The Student Room Group

Feedback on my Cover Letter (Investment Banking)

Hello I need some real advice on how I could improve and polish my cover letter for a medium sized boutique investment banking firm. I have no real banking experience, so much of the things that I wrote in my covering letter are unrelated to investment banking. Please can you guys give me some constructive feedback. thank you.

...................................................................................................
Dear xxxx

My name is xxxxxxx and I have recently graduated with a Master’s degree in strategic accounting and finance from Nottingham Business School. I was introduced to your firm via the company website and was impressed with your unrivalled expertise in the technology sector and your involvement in high-profile mergers and acquisitions. I am interested in pursuing an internship position at your firm and have enclosed my resume for considerations.

At the age of eighteen, I set up my own business, which, in its first accounting period generated strong profits of £10,000. This in turn allowed me to live independently and pay my way through university without any financial assistance. During this time, I was responsible for managing a small and dynamic workforce, dealing with an extensive network of suppliers and keeping abreast of all financials. This experience has taught me the importance of multi-tasking and taking initiative in deadline-driven work environments. As part of my postgraduate degree, I had the opportunity to work on a consultancy project for a small and upcoming social enterprise (xxxxxxx). The team was responsible for conceptualising a financially viable business model compatible with social and environmental imperatives. Having implemented the team’s final proposal, the client witnessed a 10 per cent increase in her bottom-line. The skills that I have learnt from this experience is being able to approach situations in a strict and methodical way, enabling me to deconstruct problems, consider all angles and evaluate a range of possible solutions.

I am an analytical and detail-oriented individual with a keen interest in financial markets, mergers and acquisitions and debt and equity financing. Given my experience as an entrepreneur coupled with my strong academic background in accounting and finance, I believe that I am a particularly good fit for an internship position at xxxxxx. With a proven track record of maximising business performances,this internship will give me the opportunity to leverage my core strengths and competences in ways that add value to your company. More importantly, it will give me exposure to a wide range of responsibilities to develop me as an individual and propel me in a career in investment banking.

Yours sincerely,
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Graduate_1990
Hello I need some real advice on how I could improve and polish my cover letter for a medium sized boutique investment banking firm. I have no real banking experience, so much of the things that I wrote in my covering letter are unrelated to investment banking. Please can you guys give me some constructive feedback. thank you.

...................................................................................................
Dear xxxx

My name is xxxxxxx and I have recently graduated with a Master’s degree in strategic accounting and finance from Nottingham Business School. I was introduced to your firm via the company website and was impressed with your unrivalled expertise in the technology sector and your involvement in high-profile mergers and acquisitions. I am interested in pursuing an internship position at your firm and have enclosed my resume for considerations.

At the age of eighteen, I set up my own business, which, in its first accounting period generated strong profits of £10,000. This in turn allowed me to live independently and pay my way through university without any financial assistance. During this time, I was responsible for managing a small and dynamic workforce, dealing with an extensive network of suppliers and keeping abreast of all financials. This experience has taught me the importance of multi-tasking and taking initiative in deadline-driven work environments. As part of my postgraduate degree, I had the opportunity to work on a consultancy project for a small and upcoming social enterprise (xxxxxxx). The team was responsible for conceptualising a financially viable business model compatible with social and environmental imperatives. Having implemented the team’s final proposal, the client witnessed a 10 per cent increase in her bottom-line. The skills that I have learnt from this experience is being able to approach situations in a strict and methodical way, enabling me to deconstruct problems, consider all angles and evaluate a range of possible solutions.

I am an analytical and detail-oriented individual with a keen interest in financial markets, mergers and acquisitions and debt and equity financing. Given my experience as an entrepreneur coupled with my strong academic background in accounting and finance, I believe that I am a particularly good fit for an internship position at xxxxxx. With a proven track record of maximising business performances,this internship will give me the opportunity to leverage my core strengths and competences in ways that add value to your company. More importantly, it will give me exposure to a wide range of responsibilities to develop me as an individual and propel me in a career in investment banking.

Yours sincerely,

I haven't read all of this because I don't have time but at a glance it seems good. But, you need to say more about why that particular bank, how you would be a good fit for their culture, provide examples, mention a deal they've worked on, why it stuck out to you, any awards and how that differentiates them from their competitors. Don't have to do all of that, just some, because at a glance it looks like you could just send that off to any bank - it's not personalised enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can spot that mergers and inquisitions cover letter template a mile away!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=339

you could try the tsr service if you want :smile:
This wasn't wise.

Dear xxxx

Yours sincerely,

I agree that it is a bit long and waffles something on the CV. If I was the recruiter, I would expect a good CL to show your genuine interests and give some brief examples where needed, rather than just claiming you are appealed to their expertise. For example, it makes no sense to convince you are interested in a bank by saying it is always involved in high profile M&A, unless you can give a couple of examples of their recent deals to show you have done the research.

By the way, highlighting something that really matters will be better than saying you are introduced via their website... The first paragraph is where you need to really sell yourself to attract the recruiter to continue reading.. For example, you can initiate it like this:

My names is XXX, a Eco/whatever student who is aspired to build a career at XXX. It was XXX‘s cutting-edge solution to XXX’ acquisition (a recent deal)that truly impressed me - one sentence to brief what the bank has done in the deal.

Do you think this sounds more interesting as a begining? Anyway, dont be afraid to be specific and give examples. Hope it helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dear xxxx

Yours sincerely,

And for your accounting and finance experience, it is what should have differentiated you - you can relate it to a M&A analyst role and deliver it in a wiser way. Maybe like this:

I love the fact that analysts help form/structure the market where their clients compete, and the idea of reflecting companies’ financial performance through the financial statement analysis, on the leverage ratios for instance. My prior experience in accounting and finance has equiped me with consolidated financial analysis skills, which coupled with my genuine interest will prepare me to tackle rigors in the M&A career.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hey LondonBurger, would this be suffcieint as an opening paragraph, I admit its abit lengthy....

My name is xxxxxx and I have recently graduated with a Master’s degree in strategic accounting and finance from Nottingham Business School. I would like to express my interest in the graduate analyst position at xxxxxx and have enclosed my resume for considerations. Throughout my job search and conversations with investment advisors I have come to respect the professionalism that characterises your firm and its employees. I am confident that the firm’s core values would truly complement my own strengths and enthusiasm. I was impressed to learn of xxxxxx recent acquisition of xxxxxx, a strategic move which I see as indicative of the firm’s commitment to achieving growth and success in the future. The firm’s hard-earned reputation together with its highly regarded graduate program convinced me that xxxxxx is the ideal environment to begin my professional career.
Reply 8
A Partner at a Law firms told me that if they can change the name of the company on the cover letter and it still makes sense then they throw the application away. Maybe the same applies to IB, i dont know? But why not add somethings about the company you are applying to, maybe about their core values or something. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Kutta
A Partner at a Law firms told me that if they can change the name of the company on the cover letter and it still makes sense then they throw the application away. Maybe the same applies to IB, i dont know? But why not add somethings about the company you are applying to, maybe about their core values or something. :smile:
I thought I did put something specific to the firm ie its acquisition of another company in order to grow/expand...I guess using "xxxx" instead of their actual name may be the cause of this confusion, so my bad :smile:
Reply 10
I thought I did put something specific to the firm ie its acquisition of another company in order to grow/expand...I guess using "xxxx" instead of their actual name may be the cause of this confusion, so my bad :smile:

lol no its my bad that i just skimmed it lol

apologies :smile:

But after you're done here you should ask a mod to delete this thread as people WILL copy it in the future.
Original post by Kutta
lol no its my bad that i just skimmed it lol

apologies :smile:

But after you're done here you should ask a mod to delete this thread as people WILL copy it in the future.
oh thanks, never thought of that, will do. :smile:
Hey LondonBurger, would this be suffcieint as an opening paragraph, I admit its abit lengthy....

My name is xxxxxx and I have recently graduated with a Master’s degree in strategic accounting and finance from Nottingham Business School. I would like to express my interest in the graduate analyst position at xxxxxx and have enclosed my resume for considerations. Throughout my job search and conversations with investment advisors I have come to respect the professionalism that characterises your firm and its employees. I am confident that the firm’s core values would truly complement my own strengths and enthusiasm. I was impressed to learn of xxxxxx recent acquisition of xxxxxx, a strategic move which I see as indicative of the firm’s commitment to achieving growth and success in the future. The firm’s hard-earned reputation together with its highly regarded graduate program convinced me that xxxxxx is the ideal environment to begin my professional career.

I don't know who is teaching English in schools nowadays, but they need to have a word with themselves.

The only time you start a letter with 'My name is....... and I'm ........' is when you are 6 years old and writing a letter to Santa to make sure he doesn't get you confused with the nasty kid in the street next door with the same name as you.

In adult, professional letter writing it is comedy gold in the same class as putting hearts over your i's and j's. Seriously, grown ups can control their anticipation and wait until the end of the letter to find out what your name is.

Perhaps if people stopped just copying out the M&I advice and started thinking intelligently about what they are saying in their applications and why they are saying it, they'd get a better success rate.
Original post by Kutta

It's the first time I've heard of something like that, but in all honestly it wouldn't surprise me. If they feel it's overly generic they probably will discard it, even though it's often hard to avoid saying something generic. The content should be clear and concise. Rambling will not engage a potential employer. Keep sentences tight, cut out words you don’t need and link any points you make to the job role so that you stay on topic.And the golden rule that applies to writing anything, especially cover letters and CVs always read back and check over your spelling and grammar multiple times. Read more about how to write great cover letters here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending