The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

We use a clapping sequence in our class, clap a little rhyme and the class has to clap along meaning that they have to remove anything in their hands,

Or simply wait for their attention, yes it might take a by of time, but if you start talking over them, then they feel it's acceptable to talk over the teacher, and they'll walk all over you,

Another one, we raise our hand, and wait until the class raises their hand with a finger on their lips to signify this is quiet and you must listen :-)
X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Quite a good day today :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sunfowers01

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2423
Original post by sunfowers01

Posted from TSR Mobile

:awesome:
Who's yet to start placement? My uni has only placed a handful of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I start on the 7th :-) excited! Out of 160 of us 30 haven't been placed x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Frankenstein
I start on the 7th :-) excited! Out of 160 of us 30 haven't been placed x

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a good rate. We're way off that I think. But hopefully it'll iron out soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Advice
That's a good rate. We're way off that I think. But hopefully it'll iron out soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I start on Monday! Out of 18 of us, 2 weren't placed a few days ago. That's down to 1 unplaced now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2428
Original post by Kidders
Now into my 3rd month of the secondary PGCE course and i can honestly say i have never looked forward to Xmas quite as much as i currently am! This has been the hardest few months i have ever experienced. Such a massive amount of work to be done all the time. Lesson plans still taking me hours and I'm never more than a day ahead of myself! Assignment due in 2 weeks and not even beyond the introduction. Getting home at 5pm every night due to the distance of my placement school and leaving at 7:20am every morning. Weekends written off and relationship with my partner suffering!

Anyone else feel this way too?

Also a little reminder to all those wanting to apply for next year; this is CERTAINLY not an option for you if you're doing it just to put off finding a job! HUGE step up from undergrad degree!! (i think the MA students are a little better prepared)

Rant over. :colondollar:

I did PGCE sec science. If you think PGCE is difficult, wait till you get a teaching job in an inner city sec school. Don't do it. Finish the PGCE but get out at the starting line. Premature ageing? First step : get a teaching job. It puts 'years' on you.
Reply 2429
I got a job, til xmas for now, as a Nursery teacher!!! Hurrah!!!

Exciting stuff :smile:

xxx
Original post by Mr Advice
Who's yet to start placement? My uni has only placed a handful of people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I start on the 8th, for two days a week. Still have absolutely no idea where I'm going- I'm not in uni yet though so hopefully I'll find out when the induction week starts on monday
Reply 2431
I remember filling a thick folio with lesson plans. Heavy to carry. WE were told to be devotees of the LP by the University. At the end of the course, I asked my supervisor if he wanted to see them. His answer? WE don't need to see your lesson plans. That was for your purposes. If I could have smashed him over the head with the LP folder and got away with it at that time!!

Having worked as a teacher, you only need a small handbook for a LP and, in time, it can all be done in your head. It becomes automatic. Like driving a car or riding a cycle.

The structure of a LP is cyclical, e.g. LP1

1. learning aims/goals/objectives
2. teaching techniques and methods to deliver [1]
3. Resources required to deliver [1]
4. Assessment/evaluation/marking : have the learning objectives been achieved?
Yes? to LP2
No? return to and recapitulate LP1. etc, etc
So whaat exactly is a PGCE??? I've never heard of it :/
Reply 2433
Original post by Carrot_Cake
So whaat exactly is a PGCE??? I've never heard of it :/

Post Graduate Certificate In Education. Initial teacher training qualification for graduates entering schoolteaching. When I got mine, it also meant automatic state registration as as teacher. I can still remember my DFES number. They say prisoners never forget their prison number.
Original post by sean1960
Post Graduate Certificate In Education. Initial teacher training qualification for graduates entering schoolteaching. When I got mine, it also meant automatic state registration as as teacher. I can still remember my DFES number. They say prisoners never forget their prison number.

So you need to do that course in order to become a teacher?
Reply 2435
Original post by sean1960
I remember filling a thick folio with lesson plans. Heavy to carry. WE were told to be devotees of the LP by the University. At the end of the course, I asked my supervisor if he wanted to see them. His answer? WE don't need to see your lesson plans. That was for your purposes. If I could have smashed him over the head with the LP folder and got away with it at that time!!

Having worked as a teacher, you only need a small handbook for a LP and, in time, it can all be done in your head. It becomes automatic. Like driving a car or riding a cycle.

The structure of a LP is cyclical, e.g. LP1

1. learning aims/goals/objectives
2. teaching techniques and methods to deliver [1]
3. Resources required to deliver [1]
4. Assessment/evaluation/marking : have the learning objectives been achieved?
Yes? to LP2
No? return to and recapitulate LP1. etc, etc

We had lots of lesson plans to do, but as we went through the course they encouraged us to slowly change how we did them to develop our own formats that work for us. It is a LOT of paperwork but it does at least help you realise what you need and what you don't!

Also, how you do them in your career is also dependent on whether your school requires a certain format :smile:

My personal pet peeve is writing assessment notes on the plans after the session... I don't want them there because then I will miss them in the future! Notes on what worked/didn't and a highlight to show whether objectives were met I'm fine with, but if I make notes on individual children I just think how am I ever going to find these when I want to find out about that child in the future!

xxx
Reply 2436
Original post by Carrot_Cake
So you need to do that course in order to become a teacher?

I'm not so certain about that now. But I think you probably still need a state recognised TT qualification to teach in the state sector. When I was training, private sector schools were taking graduates without TT. As were FE colleges.
Reply 2437
Original post by kpwxx

My personal pet peeve is writing assessment notes on the plans after the session... I don't want them there because then I will miss them in the future! Notes on what worked/didn't and a highlight to show whether objectives were met I'm fine with, but if I make notes on individual children I just think how am I ever going to find these when I want to find out about that child in the future!

xxx

Oh yes. I recall doing all that. When I started teaching chemistry in a local comprehensive I thought to myself, what the hell was all that for...Sometimes you spent half of your time just creating the conditions in the classroom so that the teaching-learning process could actually take place.
Reply 2438
School Direct, week 4, having a bit of a meltdown, support appreciated!...
Original post by lantan
School Direct, week 4, having a bit of a meltdown, support appreciated!...

Primary? Secondary? What's making you feel this way?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply