The Student Room Group

Lancaster Medicine A100 Applicants (2014 Entry)

Hi, just thought I'd start a thread for Lancaster medicine applicants as there doesn't seem to be one yet!

I'm a resitter applying to Lancaster, Liverpool and Exeter medical schools... Decided to give it another shot!

Some useful info for this year's (and future) applicants :

Lancaster is a small city in the north-west of England, next to the Peak District. About an hour's drive north of Liverpool.

Collegiate, campus university, nine colleges (one of them is a graduate college)

Lancaster Medical School website

Twitter for Lancaster Medical School

Facebook Page for Lancaster Medical School
They seem to update Facebook with details about the application process throughout the year, so it's good to keep an eye out!

2013/2014 stats:

Applications: >900

Interviews: 220 (200 UK/EU, 20 international)

Places: 54 (50 UK/EU, 4 international)

Post-interview responses began on 5th March 2014.

Spoiler

If you're a prospective Lancaster Medical School applicant or a current student, feel free to join in!
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

im a resitter too! i had an offer last year from lancaster but ended up getting AAB. Im applying to liverpool and exeter too (maybe brighton). But im already at a disadvantage since i dont have extenuating circumstances, so theyre gonna dock me points from my PS score
Reply 2
Original post by kenwyne-jones
im a resitter too! i had an offer last year from lancaster but ended up getting AAB. Im applying to liverpool and exeter too (maybe brighton). But im already at a disadvantage since i dont have extenuating circumstances, so theyre gonna dock me points from my PS score

Yay another resitter! :thumbsup:
My mitigating circumstances aren't that strong so I don't think it'll be considered tbh. Is selection for interview just based on PS and GCSEs then?
So you did MMI last time right?? Any tips? :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hiya, I am a Lancaster applicant too. I have got AAAA in Phy, chem, Bio and Maths and I am predicted A*A*A*A*A* in Bio, chem , phy, Maths and Urdu ( Language ). I have got equivalent GCSE's in which I got 96% and Lancaster is happy to accept my equivalent GCSE's. I know Lancaster is too PS heavy any tips on what are they mainly looking for in the PS?
I am applying to Lancaster too:smile:
Reply 5
Heeey,

another resitter here, hehe.

Hoping to apply to liverpool , lancaster, exeter , plymouth. Risky choices but has to be done. recieved 4 pre interview rejections last year.

My stats are.
Gcse-4A* 7As
As-AABB
Alevel- AAB
Predicted A- in chem resit

Ukcat score - 702,5 ( 610-720-640-840).

How are my chances looking, especially for exeter/plymouth which seem to be very ukcat heavy.

where are you guys applying/what are your stats like.

:smile:
Also applying here :smile:

NB: IF ANY REAPPLICANTS ARE REAPPLYING HERE YOU NEED TO SIGNIFICANTLY CHANGE YOUR ORIGINAL STATEMENT IN ORDER TO AVOID BEEN ACCUSED OF PLAGIARISM (EVEN IF IT IS PLAGIARISM FROM YOURSELF).

Initially I thought you were able to use as much of your old statement as you wanted but I contacted admissions and said it had to be change significantly. Just wanted to let people know and good luck!! :crossedf:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by CasualSoul
Also applying here :smile:

NB: IF ANY REAPPLICANTS ARE REAPPLYING HERE YOU NEED TO SIGNIFICANTLY CHANGE YOUR ORIGINAL STATEMENT IN ORDER TO AVOID BEEN ACCUSED OF PLAGIARISM (EVEN IF IT IS PLAGIARISM FROM YOURSELF).

Initially I thought you were able to use as much of your old statement as you wanted but I contacted admissions and said it had to be change significantly. Just wanted to let people know and good luck!! :crossedf:

According to ucas you can't plagiarise your own ps

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mutlibd1
According to ucas you can't plagiarise your own ps

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's exactly what I thought.

but then I sent the following:

I was reading the admissions policy regarding plagiarism. It states:

"Lancaster Medical School is notified by UCAS if they find evidence of plagiarism in
the personalstatement of any of the applicants to our medical degree programme. This might occur
if an applicant copies sections of another’s personal statement or if they re-apply without
significantly revising their own personal statement. Lancaster Medical School reserves the right to
automatically reject such applications."

Does this mean that all reapplicants must submit brand new statements. Consequently, if they were reapplying and managed to obtain an interview invite the first time they could not use the same statement/a statement with only minor alterations and so would have to significantly change their original statement it in order to avoid plagiarism?

Thank you.

I've copied her response below:

Hello,

You would need to significantly revise your personal statement in order to avoid plagiarism. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Given what you've just said though it's all a bit confusing. :ahhhhh:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
hi, im feeling concerned now!.

Im not worrried about lancaster, its my first time applying. im applying to liverpool aslo but i havent seen them state anything the same, Tbh my ps is alot different to before. i recieved pre interview rejections so i had to change my ps alot. Its just alittle concerning
Original post by CasualSoul
that's exactly what I thought.

but then I sent the following:

I was reading the admissions policy regarding plagiarism. It states:

"Lancaster Medical School is notified by UCAS if they find evidence of plagiarism in
the personalstatement of any of the applicants to our medical degree programme. This might occur
if an applicant copies sections of another’s personal statement or if they re-apply without
significantly revising their own personal statement. Lancaster Medical School reserves the right to
automatically reject such applications."

Does this mean that all reapplicants must submit brand new statements. Consequently, if they were reapplying and managed to obtain an interview invite the first time they could not use the same statement/a statement with only minor alterations and so would have to significantly change their original statement it in order to avoid plagiarism?

Thank you.

I've copied her response below:

Hello,

You would need to significantly revise your personal statement in order to avoid plagiarism. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Given what you've just said though it's all a bit confusing. :ahhhhh:

Im not worrried about lancaster, its my first time applying. im applying to liverpool aslo but i havent seen them state anything the same, Tbh my ps is alot different to before. i recieved pre interview rejections so i had to change my ps alot. Its just alittle concerning

I'm so confused. Does this mean only people who have previously applied to Lancaster must change their personal statement or does this apply to anyone who is resitting the year??

Ohh right. Erm no I have NOT contacted Liverpool but like you say I have not seen anything like that for Liverpool and if it were the case I'm sure they would have clearly mentioned it like Lancaster did. You haven't applied to Lancaster before so you're fine and you say you've changed your statement a lot so it is probably a lot better than the old one so honestly I wouldn't worry about it.

Original post by Rumschpringe
I'm so confused. Does this mean only people who have previously applied to Lancaster must change their personal statement or does this apply to anyone who is resitting the year??

Hey it just applies to people that have applied to Lancaster before...hmm not sure why it would apply to people resitting the year unless one applied before but is also resitting the year in which case it would also apply to them. If one is resitting the year but hasn't applied before it wouldn't apply to them as it would be the first statement they have submitted to Lancaster so it would be fine:redface:
(edited 10 years ago)
GCSE: 5A 6B
A-Level: ABBc (Biology, Geography, Technology, Psychology)
Resitting one module of technology during my gap year
Sitting A-Level Chemistry for the first time during my gap year ie: not a resit

Predicted A in Technology and Chemistry so that's AAABc predicted

Working full time as a domiciliary care assistant among a reasonably average personal statement.

I shouldn't be expecting an interview, should I? lol

What system to Lancaster use to select applicants? What do they weight heavily?

Thanks
Reply 13
Hey-fellow Lancaster Uni medicine applicant here :smile:

My stats are:

GCSE: 10 A*s 1A
A Levels: A*A*A*b (Chem, Bio Maths German)

I absolutely loved Lancaster on the open day! It's such a nice campus and I really like the fact that its a small medical school and the one-to-one tuition you get. To me I preferred it to a lot of the UKCAT unis that my cough *parents* cough were trying to get me to apply to.

I'm also applying to Cambridge, UCL and Newcastle.

Hope we all get in guys!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Applied to Lancaster for medicine as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mastermccourt
A-Level: ABBc (Biology, Geography, Technology, Psychology)
Resitting one module of technology during my gap year
Sitting A-Level Chemistry for the first time during my gap year ie: not a resit

Predicted A in Technology and Chemistry so that's AAABc predicted

Working full time as a domiciliary care assistant among a reasonably average personal statement.

I shouldn't be expecting an interview, should I? lol

What system to Lancaster use to select applicants? What do they weight heavily?

Thanks

Hi There! :biggrin: I believe after you meet the GCSE criteria they assess your Personal Statement and then interview based on your GCSEs and Personal Statement.

But looking at the GCSE results you've mentioned. I'm afraid to say you don't meet their GCSE requirement I believe. I have quoted what their guidelines say below.

"In nine subjects attained by the end of year 11
you must score at least a score of 15 points from the nine
A* or A = 2 points; B = 1 point"

as you have 5 A's, that's 10 points and so 4 points for the remaining 4 B's which gives you 14. so you just miss the minimum of 15.

Just don't want you to waste an option as if you apply here they wont even look at your personal statement unless you have already achieved 3 A's+ at A2 already. I'd recommend applying somewhere else where you can play to your strengths a bit more :smile: sorry
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by msewell12
Hey-fellow Lancaster Uni medicine applicant here :smile:

My stats are:

GCSE: 10 A*s 1A
A Levels: A*A*A*b (Chem, Bio Maths German)

I absolutely loved Lancaster on the open day! It's such a nice campus and I really like the fact that its a small medical school and the one-to-one tuition you get. To me I preferred it to a lot of the UKCAT unis that my cough *parents* cough were trying to get me to apply to.

I'm also applying to Cambridge, UCL and Newcastle.

Hope we all get in guys!

Hi!,

Yeh I really like the university aswell. only worry I have is they are changing the course for 2014 a bit and i'm not sure i'd wanna be a guinea pig. Still applying here though lol, really like Lancaster.

Good Luck!!
Finally got this thread back!
Don't know if many of you noticed, but some fool of a took merged this thread with the Leicester medicine thread for a few days, but it's been sorted now.
Original post by mastermccourt

Original post by Astronaut Sloth
Hi There! :biggrin: I believe after you meet the GCSE criteria they assess your Personal Statement and then interview based on your GCSEs and Personal Statement.

But looking at the GCSE results you've mentioned. I'm afraid to say you don't meet their GCSE requirement I believe. I have quoted what their guidelines say below.

"In nine subjects attained by the end of year 11
you must score at least a score of 15 points from the nine
A* or A = 2 points; B = 1 point"

as you have 5 A's, that's 10 points and so 4 points for the remaining 4 B's which gives you 14. so you just miss the minimum of 15.

Actually, mastermcourt said he has 6Bs not 4Bs. So yes, he does meet the GCSE requirements, as his grades add up to a total of 16 points.
Reply 19
Original post by Rumschpringe
Actually, mastermcourt said he has 6Bs not 4Bs. So yes, he does meet the GCSE requirements, as his grades add up to a total of 16 points.

....they only count your top 9 GCSE's...SA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending