The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jkizer
Somehow my IEA essay managed to break into the top 10 entries of the competition o.O

I swear it wasnt thaaat good...

Don't sell yourself short, great achievement! Congrats!
Original post by Jkizer
Neither did I! A teacher mentioned it during a personal statement help session near the end of the year.
It was slightly harder due to some of the weird q's but need thought I did thaaat good

They offered the chance to go to Westminster and pick up my certificate, but I'll probably have to leave it :frown:
Posted from TSR Mobile

My teacher is well... I won't comment. I gave her my PS last week, she somehow managed to lose it. I emailed it her on Monday again, got no feedback yet.'
It would be great if you went there but you can still get it sent by post, can't you?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1082
Original post by purplemind
My teacher is well... I won't comment. I gave her my PS last week, she somehow managed to lose it. I emailed it her on Monday again, got no feedback yet.'
It would be great if you went there but you can still get it sent by post, can't you?

Bloody well hope so that they send it to me! (Even though it probably wont account for anything come university haha)

Im no where near the best writer, but after creating a mess for the RES and slightly for the Cambridge thingy, tis good i guess that my writing is progressively better :smile:

I would say my Teachers PS' feedback is very..... brief. The only thing i got out from him when i sent him a draft of mine, is to use a semi colon in a particular sentence... Even then i think hes wrong! The PS session was ok too, got a few good points from it :P The teacher is apparently fairly hated in the staff room :smile:

Original post by Alex-Torres
Wow!

Original post by NedStark
Don't sell yourself short, great achievement! Congrats!

Thank you! Its an essay competition not as 'competitive' as the likes of RES and Cambridge Marshall, but i got a free magazine from entering my work :smile:
Now i gotta cut something out my PS, to add this in ! (Though i expect more wording issues!)
Original post by Jkizer
Bloody well hope so that they send it to me! (Even though it probably wont account for anything come university haha)

Im no where near the best writer, but after creating a mess for the RES and slightly for the Cambridge thingy, tis good i guess that my writing is progressively better :smile:

I would say my Teachers PS' feedback is very..... brief. The only thing i got out from him when i sent him a draft of mine, is to use a semi colon in a particular sentence... Even then i think hes wrong! The PS session was ok too, got a few good points from it :P The teacher is apparently fairly hated in the staff room :smile:

But when you look at it later, you will be proud of yourself that you managed to do it. So it does account for sometimg. :tongue:
I wanted to write an essay for a competition, it was probably the RES one but I forgot about the deadline.
Maybe he thought your personal statement is really good and that's why. I want to give mine to an English teacher, I have problems with commas sometimes. But I need to get the feedback first in case I wanted to change something.
Reply 1084
But when you look at it later, you will be proud of yourself that you managed to do it. So it does account for sometimg. :tongue:
I wanted to write an essay for a competition, it was probably the RES one but I forgot about the deadline.
Maybe he thought your personal statement is really good and that's why. I want to give mine to an English teacher, I have problems with commas sometimes. But I need to get the feedback first in case I wanted to change something.

Hell yeah, probably the only thing which i earned a mention for :biggrin: (Except maybe antics at school).

I personally think with a subject like Economics, its extremely qualitative and quantitative, so you have so much information available to you. You can demonstrate maths skills, writing skills, be influenced by actions in society in a more direct way etc. Basically means its overloaded with info, whereas subjects like Maths i suppose is difficult to find an 'array' of opening paragraphs.

With my first draft, i had the tendency to just write crap :smile: E.g. I wrote a lot about a gardening society i am a part of at school, which then a PS helper was quick to tell me, admissions aren't too particularly interested in all that, rather much the skills :frown:
Hardest bit is always getting rid of stuff, than adding !
yo yo , anyone sent their application off yet ? hows personal statements going ? been reviewing mine and the general concensus amongst my teachers is that im nearly there which is good :smile:
Original post by Fas
yo yo , anyone sent their application off yet ? hows personal statements going ? been reviewing mine and the general concensus amongst my teachers is that im nearly there which is good :smile:

Sent it to my referee (form tutor) almost 2 weeks ago and since then my entire application has been rigorously checked by her (hopefully anyway). Apparently now it goes to the head teacher who checks it as well and then hopefully off to UCAS within a week or so.

The whole process at my school is ridiculously long and drawn out, the recommended deadline for competitive courses set by the school was last Friday simply because it takes that long for them to check everything and get them sent off.
Original post by Fas

I was getting towards the end of my personal statement, happy with it and all until my teacher gets a second opinion from another member of staff who destroys my PS. Now I'm set back about 3 drafts. :frown:

The problem is, I've taken the feedback onboard and made the suggested changes, which were simply cut this, this and this out. I really want to include that I took part in the Cambridge Shadowing Scheme but I really don't know how I can include it.

I guess I'll give it a day and try again with a fresher mind.
Original post by Jkizer
Hell yeah, probably the only thing which i earned a mention for :biggrin: (Except maybe antics at school).

I personally think with a subject like Economics, its extremely qualitative and quantitative, so you have so much information available to you. You can demonstrate maths skills, writing skills, be influenced by actions in society in a more direct way etc. Basically means its overloaded with info, whereas subjects like Maths i suppose is difficult to find an 'array' of opening paragraphs.

With my first draft, i had the tendency to just write crap :smile: E.g. I wrote a lot about a gardening society i am a part of at school, which then a PS helper was quick to tell me, admissions aren't too particularly interested in all that, rather much the skills :frown:
Hardest bit is always getting rid of stuff, than adding !

I know, I had a real difficulty to cut the parts that I thought were least important.
I'm really worried that even though I got good predictions, I may get a rejection from all 5 universities (I don't know why I have this feeling.)
Gardening society? Cool! :biggrin: Do you grow flowers?
In my PS, I talked about Debating Society, Cookery Club and Chapel Choir, I didn't write too much about them but I mentioned what skills I gained from each of these activities.
Reply 1089
I know, I had a real difficulty to cut the parts that I thought were least important.
I'm really worried that even though I got good predictions, I may get a rejection from all 5 universities (I don't know why I have this feeling.)
Gardening society? Cool! :biggrin: Do you grow flowers?
In my PS, I talked about Debating Society, Cookery Club and Chapel Choir, I didn't write too much about them but I mentioned what skills I gained from each of these activities.

I fear rejections too :frown: I got some very mediocre gcses and although AS's are decent, i have a feeling it wont be enough! (Especially with the heavy competition!)

Gardening society is the shizzles.... (I kid). We just grow (Attempt to anyways) some 'exotic' vegetables aside from the boring carrots and lettuces. Usually it ends up withering or being damaged from stray footballs.

Im hoping to make final adjustments to my PS with the Essay competition, before maybe declaring its all cool to save :smile: (Though i found writing about the competition extremely difficult!)
Original post by Jkizer
I fear rejections too :frown: I got some very mediocre gcses and although AS's are decent, i have a feeling it wont be enough! (Especially with the heavy competition!)

Gardening society is the shizzles.... (I kid). We just grow (Attempt to anyways) some 'exotic' vegetables aside from the boring carrots and lettuces. Usually it ends up withering or being damaged from stray footballs.

Im hoping to make final adjustments to my PS with the Essay competition, before maybe declaring its all cool to save :smile: (Though i found writing about the competition extremely difficult!)

Just apply to a university that offer is lower than your achieved grades e.g. if you got AAA at AS then apply to an AAB uni, it's what I'm doing just to make sure I get into university.
Original post by Jkizer

I'm not sure if choosing 5 universities which standard offer is A*AA is a good idea. It's so hard to decide.

I thought something more exotic. But maybe it's still fun. :smile:

The only competition I could write about was Senior Team Maths Challenge. :tongue:
Guys is there a point to putting down modules that you'll be taking this year onto UCAS? Or should I not bother at all.

I'm not sure if choosing 5 universities which standard offer is A*AA is a good idea. It's so hard to decide.

Don't see any harm in it, the only thing is you won't have an insurance :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Guys is there a point to putting down modules that you'll be taking this year onto UCAS? Or should I not bother at all.

Don't see any harm in it, the only thing is you won't have an insurance :P

I put all the modules as this was written in the UCAS guide given by my school. :smile:
That's my point, I woudln't like to be rejected from 5 universities.
I put all the modules as this was written in the UCAS guide given by my school. :smile:
That's my point, I woudln't like to be rejected from 5 universities.

I was thinking of doing the same thing as I don't wanna leave any blanks. But Maths and FM modules sometimes get rearranged and mixed up so... :s-smilie:

Rejection from all 5 is highly unlikely.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1095
Silly Question but when talking about Economics as a subject does it require a capital letter as my tutor, parents and the PS help service are all saying different things
Original post by keith111
Silly Question but when talking about Economics as a subject does it require a capital letter as my tutor, parents and the PS help service are all saying different things

Capital letter when talking about the specific course e.g. I want to apply to Economics, however normal e when just talking about it generally e.g. in economics I particularly like...
Original post by keith111

It's Economics if you're talking about it as an academic qualification - 'I like A-level Economics'.

If you're talking about it as a theory/idea then it's lower case - 'economics can explain things about society'.

at least that's what I was told.
Reply 1098

I thought something more exotic. But maybe it's still fun. :smile:

The only competition I could write about was Senior Team Maths Challenge. :tongue:

You must a pretty smart guy if the A*AA is very open to you! Surely theres an AAA out there ?!

Maths competitions are always cool though! Especially since for sixth form, maths is much more important than economics a level itself!
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I was thinking of doing the same thing as I don't wanna leave any blanks. But Maths and FM modules sometimes get rearranged and mixed up so... :s-smilie:

Rejection from all 5 is highly unlikely.

Do what you want. :tongue:
My friend was rejected from all 5 universities last year so who knows. (And she was good, she just didn't do Maths...)

Original post by Jkizer
You must a pretty smart guy if the A*AA is very open to you! Surely theres an AAA out there ?!

Maths competitions are always cool though! Especially since for sixth form, maths is much more important than economics a level itself!

I'm not a guy, haha. :biggrin:
There is but it's not a problem to get the grades but to get the offer.
I know, my Economics teacher said they will be interested in my Maths knowledge at the interview than Economics A Level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending