The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster Uni: Official Students 13/14!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Is anyone else going out of their comfort zone when choosing their minor subject(s)? I still havent chosen which subjects i want to take so i might wait until freshers?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 921
Original post by Orthrus
I can only imagine how painful it's gonna be for them when they come back for holidays :lol: Haha True, sand is unbelievably annoying, but there's not much that can top having a barbeque on the beach with friends for me :smile: Have you ever been away from your parents for very long before? I think that tends to help them get through it easier :') Hahaha, it was just a tedious topic, otherwise i used to love history! My teachers were genuinely shocked when i didn't choose it as an alevel... and so was i actually! I made a last gasp swap to sociology on enrollment day :tongue: Hmmm, that sounds really interesting, it differs a lot from the EPQs i heard some of my college's history class taking - theirs generally stuck to 20th century british politics :L I love writing the first draft of an essay, but i really hate the later drafts because i take so long to trim it - i always think it's a masterpiece first time :rolleyes:

Haha oh god i know :') so expensive on trains as well! if you go down south i mean, its actually alright from lancaster-leeds, thankfully! hm i suppose but if you've never had it you cant miss it :wink: I think longest I've been is like a week on trips/visits to the bf and stuff :') i think it has helped them adjust abit though :smile: History is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreaaat! errr why would you wanna do that, history >>>>>>>sociology :wink: 20th century british politics is snooze. American history is one of my favs tbh :') hahah i like redrafting when its just to make it sound better, but i hate it when its to cut words down, and you just end up feeling like you're making it sound worse and worse :')
Reply 922
Original post by Orthrus
It's napoleon: total war - I've always had a soft spot for history and strategy games :colondollar: You know, your work ethic for the entire year was doomed the second you bought both Sims 3 and skyrim, right? The only games i remember playing when i was young was age of empires and civilisation, and they were both my older sister's.

I know, maybe people get put of by the 'analyse bones until we solve the crime' aspect of it without actually giving it a chance? I like Hawaii five-0 as well, but i've never given whitechapel much of a chance - might do next time i need distraction! :smile: I'm no good with those normal people either since i'm not football mad enough for some of my more laddy mates, and too laidback about games for my more nerdy friends :rolleyes: But game of thrones is definitely one of my fortes!

Hahaha, well while you've been slacking, i've finished packing today! It started with me just choosing what i was planning on bringing, and then ended a few hours later with me heaving my suitcase(s) down the stairs :tongue:

No, i'm fine with them, and i'm going with my mam - therein lies the problem! She makes me do the directions and then doesn't believe me!! -_- i might carry a few stress balls.

I never got into age of empires or civilisation, I went back and played dungeon keeper, theme hospital and black and white this summer they are sort of strategy games but they are the ones I never completed when I was younger :P
I haven't played them for the last two days and I've had both games since they came out so hopefully I don't get too distracted when I get there :s

Bones is one of those shows as well especially in the newer series where you need to watch episodes in order because they link and the characters all have great chemistry which makes the show but I guess if you just watch the odd episode you might not get it. My game knowledge is very limited but most guys seem to take pity on me and at least I seem sort of interested so some help with conversation others I am definitely not nerdy enough with. I would be hopeless with sport conversation's I don't watch or follow anything remotely sporty. That's good I think Game of Thrones is quite popular so there is one conversation starter you might find one more person in your flat who watches it :P I watch quite a mix of TV so hopefully can have something in common with most people, I hope although not Geordie Shore or Towie stuff I have stayed far away from that :smile:

Wow that is good packing well done and someone who finished early as well, that's impressive. I've done a lot more today finished all my clothes, may have had to sit on the suitcase so it would close but I got it all in :biggrin:
I've packed all my kitchen stuff as well and went through a couple of the bags in my room. I've just started leaving bags and boxes downstairs in some places when they are packed so my parents are probably not too please but ah well hopefully I wont forget one :smile:

I am not looking forward to moving everything in though, I heard none of the accommodation has lifts because most are just three floors so I can guarantee I would have to lug everything to the top floor and I haven't been looking at weight when I've been packing so it will take about ten trips!

Oh wow that sounds fun :s I have no sense of direction at all so would be hopeless at that. So happy we have a sat nav, although I get lost following that if I'm driving anywhere on my own :colondollar:
Stress balls and possibly something to bite down on so you don't scream in frustration :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 923
Are people bringing some food with them, or planning to go shopping once they're there?
Reply 924
Original post by WWEGirl
Are people bringing some food with them, or planning to go shopping once they're there?

Nope, I think my mum has stocked me for a harsh winter.
Not really. But I do have a lot of stuff.
Reply 925
Original post by Prendah
Nope, I think my mum has stocked me for a harsh winter.
Not really. But I do have a lot of stuff.

Oh gosh... I feel like I'm already taking too much stuff!
Reply 926
Original post by WWEGirl
Oh gosh... I feel like I'm already taking too much stuff!

Either way is fine, it would probably be easier to get the food separate rather than lug it around with your luggage.
Reply 927
Original post by HannahS95
Haha oh god i know :') so expensive on trains as well! if you go down south i mean, its actually alright from lancaster-leeds, thankfully! hm i suppose but if you've never had it you cant miss it :wink: I think longest I've been is like a week on trips/visits to the bf and stuff :') i think it has helped them adjust abit though :smile: History is grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreaaat! errr why would you wanna do that, history >>>>>>>sociology :wink: 20th century british politics is snooze. American history is one of my favs tbh :') hahah i like redrafting when its just to make it sound better, but i hate it when its to cut words down, and you just end up feeling like you're making it sound worse and worse :')

Oh, i know! I once went on a trip to swansea to visit a sister, and the train prices were ridiculous! I took the coach for £20 instead, but it took 5-6 hours D: Newcastle-Lancaster is okay though Week long trips and the little day trips you've been doing lately will be more than enough i'm sure - I bet they'll just see you moving away as an extended, stress free holiday now :smile: That 'history is great' sentence might have just earned you the nickname of Tony the Tiger from me :wink: Ouch! I'll have you know that sociology was a perfectly good subject... Okay okay, I picked it so i'd have something less taxing and easy to drop in A2 :L
Yeah, like there's the okay kind of redrafting where you're polishing it off and making it flow, but i always have to do that hatchet job redraft at some point since i always go over word limits :hmmm:
Isn't it crazy that this is now our last day of being home? :')

Original post by katie55
I never got into age of empires or civilisation, I went back and played dungeon keeper, theme hospital and black and white this summer they are sort of strategy games but they are the ones I never completed when I was younger :P
I haven't played them for the last two days and I've had both games since they came out so hopefully I don't get too distracted when I get there :s

Bones is one of those shows as well especially in the newer series where you need to watch episodes in order because they link and the characters all have great chemistry which makes the show but I guess if you just watch the odd episode you might not get it. My game knowledge is very limited but most guys seem to take pity on me and at least I seem sort of interested so some help with conversation others I am definitely not nerdy enough with. I would be hopeless with sport conversation's I don't watch or follow anything remotely sporty. That's good I think Game of Thrones is quite popular so there is one conversation starter you might find one more person in your flat who watches it :P I watch quite a mix of TV so hopefully can have something in common with most people, I hope although not Geordie Shore or Towie stuff I have stayed far away from that :smile:

Wow that is good packing well done and someone who finished early as well, that's impressive. I've done a lot more today finished all my clothes, may have had to sit on the suitcase so it would close but I got it all in :biggrin:
I've packed all my kitchen stuff as well and went through a couple of the bags in my room. I've just started leaving bags and boxes downstairs in some places when they are packed so my parents are probably not too please but ah well hopefully I wont forget one :smile:

I am not looking forward to moving everything in though, I heard none of the accommodation has lifts because most are just three floors so I can guarantee I would have to lug everything to the top floor and I haven't been looking at weight when I've been packing so it will take about ten trips!

Oh wow that sounds fun :s I have no sense of direction at all so would be hopeless at that. So happy we have a sat nav, although I get lost following that if I'm driving anywhere on my own :colondollar:
Stress balls and possibly something to bite down on so you don't scream in frustration :P

Fair enough, sometimes even i sit there and wonder what the hell i'm doing when i play them - Black and white and theme hospital definitely seem like the stuff i used to play back in the day! Not so sure about dungeon keeper though, is it kind of similar to those tower defence games? I'm sure you'll be fine... maybe. I just find it funny you chose two of the most addictive games i've heard of :laugh:

Yeah, because the interactions between the characters is a lot more central than with some other crime type shows, they wouldn't work very well as stand alone episodes. What i've usually done is get those big games that i play with all my mates - the fifas, call of duty series, that sort of stuff - and the rest are the less commercial ones that appeal just to me :') Ahhh, sport isn't much of a conversation starter unless if you go up to someone and say "Did you see that ludicrous display last night? ..." - but then i'm just quoting the IT crowd :P my biggest worry is that one of my flat mates will use a geordie shore/towie/big brother conversation starter on me because i will be absolutely useless in that chat! I'm sure you'll be fine, even if you can't immediatly find common ground, you can always stick to the well worn topics of course, hometown, or drinking :smile:

Haha, I just didn't want to give the mother a chance to try take things out that she didn't think i'd need - Good god, i have a lot of things! There's all of tomorrow to do everything else, so you're well on schedule! I sat on mine, shut it, and then realised i hadn't opened the expansion zip thing so needn't have crushed it all in. I'm glad it's not just me doing that, i have all sorts of bags and boxes packed underneath the stairs, slyly hidden away from my mam's eyes so she won't complain :wink:

I know, it's going to be a nightmare if i'm on the top floor or something as i barely managed to carry my stuff down one flight of stairs! As a lad, i'm of course honour bound to try to do the mighty one trip. so if you hear about a fresher who was hospitalised while moving in, it was probably me :P

I think you should trade me your sat nav in exchange for everlasting my respect and admiration :') I might use my phone's gps this time now that i have an in car charger, so less arguing and stress! :biggrin:
Reply 928
I remember seeing someone wondering about how much stuff would fit in their room - like tv sizes and storage. Well i found this older thread that gives some good answers and there's a tv size specific post at the bottom of the first page: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=901010

Mind though, the thread only really applies to the superior/superior ensuite type rooms.
Reply 929
Does anyone know whether we'll have an iron in our block? I think that there's an ironing board.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 930
Original post by Orthrus

Fair enough, sometimes even i sit there and wonder what the hell i'm doing when i play them - Black and white and theme hospital definitely seem like the stuff i used to play back in the day! Not so sure about dungeon keeper though, is it kind of similar to those tower defence games? I'm sure you'll be fine... maybe. I just find it funny you chose two of the most addictive games i've heard of :laugh:

Yeah, because the interactions between the characters is a lot more central than with some other crime type shows, they wouldn't work very well as stand alone episodes. What i've usually done is get those big games that i play with all my mates - the fifas, call of duty series, that sort of stuff - and the rest are the less commercial ones that appeal just to me :') Ahhh, sport isn't much of a conversation starter unless if you go up to someone and say "Did you see that ludicrous display last night? ..." - but then i'm just quoting the IT crowd :P my biggest worry is that one of my flat mates will use a geordie shore/towie/big brother conversation starter on me because i will be absolutely useless in that chat! I'm sure you'll be fine, even if you can't immediatly find common ground, you can always stick to the well worn topics of course, hometown, or drinking :smile:

Haha, I just didn't want to give the mother a chance to try take things out that she didn't think i'd need - Good god, i have a lot of things! There's all of tomorrow to do everything else, so you're well on schedule! I sat on mine, shut it, and then realised i hadn't opened the expansion zip thing so needn't have crushed it all in. I'm glad it's not just me doing that, i have all sorts of bags and boxes packed underneath the stairs, slyly hidden away from my mam's eyes so she won't complain :wink:

I know, it's going to be a nightmare if i'm on the top floor or something as i barely managed to carry my stuff down one flight of stairs! As a lad, i'm of course honour bound to try to do the mighty one trip. so if you hear about a fresher who was hospitalised while moving in, it was probably me :P

I think you should trade me your sat nav in exchange for everlasting my respect and admiration :') I might use my phone's gps this time now that i have an in car charger, so less arguing and stress! :biggrin:

All three of the games are made by the same person, Dungeon keeper you are underground and you have to dig gold and space so you can build rooms and each room means you can have a different creature enter through a portal, so library you get a Sorcerer, workshop you get a troll etc. up to a certain amount per portal. You usually have a task per game where you have to invade the enemy who are trying to destroy you and gets more difficult with each level. It's actually a really good game :smile:

It wasn't my best plan to install them, although I had a weird dream last night linked to this conversation and for some reason I had bought Tinkerbell bedding and it came with a game of it and I remember thinking oh dear that's three games now :colondollar:

They are the most common questions, it's usually what's your name, what are you studying and where are you from. One of my friends got so fed up with it last year he started saying his course after his second name when he was introducing himself to people.

I had the expansion open on mine and still had to sit on it, my Dad wasn't impressed he told me I had packed far too much and should use another case because I would break that one. I was pleased I had managed to fit almost every item of clothing I own into just one suitcase and got it closed :P
That's a good plan hiding everything hope it all fits in the car for you and hope you don't forget something with it all hidden away like that. I've moved a few things into the conservatory to try and hide them out the way, but I wanted most things in the same place so I don't forget anything. Todays my last day of packing so I hope I get it all done in time.

That's the good thing about being a girl I can see with suitcases and heavy bags me and my mum will be carrying one item between us. The amount of things you said you have, one trip seems very unlikely but good luck and let me know how it goes.

As much as I would love you everlasting respect I need the sat nav. Good luck with your phone. I've had to use mine before and I couldn't watch the screen as I had to put in on the other seat, the volume doesn't go loud enough and most of the directions were take the next left as I drove past it. It took me five attempts to figure out one of the towns weird systems to get onto the right road. I stay away from town centres as much as possible they are far too confusing.
Original post by Envelopes
Is anyone else going out of their comfort zone when choosing their minor subject(s)? I still havent chosen which subjects i want to take so i might wait until freshers?

I stuck in my comfort zone with two English Language subjects and Sociology which I did at sixth form. I was going to go out of my comfort zone completely but I just want to do well in my exams and not struggle!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 932
Original post by laurenlcollier
I stuck in my comfort zone with two English Language subjects and Sociology which I did at sixth form. I was going to go out of my comfort zone completely but I just want to do well in my exams and not struggle!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing! I have left it until freshers so I have more time to decide on which ones I want to take.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 933
Original post by katie55
All three of the games are made by the same person, Dungeon keeper you are underground and you have to dig gold and space so you can build rooms and each room means you can have a different creature enter through a portal, so library you get a Sorcerer, workshop you get a troll etc. up to a certain amount per portal. You usually have a task per game where you have to invade the enemy who are trying to destroy you and gets more difficult with each level. It's actually a really good game :smile:

It wasn't my best plan to install them, although I had a weird dream last night linked to this conversation and for some reason I had bought Tinkerbell bedding and it came with a game of it and I remember thinking oh dear that's three games now :colondollar:

They are the most common questions, it's usually what's your name, what are you studying and where are you from. One of my friends got so fed up with it last year he started saying his course after his second name when he was introducing himself to people.

I had the expansion open on mine and still had to sit on it, my Dad wasn't impressed he told me I had packed far too much and should use another case because I would break that one. I was pleased I had managed to fit almost every item of clothing I own into just one suitcase and got it closed :P
That's a good plan hiding everything hope it all fits in the car for you and hope you don't forget something with it all hidden away like that. I've moved a few things into the conservatory to try and hide them out the way, but I wanted most things in the same place so I don't forget anything. Todays my last day of packing so I hope I get it all done in time.

That's the good thing about being a girl I can see with suitcases and heavy bags me and my mum will be carrying one item between us. The amount of things you said you have, one trip seems very unlikely but good luck and let me know how it goes.

As much as I would love you everlasting respect I need the sat nav. Good luck with your phone. I've had to use mine before and I couldn't watch the screen as I had to put in on the other seat, the volume doesn't go loud enough and most of the directions were take the next left as I drove past it. It took me five attempts to figure out one of the towns weird systems to get onto the right road. I stay away from town centres as much as possible they are far too confusing.

That sounds really quite interesting, i'll keep an eye out for it! But then again, i'm no good with games like that - i'd go on to play one during a short break and then find it's midnight when i stop! Hmm, it's going to take all my will power not to splurge on these games when my loan comes in. :')

Hahaha, surely you should have thought oh god, i have tinkerbell bedding? :laugh: You should probably steer clear of whatever you ate before bed last night, it was clearly strong and strange stuff!

I've heard of putting a note up on your door with all that info on, but i've never heard of that! I really hope people mistook his course for his last name for the rest of the year, that'd be great! :P

I think parents will always tell their kids they've packed too much because i did the exact same thing, and got the exact same response :') i've spent a lot of today just trying to craftily squeeze things into already full bags, so it's safe to say my stuff is at the brim! I've sort of amassed my stuff by the door now, ready to put in the car before i go to bed just so i don't have to fit it in while on a time limit :tongue:

To be fair, i have my mam and sister helping out so i'm not gonna go try break my back or something. But'll still take the heaviest stuff of course (they're not as young and fit as they were

Yeah, we drove through some crazy zig zag town centre back in february - it must have taken a good 20mins just to get out of that maze. I look forward to taking trains and letting the driver do the work :biggrin:
Reply 934
Original post by Orthrus
Oh, i know! I once went on a trip to swansea to visit a sister, and the train prices were ridiculous! I took the coach for £20 instead, but it took 5-6 hours D: Newcastle-Lancaster is okay though Week long trips and the little day trips you've been doing lately will be more than enough i'm sure - I bet they'll just see you moving away as an extended, stress free holiday now :smile: That 'history is great' sentence might have just earned you the nickname of Tony the Tiger from me :wink: Ouch! I'll have you know that sociology was a perfectly good subject... Okay okay, I picked it so i'd have something less taxing and easy to drop in A2 :L
Yeah, like there's the okay kind of redrafting where you're polishing it off and making it flow, but i always have to do that hatchet job redraft at some point since i always go over word limits :hmmm:
Isn't it crazy that this is now our last day of being home? :')

Aah I'd rather pay more money and get a train but that's just me! Tbh it would never even occur to me to get the coach :') haha yeah exactly, though I imagine it's really strange to suddenly have no children at home :') haha it is what I was referencing :wink: hahah I never said it wasn't, I just said history was better :wink: I was going to take sociology as my fifth at AS then decided to only do four and have more frees :') god my a level choices were awful, but nvm! Still got good grades and a uni place so it's all good! God it is just the worst, i had it with my history coursework :') wound me up even more that since our teacher wouldn't penalise for going over some people just went over and hoped theirs wouldn't be moderated -_- it's totally crazy, not sunk in at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 935
Do we need to bring our GCSE certificates with us?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 936
Original post by Orthrus
That sounds really quite interesting, i'll keep an eye out for it! But then again, i'm no good with games like that - i'd go on to play one during a short break and then find it's midnight when i stop! Hmm, it's going to take all my will power not to splurge on these games when my loan comes in. :')

Hahaha, surely you should have thought oh god, i have tinkerbell bedding? :laugh: You should probably steer clear of whatever you ate before bed last night, it was clearly strong and strange stuff!

I've heard of putting a note up on your door with all that info on, but i've never heard of that! I really hope people mistook his course for his last name for the rest of the year, that'd be great! :P

I think parents will always tell their kids they've packed too much because i did the exact same thing, and got the exact same response :') i've spent a lot of today just trying to craftily squeeze things into already full bags, so it's safe to say my stuff is at the brim! I've sort of amassed my stuff by the door now, ready to put in the car before i go to bed just so i don't have to fit it in while on a time limit :tongue:

To be fair, i have my mam and sister helping out so i'm not gonna go try break my back or something. But'll still take the heaviest stuff of course (they're not as young and fit as they were

Yeah, we drove through some crazy zig zag town centre back in february - it must have taken a good 20mins just to get out of that maze. I look forward to taking trains and letting the driver do the work :biggrin:

It's quite addictive but it's very old it took me a while to figure out how to change the settings on my computer so it would run properly. It always used to be in the cheap section that Game had but I don't even know if they would sell it anymore.

I think my thought process was more, 'hmm that's interesting' but yes if that was real I might be a bit more shocked by it. I had cheesecake before bed so definitely not going to avoid that :P

I think's he proud that people still associate it with him strangely.

Well done for doing that I still haven't finished and I am probably leaving in a few hours but ah well :smile:

I seem to have piled everything into giant boxes or suitcases so some are very heavy and I'm not very big or strong so will probably need help if I have to carry it far.

Trains are good if you manage to get on the right one and learn to navigate the stations, but they often get delayed so if you have a connecting train it can be a bit scary. I tend to book them separately to give me more time. It's a bit depressing because when they announce the train is delayed they always tell you why and it's normally because someone has jumped in front of the train. Unfortunately I've probably only been on ten this year and two have been delayed by that :/

Moving to a happier topic have fun today and hope you have great flat mates and have a great first day/night :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Envelopes
Do we need to bring our GCSE certificates with us?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think I'm just gonna take everything! Best to be safe than sorry. Plus, your family could take them back home if you find you don't need them! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 938
Original post by laurenlcollier
Think I'm just gonna take everything! Best to be safe than sorry. Plus, your family could take them back home if you find you don't need them! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! You too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 939
Original post by Loketoki
Does anyone know whether we'll have an iron in our block? I think that there's an ironing board.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, there will be.

Not that anyone ever uses it.

Quick Reply