The Student Room Group

EPQ Y12 Ideas Infectious Diseases Stats

Hello, I am planning on doing the EPQ but i need some ideas on how to create a mathematical model on infectious disease such as imputing all the factors of incubation period, human behavior, likely spread of disease. Any ideas on what maths to use?
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by FrankHudd
Any ideas on what maths to use?

Yes. Maths that is too difficult for you.

More helpfully, unless you want an incredible simplistic model, you will need to think again.
Agreed - v hard maths and idea too simplistic - remember reading a project long time ago that someone had done looking at the spread of chickenpox and german measles in an area. Came up with a fancy model but failed to mention that, yes we know that CPox is more infections then GM, it is also far more likely to be diagnosed and reported/
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
Yes. Maths that is too difficult for you.

More helpfully, unless you want an incredible simplistic model, you will need to think again.

I can handle the maths, I am in contact with people at my school like teachers and a professor at a uni so If i have the basic maths to put in my proposal as a sample model. It does not have to be right but I need something on paper that includes Reproduction of Infection, Human Behavior, Stats of getting the infection ect...
Reply 5
Bump
Reply 6
Bump
Reply 7
Hello, Can someone recommend any textbooks for uni standard Stats as i am doing the EPQ and need higher level stats to work with to model infectious disease.
Reply 8
Bump
I can handle the maths

For ALL the factors of human behavior (sic)?

By the way, three bumps are enough for any thread.
Reply 10
Original post by Mr M
For ALL the factors of human behavior (sic)?

By the way, three bumps are enough for any thread.

No, not all of the human behavior just for the ones that are likely to aid to the spread of infection.
No, not all of the human behavior just for the ones that are likely to aid to the spread of infection.

Go on then. List them.
Reply 12
You're going to need to understand differential equations, even for the most simple models, along with bits of chaos theory for anything fancy. Do you?
Original post by BlueSam3
You're going to need to understand differential equations, even for the most simple models, along with bits of chaos theory for anything fancy. Do you?

And illness behaviour, diagnostic methods / coding / criteria, & case definitions.
Reply 14
What's your EPQ question? I'm doing my EPQ on the zika virus, but I don't really know how to frame my question so it's broad enough for deep analysis

And how are you using primary data and evaluating your topic at the same time??
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest