The Student Room Group

UCAS applications

Hey,

Im taking highers this year and Im new to the Scottish education system.

How are applications processed?
Since an A covers from a 75% to a 100% grade, how do the universities choose their students?

And how are grades predicted by teachers?
How can a teacher satisfyingly predict a grade only a month after the start of a course? Can predicted grades be updated throughout the year? If so, how often?
Reply 1
In Scotland, you can apply either at the beginning of fifth or sixth year with the latter being what the vast majority of students will do. As a result they will already have their S5 results and so the universities will use those grades and offer an unconditional offer (i.e being accepted 100%) or a conditional offer (pending meeting certain grades) or no offer.

If you choose to apply in S5 they will set you a conditional offer likely to be the entry requirements of the course if they want to give you an offer.

Predicted grades have no effect in the Scottish system as for most candidates their S5 results indicated their academic ability.

Any other questions just ask?
Reply 2
yxx
OP
Oh ok. Thanks!

Im taking a course at S6 level. I haven't studied at S5 level in Scotland though and that was more than 4 years ago. Might they use those grades to decide whether they will make me an offer?

Also, what percentage corresponds to a Grade 2 at Standard Grade level?
Reply 3
yxx
OP
By S6 you mean SCQF level 6, right?
Reply 4
Original post by yxx
Oh ok. Thanks!

Im taking a course at S6 level. I haven't studied at S5 level in Scotland though and that was more than 4 years ago. Might they use those grades to decide whether they will make me an offer?

Also, what percentage corresponds to a Grade 2 at Standard Grade level?

Original post by yxx
By S6 you mean SCQF level 6, right?

By S6 I meant sixth year and by S5 I meant fifth year.

Those levels are really used/known about my most people though I think level 6 is higher?

They will really only use your higher results or if you don't meet the initial requirements then an advanced higher may form part of a conditional offer.

Depends what subject it is, you can google sqa grade boundaries and download a spreadsheet to have look though it is typically 50%-70%.
Original post by kylerfc
In Scotland, you can apply either at the beginning of fifth or sixth year with the latter being what the vast majority of students will do. As a result they will already have their S5 results and so the universities will use those grades and offer an unconditional offer (i.e being accepted 100%) or a conditional offer (pending meeting certain grades) or no offer.

If you choose to apply in S5 they will set you a conditional offer likely to be the entry requirements of the course if they want to give you an offer.

Predicted grades have no effect in the Scottish system as for most candidates their S5 results indicated their academic ability.

Any other questions just ask?

*Not meaning to be pedantic, but the boundary for an A grade ranges from 70-100% in most cases, rather than 75%. :smile:
Original post by Apologetic Cube
Where did the misconception that an A = 75% come from? Half of my year think that...

No idea. :s-smilie: The boundaries can fluctuate slightly from year to year, but 70% is the usual 'standard' boundary, it's surprising that they still think that!

Quick Reply

Latest