The Student Room Group

2014 Medicine Re-Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PG593
What sort of maths questions was it? Could you give an example? :smile:

Those who have been through the SGUL MMI (and any other med school interview) cannot give out examples of interview questions as it would provide an unfair advantage to certain applicants. SGUL provide examples on their website and descriptions of what they are looking for in interviewees, that should be enough.
Reply 1901
Original post by manupalace
Those who have been through the SGUL MMI (and any other med school interview) cannot give out examples of interview questions as it would provide an unfair advantage to certain applicants. SGUL provide examples on their website and descriptions of what they are looking for in interviewees, that should be enough.

Fair enough, I was only looking for an example, it didn't have to be the exact maths question you got at the MMI but as I've never done one before I thought it only fair to ask because it did sound a little ambiguous. FWIW I'm not applying to SGUL :tongue:
I've got two job interviews, one is soon to be a care home apprentice and another in a few weeks to be a theatre support worker. I would definitely prefer the second job but if I get the first job first and then the second could I drop out? I've never had a job before, I don't know how these things work!
Reply 1903
Original post by SusieShire
I've got two job interviews, one is soon to be a care home apprentice and another in a few weeks to be a theatre support worker. I would definitely prefer the second job but if I get the first job first and then the second could I drop out? I've never had a job before, I don't know how these things work!

I think it would take ages to do the paperwork so btw the time you have your second interview your paper work may not be complete (ie OH questionnaire takes ages) so you could drop out then :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of people said that if you're reapplying you can still use all/the majority of your old statement if you wanted to. However, I was reading Lancaster's admission policy and it states "Lancaster Medical School is notified by UCAS if they find evidence of plagiarism in
the personalstatement of any of the applicants to our medical degree programme. This might occur
if an applicant copies sections of another’s personal statement or if they re-apply without
significantly revising their own personal statement
. Lancaster Medical School reserves the right to
automatically reject such applications"

so you can't just use the same PS or it will be plagiarism?
Reply 1905
Original post by CasualSoul
A lot of people said that if you're reapplying you can still use all/the majority of your old statement if you wanted to. However, I was reading Lancaster's admission policy and it states "Lancaster Medical School is notified by UCAS if they find evidence of plagiarism in
the personalstatement of any of the applicants to our medical degree programme. This might occur
if an applicant copies sections of another’s personal statement or if they re-apply without

I think it might depend, if say you got rejected post interview then it would show your PS was good enough to get through the pre-interview process in which case they shouldn't reject you for using much of what you did before. However if you were rejected pre-interview then I think they want you to really work on the PS and refine it to be something different to what it was before. Definitely call them directly to find out what the procedure will be.
Original post by PG593
I think it might depend, if say you got rejected post interview then it would show your PS was good enough to get through the pre-interview process in which case they shouldn't reject you for using much of what you did before. However if you were rejected pre-interview then I think they want you to really work on the PS and refine it to be something different to what it was before. Definitely call them directly to find out what the procedure will be.

hmm that would make sense. Yeah I will most definitely contact them in order to clarify : )

I hope none of the other schools adopt that policy as I'm only slightly modifying mine :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SuziieB
I hope none of the other schools adopt that policy as I'm only slightly modifying mine :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure your right and like I said above I'm going to contact Lancaster to find out if they were just referring to mediocre statements or if the statement was good then one would still be allowed to use it without making any significant change? but if you are unsure I would just double check:biggrin:..I mean there is no harm in asking:tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1909
Quick question (kinda noobish)

Can I use snippets of my previous PS in my new one? Or will that get flagged for plagiarism?
Original post by iamyoda
Quick question (kinda noobish)

Can I use snippets of my previous PS in my new one? Or will that get flagged for plagiarism?

Yeah that's fine. You can't plagiarise your own work! I used a few bits of my old PS too.

Well, you can't really plagiarise your own work.

As others have suggested, I would contact the admissions office.
According to this training thing we had to do, you can self-plagiarise. It's more an essay thing though; UCAS plagiarism checks won't pick up your old PS as your UCAS number reverts to the one from last year when you re-apply.
I used most of my first PS when applying for the second time.
guys is there going to be an interview preparation thread like last year?
Original post by mubashir9995
guys is there going to be an interview preparation thread like last year?

If you make one, there will.
Reply 1915
Original post by ameelia22
Anyone else feeling a bit doom and gloom now all the friends are off to university? Instagram / twitter / facebook are becoming my worst enemy 8)

Hey! How you finding the KAPLAN online plan? You feeling more prepared?

I love how there are 6 mocks :smile: I have only done one yet lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1916
Original post by Dr.Ugs
Hey! How you finding the KAPLAN online plan? You feeling more prepared?

I love how there are 6 mocks :smile: I have only done one yet lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

A week to go mate, haha you must be feeling good, all the best! :biggrin:
Hi everyone! I'm a re-applicant too :smile:
So just to be clear... can I use the majority of my PS from last year? I'm only changing a few paragraphs (and adding a paragraph!)
Good luck to all :biggrin:
Hiya can anyone help me? I was wondering who I should ask to write my reference. I shadowed a gp for two weeks and he has told me he would write me a really good reference, or should I get someone like me old head teacher? Because she knows me academically, although he (the gp) will know what to he needs to write for medicine?
Original post by lmccormick
Hiya can anyone help me? I was wondering who I should ask to write my reference. I shadowed a gp for two weeks and he has told me he would write me a really good reference, or should I get someone like me old head teacher? Because she knows me academically, although he (the gp) will know what to he needs to write for medicine?

Your reference should be academic and from someone who knows you well. You could ask the GP to write a short reference and ask your teacher to incorporate parts of it, if you wanted, but a reference written by someone who doesn't know your academic capabilities or has known you only two weeks is unlikely to be particularly useful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending