The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk X

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8020
Original post by superwolf
Do you actually like these people and want to be friends with them? If so then yeah, keep making an effort. But to be honest, they don't sound especially nice, nor does it sound from your posts like you're actually interested in them as individuals, you just want to be around people. If I'm not wrong, I think you'd be better off looking elsewhere for friends, with people you genuinely like and get on with. There's nothing that says you have to be best friends with people just because you live in close proximity to each other! :tongue:

To be honest I think you are right. They do seem to be fobbing me off a lot, saying they are busy with assignments when they are clearly chilling or going out :rolleyes:. I would say that that girl saying that I should tell them if I want to come around was actually saying that I was not welcome, this is shown by the fobbing off (although the request itself would be perfectly reasonable I think :yep:). You are correct in saying that I just want to be around people. Clearly found myself in a stupid situation, and things could be going rapidly downhill for me - earlier I had my first panic attack for 18 months (and only the 4th one I've ever had). I'm also finding it really difficult to sleep at night. Really hate this mess :cry2:
Reply 8021
Hi everyone. A little update about moi. Prepare for a random jumble...

I'm panicking about university and I keep thinking that I'll not be able to cope with the pressure of final year. A lecture about graduation didn't really help and being constantly asked 'what do you want to do after uni?' makes me want to cry because I have no idea.

I also want to actively take part in some things at uni and where I live (volunteering, societies, uni jobs) but I'm worried about committing myself to them when i'm not sure how I will cope.

I'm worried about my Spanish seminars because my language level is embarrassingly **** for a final year student. I am terrified of speaking when I know the other students are near enough fluent and I can barely say a couple of words without reverting to French or having no idea what to say next. I'm hoping once I get back into the swing of things my level will improve but I'm not that confident.

I'm sick of being at home. I love my family but my dad is an emotionally abusing, very angry and controlling man and each day I am living with him just hacks away at patience. Also, having done well at school it is down to me to help my sister's kids with their homework and they struggle a lot. If I don't help them my dad goes on a massive rant. I spend so much time helping them but they don't care. I tell my sister that they mess around and don't listen but she doesn't believe me and says it's my fault. It's just too much pressure on top of everything else.

Contact with my best friend has been non-existent. When I message she rarely replies and she never contacts me, it's always the other way round. Feeling very sick of it now and I want to say that to her but I am too much of a coward. I have known her most of my life so I don't want to give up on our friendship. But then what's the point when it is very one sided?

Lately I have also been feeling very self-conscious (well, more than normal). I know I'm not remotely pretty but it never got me down before but now I'm comparing myself to people and looking at celebrities and feeling **** about how I look.

Before all of the above I felt really down and low so worrying about all that isn't really helping.

I feel lost, alone and scared. I just feel like I am surviving day to day and not actually living life...
(edited 10 years ago)
Just thought I would check in since I've decided to visit TSR - it's a blue moon tonight,

I'm doing OK myself - thanks to those who have supported me on here in the past in my darkest days and in my moments of despair.

I hope everyone is well? :smile:
Reply 8023
And i'm sorry for just posting about me and not being supporting or helpful at all in this thread for what seems like forever. I doubt my advice would be very good but I do try to keep up with the thread. Although I sometimes feel like a total stalker just watching from the sidelines!
Original post by luno

Contact with my best friend has been non-existent. When I message she rarely replies and she never contacts me, it's always the other way round. Feeling very sick of it now and I want to say that to her but I am too much of a coward. I have known her most of my life so I don't want to give up on our friendship. But then what's the point when it is very one sided?

New to this particular thread but I just wanted to say that you're not alone in this. It's been a year since I last saw my best friend who I've known since I was about 4. I've given up on our friendship because I figured I needed to focus on getting myself to a better place mentally instead of worrying about someone who obviously didn't care about me. I wish I could give you the answer to this but all I can say is that I've been happier since I decided I didn't care if she contacted me or not.

Sending you virtual hugs :smile:

Rachel
Reply 8025
Original post by luno
And i'm sorry for just posting about me and not being supporting or helpful at all in this thread for what seems like forever. I doubt my advice would be very good but I do try to keep up with the thread. Although I sometimes feel like a total stalker just watching from the sidelines!

Don't worry :lovehug:, I went through a period of doing that :ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by luno
Hi everyone. A little update about moi. Prepare for a random jumble...

I'm panicking about university and I keep thinking that I'll not be able to cope with the pressure of final year. A lecture about graduation didn't really help and being constantly asked 'what do you want to do after uni?' makes me want to cry because I have no idea.

I also want to actively take part in some things at uni and where I live (volunteering, societies, uni jobs) but I'm worried about committing myself to them when i'm not sure how I will cope.

I'm worried about my Spanish seminars because my language level is embarrassingly **** for a final year student. I am terrified of speaking when I know the other students are near enough fluent and I can barely say a couple of words without reverting to French or having no idea what to say next. I'm hoping once I get back into the swing of things my level will improve but I'm not that confident.

I'm sick of being at home. I love my family but my dad is an emotionally abusing, very angry and controlling man and each day I am living with him just hacks away at patience. Also, having done well at school it is down to me to help my sister's kids with their homework and they struggle a lot. If I don't help them my dad goes on a massive rant. I spend so much time helping them but they don't care. I tell my sister that they mess around and don't listen but she doesn't believe me and says it's my fault. It's just too much pressure on top of everything else.

Lately I have also been feeling very self-conscious (well, more than normal). I know I'm not remotely pretty but it never got me down before but now I'm comparing myself to people and looking at celebrities and feeling **** about how I look.

Before all of the above I felt really down and low so worrying about all that isn't really helping.

I feel lost, alone and scared. I just feel like I am surviving day to day and not actually living life...

Hey luno. :smile: Sorry I don't really have time to write out a proper reply (dissertation due in on Monday!), but I just want to say it's good to hear from you again, and don't worry too much - if I can make it through final year, anyone can. :tongue:

Original post by mathperson
Just thought I would check in since I've decided to visit TSR - it's a blue moon tonight,

I'm doing OK myself - thanks to those who have supported me on here in the past in my darkest days and in my moments of despair.

I hope everyone is well? :smile:

Glad to hear you're doing ok now. :smile: I'm not bad either, doing surprisingly well considering how stressed I've been over my dissertation in the past.

Original post by rachel-ec
New to this particular thread but I just wanted to say that you're not alone in this. It's been a year since I last saw my best friend who I've known since I was about 4. I've given up on our friendship because I figured I needed to focus on getting myself to a better place mentally instead of worrying about someone who obviously didn't care about me. I wish I could give you the answer to this but all I can say is that I've been happier since I decided I didn't care if she contacted me or not.

Sending you virtual hugs :smile:

Rachel

Welcome to the society. :smile:

200 words left to write, but I'm off to bed. :yawn: Night all.
Reply 8027
Still struggling :sad: find it very hard to sleep at night and I always seem to be tired. I'm also failing at being responsible, I need to go and get some food but I can't be bothered to leave the warmth of my bed. Really haven't felt this low in a very long time :cry2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Struggling. :cry2: They keep screaming at me that everyone I love is going to die because I ate lunch. :frown: Which I know is totally illogical, but is hard to ignore when it's in your own head. :cry2:
Reply 8029
Original post by tasha96
It had better be. :tongue:
Well perhaps. :colondollar: They're still way too good to me though. :yep:
I hope so. :frown: She says she's not annoyed with me, but she's still acting really off with me. :frown:
Yeah it's a good feeling. :biggrin: It's also the only way I get anything done. :colondollar: And the voices seem to have less power over me if I keep as busy as possible, so that has to be a bonus. :smile:
Lovely variety. :tongue: :penguinhug:
Oooh nice! :biggrin: I totally get enough exercise. :ninja:
Today, I did school for an hour, then helped out with a class in the Additional Support Center at school, then played cards, then visited my grandparents, then had a senior section meeting (which went really well. :biggrin: ) and now I'm home. :tongue: Totally knackered, but that's a good thing. :colondollar:
How are you today? :hugs:

Your friends might say the same about you too, the fact is they're your friends regardless on whether you think they're too good or if they think you're too good for them :h:
Time's a great healer :smile:
That's great to hear!! :hugs:
Hahaaa likewise :ninja:
N'aww man i'm so proud of you!! See it's the little steps that count for a lot and you're not only doing it, you're bossing it extremely well :grin:
I'm feeling all right actually, how about you? :hugs:
I don't even know anymore :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PonchoKid
I don't even know anymore :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:hugs:
Original post by superwolf
:hugs:

Tears are becoming far too overrated :frown: such a mess :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8033
Hi everyone, thought I'd say hi as I'm having a pretty hard time at the moment but everyone here seems really friendly so I'm hoping it will make me feel less isolated... Hmm... I guess we'll see how that goes! :s-smilie:
Hey all, I don't post much in here but feel I should tonight. Been feeling anxious/depressed/paranoid over the course of the past few days and just seeking advice: I've been in hospital before due to mental illness but really don't want to go through with that again. I don't think it's at that stage yet, but I have no meds til Monday (I take them on and off, I really shouldn't.) How do I go about feeling less anxious? Not been sleeping well either.
Getting stopped by the police is a lovely way to scare the living daylights out of you and panic :sad:
Original post by IDukem
Your friends might say the same about you too, the fact is they're your friends regardless on whether you think they're too good or if they think you're too good for them :h:
Time's a great healer :smile:
That's great to hear!! :hugs:
Hahaaa likewise :ninja:
N'aww man i'm so proud of you!! See it's the little steps that count for a lot and you're not only doing it, you're bossing it extremely well :grin:
I'm feeling all right actually, how about you? :hugs:

I doubt it, I'm a crap friend. :frown:
Yeah. :smile: She said today that it's not me, that there's something else which is bothering her. Which is a relief, because I thought she was still upset with me. :frown:
Thank you. :colondollar: :hugs:
Glad you're feeling good. :biggrin: :woo:
Feeling awful at the moment- voices are being loud, mood is really low and I just don't know what to do anymore. :cry2: They're telling me to do silly things to myself, and I don't want to listen but it's hard. :frown:

Original post by rhiannao
Hi everyone, thought I'd say hi as I'm having a pretty hard time at the moment but everyone here seems really friendly so I'm hoping it will make me feel less isolated... Hmm... I guess we'll see how that goes! :s-smilie:

Hello! :wavey: welcome to the soc. :hugs:
Original post by avhhs
That sounds decent :smile:. I had an ok time for the first few days but things have been downhill for over a week now :sad:. This was especially important for me as I didn't really have friends previously and I wanted uni to change all that. But so far all it has done is made me feel incredibly low, and I even feel unsafe at times. Doesn't help that I don't have their phone numbers.

This quiet flat isn't helping at all :sad:. I am feeling very bad right now. And by being lucky I meant that I was feeling like I wasn't having enough fun. But I also get what you are talking about. And it is actually good that you can cry and let out your emotions, for over a year now my emotions have become numb and even something really bad happening can't make me cry, which isn't good as I know that crying can help me calm down.

I feel incredibly low right now, I just want this mess to end :cry:

I've just had a couple of okay days but back to feeling rubbish again. I saw my family today and that was lovely but I feel so sad now that they are gone, I feel like they were here for about a few seconds despite the fact that they were over for hours and hours. My little sister kept saying she was bored and wouldn't give me a hug when I left, she is normally like that anyway but it hurt a bit today. :cry2: Also having such stupid worries, such as "I don't know what I want to do after uni", despite the fact I don't NEED to worry about that for ages. I didn't have any best friends at sixth form, I too wanted to change that at uni. It is still quite early days for both of us though :smile: Do your uni/halls have any sort of arrangement where you can talk to/get advice from students that are now in their second year? I have met two lovely girls via this, I desperately want to stay in contact with them.

My flat is loud in the wrong ways - loud music coming through the walls, loud shouting at night, loudness when they are drunk. I wish I was in a flat with four other people that didn't mind nights in but liked going out to non-drinkers' events like movies, bowling, comedy, shopping etc!!! Sorry to hear you're having a hard time letting things out. :console:
Reply 8038
So I did eventually get round to getting my shopping done :smile:. So happy that I've managed to do it considering how low I was feeling earlier.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey all, I don't post much in here but feel I should tonight. Been feeling anxious/depressed/paranoid over the course of the past few days and just seeking advice: I've been in hospital before due to mental illness but really don't want to go through with that again. I don't think it's at that stage yet, but I have no meds til Monday (I take them on and off, I really shouldn't.) How do I go about feeling less anxious? Not been sleeping well either.

Anyone?

Latest