The Student Room Group

Summer Camp in America 2014?

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, ive applied through americamp and had my interview on monday! thankfully passed, im hoping to do sports as a counselor. Im 18 now but will be 19 if/when i get to go, im sure there will be as many younger ones as old for anyone worried. Have to do my youtube video now and references which is a pain though =/ for anyone interested, as long as you have something to bring to the table skills wise and you come across as a nice person, you should be fine getting placed.
Reply 101
Original post by hannahb94
I had mine on Saturday, and there's absolutely nothing to be nervous about! It's more like an informal chat than anything else - mine was in the interviewer's home which put me at ease. We basically discussed why I wanted to do CA, what skills I had, what experience I had with children etc. The interviewer really helped me to improve my application for the best chance of placement which was nice! I'd prepare a few answers to some generic questions that most people seem to be asked - I was asked what I'd do with 40 children in a log cabin on a rainy day, how I'd deal with bullying, how I'd cope with children who were being difficult, what songs I'd sing round the campfire etc, which I've seen a lot of other people asked. I was also asked to do a (very very short) role play. Just be relaxed, confident and enthusiastic, I guess that's what they're looking for above all! Hope this helps a little bit :smile:

Hi I have just submitted my application and selected my interviewer. Just wondering what the short role play bit of your interview was like? Also, have you heard back from them yet about whether you've got through?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 102
How much experience do you need? I do sports etc, but it's mostly general stuff.. I'm not very good lol but I have a lot of work experience with children. If I don't pass an interview with camp America, would I get my deposit back? If that happens, I'll try CCUSA!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
I'm wanting to change my application to camp power as I may have more of a chance! Plus I think it is better hours, money and more free time! And still get the chance to work with the kids

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm feeling a bit more swayed towards picking Americamp, since the wages are so high compared to other companies, plus they have so many great reviews and I'm hardly seeing any bad ones. Though, hopefully that doesn't mean they're too good to be true, haha! I'll probably wait till the weekend to start properly working on my application :yep:
Does everybody have to do a youtube video? What are you supposed to say?! Im crap at things like that
Original post by Staceyc1990
Does everybody have to do a youtube video? What are you supposed to say?! Im crap at things like that

I'm not sure about other agencies, but it looks like you have to for Americamp, and I think it's only after you've passed the first interview. I'm a bit nervous about it too, but hopefully it'll be fine. There are some videos on YouTube uploaded by other applicants, if you want to get ideas :smile:

Today I've begun filling in my online application form for Americamp and it's so looong! I've probably spent about an hour on it so far, and I've still got half to do. I have to really think about some of my answers to make my application as good as possible. I'll give it my best shot anyhow and hope all goes well :biggrin:
I'm placable already! Eeek

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 108
Original post by Fabay
Hi I have just submitted my application and selected my interviewer. Just wondering what the short role play bit of your interview was like? Also, have you heard back from them yet about whether you've got through?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, sorry for the late reply! I was basically asked how I'd act with a disabled child - so my interviewer acted as though he didn't understand what I was saying, and I had to ask how he was and tell him it was time to eat. I just did it through very exaggerated hand gestures and smiles which he said was good! Found out a few days ago that I've passed the interview but I've had a problem with one of my references so until that's sorted my application can't circulate the camps. Hope this helps!
I passed my interview :smile: it was really really nice and easy. we just discussed my application and filled out a police form. Both of my references didn't have a letter head, but I just had to mail them back to her. I got a message on my camp America page saying I just need to pay my second deposit and I will be circulated :smile: so I am waiting to get paid today so I can put in my second deposit.my advice for anyone having the interview is just to smile, have a laugh, talk every single skill! She asked me about a drama award that I had and now I've got drama as an extra skill just because I did a GCSE in it and I know how to use a lighting desk and rig up lights :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just checked now and I'm ready to place :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fabay
How much experience do you need? I do sports etc, but it's mostly general stuff.. I'm not very good lol but I have a lot of work experience with children. If I don't pass an interview with camp America, would I get my deposit back? If that happens, I'll try CCUSA!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I emailed about the deposit thing and if you don't pass an interview you get your deposit back also if you don't get placed you get all your money back apart from 3rd party fees such as visa, police checks etc :biggrin:

How long did people have to wait for their interview??? I've just paid my deposit and stuff
(edited 10 years ago)
Got my interview this weekend what am I to expect???
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by beccac94
Got my interview this weekend what am I to expect???

Who have you gone with? I had mine with Camp Leaders but i'm assuming they're all quite similar. It's very informal, all the interviewers are really nice and will basically look through your application and ask you a few questions about the things you've put down and why it makes you suitable for camp. I've heard in some cases you're asked to do a role playing exercise but my interview was in starbucks so we didn't go that far haha. Don't worry about it, relax and make sure you know your application well and you'll be absolutely fine :smile:
Making my application video for americamp still, is there anyone that has got placed yet?
Reply 115
Is anyone else finding it hard to get activity pictures? Like if I go swimming I'm not allowed anyone to take pics in a swimming pool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 116
Give Americamp a shot, one of my friends used their services and cant stop talking how great time she had.
Original post by Gavlaar
Who have you gone with? I had mine with Camp Leaders but i'm assuming they're all quite similar. It's very informal, all the interviewers are really nice and will basically look through your application and ask you a few questions about the things you've put down and why it makes you suitable for camp. I've heard in some cases you're asked to do a role playing exercise but my interview was in starbucks so we didn't go that far haha. Don't worry about it, relax and make sure you know your application well and you'll be absolutely fine :smile:

I went with Camp America in the end, my mum said she would feel better if I went with them because even shes heard of them :smile: I'm going in black trousers and a black top cause I'm going straight from work do you think that would be too formal??? Oh god a roleplay how embarassing I'm doing mine at Caffe Nero so I hope I wont have to do that :tongue:
Thankyou, I hope I get passed the interview stage :smile: Do you know whether we would get helped more with out personal essay???
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 118
I went with Camp America in the end, my mum said she would feel better if I went with them because even shes heard of them :smile: I'm going in black trousers and a black top cause I'm going straight from work do you think that would be too formal??? Oh god a roleplay how embarassing I'm doing mine at Caffe Nero so I hope I wont have to do that :tongue:
Thankyou, I hope I get passed the interview stage :smile: Do you know whether we would get helped more with out personal essay???

I got offered an interview too on caffe Nero lol can you let me know what it's like please? Just to calm my nerves! I was wondering that too cos my personal essay I talk more in depth about my work experience and the skills I've gained through them. Don't know if I'm on the right tracks with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 119

Fair enough, they all do the same thing anyway :smile: I think the role play is more aimed towards those who want to work at camps for children with special needs but I might be wrong there so don't take my word for it! I'm sure you'll be fine no matter what you're asked though :smile: i'm not sure, I wasn't asked to change anything in my interview, about a day after the interview I got a phonecall saying my application had been accepted, and that if I changed a couple of details to make my application better they'll send it off as soon as possible. After a few more days and going into some more detail on my skills, I was put as 'placeable', and after a few more days I was put (and still currently am) on review at a summer camp in Maine! Super excited :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest