The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Care co-ordinator wants me to go to crisis house. Boyfriend doesn't want me to go. Want to be safe but don't want to upset him :frown:
Reply 8001
Original post by Noodlzzz
Care co-ordinator wants me to go to crisis house. Boyfriend doesn't want me to go. Want to be safe but don't want to upset him :frown:

I think you should put your safety first hun :smile:
Original post by Noodlzzz

I'm with 05autyt on this one - your health is more important. :hugs:
Original post by superwolf
Well done Poncho. :smile:

My last post was meant for you :facepalm: hope you got your stuff sorted :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PonchoKid
My last post was meant for you :facepalm: hope you got your stuff sorted :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Things are actually going pretty well thanks (:crossedf:) - got my bibliography mostly done, haven't been panicking about anything, and I'm just waiting on some feedback to do the final bits of redrafting. :smile:
Things are actually going pretty well thanks (:crossedf:) - got my bibliography mostly done, haven't been panicking about anything, and I'm just waiting on some feedback to do the final bits of redrafting. :smile:

Thats really good :smile: you CAN do it :biggrin: :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just joined and a bit anxious, but you all seem like very nice people. I wonder if you could help me? Think I might have put my original thread in the wrong place so thought I might repost it in here. Sorry if I'm doing the wrong thing :frown:

I'm applying for entry in 2014 and I'm pretty much going it alone and I'd be really grateful for some advice. I'm 20 now, going to be 21 by next September so I believe this makes me a mature student? (Although I don't feel very mature! )

I started A levels at 16 but dropped at in Christmas of the first year as I developed severe depression. Spent a number of months in hospital with very low functioning and so couldn't continue the year. Tried again next year to no avail; again I had to leave due to my mental health problems. Fast forward two years, I've had a stable job that I excel in and my mental health is greatly improving. I started A levels for the third time in September 2012 but I study at home, seeing a tutor for each subject for an hour once a week and go to work 20 hours per week as well. I wasn't expecting much for my exam results but achieved AAC in English, History and Maths respectively including full marks (120/120) in the English exam.

Now I'm filling in my UCAS application and it asks about declaring disabilities. Although I am much better now, I do still have some difficulties with concentration, low mood and social interactions and that did affect my maths grades (panic attack in first maths exam sigh). The trouble is, I feel very uncomfortable talking about what has happened to me and my needs and embarassed about asking for help - I had to be cajoled into accepting additional time for my exams last year.

Is it worth declaring on my personal statement? Should I ask my tutor (who is writing my reference) to mention it? I want to retake this summer, should I talk about that? I'm feeling very alone at the moment around this and none of my tutors are experienced in university applications. Any help would be very appreciated!
Original post by hazelwoof
Just joined and a bit anxious, but you all seem like very nice people. I wonder if you could help me? Think I might have put my original thread in the wrong place so thought I might repost it in here. Sorry if I'm doing the wrong thing :frown:

I'm applying for entry in 2014 and I'm pretty much going it alone and I'd be really grateful for some advice. I'm 20 now, going to be 21 by next September so I believe this makes me a mature student? (Although I don't feel very mature! )

I started A levels at 16 but dropped at in Christmas of the first year as I developed severe depression. Spent a number of months in hospital with very low functioning and so couldn't continue the year. Tried again next year to no avail; again I had to leave due to my mental health problems. Fast forward two years, I've had a stable job that I excel in and my mental health is greatly improving. I started A levels for the third time in September 2012 but I study at home, seeing a tutor for each subject for an hour once a week and go to work 20 hours per week as well. I wasn't expecting much for my exam results but achieved AAC in English, History and Maths respectively including full marks (120/120) in the English exam.

Now I'm filling in my UCAS application and it asks about declaring disabilities. Although I am much better now, I do still have some difficulties with concentration, low mood and social interactions and that did affect my maths grades (panic attack in first maths exam sigh). The trouble is, I feel very uncomfortable talking about what has happened to me and my needs and embarassed about asking for help - I had to be cajoled into accepting additional time for my exams last year.

Is it worth declaring on my personal statement? Should I ask my tutor (who is writing my reference) to mention it? I want to retake this summer, should I talk about that? I'm feeling very alone at the moment around this and none of my tutors are experienced in university applications. Any help would be very appreciated!

Hey, welcome to the society. :smile:

Massive well done on getting yourself stable again and still working/studying, I know how hard that kind of thing can be! I wouldn't mention any health problems on your personal statement - that's something for your referee to do rather than you. I would declare your problems as a disability though, as there is a lot of great help available at uni, and I know a lot of us on here have struggled and regretted not asking for help sooner. It's also worth applying for DSA once you're at uni (ask your disability support office and they'll help you with it), as that gets you access to a whole load of great services (and free **** :biggrin:).

Good luck with your uni application. :biggrin:
Hey, welcome to the society. :smile:

Massive well done on getting yourself stable again and still working/studying, I know how hard that kind of thing can be! I wouldn't mention any health problems on your personal statement - that's something for your referee to do rather than you. I would declare your problems as a disability though, as there is a lot of great help available at uni, and I know a lot of us on here have struggled and regretted not asking for help sooner. It's also worth applying for DSA once you're at uni (ask your disability support office and they'll help you with it), as that gets you access to a whole load of great services (and free **** :biggrin:).

Good luck with your uni application. :biggrin:

Thanks a lot for your reply! You say I shouldn't mention my illness in my statement but is it worthwhile talking about working and studying at the same time? I've heard that it makes you look self directed and universities like that.
Original post by hazelwoof
Thanks a lot for your reply! You say I shouldn't mention my illness in my statement but is it worthwhile talking about working and studying at the same time? I've heard that it makes you look self directed and universities like that.

Yeah, I think that'd look good. :smile:
Reply 8010
Original post by tasha96
No worries. :hugs:
Yeah, very true. All worth it in the end though. :yep:
They're all too nice, that's why they put up with me. :frown:
She's talking to me again which is good. :smile: Still quite off with me though. :sad: I hope we're okay by tomorrow.
Thank you. :colondollar: I agree- it's so much easier to have the go to do things when you have a clear aim set out. :smile: I actually have a whiteboard on the book shelf beside my bed where I write all my aims for the day. :colondollar: It's the only way I get things done.
Aw glad you're doing good. :hugs: I'm not so good. :frown: Feel like I'm sliding fast. :frown:
What have you been up to? :hugs:

Lets hope so :grin:
Or they love/like you for who you are and want to be with you as much as they can. i think that's more plausible :hugs:
That's good news!! N'aww, i'm sure there'll be peace soon with you two :h:
Exactly and when you achieve the aim, it's so rewarding right? :grin: :bigsmile: Dude, I had a whiteboard too!! but i've lost it :erm: But fair play, you know how to get you motivated...that's a big plus.
Thank you hun! :hugs: Awww noooo, I hope you get better :lovehug: :jumphug: :hugs <--- Nice variety there right? :colondollar:
I've just been playing football and rugby (touch) :smile:
How about you :hugs:
Reply 8011
Original post by rmhumphries
Join a few different societies, and at least some will have (among other social events) 'proper' nights out.

Yeah, I will look into them :yep:

Original post by Anonymous
This will be a long post, I'm so sorry. Thanks to the others who quoted me too, I've lost your posts though :redface:

To be honest I can't say I've made any close friends yet, but the calmer guy I spoke about is a postgrad who is the nicest person to me in the flat. I rarely see him (I don't see much of ANY of them) but he always asks me how my day has been and stuff like that. He likes going to the clubs and stuff but he is very laid back said he won't really be doing that after Freshers as he is doing quite an intense course. I have found one similar girl at my induction, she is doing a different course but I asked her to come to a comedy night with me and we had a good time, but as soon as I got back into my room I wanted to cry again :frown: I never went out much with friends at home, in fact I would often turn down invites if I just wasn't feeling it - but they were always good to me about it and I always knew they would be there at school every day when I went in. I don't have that comfort now and I think that is what's getting to me.

I wish I had a quiet flat like you! :redface: I know what you mean about feeling lucky, I saw a homeless guy earlier and I thought to myself "I'm such an ungrateful pig". I have been given such a great opportunity. So many people have it worse than me yet I sit at home crying most of the day for no reason. Started crying just now :cry2:

That sounds decent :smile:. I had an ok time for the first few days but things have been downhill for over a week now :sad:. This was especially important for me as I didn't really have friends previously and I wanted uni to change all that. But so far all it has done is made me feel incredibly low, and I even feel unsafe at times. Doesn't help that I don't have their phone numbers.

This quiet flat isn't helping at all :sad:. I am feeling very bad right now. And by being lucky I meant that I was feeling like I wasn't having enough fun. But I also get what you are talking about. And it is actually good that you can cry and let out your emotions, for over a year now my emotions have become numb and even something really bad happening can't make me cry, which isn't good as I know that crying can help me calm down.

I feel incredibly low right now, I just want this mess to end :cry:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by IDukem
Lets hope so :grin:
Or they love/like you for who you are and want to be with you as much as they can. i think that's more plausible :hugs:
That's good news!! N'aww, i'm sure there'll be peace soon with you two :h:
Exactly and when you achieve the aim, it's so rewarding right? :grin: :bigsmile: Dude, I had a whiteboard too!! but i've lost it :erm: But fair play, you know how to get you motivated...that's a big plus.
Thank you hun! :hugs: Awww noooo, I hope you get better :lovehug: :jumphug: :hugs <--- Nice variety there right? :colondollar:
I've just been playing football and rugby (touch) :smile:
How about you :hugs:

It had better be. :tongue:
Well perhaps. :colondollar: They're still way too good to me though. :yep:
I hope so. :frown: She says she's not annoyed with me, but she's still acting really off with me. :frown:
Yeah it's a good feeling. :biggrin: It's also the only way I get anything done. :colondollar: And the voices seem to have less power over me if I keep as busy as possible, so that has to be a bonus. :smile:
Lovely variety. :tongue: :penguinhug:
Oooh nice! :biggrin: I totally get enough exercise. :ninja:
Today, I did school for an hour, then helped out with a class in the Additional Support Center at school, then played cards, then visited my grandparents, then had a senior section meeting (which went really well. :biggrin: ) and now I'm home. :tongue: Totally knackered, but that's a good thing. :colondollar:
How are you today? :hugs:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8013
Feeling somewhat better now. After crying for around 5 minutes and having a panic attack I went just outside my flat and found some of the next door lot, those who were leaving for a night out. I went in and sat there for a while, they had cake but no one offered me any :sad:. So I left and started watching Waterloo Road, it almost triggered me towards the end but luckily it seems fine so far. Really stuck now, have absolutely no idea what to do. Common sense would say I should forget them? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by avhhs
Feeling somewhat better now. After crying for around 5 minutes and having a panic attack I went just outside my flat and found some of the next door lot, those who were leaving for a night out. I went in and sat there for a while, they had cake but no one offered me any :sad:. So I left and started watching Waterloo Road, it almost triggered me towards the end but luckily it seems fine so far. Really stuck now, have absolutely no idea what to do. Common sense would say I should forget them? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you actually like these people and want to be friends with them? If so then yeah, keep making an effort. But to be honest, they don't sound especially nice, nor does it sound from your posts like you're actually interested in them as individuals, you just want to be around people. If I'm not wrong, I think you'd be better off looking elsewhere for friends, with people you genuinely like and get on with. There's nothing that says you have to be best friends with people just because you live in close proximity to each other! :tongue:
Feel really ill and i cant cope with being ill at the best of times but itll be unfair on my boyfriend to have to look after himself and me :frown:
Dont know whats wrong with me but i have a really bad feeling and would just quite like a hug from my mum :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Feel really ill and i cant cope with being ill at the best of times but itll be unfair on my boyfriend to have to look after himself and me :frown:
Dont know whats wrong with me but i have a really bad feeling and would just quite like a hug from my mum :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs: I hope it's just a passing thing, it's horrible having to cope with mental and physical illness!
:hugs: I hope it's just a passing thing, it's horrible having to cope with mental and physical illness!

Im hoping its cos iv had 2 early mornings, a tiring day today and not been sleeping properly, but i dunno :/ hiding in bed pretending i dont exist currently

Posted from TSR Mobile
Im hoping its cos iv had 2 early mornings, a tiring day today and not been sleeping properly, but i dunno :/ hiding in bed pretending i dont exist currently

Posted from TSR Mobile

:console: You did really well making it to uni and stuff, I hope you get to have a bit of a rest over the next few days now. :smile:
:console: You did really well making it to uni and stuff, I hope you get to have a bit of a rest over the next few days now. :smile:

I wasnt gonna go last night i had a massive breakdown on rory :frown: but i went and did it.
Im refusing to start any work till at least monday just to give me a rest :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest