The Student Room Group

Medicine 2014 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I've heard that Edinburgh are more likely to take Scottish applicants than English ones for medicine, does anyone know if this has any founding?
Original post by findingmemo
Hi, I've heard that Edinburgh are more likely to take Scottish applicants than English ones for medicine, does anyone know if this has any founding?

Absolutely not true. There are more Scottish students in Scotland because they can't go to England for funding reasons, but English students can go anywhere in the UK, but there is no advantage in the application process for being Scottish.
Original post by findingmemo

For Scottish unis, they can accept a certain number of Scottish, RUK and International students. There may be differing numbers of places for each group, but they don't compete against each other.
Reply 683
Hey guys, I need your advice.. Ever since middle school I really wanted to study medicine at Edinburgh, and so I worked extremely hard and finally got 45 predicted (IB diploma) and 720 from my UKCAT.
But last week when I've talked to a career advisor who specializes in UCAS applications he said that it is very unlikely I would get into Edinburgh and told me to choose some other school like Nottingham instead, for "I should not waste one of only four applications for something as unobtainable as Edinburgh" (his words).
Is getting into Edinburgh really that impossible? :frown:
Original post by MedicalMaureen
what are your stats?

Points system: 19

AS: AAAB

1 week care home
1 week pharm
4 years charity

(I'm clearly lacking work exp/volunt in a medical setting.....)

Yours?
Reply 685
Original post by salmaed
Hey,
i think the predicted 5 in math SL isnt good enough, if u can push it up to a 6 then it would be better. But if ur only applying to 1 uni for medicine then i guess its OK ! Your ukcat is fine for edinbrugh.
best of luck

Yeah, I was a little concerned about the math score but I think I should be able to get maybe a 6 in history and my combined predicted score, I am told, should be around 38-39. The chances of me getting in are skewed to begin with (being an international student) but hopefully I at least stand a chance! Thanks for the input! :smile:
Original post by lucey
Hey guys, I need your advice.. Ever since middle school I really wanted to study medicine at Edinburgh, and so I worked extremely hard and finally got 45 predicted (IB diploma) and 720 from my UKCAT.
But last week when I've talked to a career advisor who specializes in UCAS applications he said that it is very unlikely I would get into Edinburgh and told me to choose some other school like Nottingham instead, for "I should not waste one of only four applications for something as unobtainable as Edinburgh" (his words).

I'm not going to say it's 'impossible', but it's pretty damn hard. The thing is, they still don't choose to interview undergraduates so your on-paper application has to be incredible. Most importantly, they have 190 places in their medical school, 103 of which are reserved for Scottish students. Definitely consider it carefully before you apply!
Reply 687
Original post by lucey

Your IB predicted and UKCAT scores are great, but I am guessing you're an international student? If you were british I would tell you to go ahead and apply, and to also keep your other 3 places as safety schools that you are sure you can get an interview in. But if you're international, don't apply... unfortunately your adviser is right.
Reply 688
Original post by dede-1234
Yeah, I was a little concerned about the math score but I think I should be able to get maybe a 6 in history and my combined predicted score, I am told, should be around 38-39. The chances of me getting in are skewed to begin with (being an international student) but hopefully I at least stand a chance! Thanks for the input! :smile:

Im an international student and i do IB as well so I feel your pain :P
Reply 689
I have already achieved A*AA in my A levels
655 average UKCAT
Got a decent amount of work experience and voluntary work
However my extra curricular is poor as i have no proof for what i actually do

Can someone please recommend a uni? which does not put much emphasis on extra curric?

Thanks people!
Original post by Brightbud
I have already achieved A*AA in my A levels
655 average UKCAT
Got a decent amount of work experience and voluntary work
However my extra curricular is poor as i have no proof for what i actually do

Can someone please recommend a uni? which does not put much emphasis on extra curric?

Thanks people!

You don't need any proof for your ECs! I put down zumba and scrapbooking - and my unis had no proof I did them! I also mentioned St John Ambulance - but that was more volunteering than EC.
Reply 691
Original post by Natalie21
You don't need any proof for your ECs! I put down zumba and scrapbooking - and my unis had no proof I did them! I also mentioned St John Ambulance - but that was more volunteering than EC.

Thanks for the reply ,does this not weaken my application?

Btw are you a med student or an applicant?

The point of the ec's is to show you have other interests besides from studying and also do something productive with your time. Also if hey really want to check if you are telling the truth then they will just ask about it in interview, i imagine it'll be blindly obvious if you had lied.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 693
Original post by BarryIsMyName
The point of the ec's is to show you have other interests besides from studying and also do something productive with your time. Also if hey really want to check if you are telling the truth then they will just ask about it in interview, i imagine it'll be blindly obvious if you had lied.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm i see your point, its just that people on here seem to have alot of things such as DOE and grade x piano or another instrument and other stuff.

So it just made me feel as though i didn't have a strong enough ec para compared to other students...

Nope the main point of ecs as pointed out above is to show you have spare time to do things / have good time management / have ways to relax etc - what you do in that time doesn't really matter!

I'm a fresher, starting at Cambridge next week :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 695
pic1.pngHellooo I have applied for the standard undergraduate entry medicine a100. My sixth form coordinator told me to put the point of entry as year 0, so I did and now on track it says 'Start from: Foundation year'. Is that fine or has there been some problem?
Thankss :s-smilie:
Original post by studnetMo
pic1.pngHellooo I have applied for the standard undergraduate entry medicine a100. My sixth form coordinator told me to put the point of entry as year 0, so I did and now on track it says 'Start from: Foundation year'. Is that fine or has there been some problem?
Thankss :s-smilie:

You should put year 1 if you are apply to a standard course. Year 0 is for those applying to foundation 6 year course

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 697
Original post by Natalie21
Nope the main point of ecs as pointed out above is to show you have spare time to do things / have good time management / have ways to relax etc - what you do in that time doesn't really matter!

I'm a fresher, starting at Cambridge next week :smile:.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woah that is amazing good luck and have fun! and thanks for the tips!
Reply 698
Original post by babychocolate
You should put year 1 if you are apply to a standard course. Year 0 is for those applying to foundation 6 year course

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow okay thanks for that. I am bloody stressed now.. How on earth can my college eff me over like that :frown: I will try my best to sort it out from here
Reply 699
Would like to apply to Newcastle however my ukcat is 697.5 and not sure if this would be too risky. Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending