The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IqraHaq
Really tired again was up til and got up too early :rolleyes:
Was it away getting repaired? x

Lol. I think I went to sleep around 11ish last night, and then got up at 6:40 today...

Yah, it took HP forever, and forever for me to say to them "It's bloody faulty. The hard drive is the thing that doesn't work" I told this to around 3 customer service advisors, because I could tell that it was the hard drive that failed

After a while, they got my repair sorted by Flextronics (Whilst also trying to sell me expensive warranty) and when it came back lo and behold, there was a report saying that my "hdd/ssd" was damaged....

And you can supposedly void your warranty on HP laptops, if you install any operating system other than the one provided. When I do my survey (chance to win a PC), Ill be telling them what I think of that policy

I applied to work at HP as well. Im kinda glad that they didn't reply, because that stuff would annoy me whilst working for such a huge company, who should know better

I have a little netbook, so I was using that for a while lol. Now just need to install Office 2013/GNS 3 and should be good to go :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
Lol. Parts of the spreadsheet was done for me. It's just noting what they've done, and making amendments, some copying etc... Also, my conditional formatting is confusing in some parts, but it'll all mostly eventually be locked down and "protected"

Day to day - should be: Allocating IP addresses, Asset disposal, cable testing, cable removals, physically auditing, tracing cables, patching, auditing by remotely accessing routers/switches

Oh and sometimes lifting tiles :biggrin:

That sorta stuff

It'd be nice if my dad saw the relevance of my work. He quite literally said "What kind of work have you got yourself in to" when I mentioned that I lifted tiles. Apparently I should ALWAYS be at a desk.... Thanks dad... though he's not the one doing my job

They disposed of a good 10 switches worth £200 brand new. They could have given them to me!

And I was also shocked to learn that one "8GB SFP port" cost the organisation £1000 EACH. They're not much bigger in size than a USB stick. One of these:

They didn't dispose of those lol

lol parents think they kno how ur life is like-THEY DONT!!!!!
lol make sure u tell them that next time! :wink:

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what the hell???-TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!

btw.....i got an A* in my IT GCSE unit 2 thingy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was so surprised as i was sooooo sure i was going to get a B/C(didnt finish it lol):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Revent
What's up with all the x's at the end you weird people?

Complete trash

lol why:biggrin: (am guessing u dont like rap/hip hop)

what about this song den?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuzg_yDrUcI
(last one promise)

p.s what kinda songs do u listen to den?(curious)
:tongue:
Original post by dasolja123
lol parents think they kno how ur life is like-THEY DONT!!!!!
lol make sure u tell them that next time! :wink:

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what the hell???-TOO EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!

btw.....i got an A* in my IT GCSE unit 2 thingy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was so surprised as i was sooooo sure i was going to get a B/C(didnt finish it lol):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Lol it's just my dad that says that :smile: He doesn't know how well paid this industry is, and tbh I'd get bored sitting at a desk all day. I want to do something

That's the prize you pay for enterprise kit. The organisation paid £400 per "reference" fibre cable for a Fluke networks tester (£10,000)

They're small things - kinda like this:

And for official Fluke networks reference cables, they're costly, because they're fully certified, tested etc...

Ordinary fibre cables cost a lot less (They're still costly), but I really didn't expect something as small as a cable to cost more than my laptop....

Then again, I didn't expect an SFP to cost more than £100 each

I didn't really like GCSE IT. It's not the kind of IT that I do normally :smile:
Lol it's just my dad that says that :smile: He doesn't know how well paid this industry is, and tbh I'd get bored sitting at a desk all day. I want to do something

That's the prize you pay for enterprise kit. The organisation paid £400 per "reference" fibre cable for a Fluke networks tester (£10,000)

And for official Fluke networks reference cables, they're costly, because they're fully certified, tested etc...

Ordinary fibre cables cost a lot less (They're still costly), but I really didn't expect something as small as a cable to cost more than my laptop....

I didn't really like GCSE IT. It's not the kind of IT that I do normally :smile:

hey de moniyzz who are you?, how come your online 24/7 what on earth?:confused:

(last one promise)

Im not a massive fan of Dappy. Some of his stuff I like, but not a lot. Tbh, I find it funny how popular a song about getting a bargain at a shop is so popular

(This un)

[video="youtube;QK8mJJJvaes"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes[/video]

And he doesn't have to rely on scantily clad girls to be popular...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by zakibilaly
hey de moniyzz who are you?, how come your online 24/7 what on earth?:confused:

Lol. I work half 8 till 5. Go gym, come back around 7ish. Have around 4 - 5 hours/day time to myself. That's it :smile:

my mom wants me to be a doctor-first i was like NO WAY but then ive kinda got used to the idea and now am looking forward to it :biggrin:
lol how much do u get paid???and lol ur looking for some excitement hmmm???(lol am kiddin :wink:)

lol wow! what do these things actually do tho???maybe thats why theyre expensive! and lol trust!

i dnt like GCSE IT either-it was a 22.5 hr practical thingy and i talked with friends thru it all (doing work when i had to)-teacher was shocked i got an A* (he hates me)
Im not a massive fan of Dappy. Some of his stuff I like, but not a lot. Tbh, I find it funny how popular a song about getting a bargain at a shop is so popular

(This un)

[video="youtube;QK8mJJJvaes"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK8mJJJvaes[/video]

And he doesn't have to rely on scantily clad girls to be popular...

lol im not a massive fan- i just like some of his songs...

I KNOW!!!! when i first heard it tho i was like wth (didnt like it) but then i kept hearing it (sis likes it) and then it grew on me. Now i kno nearly all the lyrics

am still tryin to learn busta rhymes part in this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyLR4NfMiI

:colondollar:
peek game come take a look through ma telescope :gangster:

I KNOW!!!! when i first heard it tho i was like wth (didnt like it) but then i kept hearing it (sis likes it) and then it grew on me. Now i kno nearly all the lyrics

R U MADD?- song lyrics? youll get whiplashed by ur uncle when he is nake*

go eat some spicy curry from chadry's cash and carry and sleep
my mom wants me to be a doctor-first i was like NO WAY but then ive kinda got used to the idea and now am looking forward to it :biggrin:
lol how much do u get paid???and lol ur looking for some excitement hmmm???(lol am kiddin :wink:)

lol wow! what do these things actually do tho???maybe thats why theyre expensive! and lol trust!

i dnt like GCSE IT either-it was a 22.5 hr practical thingy and i talked with friends thru it all (doing work when i had to)-teacher was shocked i got an A* (he hates me)

atm, not much, because Im on a student placement. Its kinda depressing to know that people at Aldi earn more than we do, for doing less work...

Though I don't pay any tax aside from NI, due to starting at the end of July and finishing on 30/07/2014.

The tax year is April to April :biggrin: Within that tax year, I don't earn enough to pay tax lol

BUT I get the experience, I get to add a big name company on my CV etc... :smile:

The industry standard pay seems to be around 40 - 60K (With experience and time)

And erm thanks, but I'd have to refuse. Also, Im sure that's borderline illegal...

Those fibre cables just act as "reference" cables. You get the network tester out, and before you test any cables, you have to set the reference (I've honestly no idea why) It then tests the cable, providing the length, if it passed etc...

It's not worth testing some cables due to how old they are, and I get to take home grey cables :smile:

Otherwise, fibre cables are like an expensive, faster version of ethernet cables that you have at home. They're made with glass, so they're pretty fragile (It's really really tiny glass) There was a cable that was faulty, and I thought I might as well cut it up. I cut it up, and I got to see the insides of the fibre cable

Tbf, that sounds like I MAY get in to it, after a while. If you're talking rap, like int that video, I kinda like stuff like this:

[video="youtube;S9bCLPwzSC0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bCLPwzSC0[/video]

Once my colleague's phone rang when he walked in to the organisation and it was blaring "I don't know what you heard about me" :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Lol. I work half 8 till 5. Go gym, come back around 7ish. Have around 4 - 5 hours/day time to myself. That's it :smile:

you're being too hard on yourself lol unis keeping me so busy, hating it more than ever...I want another vacation :frown:
what's up?

Congrats solja, I'm proud of you!
Original post by lilmissshady
you're being too hard on yourself lol unis keeping me so busy, hating it more than ever...I want another vacation :frown:
what's up?

LOl hardly. Eid's around the corner, so take some time off then? I've booked off three days, and I may take another one. I'm taking the 16th and 17th off and then I realised the next day was Friday, so might as well take that off, and come back on the Monday :smile:

If Eid's on the 15th, well Ill take that off as well I guess. Only got around 4 or 5 holidays left that I can take this year after those
atm, not much, because Im on a student placement. Its kinda depressing to know that people at Aldi earn more than we do, for doing less work...

Though I don't pay any tax aside from NI, due to starting at the end of July and finishing on 30/07/2014.

The tax year is April to April :biggrin: Within that tax year, I don't earn enough to pay tax lol

BUT I get the experience, I get to add a big name company on my CV etc... :smile:

The industry standard pay seems to be around 40 - 60K (With experience and time)

And erm thanks, but I'd have to refuse. Also, Im sure that's borderline illegal...

Those fibre cables just act as "reference" cables. You get the network tester out, and before you test any cables, you have to set the reference (I've honestly no idea why) It then tests the cable, providing the length, if it passed etc...

It's not worth testing some cables due to how old they are, and I get to take home grey cables :smile:

Otherwise, fibre cables are like an expensive, faster version of ethernet cables that you have at home. They're made with glass, so they're pretty fragile (It's really really tiny glass) There was a cable that was faulty, and I thought I might as well cut it up. I cut it up, and I got to see the insides of the fibre cable

Tbf, that sounds like I MAY get in to it, after a while. If you're talking rap, like int that video, I kinda like stuff like this:

[video="youtube;S9bCLPwzSC0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9bCLPwzSC0[/video]

Once my colleague's phone rang when he walked in to the organisation and it was blaring "I don't know what you heard about me" :tongue:

lol i was kiddin (seriously tho :biggrin:)
lol are the grey cables expensive? and what was the inside like????

dnt really like eminem (sorry)-hate his voice . hate pitball too in some songs like give me everything-has a freaky laugh (perv)

OMG was he embarrassed? what did he do????lol :biggrin:
Original post by lilmissshady
what's up?

aww thanks!!!! u shud be tho-it was hard. my mom's like "you should try really hard to get As and A*s in everything else now..."(got an A in french speaking!wooo!!!) so now the pressure's on. my big bro and sis got **** in theirs so my mom expects me to be the clever one-she has no idea how disappointed she's going to be lol:biggrin:
Reply 6116

(last one promise)

Trash again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVOUTkFkMNU

Try that.

Or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wutzv7JjX7k
lol i was kiddin (seriously tho :biggrin:)
lol are the grey cables expensive? and what was the inside like????

dnt really like eminem (sorry)-hate his voice . hate pitball too in some songs like give me everything-has a freaky laugh (perv)

OMG was he embarrassed? what did he do????lol :biggrin:

Lol I knew that :smile: Nah, they don't use grey cables any more. They colour code cables, depending on where they're needed these days. The grey ones just contain good ol' copper. Copper is soo much nicer to deal with :biggrin:

Really? Tbf, I can kinda see why Pitbull gives that vibe. Lol he did nothing. It's kinda funny, how we're at this big organisation, where you expect all sorts of formalities, and aside from policies/procedures and the dress code, there isn't much :biggrin:

Like when I had my interview, I turned my music down when I entered the car park. After a couple of days, I have my music in/out of the car park. Others do it :smile:

lol ok-its cool-lots of my friends hate rap too :biggrin:
songs are ok-first video (guy looks weird)-wouldve liked it even better wivout video as it kinda ruined it tho :colondollar:

otherwise theyre pretty good-considering that when me and someone else were discussing music, she said she liked screamo (i hate screamo)-didnt wanna offend her tho so sed nothing-awks.:biggrin:
Reply 6119
lol ok-its cool-lots of my friends hate rap too :biggrin:
songs are ok-first video (guy looks weird)-wouldve liked it even better wivout video as it kinda ruined it tho :colondollar:

otherwise theyre pretty good-considering that when me and someone else were discussing music, she said she liked screamo (i hate screamo)-didnt wanna offend her tho so sed nothing-awks.:biggrin:

He looks like David Tenant :unimpressed:

Latest