results through the post so I don't think you can take them just yet. It's probably a good idea to take your GCSE results though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You mean the certificates? I have a piece of paper with my A Levels on but no official certificates until November :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 908
Original post by Orthrus
I'd quite simply die if i had to drive down any further or wake up any earlier - like one of my unlucky friends had a 7 hour drive to plymouth a week ago :') Lucky you! Everything's within reasonable distance from leeds in comparison to newcastle... well, everything except for beaches :wink: It must be strange to be a parent in this situation because you're sad your youngest kid is leaving, but proud of them for going off to their uni :frown: Haha, i'll let her have her dreams then, especially since she said i'd get a cut! Then maybe i'll be allowed to join the 'scheming and horrid and rich and pretentious' club... but i might be a bit too old for eton and a bit too average for oxford :lol:
It wouldn't be right if you didn't have a proper passion for the subject you were doing - what would be the point in doing it if you didn't really want to do it! What did you do in your EPQ anyway? Hahaha, I can't make fun of you for all your nerdiness since i spent a lot of A2 reading theoretical books and entered all sorts of national physics and engineering competitions :') (P.s. Neeeeeeeerrrrrrddddd :wink: )

Oh my god that sounds hideous! hahha one of my friends went to Bath, which is about 4 hours, but even quite far! Hahah I'm not the biggest fan of beaches, too much sand that just gets everywhere! Yeah it must be strange, my parents will be living in this big old house by themselves! Though I have spent quite a few nights away in the past year to acclimatise them to it! Its not compulsory to join the club you know :wink: Yeah i suppose so! I was just making the point that though your history lessons might have been boring, history isnt :wink: errm it was about the american revolution, the title was somethign like 'what was the true cause of the American revolution' :') I just quite like writing essays, theres something nice about seeing all your ideas all nicely set out :')
Hi guys, I have more questions about enrolling for modules....
I understand now we're meant to study 3 Part 1 modules in the first year. I'm studying Hist & IR so I'm already signed up for two. So now am I meant to choose a different department entirely, like Sociology, and sign up for their Part 1 course?
Reply 910
Original post by callmehayleyy
haha, oh dear i couldn't! you never know maybe you're better than you think (cue orders to take my own advice..) :') well we'll see, half of it is just the confidence to even try i guess :L

Haha exactly :smile: Indeed! Well, if you do fancy it just send me a message and we can be non-confidend buddies together :smile:
Original post by Fragile_Illusions
Hi guys, I have more questions about enrolling for modules....
I understand now we're meant to study 3 Part 1 modules in the first year. I'm studying Hist & IR so I'm already signed up for two. So now am I meant to choose a different department entirely, like Sociology, and sign up for their Part 1 course?

You can stay in the same department if you wish (if there is another course to choose) or you can choose from a different department. I do two from the english language department and the other from social sciences (sociology in fact woo!) as I didn't want to study intensive Chinese haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by laurenlcollier
You can stay in the same department if you wish (if there is another course to choose) or you can choose from a different department. I do two from the english language department and the other from social sciences (sociology in fact woo!) as I didn't want to study intensive Chinese haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh, you're lucky! I can only see one for history :frown:
I feel too stressed to pick another subject; at least first year doesn't count towards the degree
Reply 913
Original post by HannahS95
Oh my god that sounds hideous! hahha one of my friends went to Bath, which is about 4 hours, but even quite far! Hahah I'm not the biggest fan of beaches, too much sand that just gets everywhere! Yeah it must be strange, my parents will be living in this big old house by themselves! Though I have spent quite a few nights away in the past year to acclimatise them to it! Its not compulsory to join the club you know :wink: Yeah i suppose so! I was just making the point that though your history lessons might have been boring, history isnt :wink: errm it was about the american revolution, the title was somethign like 'what was the true cause of the American revolution' :') I just quite like writing essays, theres something nice about seeing all your ideas all nicely set out :')

I can only imagine how painful it's gonna be for them when they come back for holidays :lol: Haha True, sand is unbelievably annoying, but there's not much that can top having a barbeque on the beach with friends for me :smile: Have you ever been away from your parents for very long before? I think that tends to help them get through it easier :') Hahaha, it was just a tedious topic, otherwise i used to love history! My teachers were genuinely shocked when i didn't choose it as an alevel... and so was i actually! I made a last gasp swap to sociology on enrollment day :tongue: Hmmm, that sounds really interesting, it differs a lot from the EPQs i heard some of my college's history class taking - theirs generally stuck to 20th century british politics :L I love writing the first draft of an essay, but i really hate the later drafts because i take so long to trim it - i always think it's a masterpiece first time :rolleyes:
Hi guys. Freshers is fast approaching! Don't forget your Lancaster Barnardos society. We'll be happy to meet you at the freshers fair :smile:.
https://www.facebook.com/events/674788699198979/?context=create
Reply 915
Original post by Orthrus
I'm a relative newcomer to pc games - proof being that i only have one, and play it on my barely fast enough laptop - but i know they will destroy any and all work ethic! Like i've been telling myself i'd look at my college notes for the past few weeks :rolleyes:

Ahhh, that reminds me of the years when i was seriously addicted to Bones and House... especially House! I considered being a doctor for a while :laugh: But I never could get into the rest of those crime shows (unless Sherlock fits into the genre - god, i love sherlock). But using really addictive telly is a brilliant way to have broke the ice! Hmm, i might try it come saturday :biggrin:

I might need to run a few suitcase drafts by my mam first because in recent years i've had a habit of forgetting rather important things. Like who even needs to take shorts to dubai anyway?! :facepalm2: Ughh, i'm not looking forward to navigating some of the country/penine roads on the drive down.

What game is it? i'm not a big gamer had a chance to play some ones I used to play when I was younger this summer which was really fun and then I've installed the sims 3 and skyrim on my new laptop for uni, hopefully they wont be too distracting.

Ahhh a bones fan, I don't think I really know any other people who have seen it :redface:
Hawaii five-0 is good, but I've not really gotten into anything else not csi or anything I;ve watched Cold-case and a few other English ones, actually white chapel has just started again that's good and of course Sherlock is amazing :smile:
I've never seen House I may look that up next time I need a new show to watch.
It probably is a good idea until you realise that no one there watches the tv you do. I usually get stuck when people ask about soaps I've never watched any of them, i'm better off talking about game of thrones but I don't know how big that is with normal people :P

Maybe you shouldn't pack on your own :P I made a list of everything I packed as I did it. I actually started packing today, although I think I started it as an excuse not to tidy my room :s but I have made a start :biggrin:

Are you driving yourself there? I guess your not used to Country roads then?
Reply 916
Original post by katie55
What game is it? i'm not a big gamer had a chance to play some ones I used to play when I was younger this summer which was really fun and then I've installed the sims 3 and skyrim on my new laptop for uni, hopefully they wont be too distracting.

Ahhh a bones fan, I don't think I really know any other people who have seen it :redface:
Hawaii five-0 is good, but I've not really gotten into anything else not csi or anything I;ve watched Cold-case and a few other English ones, actually white chapel has just started again that's good and of course Sherlock is amazing :smile:
I've never seen House I may look that up next time I need a new show to watch.
It probably is a good idea until you realise that no one there watches the tv you do. I usually get stuck when people ask about soaps I've never watched any of them, i'm better off talking about game of thrones but I don't know how big that is with normal people :P

Maybe you shouldn't pack on your own :P I made a list of everything I packed as I did it. I actually started packing today, although I think I started it as an excuse not to tidy my room :s but I have made a start :biggrin:

Are you driving yourself there? I guess your not used to Country roads then?

It's napoleon: total war - I've always had a soft spot for history and strategy games :colondollar: You know, your work ethic for the entire year was doomed the second you bought both Sims 3 and skyrim, right? The only games i remember playing when i was young was age of empires and civilisation, and they were both my older sister's.

I know, maybe people get put of by the 'analyse bones until we solve the crime' aspect of it without actually giving it a chance? I like Hawaii five-0 as well, but i've never given whitechapel much of a chance - might do next time i need distraction! :smile: I'm no good with those normal people either since i'm not football mad enough for some of my more laddy mates, and too laidback about games for my more nerdy friends :rolleyes: But game of thrones is definitely one of my fortes!

Hahaha, well while you've been slacking, i've finished packing today! It started with me just choosing what i was planning on bringing, and then ended a few hours later with me heaving my suitcase(s) down the stairs :tongue:

No, i'm fine with them, and i'm going with my mam - therein lies the problem! She makes me do the directions and then doesn't believe me!! -_- i might carry a few stress balls.
Original post by Fragile_Illusions
Ooh, you're lucky! I can only see one for history :frown:
I feel too stressed to pick another subject; at least first year doesn't count towards the degree

I feel very stressed too! But all we need is a pass and then we can focus on our major! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wat is this Invoice we need to bring???? Anyone???
Reply 919
Original post by gingerandice
Wat is this Invoice we need to bring???? Anyonee???

Im guessing you mean the accommodation invoice as i cant think of any other, which I didnt think we needed to bring but if im right on this you got an email with an invoice attached from uni :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending