The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 440
Original post by S-man10
Could someone explain how anyone can argue Kobe being the best offensive player ever?

I'm sure he's probably said a few bad words to Shaq and Gasol in his time.
Reply 441
Original post by IDukem
I'm sure he's probably said a few bad words to Shaq and Gasol in his time.

Now that would make sense. Dwight can say that too

But seriously...
Original post by S-man10
Could someone explain how anyone can argue Kobe being the best offensive player ever?

He's surely in the conversation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 443
Original post by HarryJames
He's surely in the conversation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say he's up there, but in terms of offensive production there's a few players i'd pick over him personally.
Reply 444
Original post by S-man10

You could easily make an argument for it: clutch, winning mentality, great scorer.
Reply 445
Original post by Jingers
You could easily make an argument for it: clutch, winning mentality, great scorer.

You could make an argument for his being one of the greatest offensive players of all time, but I can't see him being the greatest. The three categories you just mentioned right there, Michael Jordan was more clutch, had a greater winning mentality and was a greater scorer than Kobe in my opinion.
Reply 446
Original post by IDukem
You could make an argument for his being one of the greatest offensive players of all time, but I can't see him being the greatest. The three categories you just mentioned right there, Michael Jordan was more clutch, had a greater winning mentality and was a greater scorer than Kobe in my opinion.

The argument would probably be its harder to score nowadays because the general athleticism level around the league has probably gone up but its not an argument I would personally make
Original post by IDukem
I'd say he's up there, but in terms of offensive production there's a few players i'd pick over him personally.

I agree I wouldn't pick him either but it wouldn't be a completely crazy thing to say

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 448
I agree I wouldn't pick him either but it wouldn't be a completely crazy thing to say

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh it would be, which is why I can't take it seriously. Jordan and Kobe are alike players, yet Jordan excelled Kobe in everything by miles. One of them, yes. The best... Never
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 449
Original post by alexsong
The argument would probably be its harder to score nowadays because the general athleticism level around the league has probably gone up but its not an argument I would personally make

It would be a bad argument to make since athletically Jordan was better than anyone in his time and is still better than many players now days
Reply 450
Original post by Jingers

Hello Jingers, haven't seen you in a while. How you feeling about Melo leading the knicks lol
Original post by S-man10
Tbh it would be, which is why I can't take it seriously. Jordan and Kobe are alike players, yet Jordan excelled Kobe in everything by miles. One of them, yes. The best... Never

I would disagree with that, MJ was never the greatest shooter especially from deep, Kobe has more range

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 452
I would disagree with that, MJ was never the greatest shooter especially from deep, Kobe has more range

Posted from TSR Mobile

So Kevin Durant. We are talking about offensive, so its not just limited to shooting. Jordan didn't see the need to shoot when we could get by players and post up all the time. It was the way the triangle was run I suppose.

But range yes, I'd agree, although if we talking about Percentages, jordan always excelled
Reply 453
Original post by S-man10
It would be a bad argument to make since athletically Jordan was better than anyone in his time and is still better than many players now days

Jordan's athleticism has precisely nothing to do with it, it would be about how athletic the average nba player was back then compared to now
Reply 454
Jordan's athleticism has precisely nothing to do with it, it would be about how athletic the average nba player was back then compared to now

How would it make a difference?
Reply 455
Original post by S-man10
How would it make a difference?

The better quality of athlete you are facing the harder it is to score in theory, especially for someone like Kobe who doesn't stand out as a particularly dominant athlete in the league compared to some. As I said it isn't an argument I would personsonally make because it's blasphemous to MJ the god but there's probably some shreds of truth in there
Original post by S-man10
So Kevin Durant. We are talking about offensive, so its not just limited to shooting. Jordan didn't see the need to shoot when we could get by players and post up all the time. It was the way the triangle was run I suppose.

But range yes, I'd agree, although if we talking about Percentages, jordan always excelled

But you said Jordan is miles better then kobe in every aspect, I was mentioning one area that Kobe is stronger in. Of course there are still better shooters than Kobe but Kobe's a better shooter than MJ

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 457
But you said Jordan is miles better then kobe in every aspect, I was mentioning one area that Kobe is stronger in. Of course there are still better shooters than Kobe but Kobe's a better shooter than MJ

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not going to dispute that. Jordan wasn't all that from long range because he knew he could get to the paint. The purpose of shooting is to score and scoring wise Jordan exceeded.

The better quality of athlete you are facing the harder it is to score in theory, especially for someone like Kobe who doesn't stand out as a particularly dominant athlete in the league compared to some. As I said it isn't an argument I would personsonally make because it's blasphemous to MJ the god but there's probably some shreds of truth in there

It is a pretty shoddy argument. Mainly because relative athleticism is hard to measure, and Jordan would have still succeeded in being more athletic than anyone today.
Original post by S-man10
I'm not going to dispute that. Jordan wasn't all that from long range because he knew he could get to the paint. The purpose of shooting is to score and scoring wise Jordan exceeded.

But it's still a factor in their all round ability. I'm not denying michael could score better but in that one area of offensive ability kobe is better.

Realistically the argument has to be between Michael and LeBron

Posted from TSR Mobile
I's say Jordan, Bird , Magic and Lebron and I might even put Steve Nash there as a wildcard

Latest